• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I am speaking about the business side of it. It just doesnt make sense for them. At least not yet.

Of course I would want to pay $60 and play all Sony AAA games for the entire year. But it is just not realistic imo. Again, at least not currently.
What will change that? Them having to fail? Not be market leader? Cuz those are the only reasons why I see people keep saying that.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding other users using PS NOW on a Primary console it does work however I seem to recall it being like this for my setup.

I think my son can't run and select titles from the PS NOW app selection itself but any games that I, as the primary PS NOW paying account, add to my games list (and thus appear in the main PS4 UI games list) he can play. I think. He definitely plays PS NOW games on his account, that was the reason I subbed for a year at ÂŁ54.99 last November, I just remember it being not as straightforward.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
As a consumer, I have a vested interest in the services and products I enjoy being part of a sustainable business model. GamePass has yet to actually prove itself in the long term.

Huh? Like...what?

So, did you wait to buy a PS3 until it was making money? I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

You're worried about Sony's bottom line? Or are you saying that you don't want first party titles there because you believe it will lead to them getting rid of PSNow if it doesn't make them enough money?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Like...what?

So, did you wait to buy a PS3 until it was making money? I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

You're worried about Sony's bottom line? Or are you saying that you don't want first party titles there because you believe it will lead to them getting rid of PSNow if it doesn't make them enough money?

I'm saying I'm going to be playing Spider-man 2 and God of War 2 and Horizon 2 in the next few years because their huge budgets were justified by their huge sales. Meanwhile a service like Netflix cancelled its entire slate of high quality Marvel shows for reasons, and we have yet to see if revenue from GP will justify the development costs of something like Halo Infinite. At this point MS putting all their games on GP day one is a panic move based on how poorly their sales have gone this gen (and the generally poor quality of their first party output). This being the "future of gaming" is a totally open question right now, not a foregone conclusion like a lot of people want to assume.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they just added socom 2 or confrontation with online play, id finally bite

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm saying I'm going to be playing Spider-man 2 and God of War 2 and Horizon 2 in the next few years because their huge budgets were justified by their huge sales. Meanwhile a service like Netflix cancelled its entire slate of high quality Marvel shows for reasons, and we have yet to see if revenue from GP will justify the development costs of something like Halo Infinite. At this point MS putting all their games on GP day one is a panic move based on how poorly their sales have gone this gen (and the generally poor quality of their first party output). This being the "future of gaming" is a totally open question right now, not a foregone conclusion like a lot of people want to assume.

Ok. But right now I'm not sure why that means you can't want/expect that kind of value being added to a service.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Follows the same rules as downloaded games if primary account holder of PS4 than yes if not no.
No I can confirm this every time my little brother tries to launch it on his console it does not let him. It's looking for an active subscription on like PS plus or regular shared game

Which is which guys? I'm tempted to get this only if downloaded games are shareable to other users within the same PS4.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Which is which guys? I'm tempted to get this only if downloaded games are shareable to other users within the same PS4.
I don't know myself since I just resubscribed (I'll find out tonight), but either you or Sangetsu-II are wrong since you're saying conflicting things.
QWARK!!!!!

Have things changed? What's the verdict, i didn't have a chance to test this again last night with my younger brother.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
QWARK!!!!!

Have things changed? What's the verdict, i didn't have a chance to test this again last night with my younger brother.
Sorry, I didn't have time to test it last night. I did a little research though, and at one point the subscribed user had to actually start the game on that system, then any sub users could use it, allegedly. Not sure if that's still true or if it ever was.

Also, the deal is long gone. Sorry poklane.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There's no way this was going to be the new official price unless Sony had no plans to improve the service.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
There's no way this was going to be the new official price unless Sony had no plans to improve the service.
It was a deal. Probably an indirect marketing, Sony peaking out and saying "hey guys, we already have a cloud streaming service!"

Their price will adjust according to competitor's price. Doubt it'll drop as I expect everyone else to go $10/month price point.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I didn't have time to test it last night. I did a little research though, and at one point the subscribed user had to actually start the game on that system, then any sub users could use it, allegedly. Not sure if that's still true or if it ever was.

Also, the deal is long gone. Sorry poklane.

this would make total sense............i never launched steep.....................

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

hmmm....you know Disney are coming out with their own streaming service yeah?

