• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy to think that Bluepoint will release another full remake just 34 months after SOTC.

Considering the fact they didn't even add omnidirectional roll, I'm not sure they changed anything at all besides visual stuff.

So if that's the case it's not really that crazy. I was hoping for a bit more, since they said it would be a re-envisioning.

They need to snap BP up ASAP and put them on the Bloodborne IP.

cAIhWVF.gif

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Couldn't break my streak, I've gotten PS1, PS3, PSP, PS4, PS Vita, PSVR and now PS5 day 1. Man PS2 was a pain to get my hands on.

Aww. lol

I got my PS1 in 1997, 2 years after it launched. I got my PS2 8 months after it launched. Got PS3 maybe 6 months after launch. Got Vita day 1, got PSVR last year, I think? Got PS4 day 1. And now got PS5 day 1, unless shipping with Best Buy is an issue. I have a worse track record with older consoles. I didn't get my NES, Genesis, and SNES until years after they launched. lol

I finally pre-ordered Demon's Souls and Sackboy: A Big Adventure from Amazon. I was debating if I wanted to just get them digital, but I was also thinking that I'd have to download them when I get my console, and even though my internet is fast, I don't know how big those games are going to be, so I opted for Physical. I think Miles Morales will be my digital purchase day one, and I'll play some other shit while I wait. I'm curious how the PS4 digital title transfers are going to work.

That is, I have a bunch of PS4 games installed on my external HDD. I wonder if I can just hook up that HDD to my PS5 directly, rebuild the database, and play them off of my HDD, or do I need to reformat the HDD for the PS5, and redownload them all? Most of the games on my HDD I don't care about load times, but a few of them (like Spider-Man and No Man's Sky), I'd like to install on the PS5's SSD, so I may just redownload them directly to it, or see if I can transfer some to the SDD from the HDD if I can just pop it in there. That's probably the only thing I really want to know as far as the PS4 BC goes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox should fare much better in the USA and maybe UK, but outside of that...not so sure. PlayStation as a brand is just a juggernaut.

Probably true, at launch I expect Xbox to sell out but momentum into next year is a big question mark.

Definitely poised to do better than this gen though.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Another (new?) homescreen patent ... wouldn't be surprised if this is more or less what the PS5 UI draws on:

INFORMATION PROCESSING DEVICE, INFORMATION PROCESSING METHOD, AND COMPUTER PROGRAM - SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC

An information processing device 200 for generating a home screen to allow a user to select an application to be executed. The information processing device 200 displays the generated home screen on a

Some concepts there:

A thumbnail bar for games at the bottom
The selected game reveals a panel of content icons
- the first panel has a quick menu, which would feature elements common to across games...party setup, playtime tracking, restart buttons etc.
- the rest of the panels are in-game events, missions, hints, video content from the game etc. etc. These are context aware and custom for each user. So if you just finished mission 9, a mission panel for mission 10 would show up, the hint panel might show hints for that next mission etc.
Scrolling over content panel icons highlights friends that were active in that content - so if one of the icons is for a specific mission and a friend has been playing, it'll highlight their icon, and you can tap through to see more info on that activity
There's talk about a dynamic 'waves' background with particle effects etc. The waves and particle effects can respond to focus/highlight certain things going on, undulate high or low.
When you're not focused on game content panels, friends are up at the top of the screen, along with the usual icons (messages etc). A group of 'close' friends can have their thumbnails highlighted, with the rest of your friends behind the normal friends/message icons.
Friend thumbnails can be augmented with indicators around their activity - e.g. if they're livestreaming, or starting an event, or if they just messaged you or whatever. When something like that happens, the icon can be highlighted momentarily. Popping friend thumbnails above the 'water line' in the waves background when they start some activity or message you is one example.

Anyway, it might make more sense in the images in there. The 'particles' stuff ties in a bit with that tiny glimpse we've seen of the PS5 UI...parts of this also reminds me of that 'disgruntled activision employee' leak from a while back.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Just updated my 3D model of the PS5 lol
imo the PS5 looks alright ;x
*edit* wait the DE only has one button in the front. gah have to fix and reupload :(

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Does anyone remember the Horizon 2 is a ps4 game rumor from 6 months ago? We had rumors of PS4 games becoming PS5 games around that time too I believe.
Found it:

www.videogameschronicle.com

Guerrilla is planning a Horizon Zero Dawn trilogy | VGC

Plans for next-gen sequel indicate ‘gigantic’ scope and co-op mode…
Interesting. VGC really have a good track record on inside stuff.
The Pathless looks awesome. Is that a launch title? I only see it as a 2020 title, but I'll be there day one. I thought it was a beautiful looking game, and from a talented dev.
Still Holiday 2020 title like JETT and Bugsnax. I am surprised no indies reacted since the official date. Maybe a blog post is planned at some point.
We had glimpse of thoses games in the closing Sizzle, that's it.
Another (new?) homescreen patent ... wouldn't be surprised if this is more or less what the PS5 UI draws on:

