• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the messaging is confusing.
I was talking about the product webpage.
I also have some other sources about that, one was this picture form the Road to PS5 showcase
screenshot_39.png

and another indication is the announcement of it during the presentation

Mark Cerny:
"Meaning that even as the technology evolves the logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes."
ok got it.
My point of confusion was this.
LTqPeB4.png

T4X2K8q.png

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I don't really follow Sony's broader operations outside of PlayStation, can you elaborate on those billions they invested in the music, film, etc. divisions please?
Like what were they pumping that money into for those divisions?
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
Some examples for Sony Music:
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "Milan Records" and "Jade" in 2019
- Acquires majority stake in "Senbla" in 2019
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
- Acquires "Araca Group's" Music Merchandise Division in 2019
- Acquires Kontraband in 2019
- Acquires "Ministry of Sound" in 2016 for $100 million
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other companies not included.

Some examples for Sony Pictures:
- Acquires "Funimation" in 2017 for $150 million
- Acquires "Manga Entertainment" in 2019
- Acquires "Eleven" in 2020
- Acquires "Silvergate Media" in 2019 for $195 million
- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
- Acquires "Ten Sports" in 2016 for $385 million
- Acquires "Madman's" Anime Division in 2019 for ~$25 million
- Acquires in "Nurulize" 2019
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Insominac Games in 2019 for $229 million
- Audiokinetic in 2019

Closed 1st party studios by Sony in the last 8 years:
- Manchester Studio (2020)
- Cambridge Studio (2017)
- Evolution Studios (2016)
- Sony Online Entertainment (Sold - 2015)
- Zipper Interactive (2012)
- Studio Liverpool (2012)
- Bigbig Studios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
My opinion? Go big and get Square-Enix.

Last edited:

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
There is a part of me that wants to see it just for the reactions when people realize that Atlus will no longer make games for PS or Nintendo and will be Xbox and PC exclusive.
I'm still not convinced MS will prevent Bethesda or Sega (if it happens) from releasing their games elsewhere.

They both have their own publishing arm, and Bethesda has said as much.

You don't drop 7.5B (and more, if they continue) on acquisitions of this scale only to keep them off one of the biggest global gaming platforms (PS).

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
ok so BC should not have any problem. you can play your digital ps4 games on Ps5 without any extra fee? is it confirmed or are we assuming a most likely scenario.
Yes they confirmed 99% of games will work.

The possible fee isn't related to backward compatibility, it is for true PS5 upgraded versions (that would be treated as real PS5 games) which would be up to each publisher game by game to decide if they want to give it for free to PS4 version owners or to charge something or to release it as a separate game like a remaster or special edition.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
When are we going to find out what that new shiny share button does? What a strange start to the new gen.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
ok got it.
My point of confusion was this.
LTqPeB4.png

T4X2K8q.png

Yep, messaging is really bad from sony.
That is about those cross gen upgrades you will get from EA and the like.
Atleast that is my understanding.

It is still questionable how many PS4 games will run better on PS5, or might even get a payable "remaster", but your PS4 games will run.
In my opinion the only sure big difference to PS4 will be the loadtimes on the internal SSD.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Was able to get one from Best Buy due to the good Canadians of the Canadian Deal thread.
Same. I was able to get one from Amazon on the first night

So 120 fps gaming on consoles is pretty much an urban legend after launch window, is there any reason to get a 4k 120hz TV for gaming?
Demon's Souls already sent that message, 60fps tops

Sony is already signalling that it is not necessary for next gen.
www.google.ca

HDMI 2.1 isn’t necessary for PS5, says Sony product manager

Sony's new projectors don't have HDMI 2.1, but is that really a problem?

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they confirmed 99% of games will work.

The possible fee isn't related to backward compatibility, it is for true PS5 upgraded versions (that would be treated as real PS5 games) which would be up to each publisher game by game to decide if they want to give it for free to PS4 version owners or to charge something or to release it as a separate game like a remaster or special edition.
got it. I was thrown off by the "convert Ps4 digital to digital Ps5 games".

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I do need to find me a good USB 3.2 external HDD to use for my PS4 games and to backup my inactive PS5 games while I'm not playing them.