You think Netflix cancelled those shows because....reasons?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
QWARK!!!!!

Ok, so I tried it out tonight. Everything works like you would expect a normal digital PS4 game to work. A secondary user can stream or play a downloaded game on the system that the subscriber has set as primary. The only limitation that I could find is that the secondary cannot trigger the download, the subscriber has to do that in the PS Now app. But the secondary can access the PS Now app and stream anything or play anything that's already downloaded. I'm not sure if it was different before, but it seems to be pretty flexible now.

Played around with it tonight and was pretty impressed, played some Tokyo Jungle, Ni No Kuni, and Shadow of the Beast. Everything worked really well. It didn't look quite as good as if I was playing natively, but no artifacting and I didn't notice any latency at all. There was about 1 second where the sound cut out, but that was really it.

One thing that kind of annoys me though is holes in the library. They have Dead Space 3, but not 1 and 2. Same with Resistance 3, but not 1 and 2. I'm not going to start on the third one. Hopefully they bring those back at some point.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I tried it out tonight. Everything works like you would expect a normal digital PS4 game to work. A secondary user can stream or play a downloaded game on the system the the subscriber has set as primary. The only limitation that I could find is that the secondary cannot trigger the download, the subscriber has to do that in the PS Now app. But the secondary can access the PS Now app and stream anything or play anything that's already downloaded. I'm not sure if it was different before, but it seems to be pretty flexible now.

Played around with it tonight and was pretty impressed, played some Tokyo Jungle, Ni No Kuni, and Shadow of the Beast. Everything worked really well. It didn't look quite as good as if I was playing natively, but no artifacting and I didn't notice any latency at all. There was about 1 second where the sound cut out, but that was really it.

One thing that kind of annoys me though is holes in the library. They have Dead Space 3, but not 1 and 2. Same with Resistance 3, but not 1 and 2. I'm not going to start on the third one. Hopefully they bring those back at some point.

Thanks for confirming. I''ve tried the streaming two years ago and was getting decent speeds and very little latency but I'm really interested in the download feature thus wanted to know if the games can be shared. Thanks also for checking if the streaming works with other users. That's great news for me.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate how Amazon has random deals like this where they don't tell you how long it's going to last

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so I tried it out tonight. Everything works like you would expect a normal digital PS4 game to work. A secondary user can stream or play a downloaded game on the system that the subscriber has set as primary. The only limitation that I could find is that the secondary cannot trigger the download, the subscriber has to do that in the PS Now app. But the secondary can access the PS Now app and stream anything or play anything that's already downloaded. I'm not sure if it was different before, but it seems to be pretty flexible now.

Sounds good, sounds like I need to start initiating the games before hand. Thanks for the confirmation. Time to change my gameplan for my younger brother.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I gave the trial a go, but overall didn't feel the service was worth it in its current state, at least in my experience. The latency was only a little bit worse than the Project Stream beta, but one thing I pretty much never experienced during Project Stream was random slowdown and frame stuttering. It didn't happen with every game, but with some of the more demanding titles it got so bad it was literally making me feel ill (like playing FFXV on base PS4).

Also, the games take literally 2-5 minutes to start up each time, lol. It's like "Netflix: Windows XP Edition".

Sony may have been first to the game, but they don't yet have the server power of Google. With some more investment this could probably be a great service in the future. But it doesn't feel fully "there" and saleable to me right now.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
hmmm....you know Disney are coming out with their own streaming service yeah?

You think Netflix cancelled those shows because....reasons?
You mean the same Disney streaming service that's going to be aimed entirely at kids and families, which means no mature content whatsoever? Why is it so hard for some people to realise that Netflix cancelled the Marvel shows because they weren't popular enough to justify how expensive they were?

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mean to bump a dead thread, but I got in on this and I'm mostly pleased. I played a bunch of MK 11 (which I'd never really buy) and had a good time, apart from a few issues with loading/freezing, I was able to forget about the fact I wasn't playing locally.

Attempting the same on PC (I'd played on PS4 previously) didn't yield quite the same experience. While the image quality was great, there was more noticeable lag. Enough to play a slower game, but not MK. I'll try wiring the PC to see if that helps with latency.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
They announced 12 new games the first week of March. Will they likely do the same for April? Can we expect new games in the next few days?