• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Bethesda may not have been doing too hot financially but they still had their mega selling IPs(Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom). Obsidian and the Wasteland devs were probably to further corner the market on WRPGS. IO is borrowing the ip of their most well known games from someone else and their games don't do too hot financially. And Sony isn't exactly willing to excuse underperforming games back to back quality/talent be damned.

Obsidian,Inexile,Ninja Theory, Double Fine were doing pretty poorly financially and had back to back underperforming games too. Maybe small profits at best. Hell that was one of the reasons they sold to MS. For financial security.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda may not have been doing too hot financially but they still had their mega selling IPs(Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom). Obsidian and the Wasteland devs were probably to further corner the market on WRPGS. IO is borrowing the ip of their most well known games from someone else and their games don't do too hot financially. And Sony isn't exactly willing to excuse underperforming games back to back quality/talent be damned.
Probably depend on how expensive their games are, not every game needs to be a big success to justify itself for a platform holder. But I doubt IO are all that interested in being under a publisher again unless absolutely necessary and they seem healthy enough at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Fan art 🔥
hasnain-saem-scene-1-paintover.jpg

hasnain-saem-ideas.jpg

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Acquisitions are based on potential too. A lot of MS acquisitions are of companies doing pretty badly financially. You can't always buy super successful companies.

IMO IO interactive are super talented. Hitman is fantastic and I am looking forward to James Bond from them!
IO has been very smart in securing the James Bond license. They know that there might be several companies interested in buying them, and only with this movement, they have already greatly increased their value.
I think they will be Microsoft's next purchase, now that they have jumped on the licensed games bandwagon.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian,Inexile,Ninja Theory, Double Fine were doing pretty poorly financially and had back to back underperforming games too. Maybe small profits at best. Hell that was one of the reasons they sold to MS. For financial security.
Before they were acquired, Obsidian released The Outer Worlds which didn't underperform, Ninja Theory Hellblade which sold well especially since it had such a small team working on it, Double Fine was preparing to release their long awaited cult classic which smashed through its Kickstarter goals. InXile was probably to get more rpg devs that they sorely lack. I imagine MS is more tolerant of underperforming games than Sony. They've got more cash to burn.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Demon's Souls was the best selling PS5 game in PSN Japan last year.
Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima and Dead by Daylight were the best selling PS4 games.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So my State of Play prediction was way off.

There's always next week!

Yeah lol

I'm curious about what Navtra said regarding FFVIIR PS5 being announced soon after FFXIV expansion, wonder if that's going to be a SE only thing or if Sony is going to be involved (like a SOP).

Personally I'm not expecting anything big from Sony anytime soon, especially considering we are at the covid peak atm and things are going to be quite rough in the next weeks. I think we are going to be waiting a while until we get something on the scale of the two showcases we had last year.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah lol

I'm curious about what Navtra said regarding FFVIIR PS5 being announced soon after FFXIV expansion, wonder if that's going to be a SE only thing or if Sony is going to be involved (like a SOP).

Personally I'm not expecting anything big from Sony anytime soon, especially considering we are at the covid peak atm and things are going to be quite rough in the next weeks. I think we are going to be waiting a while until we get something on the scale of the two showcases we had last year.
I reckon it'll be at a state of play. Announcing a PS5 version that comes with Ever Crisis DLC ;)

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
This PS Plus collection is a blessing and a curse. It's so easy, as someone who missed out on most of the PS4 library, to be pretty overwhelmed with the huge (in scope and length) exclusives alongside all of the next-gen releases coming out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This PS Plus collection is a blessing and a curse. It's so easy, as someone who missed out on most of the PS4 library, to be pretty overwhelmed with the huge (in scope and length) exclusives alongside all of the next-gen releases coming out.
You are in no rush, just "buy" all them and they'll be a PS+ sub away. 2021 will probably have a big drought or 2 with the inevitable delays for probably everything, so use them to fill the gaps that causes.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Man just did the Mermaid Quest-Line in DQ11, didn't expect the game to go this Route, hit me right in the feels.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I could see that being just a trailer tbh.

Although if Sony has a SoP allocated for around that time, I can see it being there (the earliest Remake's next-gen version can come out is the 10th of April, so between February and then, there's time).

XVI will probably be its own thing too. I'm expecting a big info blowout, probably between April-June.

Nov 21, 2017
I know its not PlayStation related but I been dreaming of a Pokemon Snap sequel for years as I played the N64 version so much as a kid. Now it's finally arriving and on my birthday. It is destiny.

Don't give up on your dream games everyone. We will one day get a Legend of Dragoon Remake, Wild will finally launch, and Warhawk will be remastered.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I know its not PlayStation related but I been dreaming of a Pokemon Snap sequel for years as I played the N64 version so much as a kid. Now it's finally arriving and on my birthday. It is destiny.

Don't give up on your dream games everyone. We will one day get a Legend of Dragoon Remake, Wild will finally launch, and Warhawk will be remastered.

Happy for you ;)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I hope a smaller team is trying to pull off a side story in TLOU2 engine. Just like they did with Lost Legacy. Would be so cool
I do think there's some interesting stuff they could do if they went that route, I'd love something like a collection of small stories from different places in that world, the notes and other environmental story telling are some of my favorite stuff in TLoU 1 and 2 (and Uncharted 4). But probably require a lot more time to really do well and they probably would just do a part 3 or new I.P instead.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Thanks man. The only downside is I didn't recognize over half of the Pokemon shown in the trailer because I stopped after Gen 2. Still if the mechanics are similar to the original I think I will enjoy it.
I am actually also quite excited for the Game despite never having played Pokemon. I love photography so i wanna give it a shot.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I do think there's some interesting stuff they could do if they went that route, I'd love something like a collection of small stories from different places in that world, the notes and other environmental story telling are some of my favorite stuff in TLoU 1 and 2 (and Uncharted 4). But probably require a lot more time to really do well and they probably would just do a part 3 or new I.P instead.
They really don't have to change the gameplay loop; just introducing new characters, new locations etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They really don't have to change the gameplay loop; just introducing new characters, new locations etc.

It's really not that simple, though. Concepting, writing, designing, and building all of that content, even if you have a pre-existing gameplay "engine" to staple it into takes time, resources and money that it sounds like Neil doesn't want to commit Naughty Dog to small projects anymore. Like the best you could hope for would be a smaller team outside of ND taking the "Naughty Dog" framework and building content within it, like the way Obsidian built New Vegas out of the skeleton of Bethesda's FO3.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
they will make what they want to make no matter what the fans ask of them
Partly true. If they make a type of game and then a big fandom grows from it, said future games will likely feed that fanbase rather then doing Something else.

Choice does exist but some of that choice is influenced by outside factors like market, fanbase, scores, etc...

Of course Insomniac has yet to do said game though.

Though depressed Insomniac would be something else I guess. 😂
no, but see, in the apocalypse, man is the real monster and Clank
🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.