Any suggestions? What are others around here planning on using with their PS5?

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Yap, bethesda complety shit the bad this gen.

Even their good games didnt sell very well, it is very unfortunately.
I'm still not convinced MS will prevent Bethesda or Sega (if it happens) from releasing their games elsewhere.

They both have their own publishing arm, and Bethesda has said as much.

You don't drop 7.5B (and more, if they continue) on acquisitions of this scale only to keep them off one of the biggest global gaming platforms (PS).
You drop them to become the biggest global gaming platform. I'm sure Bethesda games will be Xbox and PC exclusive.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do need to find me a good USB 3.2 external HDD to use for my PS4 games and to backup my inactive PS5 games while I'm not playing them.

I'll be moving my 4TB Seagate from PS4 to PS5. I just don't expect it to be plug and play with my installed games, but I don't mind downloading everything again.

People often say Seagate is not a reliable brand, but I personally never had issues with this external HDD.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
There was a nice article about what Sony as a whole has acquired in the last 5 years. Can't find it anymore :/
- Acquires "EMI Music Publishing" in 2018 for $2.3 billion to become the largest music publisher in the world
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other copanies not included.

- Acquires AT&T's stake in "Game Show Network" in 2019 for $500 million (now owns 100% of the company)
And this goes on and on, too . Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with cable/streaming companies, etc.

Then there are other examples like "Sony acquiring full control of the Financial Unit for $3.7 billion in 2020". And many more acquititions and additions for Sony Electronics, SCA, the Semiconductor Solutions Group, etc.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's acquisitions in the last ~8 years (more than the complete PS4 generation):
- Audiokinetic in 2019

- BigbigStudios (2012)

That's it. 8 years and barely any acquisitions for Sony's biggest cash cow SIE/PlayStation. More closures than acquisitions. At least they finally brought Insomniac home. Regarding bigger acquisitions, don't forget how Sony was interested in buying Fox, or how Sony was once interested in buying MGM for $5 billion, etc.
So say what you want, but it's time for Sony to invest big in SIE. Especially now after Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Google are lurking and while Microsoft has almost ten 1st party studios more and Nintendo is stronger than ever with the Switch (especially in Japan). Sony needs to invest and get more studios. And they should strengthen SIE in Japan, too.
As I said Sony is sleeping,the other OT closed and I couldn't reply you there,but I agree,Square-Enix is perfect to Sony,but Capcom for me has the best IPs,imagine a fighting game Capcom vs Sony IPs lol

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do we have any indication of how early media will get access to the console? For example, Assassins Creed Valhalla comes out a few days before the PS5, so I'm wondering if reviews for the PS5 version will come out later than the Xbox/PC reviews.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018
And this goes on and on. Acquisitions, joint-ventures, minority stake acquisitions, etc. Deals with labels, music stars and other copanies not included.

- Audiokinetic in 2019

- BigbigStudios (2012)

Agreed. If Sony knew about Bethesda being purchased then they know what they need to do. If they didn't know before hand about Bethesda, then they better wake up.

I don't like it anymore than the next person but the gloves are off Sony and you got punched in the gut, what are you gonna do?

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland

Do we have confirmation that you can 'move' inactive games from the PS5 SSD to your PS4 external drive when you're not using them to save space? I haven't seen that anywhere but I hope it works that way!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, lots of business overlap and they already clearly understand the importance and value to PS of getting in on pretty much every big game they make, so just finally get in there and buy them already. They already invested in them once before when Square needed the help before the Enix merger and eventually selling it back.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
New age ratings for PS5 games from the german USK.
All those games are tested while played on the system, not per description and video.
The PS5 list was opened by Godfall, now there are also...
Warhammer: Chaosbane
WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship

Publishers can always decide to keep the classification a secret until release.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have confirmation that you can 'move' inactive games from the PS5 SSD to your PS4 external drive when you're not using them to save space? I haven't seen that anywhere but I hope it works that way!