INFORMATION PROCESSING DEVICE, INFORMATION PROCESSING METHOD, AND COMPUTER PROGRAM - SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC

An information processing device 200 for generating a home screen to allow a user to select an application to be executed. The information processing device 200 displays the generated home screen on a

Some concepts there:

- the first panel has a quick menu, which would feature elements common to across games...party setup, playtime tracking, restart buttons etc.
- the rest of the panels are in-game events, missions, hints, video content from the game etc. etc. These are context aware and custom for each user. So if you just finished mission 9, a mission panel for mission 10 would show up, the hint panel might show hints for that next mission etc.
Scrolling over content panel icons highlights friends that were active in that content - so if one of the icons is for a specific mission and a friend has been playing, it'll highlight their icon, and you can tap through to see more info on that activity
There's talk about a dynamic 'waves' background with particle effects etc. The waves and particle effects can respond to focus/highlight certain things going on, undulate high or low.
When you're not focused on game content panels, friends are up at the top of the screen, along with the usual icons (messages etc). A group of 'close' friends can have their thumbnails highlighted, with the rest of your friends behind the normal friends/message icons.
Friend thumbnails can be augmented with indicators around their activity - e.g. if they're livestreaming, or starting an event, or if they just messaged you or whatever. When something like that happens, the icon can be highlighted momentarily. Popping friend thumbnails above the 'water line' in the waves background when they start some activity or message you is one example.

Anyway, it might make more sense in the images in there. The 'particles' stuff ties in a bit with that tiny glimpse we've seen of the PS5 UI...parts of this also reminds me of that 'disgruntled activision employee' leak from a while back.
So they used Horizon to demonstrate it and the multiplayer aspect.
I like the "event" thumbnail that show you which of your friend are doing it (and the fact you can proably easily jump into the event with them).

Overall, it seems to be both simple, interactive and good looking.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I should start fishing: does anyone have OT title suggestions for Miles Morales?

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
I know some people aren't happy that Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are cross gem but to tell you the truth I smiled when I read the news. I know some people wanted these games to take full advantage of PS5 capabilities but as a refugee who only buys used games for his PS4 and can't afford buying PS5 currently or who knows when, this came as a pleasant surprise since I loved the previous games. And it's not just me but I know some people here in the Middle East who can't afford buying a new console because of the weak economy and I know some who are still waiting to buy a ps4! I might sound selfish for expressing my feelings about this but I just wanted you to know that there are some people who are happy about this for multiple reasons even though I understand the frustration of some of you.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony Japan is underrated. They've developed some of the best games but the developers that they help and get no credit. They worked on TLG, Bloodborne, SotC, Demon Souls.

Kaleide

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK

Some concepts there:

pagesfromwo2020184375v5ju0.jpg

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn straight. I've been gaming for basically the same amount of time (except I started with a humble ZX Spectrum, which I still have, boxed and maybe still working! Aside from some bad messaging from PR and the cost rising in games (which should finally kill my habit of buying too many games, because I can't really impulse buy something that expensive), I'm overjoyed at this past generation and the upcoming one. PS4 has basically been the most fun I've had with a console in years and Sony's output certainly is a big part in that. And seeing how they are seemingly really prepared for next gen with a killer looking year one, I'm beyond hyped. The cross gen stuff was a momentary disappointment but something that I stopped caring about real quick, because having loved Spidey and Horizon, any doubt I could have about how they are pushing the new hardware will be washed away by the fact that I get what will almost certainly be amazing sequels to two of my favourite current gen games.

Oh man, that's awesome! I still have the NES I got in 1988, and my Sega Genesis and my SNES, and they all still work, crazily enough!

You actually brought up a good point that I hadn't considered: The higher prices of games may actually help to curb my own impulse buying. The reason why my backlog of PS4 games is in the hundreds is because I'd just snag them willy nilly on sale, and "get to them later," then that "later" turns into a few months, then a year, then next thing you know, new consoles are out and I'm mashing the "Place Your Order" button on Best Buy for 5 hours trying to get one (and eventually succeeding). XD

I seriously don't need anymore video games. I have enough games to last me years, but I'm a sucker for the latest games, or compelling concepts and presentations (like The Pathless, for example). $70 stings, but I remember Chrono Trigger being $69.99 in Milwaukee when it came out in 1995. Weirdly enough, my high school friends didn't complain too much about it, because the game looked amazing, and we were stupid hyped for it. No surprise that it's one of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite game of all time along with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

