• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just received an email from PlayStation that read as follows:

Hi *my PSN ID*,

We recognize many members of the PlayStation community have been affected by recent natural disasters. We have extended your current PlayStation™Plus membership by 1-Month.

Sincerely,
PlayStation Team

Which, hey, that's pretty cool. I live in Houston and was affected by Harvey (way less than many people though), and I suspect they maybe offered this to PSN users in affected areas.

I'm sure plenty of people in the area that were drastically affected might not even have the time to take advantage of this though, because they're too busy trying to get back on their feet. But I suppose it's a neat gesture all the same.

Any of y'all get an email like this?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Nowhere near the affected area but that was indeed a nice gesture. Something that they didn't have to do.

PS: I feel bad for clicking this thread thinking it was a game as a PS Plus bonus :/

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
nothing here, im from ohio :p

are they doing it by city i guess?

very nice gesture. kudos

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know northern-central Florida got really reeeeaaaaally lucky with Irma, but the bastard still literally passed over me later that night. I wouldn't mind a free month....

Thrillhouse

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
smatd0.jpg

Nice

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't affected but I just wanted to say that's a really cool thing for them to do for gamers in the area.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Houstonian here. I got my extra month, though my house wasn't hit that badly.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Houston, I got it.
Nice of Sony to do so, didn't expect this.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
So, I just received an email from PlayStation that read as follows:

Which, hey, that's pretty cool. I live in Houston and was affected by Harvey (way less than many people though), and I suspect they maybe offered this to PSN users in affected areas.

I'm sure plenty of people in the area that were drastically affected might not even have the time to take advantage of this though, because they're too busy trying to get back on their feet. But I suppose it's a neat gesture all the same.

Any of y'all get an email like this?

Also a Houstonian. Received the email and appreciated the gesture. Not bad, Sony.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them really to extend a hand like that, very thoughtful of them IMO.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in Orlando and didn't get anything :/ Probabaly has something to do with the fact that I use to live in Chicago and am down here for college. Still sucks that I was here during the hurricane and lost power.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
It seems like a good move, but one that also has the potential to inconvenience people. Since unlike its competitor, you can't cancel the service early and must let it run out instead. This can be bad because if you have a PS Plus rental "free game" as they call it, and you want to own it, and the license is gonna be pulled, AND the timing is bad, then you can easily have another "can't buy Scott Pilgrim" scenario where your only choice is to eternally rent with a subscription, because you couldn't buy it while it was still available because you had PS plus. While I am always pro kind gestures, I have to recognize anything that takes away options for the consumer as well.

Shame really, because this could be easily fixed if they either gave you the option to cancel early like their competitor, or allowed you to buy things while on a plus rental. Either or would be great pro-consumer moves, because more choice and consumer control is always a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a good move, but one that also has the potential to inconvenience people. Since unlike its competitor, you can't cancel the service early and must let it run out instead. This can be bad because if you have a PS Plus rental "free game" as they call it, and you want to own it, and the license is gonna be pulled, AND the timing is bad, then you can easily have another "can't buy Scott Pilgrim" scenario where your only choice is to eternally rent with a subscription, because you couldn't buy it while it was still available because you had PS plus. While I am always pro kind gestures, I have to recognize anything that takes away options for the consumer as well.

Shame really, because this could be easily fixed if they either gave you the option to cancel early like their competitor, or allowed you to buy things while on a plus rental. Either or would be great pro-consumer moves, because more choice and consumer control is always a good thing.

Hah, what in the world are you even going on about here?

Anyway, a very nice gesture.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
A nice gesture.

When I first saw the thread I thought it'd be about a couple of themes I saw they were selling on the store a little while back for what they called disaster relief efforts.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Hah, what in the world are you even going on about here?

Anyway, a very nice gesture.
A legitimate complaint of oversight.

If you are with an active PS+ subscription, even a mere trial, you cannot cancel it early, period. You must let it run its entire duration instead. The competition does have the option to cancel when you want, completely on your terms, which is more pro-consumer as it gives you control and a choice. Why is this important? Well, it's not for the competition, because if you have their online service and a rental game, a "free" game as they call it, is available, you still have the option to buy a license and own it outright, regardless of future subscription status. On PS Plus, last I checked and used, you CANNOT purchase a game that you currently have a rental or "free" pass for. This means you must let your PS+ lapse for at least a bit to actually own these games as opposed to renting them. Why is this bad? Well, suppose a game is about to be delisted due to licensing issues. Scott Pilgrim is an example of such game. It was available as a PS+ rental, but then they announced it would be pulled. Those people that never bought it and happened to have plus had no choice TO buy it, and can never buy it again, instead they must forever pay and forever rent to play. That is not consumer friendly, so adding a month, that was not planned by the consumer, and not giving the option to lapse the service to buy stuff according to their original plans is a legitimate concern.

Luckily, if they wanted to, they could make this a non-issue by either letting you cancel when you want, or buy what you have rented.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A legitimate complaint of oversight.

If you are with an active PS+ subscription, even a mere trial, you cannot cancel it early, period. You must let it run its entire duration instead. The competition does have the option to cancel when you want, completely on your terms, which is more pro-consumer as it gives you control and a choice. Why is this important? Well, it's not for the competition, because if you have their online service and a rental game, a "free" game as they call it, is available, you still have the option to buy a license and own it outright, regardless of future subscription status. On PS Plus, last I checked and used, you CANNOT purchase a game that you currently have a rental or "free" pass for. This means you must let your PS+ lapse for at least a bit to actually own these games as opposed to renting them. Why is this bad? Well, suppose a game is about to be delisted due to licensing issues. Scott Pilgrim is an example of such game. It was available as a PS+ rental, but then they announced it would be pulled. Those people that never bought it and happened to have plus had no choice TO buy it, and can never buy it again, instead they must forever pay and forever rent to play. That is not consumer friendly, so adding a month, that was not planned by the consumer, and not giving the option to lapse the service to buy stuff according to their original plans is a legitimate concern.

Luckily, if they wanted to, they could make this a non-issue by either letting you cancel when you want, or buy what you have rented.
Just take the free month and go. You are looking into this too much.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in South Texas and got it as well, although all we got down here was a scare. Still a classy move on Sony's part.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. North Texas, I wasn't effected in the slightest (well, other than the gas prices hiking for a week thanks to people's mass hysteria), but received the extension.

That's really cool of them, but I do hope that there are no problems with others receiving it. Especially those that this is actually meant for.

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Was without power for 2 weeks and had a leak in my roof. Awesome of Sony to just do this bit of goodwill.

In Orlando btw

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Houston but I didn't get it. That's fine though, it's a nice gesture and I already have my year paid for so it doesn't matter. I'm sure this will mean the world to some people.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Sony. Didn't have to extend it, but did it anyhow. Totally deserving of the good publicity they'll receive from this.