You can use the external drive as cold storage for PS5 games and boot and use PS4 games directly off an external.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So 120 fps gaming on consoles is pretty much an urban legend after launch window, is there any reason to get a 4k 120hz TV for gaming?
Demon's Souls already sent that message, 60fps tops
I was about to upgrade my tv next year for 120. But I think you might be right. I may just rock my tv til I can't anymore. It's about 5 years old and still going strong. As a 4k hdr screen.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I don't want to spread FUD or anything, but this persistent rumor that a big partnership may be announced tomorrow between Sega and Xbox would be a severe blow to Sony's avantage when it comes to Japanese content. Sega has provided amazing games to the PS community such as the Yakuza games (and Judgement) an of course Atlus games.
Remember in that recent interview Jim Ryan said that Sony has a good relationship with JP publishers and he cited Koei Tecmo, Square-Enix and Capcom. Who was absent ? Bandcai Namco and Sega, who are now notorious for thei close relation with Xbox (marketing deals for Elden Ring and Tales of Arise, marketing deal for Yakuza 7...)
It looks like Japan will be the next battleground for the two console manufacturers and the first skirmish may turn into a win for Xbox.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Xbox has little to no presence in much of Europe, Asia, and many emerging markets.

They will not be cutting out the PS ecosystem, at least not in the near future.
They bought Bethesda to have a greater presence in Europe and other markets. People expecting Starfield or Wolfenstein 3 on PS5 are in for a pretty bad surprise.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I don't want to spread FUD or anything, but this persistent rumor that a big partnership may be announced tomorrow between Sega and Xbox would be a severe blow to Sony's avantage when it comes to Japanese content. Sega has provided amazing games to the PS community such as the Yakuza games (and Judgement) an of course Atlus games.
Remember in that recent interview Jim Ryan said that Sony has a good relationship with JP publishers and he cited Koei Tecmo, Square-Enix and Capcom. Who was absent ? Bandcai Namco and Sega, who are now notorious for thei close relation with Xbox (marketing deals for Elden Ring and Tales of Arise, marketing deal for Yakuza 7...)
It looks like Japan will be the next battleground for the two console manufacturers and the first skirmish may turn into a win for Xbox.
It would certainly be a sight to behold.

The thought of established PS franchises like Yakuza and Persona being kept away, even if it will be for limited periods of time, is legit infuriating.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I was able to get one from Amazon on the first night

Sony is already signalling that it is not necessary for next gen.
www.google.ca

HDMI 2.1 isn’t necessary for PS5, says Sony product manager

Sony's new projectors don't have HDMI 2.1, but is that really a problem?
They can say that all they want but im not going to drop 2k+ on an oled that barely meets todays standards l, even falls short with no vrr i could care less about auto low latency. If i spend 2k i want it future proof to some extent. Sony really dropped the ball here imo. Who know what/if PS5 pro will be capable of down the road.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I have a 4TB Seagate on my PS4pro, surely will also work on PS5.
Will not be the fastest option.
I'll be moving my 4TB Seagate from PS4 to PS5. I just don't expect it to be plug and play with my installed games, but I don't mind downloading everything again.

People often say Seagate is not a reliable brand, but I personally never had issues with this external HDD.

Thanks for the suggestion. Based on the Amazon specs, it looks like it has 120MBps read speed. That seems to be faster than the HDD that comes in the PS4, 88.7 MBps (Pro), 75.2 MBps (Base PS4).

Do you run any of your PS4 games directly from the external Segate 4TB drive? How does it compare? I'm wondering if I'm going to notice a big performance delay with running PS4 games (in terms of loading) when I move over to the PS5.

I was thinking of giving my Pro to my daughter after the PS5 gets here. Though she's in college and probably doesn't have a lot of free time to play it.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
- Acquires "RGL" in 2018

- Audiokinetic in 2019

- BigbigStudios (2012)

I didn't even remember that Sony spend $3.7 billion to take full control of its banking and insurance unit this year. So yes it seems when they want to go big they can but i wonder who will more easy to get Capcom or Square if Sony was interested ?

Yup, lots of business overlap and they already clearly understand the importance and value to PS of getting in on pretty much every big game they make, so just finally get in there and buy them already. They already invested in them once before when Square needed the help before the Enix merger and eventually selling it back.
Or break the bank and make an offer for Square and Capcom because one day someone his also gonna go for them but i still having a hard time thinking Sony will do that.

