• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Uncharted 4 for the fifth anniversary and I just need to take the time to point out that Elena is THE best supporting character in any game.

That is all.
Elena and Drake might be my favourite gaming couple of any game. I was so happy that the epilogue wasn't a grimdark abyss.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Green might indicate that you have a GPU problem.

Seems to have been pretty common for a lot of people on Reddit about 3 months ago with reports that it's been getting better with each update. I checked the big thread on Reddit a while ago and some people are still having issues (myself included). It's so annoying 😭

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What happened to that PSVR2 thread?? I checked the site.. and the article is still up. UploadVR is OG, and are pretty reliable no?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think a lot of perspective needs to be considered when it comes to measuring the success of a game like Returnal commercially.

Housemarque isn't the size of a Naughty Dog, or an Insomniac. They're a small studio (80 people isn't a lot, hell, our studio is hundreds people large across the company, and growing), so the overhead of running the studio is lower, not to mention that I'm sure the budget for Returnal wasn't even in the same ballpark as something like The Last of Us Part 2, or Ghost of Tsushima.

Housemarque is also an extremely talented and efficient studio, so once development on Returnal began in earnest once Sony started backing it, and lending their XDev support, it improved the production process for the game as well as I think.

At its core, Returnal is a very cleanly designed game. There's not a lot of fat, and overreaching of features that can cause ambitious projects to balloon out of control. Yes, it's the most ambitious game Housemarque has attempted thus far, but that doesn't mean it had an $80 million dollar budget.

The point is, I don't think Returnal needs to sell 3 million units to be a success for Housemarque or Sony.

And it doesn't seem like Sony was worried by preorder numbers, since they didn't panic and reduce the price, or try to offer it up on PS+.

I have a feeling that the game exceeded their predictions of sell through. These publishers are full of people that are good at what they do when it comes to analytics, and setting ROI expectations reasonably.

Obviously, this is all speculation on my part, since we don't know the budget of Returnal, or how many units it sold across retail and digital, but just basing it off of the size of the studio, the length of full development on the game, and the surge in interest thanks to the positive gameplay blowout the week before launch, the glowing reviews, and many YouTube and twitch influencers, I think the game will be fine, and will probably have legs, since it hasn't even been out a month yet!

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I think a lot of perspective needs to be considered when it comes to measuring the success of a game like Returnal commercially.

Housemarque isn't the size of a Naughty Dog, or an Insomniac. They're a small studio (80 people isn't a lot, hell, our studio is hundreds people large across the company, and growing), so the overhead of running the studio is lower, not to mention that I'm sure the budget for Returnal wasn't even in the same ballpark as something like The Last of Us Part 2, or Ghost of Tsushima.

Housemarque is also an extremely talented and efficient studio, so once development on Returnal began in earnest once Sony started backing it, and lending their XDev support, it improved the production process for the game as well as I think.

At its core, Returnal is a very cleanly designed game. There's not a lot of fat, and overreaching of features that can cause ambitious projects to balloon out of control. Yes, it's the most ambitious game Housemarque has attempted thus far, but that doesn't mean it had an $80 million dollar budget.

The point is, I don't think Returnal needs to sell 3 million units to be a success for Housemarque or Sony.

And it doesn't seem like Sony was worried by preorder numbers, since they didn't panic and reduce the price, or try to offer it up on PS+.

I have a feeling that the game exceeded their predictions of sell through. These publishers are full of people that are good at what they do when it comes to analytics, and setting ROI expectations reasonably.

Obviously, this is all speculation on my part, since we don't know the budget of Returnal, or how many units it sold across retail and digital, but just basing it off of the size of the studio, the length of full development on the game, and the surge in interest thanks to the positive gameplay blowout the week before launch, the glowing reviews, and many YouTube and twitch influencers, I think the game will be fine, and will probably have legs, since it hasn't even been out a month yet!

Agreed. In addition, not every game needs to sell multi-millions for it to be a worthwhile investment for a platform. It reviewed well, is adored by many players (notwithstanding the technical issues), is another PS5-only exclusive, and is a very different type of gaming experience that we haven't seen before - the last two points lend themselves to the messaging of pushing next-gen only and experimental Sony (in relation to the recent articles). Even if it only breaks even, I'd say it's a success, at least in the platform narrative and 'hype' generating sense for PS5. Yes, Japan Studios is a counterpoint but those are two wholly different comparisons when considering money and commercial success over a substantial length of time (plus 1st vs 2nd party).

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Agreed. In addition, not every game needs to sell multi-millions for it to be a worthwhile investment for a platform. It reviewed well, is adored by many players (notwithstanding the technical issues), is another PS5-only exclusive, and is a very different type of gaming experience that we haven't seen before - the last two points lend themselves to the messaging of pushing next-gen only and experimental Sony (in relation to the recent articles). Even if it only breaks even, I'd say it's a success, at least in the platform narrative and 'hype' generating sense for PS5. Yes, Japan Studios is a counterpoint but those are two wholly different comparisons when considering money and commercial success over a substantial length of time (plus 1st vs 2nd party).

