• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've recently purchased a PS4 and I'm in a situation where cloud storage makes a lot of sense - but to my shock, it's half baked. Not only do you have to pay for it (unlike Xbox's free unlimited storage), it's limited to 100gb for some reason and you manually need to download the files you wish to use. And auto upload seems to only work on your primary console, and even then seems unreliable. On the Xbox One, since day one, cloud saves have just worked - no matter if I'm paying for gold, playing on my friends console, everything magically syncs across and I'm always able to access my saves. Even the Xbox 360 had an easier to understand cloud storage system (also had auto achievement/trophy syncing).

I hope all next gen consoles do this, because it's such a handy feature!

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer only downloading manually, because I have situations/games where I don't necessarily want my main save on a separate system. It needs to be less steps to grab it, because most situations are obviously you want it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They need to sort out backing up saves in general. I use USB to back up and it can take hours - like why? These aren't big files... why does it take so long to transfer them over?

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Lost a bunch of old single player saves randomly one day on my ps4 and that's when I learned their cloud save system was trash.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
PSN really has some "minor" things and inconsistencies to fix that aren't so minor anymore.

QOL stuff but still.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
What's worse is even if you pay for it, it only backs up saves for only that account which is paying for it. Afaik every other service like MP and free games work across all accounts on one system.

Mar 23, 2018
What? It's not "locking your saves behind a paywall". You can save locally and even backup on to USB storage. Only the cloud backup of saves is behind the paywall.

If they had an "auto backup to USB" function then I wouldn't be as upset. But manually backing up your saves is a pain. You never know when your PS4 or hard drive will fail. I've lost a ton of saves because of this.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If not improve the game save management. Not really a fan of it, but at least it's there.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They could be free, but seeing as I'm on PS+ regardless that hasn't been an issue personally. I actually prefer the way Sony does it. If you're playing something like Monster Hunter World with shit RNG for decorations, you can actually reroll the RNG fairly easily with save scumming due to Sony allowing you to manually save to the Cloud, and manually download from the Cloud. Xbox has to jump through a lot of hoops to try to accomplish the same thing, to the point where it isn't worth it because you don't wanna do something wrong and fuck up your save.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They could be free, but seeing as I'm on PS+ regardless that hasn't been an issue personally. I actually prefer the way Sony does it. If you're playing something like Monster Hunter World with shit RNG for decorations, you can actually reroll the RNG fairly easily with save scumming due to Sony allowing you to manually save to the Cloud, and manually download from the Cloud. Xbox has to jump through a lot of hoops to try to accomplish the same thing, to the point where it isn't worth it because you don't wanna do something wrong and fuck up your save.
That sounds like a pretty niche scenario, how many PlayStation users are using cloud saves for that?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I actually prefer only downloading manually, because I have situations/games where I don't necessarily want my main save on a separate system. It needs to be less steps to grab it, because most situations are obviously you want it.
Less steps than pressing options on the game tile then going to upload /download save data?

Not many really

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What? It's not "locking your saves behind a paywall". You can save locally and even backup on to USB storage. Only the cloud backup of saves is behind the paywall.

but who in the hell wants to save game saves to USB in 2019? I use to do that on my PS3 and that was a hassle back then, I'm surprised you guys still do that? I can't remember the last time I even thought about game saves.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it's really ridiculous. I have a ps4 pro in the living room and my launch model in our bedroom and sometimes I want to go upstairs and continue where I left off for an hour or so before I go to sleep and the activating as primary every time, or manually downloading saves thing fucking sucks ass. Who gives a fuck if people game share, I bought two of your fucking consoles, let me play my shit, damn.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
$60/year. For most people this fee is mandatory anyway because you also need it to go online in most games and online connectivity is pretty much a basic feature these days. It's why cloud saves behind a paywall isn't making much noise.
I get that but Sony also has that "free to play games don't require Plus to play online" thing going on as well so it probably impacts more than we know.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that but Sony also has that "free to play games don't require Plus to play online" thing going on as well so it probably impacts more than we know.
That's not entirely the case. Destiny 2 still requires Plus even though it's free to play. Also happened with Battleborn F2P earlier but nobody noticed because it's Battleborn. It's pretty arbitrary at this point if you need Plus or not.

Charging for cloud saves is like holding u ransom in this day and age lol
I'd consider charging for basic online access the same, but both consoles do it. Microsoft is not getting any points here, they came up with this stupid scheme in the first place.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a pretty niche scenario, how many PlayStation users are using cloud saves for that?

It's actually fairly common, especially among the trophy hunting community. I prefer the manual aspect of the cloud saves as well, I like being the one in 100% control of what gets backed up and when, personally. I leave auto-upload off

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really ridiculous. I have a ps4 pro in the living room and my launch model in our bedroom and sometimes I want to go upstairs and continue where I left off for an hour or so before I go to sleep and the activating as primary every time, or manually downloading saves thing fucking sucks ass. Who gives a fuck if people game share, I bought two of your fucking consoles, let me play my shit, damn.