Oct 27, 2017
They can say that all they want but im not going to drop 2k+ on an oled that barely meets todays standards l, even falls short with no vrr i could care less about auto low latency. If i spend 2k i want it future proof to some extent. Sony really dropped the ball here imo. Who know what/if PS5 pro will be capable of down the road.
The article is about projectors, not OLED TVs.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I expect 120fps to be about as rare as 60fps was on PS4/XB1. If you play a lot of shooters and racing games, it's probably something you'll want to invest in, other than that I'm sure you're fine with a 60hz screen.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry my bad - edited my post. I think it'll have a 120fps mode based on what Yamauchi had said earlier in the year - but definitely not confirmed.

120fps modes in games will be rare but we already know of a few
Yeah we have Dirt and DMC so far that have 120 fps modes. Its crazy how different this launch period from last gen.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I think Sony has invested pretty poorly in gaming considering the amount of money the division has made them. They do not seem to realize that content is king in a console less future.

They will be around this gen but unless they significantly increase their IP output I forsee Playstation as a brand eventually being bought in the next 15-20 years. I dont see this brand surviving in a console less future tbh if they are going to be this conservative when it comes to investments.

Their first party is good but they will never ever have the cache that Nintendo first party enjoys to coast only on a few exclusive content and with their competition offering juggernauts like Elder Scrolls for pittance.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you run any of your PS4 games directly from the external Segate 4TB drive? How does it compare? I'm wondering if I'm going to notice a big performance delay with running PS4 games (in terms of loading) when I move over to the PS5.
There's no noticeable difference running games straight from the external HDD on PS4.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion. Based on the Amazon specs, it looks like it has 120MBps read speed. That seems to be faster than the HDD that comes in the PS4, 88.7 MBps (Pro), 75.2 MBps (Base PS4).

I was thinking of giving my Pro to my daughter after the PS5 gets here. Though she's in college and probably doesn't have a lot of free time to play it.

I can't really tell you about the differences, i use that drive since 2017 as external and run games from it.
The 4TB are completely used.
No problems with it.
Internal i have the 2TB drive from 2014 (was my PS4standard external), also no problems.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I think Sony has invested pretty poorly in gaming considering the amount of money the division has made them. They do not seem to realize that content is king in a console less future.

They will be around this gen but unless they significantly increase their IP output I forsee Playstation as a brand eventually being bought in the next 15-20 years. I dont see this brand surviving in a console less future tbh if they are going to be this conservative when it comes to investments.

Their first party is good but they will never ever have the cache that Nintendo first party enjoys to coast only on a few exclusive content.

Ah, what?

Insomniac is almost single handedly carrying the PS5 launch in terms of first party production. I believe they make sensible investments in studios that have proven themselves; Insomniac, MM, etc.

In terms of content, Sony is the ... wait did I just take someone's bait?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't like visual novels, so I haven't looked into it too much, but the game seems to be about Kaiju being fought by a bunch of high schoolers in mech suits kind of like Evangelion. Is there romance in there? Maybe, but high schoolers are not exactly known for chastity so that wouldn't really bother me personally. And I sincerely doubt there's any sort of explicit sexuality given that it's a PlayStation exclusive.

So far, what I've seen of the game hasn't been sexualizing the high schoolers. I mean, one of them has a crush on some mysterious good looking guy, but there hasn't been any sexualization of them. The only character I've seen so far has been the school nurse, who has big boobs (no cleavage or anything, just obvious big boobs under her suit). The story has been really intriguing so far, and played very seriously compared to the usual JRPG waifu bait I've seen in the past. This isn't Senran Kagura by a long shot. Maybe later in the game it goes full hentai, I have no idea. It's a lot more serious in tone than what I was expecting from an RPG set in high school. I'm pleasantly surprised.

The only ad I've seen of the game has been the launch trailer, and I didn't see anything gross or creepy from my recollection. Nothing like Dragon's Crown's obviously over the top fan service and character designs.

Jan 20, 2019

Their first party is good but they will never ever have the cache that Nintendo first party enjoys to coast only on a few exclusive content and with their competition offering juggernauts like Elder Scrolls for pittance.

Consider the ammount of games they are about to release in the first year, that is absoluty wrong, but they could do better that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.