The cross-gen stuff was almost, almost disappointing to me, and then I thought about it some more, and it made a lot of sense. In the case of Horizon, it was a big budget open world game that took Guerrilla, what, 4 years to make, and it released on a platform with an install base of over 50-60 million at the time? Horizon 2 started development as a PS4 title, then shifted to PS5 development once dev kits were available, and because they had already been working on the sequel immediately after the first, it was a lot further along than, say, a PS5 game starting development this year. That means that, outside of an artificial delay, it would be releasing on the PS5 very early on in its lifecycle, and there is a big chance the install base of the PS5 would be around 10-15 million if that. Then you take into account that not everyone that owns a PS5 is going to be interested in Horizon 2, no matter how breathtaking it looks, or how high it scores. If all gamers bought every game just because they looked pretty or had high reviews, we wouldn't be celebrating when a title reaches 3 million sold, like Ghost of Tsushima. Not all gamers like all games.

The point is, it's a bit of a gamble to release Horizon 2 solely on the PS5, when it probably has a very large budget, and if only 1 million gamers out of your 10 million instal base. So they maximize their chances of success by continuing on with the already started PS4 version of the game, while scaling it up to the PS5. It's a win/win for Guerrilla and Sony. They've almost guaranteed that Horizon 2 will be a commercial success (doubly so if the game is also a critical success like its predecessor). Millions of PS4 gamers unlucky enough to snag a PS5 will buy it on PS4. While the lucky few gamers that were able to get a PS5 will get it on that platform. Who's to say how many of the millions of PS5 owners in this first year are interested in Horizon as an IP at all.

There have been people in this very PlayStation Studios OT that played the original, and just thought it was "ok." I doubt the sequel drummed up much excitement for them. Horizon Zero Dawn came out in 2017. Frozen Wilds came out in November of that same year. I actually expected Horizon 2 to release on PS4 in 2019, or maybe mid to late 2020, given a 2-3 year dev cycle. Once we finally knew the PS5 was releasing in 2020, I imagined it would have shifted to PS5, but I didn't think of the idea that it would be cross-gen, though that makes a lot of sense given how far along I imagine development would be in the 3 years since the original and the DLC. When I looked at it that way, the notion of it being cross-gen didn't disappoint me at all. Ditto for Miles Morales and Sackboy. In fact, I remember so many people expressing sentiment in the June PS5 Event thread that Sackboy "Looks like it could be on PS4," so why is that suddenly a big deal that it is, in fact, also a PS4 game?

This gives developers a chance to leverage the massive install base of the PS4, while also remaining financially stable enough to shift gears to full PS5 exclusive titles in the coming years. My takeaway is that this is smart, not shitty.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Japan is underrated. They've developed some of the best games but the developers that they help and get no credit. They worked on TLG, Bloodborne, SotC, Demon Souls.
Yup. Very good to have them working with Bluepoint on DS. Can't wait to see what they have internally cooking to go along with Astro Bot.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I am hearing from my friend at Media Markt (manager) that the interest between PS5 and Xbox S/X more or less like between new iPhone launch and no name brand smartphone.

This gen will be a repeat or even worse.

Somy took notes from the Apple model for a reason, it works and it works brilliantly IF the execution is right. For the past 4-5 years the execution has been spot on and it still is.

Messaging issues sucks sure, but it's a storm in a teacup and outside of era means little if anything. People got a price, a date, the day one games and that's all that matters in the end. Mass market unfortunately are already groomed to pay more and more for games that to the MTX and dlc price gouging this gen. A price hike for software isn't good but it's expected, it hasn't come out of nowhere.

Apple is known to piss off millions, if not tens of millions of people and consumers and yet it goes from strength to strength despite the competition. Sony slightly pissed of some dyed in the wool cynical gamers.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people aren't happy that Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are cross gem but to tell you the truth I smiled when I read the news. I know some people wanted these games to take full advantage of PS5 capabilities but as a refugee who only buys used games for his PS4 and can't afford buying PS5 currently or who knows when, this came as a pleasant surprise since I loved the previous games. And it's not just me but I know some people here in the Middle East who can't afford buying a new console because of the weak economy and I know some who are still waiting to buy a ps4! I might sound selfish for expressing my feelings about this but I just wanted you to know that there are some people who are happy about this for multiple reasons even though I understand the frustration of some of you.

You're not selfish, it's a good thing. People who are outraged because Sony didn't give them a heads up that a couple of PS5 games are also coming to PS4, as if it affects their livelihoods in any meaningful way, need to get a reality check. We already saw with Miles Morales that the PS5 versions will still look incredible and so in the end, everyone wins. No one was lied to or deceived.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well, seeing as how I'm in the middle of playing Spider-man, I don't know if I should continue or just wait for the PS5.

I've got plenty of other games to play but I hate dropping it in the middle of a play through.
I'm a quirky kind of player. I just naturally stop playing games and play something else or buy a new game.

