• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like probably something like you hack someone's master account. Create sub-accounts and are able to use those sub-accounts to make purchases without the cvv?

If this is the case, it's no different to how Apple and Google do things with family setups.

This might be a whole load of nothing.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Clickbait, this is nothing to do with Sony, the same "exploit" exists all over online services. Just make sure you use 2FA

This is probably nothing

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
One other user familiar with the exploit informed us that the way sellers are doing this is that they are racking up credit card balances from one user, and applying it to three other PlayStation accounts that get placed on separate consoles to be sold; although they'll eventually be banned if they ever go online.

There are several others out there with the exact same scenario, which all pertain to the use of the Family management sub-account, something we didn't want to originally state in the article due to it being a part of the exploit.

Yeah I see what's going on here. This is a nothingburger and the exact same thing could happen if a Google or Apple account got compromised with CC details saved.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Again, Amazon would prompt for CVV if you shipped to a new address.

Again, the proper PS console buying experience after logging in from a new console is to prompt for CVV regardless of any other settings. There's an exploit to bypass that.

I'm asked religiously by Amazon for CVV when shipping to a new address, but I don't think I've ever been asked for digital (audible) purchases, which seems the closer analog. I'll test that again though to be sure...

You're right though, that if Sony intended this extra layer of fraud prevention, they should fix any ways to bypass it. But it sounds like a failure of their extra paranoia than a failure to implement policies required by e.g. card issuers.

edit - On that matter of Amazon's CVV policy, I tested just now with Audible, on a non-subscription purchase, on a machine I've never used for it before, and it didn't ask for my CVV.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I've edited the thread title to be less alarmist. Until further information comes out that suggests that this is worse than it seems it's best we don't spread FUD.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an online exploit that's been around for some time. I've heard of it before being used on google but also something that is easily traced.

I'm not sure it's specific to a consoles.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would either edit the OP or put a threadmark about this being nothing (well, not nothing, but an exploit that exists in pretty much every service).

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jfc people time and fucking time again. TURN ON FUCKING 2FA!!! It's there for a goddamn reason. If you are really that concerned about an exploit then why the fuck don't you have it on already?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I would either edit the OP or put a threadmark about this being nothing (well, not nothing, but an exploit that exists in pretty much every service).

Well, the wider situation is not really an exploit - card issuers just don't seem to require refreshing tokens in this context. So in that sense you're not any more vulnerable to fraud than on other services that don't require a CVV re-entry on new machines. These policies are by design rather than by omission it seems.

Where there is a failure here is that Sony seemingly does intend, on its own part, to ask for a CVV re-entry on a new machine. It seems to intend to go beyond what card issuers require. But there's a way to get past that seemingly. - so if Sony wants this extra layer of fraud prevention to be effective they should fix that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So to be clear: You have hackers with access to your PSN account which has saved payment method of credit card details, they know your 2FA code. Can log in whenever they want, play your games, delete your Gjallarhorns or whatever. But not make purchases - previously this hasn't bothered you at all, because "well, I'm safe because the hackers don't know my card's CVV. Don't need to do anything about this situation ever". But now, it's red alert all hands on deck?
It was late at night brother relax

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
After 2011 I haven't saved a payment method in my Playstation account and I probably never will.

People know nothing came of that right?

Everyone's card details were encrypted, there were no real verified occasions of details being stolen and money being taken from anyone. Sony even offered insurance for anyone affected and came out and said that there were no incidents of fraud related do the 2011 PSN incident.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
One could probably compile some decent statistics around number of posters who clearly do not read the original post when they initially reply. First page here does paint a pretty picture of this.

You can definitely tell who took the time to read the article and who didn't.

There's plenty to criticise Sony over (why are they still only allowing SMS 2FA?) but this aint it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the videos, if there is an exploit, it seems to be due to when you add payment info by the website and then confirm that info on the console, then all payment infos become trusted on the console. Although that isn't completely proven by the videos.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone use a cc on a Sony service after what happened a couple of years ago?

Ok maybe not everyone is aware, I'm sure most gamers are though.

[EDIT I didn't see the update, ugh, gonna read...]

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you been effed once they got the account, so..........
I have to wonder how now a days one would manage to get someones psn unless they shared the account?

Typically by using the same password everywhere on the Internet so when there's one breach, everything becomes wide open.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
People know nothing came of that right?

Everyone's card details were encrypted, there were no real verified occasions of details being stolen and money being taken from anyone. Sony even offered insurance for anyone affected and came out and said that there were no incidents of fraud related do the 2011 PSN incident.
Shhhhhhhh get outta here with facts

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, you been effed once they got the account, so..........
I have to wonder how now a days one would manage to get someones psn unless they shared the account?

You keep putting the cart before the horse. If they got past your 2FA to actually get your account like I said you have much bigger problems because that means they have access to your emails and cell texts.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Again, the proper PS console buying experience after logging in from a new console is to prompt for CVV regardless of any other settings. There's an exploit to bypass that.

Not every-time it doesn't. I've never been asked to do it on digital purchases when i bought them from a new machine. Last week, I bought a kindle book at my mom's house on a new computer she got and amazon didn't ask for a CVV. That is probably more comparable than shipping a physical product to a new address than something digital. And as stated before ms, google, apple, steam, etc all do it this way. Once you have verified your account and cc info once, it will be stored unless you turn on an option to ask every time or never store your cc info. If you have 2fa on, your likely not going to be effected by this. You would only be effected if your account is hacked and then they could make multiple accounts sub accounts and purchase things without needing your cc info. I will agree sony should address this(as should all other companies instead of just going "do you have 2fa on? No? Meh not our fault"), but wanted to point out that amazon doesn't do this every time like you claimed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Read about this yesterday and decided not to post any kind of hot takes because I was expecting for more developments to come out. Glad to have done that and avoiding looking like a fool lol, I already went through that when Sony supposedly was holding back Destiny 2 cross-progression or whatever it was, only for it to not be true and eating fresh crow.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
After my child was able to buy vbucks even after entering the wrong password, I took my credit card off. I reported it to Sony support but they didn't believe me, even though I could recreate the issue myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

I liferally ordered some equipment and conversion cables from my office using a coworkers computer, and added my office's address to ship it there (had never done so before) using my amazon login.

Didn't get asked for CVV.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
This is nothing, but I would still urge anyone to not give Sony their credit card info directly. I haven't since 2011.

Good rule for all companies really, but Sony in particular after that hack.