Japan studio's games also weren't critical darlings like Returnal has been. Outside of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls which they published, most of Japan Studios games on the ps4 flew way under the radar. Even the Last Guardian which was in development for like 8 years.

I think Returnal will continue to sell well and develop a cult following like BB eventually did. Returnal did a lot of Sony's reputation at exactly the time it needed to with the narrative building that sony doesn't care about these types of projects anymore. This was the mic drop they needed on top of the fact that it reviewed highly was enough. I still think this could do BB numbers once more people get PS5's and maybe they add some QoL updates

Nov 21, 2017
Soho Engine trademarked in Japan as well.

www.gematsu.com

Square Enix trademarks Shi-San-Sei Million Arthur in Japan, Sony Interactive Entertainment trademarks Soho Engine

Square Enix filed a trademark for “Shi-San-Sei Million Arthur” (Fortune Million Arthur) in Japan on April 15, which was made public today.

Hmmm

This game is going to becoming in hot. After Dice's last few games launching with problems plus them working on a major multiplayer game during the pandemic its almost a guarantee it will launch with major problems.

Why is everyone down about Returnal sales? Isn't it a pandemic where most purchases are downloads?

The anti $70 games group is trying to use Returnal as fuel for their cause.

Wildcard Wednesday about to deliver some Ratchet goodness

Nov 21, 2017
Anybody in this thread in the US currently looking for a PS5. May I suggest you check the NEX who are constantly getting a decent of amount of stock each month in store. Some stores even let you pre order them each month. The only downside is you would need somebody in the military to get you access to get into the store and purchase the PS5.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched ign video where dev confirmed random 1 FPS drop in returnal is just UE4 being UE4

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So what do y'all think? GTA6 PSVR2 support? Just like in my Spider-Man proposal earlier, you could just wander around the entire city and take in so many sights and do so many things without ever having to touch the main story.

- Walk, drive, ride, fly, cruise around the city
- Go hunting
- Play arcade and carnival games
- Explore the depths and heights of the city all in first person view both from inside and outside structures

Personally the first thing I'd do is find some train tracks and experience what it feels like to have a train racing full speed at me :D

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone who can tell me in detail, how the dualsense trigger has been in different 3rd party games compared to 1st party titles ? Thank you for the effort kind strangers

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone who can tell me in detail, how the dualsense trigger has been in different 3rd party games compared to 1st party titles ? Thank you for the effort kind strangers
There are three primary functions of the triggers: resistance, mid-stage clicks, and recoil. Resistance can be varied from easy to press to quite hard, and can have resistance either for the entire pull or just part of it. Clicks can happen anywhere within the trigger pull, though often tend to be in the half-way point. Recoil, as it sounds, has the trigger bouncing back at varying speeds. Some games, like Call of Duty or Astro's Playroom, all three trigger mechanics. See video here:

Some games, like Returnal or Bugsnax, use them more subtly, with just a click. In Returnal's case, it's the change between primary fire and alt-fire. For Bugsnax, it's a click to simulate a camera.

Unlike haptics, where first party has been generally much superior, I've seen many third-party developers take advantage of the adaptive triggers to a similar degree to that of first-party. I can't tell you every single game that uses them, but it's a widely-adopted feature.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
So what do y'all think? GTA6 PSVR2 support? Just like in my Spider-Man proposal earlier, you could just wander around the entire city and take in so many sights and do so many things without ever having to touch the main story.

- Walk, drive, ride, fly, cruise around the city
- Go hunting
- Play arcade and carnival games
- Explore the depths and heights of the city all in first person view both from inside and outside structures

Personally the first thing I'd do is find some train tracks and experience what it feels like to have a train racing full speed at me :D
That would be gargantuan for them, and I'd love it. Rcokstar has been adding first person views into their recent games anyway. Skyrim is fully playable on the relatively ancient move controllers, so I'd think it's at least feasible, but whether Rockstar will take the time and effort to port their new mainline GTA onto a niche platform like that is more of a question. Not getting my hopes up for VR integration like this if the previous gen was anything to go by.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There are three primary functions of the triggers: resistance, mid-stage clicks, and recoil. Resistance can be varied from easy to press to quite hard, and can have resistance either for the entire pull or just part of it. Clicks can happen anywhere within the trigger pull, though often tend to be in the half-way point. Recoil, as it sounds, has the trigger bouncing back at varying speeds. Some games, like Call of Duty or Astro's Playroom, all three trigger mechanics. See video here:

Some games, like Returnal or Bugsnax, use them more subtly, with just a click. In Returnal's case, it's the change between primary fire and alt-fire. For Bugsnax, it's a click to simulate a camera.

Unlike haptics, where first party has been generally much superior, I've seen many third-party developers take advantage of the adaptive triggers to a similar degree to that of first-party. I can't tell you every single game that uses them, but it's a widely-adopted feature.

I want a ps5 so bad

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy that RE Village section last night was the scariest thing I have played since RE7. Such a great series.

Status
Not open for further replies.