By the time I notice, I have a huge backlog of half played games, lol. Sometimes the load times were in issue. Death Stranding...lol. Once it's fully loaded it's fine, most games are like that. Still.

I have that, Spider-Man, TLoU 2, just got GoT but haven't played it yet...not to mention the hundreds of older games I'm still near the beginning in.

So now....I'll try to go thru my PS4 backlog. But once I get Demons Souls and Miles....lol

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I see some peoples asking about that so 01net has asked PlayStation France about the PS Plus collection on the PS5 and they said it will not be limited on time. You can take it anytime when you buy a subscription to the PS Plus.

Non, les jeux gratuits du futur PlayStation Plus ne seront pas offerts qu'aux premiers abonnés

Depuis son annonce, le PlayStation Plus Collection est victime d'une rumeur persistante. Les 18 jeux gratuits ne seraient offerts qu'aux premiers souscripteurs ayant acheté la PS5 ! C'est évidemment faux.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8 weeks until PS5 launches, I wonder when they will start doing State of Plays for the launch title exclusives. We have:
  1. Demon Souls
  2. Spider-Man Miles Morales
  3. Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  4. Destruction AllStars
  5. Godfall
Then we need to see the U.I, how external SATA SSDs will work running PS4 games and a tear down.

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You not selfish. We were the ones being entitled and selfish, and I included myself in it.
I'm glad you get to enjoy those games.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Do we have any information about the differences between the Cyberpunk PS4/PS5 versions at launch? Would be my go to launch game.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Cory Barlog, who is usually suuuper active on twitter hasn't made a tweet, retweeted or liked another tweet since before the event on Wednesday. I wonder if he is waiting for something (an official annoucement) or just wants to avoid people spamming his replies with question he cannot answer right now?
Maybe he is still not allowed to tell if he is directing the squel or not?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

So true. I've been a fan of Japan Studios for a while. I mean, the list of games that they've had a hand in shaping, dating back to 1994 is fucking crazy.

Arc The Lad, Alundra, PaRapa the Rapper, Ape Escape, WildArms, Okage (am I the only one that really likes that game?), Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (reminds me I still need to beat 2), Ico, Siren, Hot Shots Golf, Shadow of the Colossus, Rogue Legacy, Loco Roco, Jean d'Arc (fuck I'd love an HD Remaster of this one), Folklore (why doesn't this game get more love??), Patapon, Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle, Soul Sacrifice, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Astrobots Rescue Mission (damn did that game surprise me; i was not expecting it to be so damn fun), Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Demon's Souls Remake... and that's only a fraction of the games they've had a hand in.

If anything, they've contributed in various ways to some fantastic games, as well as have made some fantastic games of their own, and I've always been a fan of the quirky, out of the box titles they've made over the years. To consistently see them dismissed as "just tech support," is, I think, insulting to the men and women that work there and help shape a lot of the games on PlayStation that we love.

I'd love it if Sony would give them the budget to make more games like Loco Roco and Patapon and Echochrome. I always felt like their own titles were unique and clever, even if I wasn't in love with every single one of them. I love Nintendo, and I know they get a lot of praise for "innovating" in the game space, but I also think Japan Studios deserves more love for creating some truly unique (and sometimes very strange) fun, clever, gaming experiences. They don't have to redefine gaming as we know it, but they certainly have contributed to exploring a wide range of concepts through gaming that I really appreciate.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Cory Barlog, who is usually suuuper active on twitter hasn't made a tweet, retweeted or liked another tweet since before the event on Wednesday. I wonder if he is waiting for something (an official annoucement) or just wants to avoid people spamming his replies with question he cannot answer right now?
Maybe he is still not allowed to tell if he is directing the squel or not?
His father's in the hospital with COVID. So I guess he has other things on his mind.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And you are right. Both of those games doesn't "required" the new hardware to be goods. I am pretty sure they will find a way to make flying possible on PS4. Maybe you won't be able to do it very high and the speed will be slow, maybe even with poor LOD, but that's not that important.
They already managed to make a complex meteo system so they improved the engine a lot.

But God Of War? I am sorry but I really want it to be NG only. It is not an open world so a lot of things wasn't streaming but full loading and I found it really painful to play on PS4. And I talk about hidden loading screens and realms loading.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am hearing from my friend at Media Markt (manager) that the interest between PS5 and Xbox S/X more or less like between new iPhone launch and no name brand smartphone.

No big exclusive launch games is bad, and xss is a non starter for core gamers. I expect ps5 to sell more worldwide for launch window

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

which country?
it will be absolutely the case again here in Germany.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Oh yeah you're right I forgot. But he has been tweeting a lot about it too and the usual political stuff. I really nothing happened to his dad, he seemed to be going a little bit better.
I don't know either. I just know Cory will show up to troll another day! As surely as the sun is going to rise tomorrow (because he's so good at it)

Status
Not open for further replies.