Yeah, I've got two Xboxes in the house in different rooms and a gaming PC in another room. I don't even think about my saves when I move between the consoles and the computer. I don't have to upload anything or manually back anything up. I just close the game on the Xbox One X and open it up on the OG or on my PC and it just works. Same when I go to a friends house and log in with my account on their console. It's seamless.

When I got my Pro I ended up selling my OG PS4 rather than putting it in another room partly because I couldn't be bothered with manually juggling save files between the consoles every time. I've done it when I've taken my HDD of games to a friends house before and had to manually upload/download my saves and it's just a hassle. I can't be bothered with that.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problems with it so far. The 100GB seem fine, I think I used 2GB so far, but the 1000 file limit is weird since some games create a lot of them. Also no automatic downloads/uploads, please. Or at least make it optional. I want to control which cloud saves I download/upload.

Nov 8, 2017
but who in the hell wants to save game saves to USB in 2019? I use to do that on my PS3 and that was a hassle back then, I'm surprised you guys still do that? I can't remember the last time I even thought about game saves.
I don't still backup to USB, except for the occasional save data that is extremely valuable to me (of which there are only two right now); I've been paying for PS+ since the beginning of 2012, back then for IGC and currently for online play, so I've been using cloud saves for years.

But even if you don't have PS+, the option of USB backup is still better than nothing.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
That's not entirely the case. Destiny 2 still requires Plus even though it's free to play. Also happened with Battleborn F2P earlier but nobody noticed because it's Battleborn. It's pretty arbitrary at this point if you need Plus or not.
Both of those weren't F2P from the beginning, so that does not make it arbitrary which games are exempt from the policy. Maybe there is something preventing paid games later going F2P to revert their PS+ requirement.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But even if you don't have PS+, the option of USB backup is still better than nothing.

It is indeed better than the situation in Switch where you're just screwed if you're not a Nintendo Online sub. Especially on a portable console that is much more likely to be lost/stolen/broken.

OP
OP
ry-dog

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think 100gb is fine but what's really bad is the limit to 1000 save files. had to manually delete my many days gone saves in the cloud because of that.

1000 files? That's worse than I thought, few games are 100mb, so you effectively have a lot less than 100gb

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, PSN+PS4 is painful to use in comparison, needlessly convoluted. Think its nuts to assume people carry usbs around like they do pens. I know i wont have to do anything for Scarlet, just login and everything will synchronise. I have an additional Xbox, i also login to my mates Xbox now and again, i dont ever think about picking up from where i left off, it just works.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah, PSN+PS4 is painful to use in comparison, needlessly convoluted. Think its nuts to assume people carry usbs around like they do pens. I know i wont have to do anything for Scarlet, just login and everything will synchronise. I have an additional Xbox, i also login to my mates Xbox now and again, i dont ever think about picking up from where i left off, it just works.
This, i have my account on my brother in laws Xbox. When we go upstate to visit and i have to take care of something in a GaaS game (say like Xur in Destiny) I'm on and off in under 5 minutes thanks to cloud saves.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't like if your account isn't on the primary console, it won't auto upload saves at all and there's no means to download games to using browsers/phone to the console the account is on which isn't primary.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Even Gears Pop mobile game syncs between phone and Windows 10. I use it on Windows 10 to redeem my MS rewards points to buy stuff on it play a few games and go back to Mobile.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. One area where MS just kills them.
Agree with the OP and this.

Here's where it gets even stranger....PS4 can do simultaneous downloads...but it can't upload saves if you are downloading a game.

Granted, it could be my setup, I use wifi with an Xfinity router. It's best to just put that in bridge mode and use your own router, as long as it's better.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I transfer my saves to a usb-stick. Safe, free and simple.

You knows what's more simple and also free? Not having to do it manually like OP is suggesting.

That being said, I do love that USB backup is an option. I want that option everywhere and it currently isn't. But even though PlayStation has that option, their cloud solution could still be improved.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to this thread for reminding me that PS4 Cloud saves are tied to PS Plus. I was just about to let my PS Plus expire because I don't feel like I use it, but I guess I do? JFC Sony. Just give us those for free. I wanna bring my PS4 saves to PS5 without having to remember to back them up first.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I've got two Xboxes in the house in different rooms and a gaming PC in another room. I don't even think about my saves when I move between the consoles and the computer. I don't have to upload anything or manually back anything up. I just close the game on the Xbox One X and open it up on the OG or on my PC and it just works. Same when I go to a friends house and log in with my account on their console. It's seamless.

When I got my Pro I ended up selling my OG PS4 rather than putting it in another room partly because I couldn't be bothered with manually juggling save files between the consoles every time. I've done it when I've taken my HDD of games to a friends house before and had to manually upload/download my saves and it's just a hassle. I can't be bothered with that.
Yeah it's crazy. Pc to my xbox? No problem. Xbox to my PC? No problem. My PC to my GFs PC? Easy peasy. PS4 to my PS4 pro? "Well actually, what you do is set your secondary ps4 as primary, and then when you want to go from your main to your upstairs unit, just manually upload your cloudsaves before you shut the ps4 off. Then go upstairs and manually download them to your upstairs ps4. Oh and dont worry if it seems like the system is frozen, sometimes it hangs for 5 minutes and you have to reboot it, no biggie"