• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Name for OT 12

• |OT 12| Timed Exclusive until |OT 13|

Votes: 398 44.0%
  • |OT 12| Next Gen is Miles Morales Away

Votes: 61 6.7%
  • |OT12| Are We The Baddies?

Votes: 352 38.9%
  • |OT12| Is This Even Legal

Votes: 66 7.3%
  • |OT12| Anti-ConSony is great to me

Votes: 28 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
AccurateFaroffBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif
Chaos is a ladder

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The thing about Spider-Man is that Sony's literally launching the PS5 with their main character being Miles Morales. Spider-Man is literally the Master Chief of Sony's next-gen console launch. Of course they want him to be exclusive to Avengers as well!

I'm actually surprised they pulled it off, though. Seems wild in an age where content exclusives are things like gun skins and maps!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the official narrative from Sony, Insomniac and Marvel is that Marvel was basically looking a developer & publisher for their IPs, they went to Sony, Sony went to Insomniac and they basically got free reigns to pick whatever Marvel IP they wanted but I just have a really hard time believing the Spider-Man games being PlayStation exclusive, Spider-Man appearing in the MCU and now this deal for the Avengers game aren't just one big package deal. When Marvel and Sony started negotiations to have Spider-Man in the MCU I easily could have seen Sony negotiating the video games license as part of that deal, and maybe him being PlayStation exclusive for the Avengers game was part of that extension they signed a while ago.
I think this more about Marvel having confidence on Sony due to Spiderman PS4 and all around first party sales.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
Attention Square Enix fans, check this post that Transistor verified :

I wonder if that rumored Guardians of the Galaxy game from Eidos Montreal is part of this collaboration. If it is, Sony probably has some exclusive content for it since they seemingly want to be the go to place for big budget Marvel gaming content.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, weren't people surprised by the latest War Table showing? I know it turned my opinion around on the game

The traffic it's generated in less than an hour is already above the war table thread.

I get it. It's shitty. I also don't like the next gen version of Yakuza 7 being time exclusive to Series X and I'd rather see Sony throwing money to fund a JRPG, but that's business I guess.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if we are gonna keep having meltdowns this week, we are gonna need a new thread fast. this thing aint gonna last till SoP

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As vile as Capitalism is in so many(most) other places, I've honestly never been able to muster much of a pitchfork against something as trivial as luxury item/service exclusivity.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
All corporations are anti-consumer. They're only pro their own bottom line. Anybody who thinks big corporations like Sony, Apple, or Microsoft actually care about them are severely deluded.
Like... exclusive and timed exclusive DLC suck. Exclusive and timed exclusive third party games suck. Nobody denies that. But they aren't going anywhere and everybody is doing it. Singling out Sony is exhausting.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. Like, I remember getting pretty pissed at all the money hatting MS did back on the 360, but it is what it is. Being Playstation + Nintendo + PC (just got a new gaming PC earlier this year) makes it pretty hard to get upset about any exclusive deals anyway. Plus as others have pointed out, the influx of cash from platform holders for these deals can be a big help to development costs (particularly for new IP or risky projects).

Like, it'd be nice if I could watch any movie/TV show on Netflix (like back in 2012 when it almost felt like that was the case lol) but Hulu/HBO/Amazon keep getting exclusive content. How anti-consumer!!

Side note: the ongoing streaming wars and balkanization of content in that arena is a big reason that I'm wary of Gamepass taking off if it results in a similar situation of every publisher wanting their own game streaming service.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The traffic it's generated in less than an hour is already above the war table thread.

I get it. It's shitty. I also don't like the next gen version of Yakuza 7 being time exclusive to Series X and I'd rather see Sony throwing money to fund a JRPG, but that's business I guess.
True, I didn't notice that. But its not surprising given people like to complain (myself included in this case, I think its a bullshit move). Just sucks because this almost guarantees that cross play is not happening

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Here's my take: Grab all the Avengers money by whatever means necessary and give to ND, Sony. That's it. I don't care beyond that. xD

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI at TGS would be perfection.

Pretty much the biggest Japanese game/exclusive they can announce.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah FF16 definitely going to be exclusive (timed or otherwise) at this rate.

I CANNOT see GTA 6 being timed, that might break the internet.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Well, think about it like this.

Due to the exclusivity, Spider-Man will not be integral to the main game, and will just come later.

Had Spider-Man been allowed for all, they would have probably had him release at launch and been an actual part of the story.

So, not only are you getting Spider-Man later instead of at launch, but he will be an afterthought character instead of a main character in the story, just because they can't have the story mode be different for all the systems.

Like, if that doesn't bother you, getting a worse game just so others won't get to play the same game, then you might be from Shelbyville lol.

giphy.gif

It's fun for the memes but nothing else. This deal hurts literally everyone, and I'm sad that some PS players can't see that. Open your eyes folks.

I think assuming that Spider-Man would have been part of the main game if not for the exclusivity is going a few steps too far, no?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Lol the meltdown, I understand it honestly
Why does Sony waste money like this, it could have been used smartly

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
After those remarks yesterday about Sony going all out on exclusive deals for early next gen....this Spider-Man news could just be the start,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.