• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
The Bloodborne of this generation

Pre-ordered Returnal but haven't jumped in yet. I'm so looking forward to it.

Want to finish up Ghost of Tsushima and 13 Sentinels first. They are just too good to let them languish in my backlog. I still haven't finished Spider-man. A new game comes out, I fire it up to check it out, repeat. (Oooh, a butterfly.....)

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Bloodborne's only issue at launch was the long load times (and the lack of tips so you were staring at "BLOODBORNE" for a long time after each death), right?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Calling Returnal the Bloodborne of this generation actually seems fairly appropriate to me. I feel like this one is going to have its mega fans, and rightly so. The game is amazing.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
don't ask me anything
good morning

ezgif-2-86b164385415.gif

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Interesting to see how the rumor of the coalition working as a support project on halo infite isn't met with the same doom & gloom as the bend studio story.
Probably because of the cancellation of Days gone 2 (which is pretty ironic since most people were shitting on the game but now they need the sequel).
Tbh it could have been an uncharted 2 situation where they build on the foundation and laser focus the strength of their game, but guess we'll never know (for now)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I heard Disney was going to approach ND to do a Mandalorian game but since they can't do good gunplay they went to MS instead :p

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
At this point it doesn';t make sense for sony to commit to licensing IP for games when they are trying to make movies/tv/anime of existing gaming franchises. Spider-man works because they own the movie rights to it for the unforeseeable future, same with something like Metal Gear where they have the movie rights.

It really doesn't do Sony much good to make a Star Wars game, rather than letting a 3rd party make one.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it doesn';t make sense for sony to commit to licensing IP for games when they are trying to make movies/tv/anime of existing gaming franchises. Spider-man works because they own the movie rights to it for the unforeseeable future, same with something like Metal Gear where they have the movie rights.

It really doesn't do Sony much good to make a Star Wars game, rather than letting a 3rd party make one.
some would say the same thing about MLB liscense

Oct 25, 2017

Eh it makes sense because the game would sell gangbusters.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Hard disagree. A quality, exclusive Star Wars game would sell absolutely gangbusters and would be a great system seller. If Sony can do that there's no way they'd pass on the opportunity.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Eh it makes sense because the game would sell gangbusters.
Hard disagree. A quality, exclusive Star Wars game would sell absolutely gangbusters and would be a great system seller. If Sony can do that there's no way they'd pass on the opportunity.
It does plenty of good for Sony to have a highly rated Star Wars exclusive game on PS5.

SW would be a big get.

Do Star Wars games typically sell more than sony 1st party games?

Who's to say putting ND, SSM, GG on a new Star Wars sells more than a new original IP, or TLOU, GoW,HZD?

The last 3 Star Wars games have been multiplatform and haven't outsold any of Sony's 3 biggest franchises.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who's to say putting ND, SSM, GG on a new Star Wars sells more than a new original IP, or TLOU, GoW,HZD?

The last 3 Star Wars games have been multiplatform and haven't outsold any of Sony's 3 biggest franchises.
if you gave those games to SSM or Naughty Dog, or the right studio, they would be huge. But I find that the current star wars games being put out by EA are pretty mediocre and it's not surprising to me that Sony's first party games may sell better. It's kind of like how the Activision spiderman games were meh, and sold okay-ish, but you give it to Insomniac, and they know what to do with it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm not sure how the recent ones sold, but just Sony putting their full weight behind it could easily turn a Star Wars game into a 10mil+ seller even if exclusive. Spider-Man games also never set the charts on fire when those games were developed and published by Activision, but when Sony got the license and put a good developer with a proper budget behind the game it blew up. Star Wars is a gigantic IP, a 1st party developed Star Wars game with a high 80s or even low 90s metacrictic would no doubt sell insanely well.
Edit: Jedi Fallen Order has sold over 10mil copies as March 31st 2020, Battlefront 2 sold 9mil copies by the end December 2017.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If Sony working on SW it would be awesome to bring Amy back.
Let her realize her vision.

Would Amy even want to work with Sony again?
I certainly hope so, as she's brilliant, but I'm not so sure that split was all sugar and rainbows. I'd love for those feelings to be wrong and that was all just the usual internet misconception machine in full action.

But for me? I'd love Square-Enix to approach Amy and get a new AAA Soul Reaver cooking. Or hell, I wonder what she could do with the Parasite Eve series...?

Oct 25, 2017

Both Battlefront games did very well and Fallen Order was huge. If Sony were to do a quality Star Wars game it would sell just as well or better than Spider-man.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Returnal credits are rolling. YEP this is my goty so far. Amazing game, amazing gameplay, bosses, audio, design. Ending was really disappointing tho. I beat the last boss 10 min ago but still shaking :D

Now back to act 3

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I certainly hope so, as she's brilliant, but I'm not so sure that split was all sugar and rainbows. I'd love for those feelings to be wrong and that was all just the usual internet misconception machine in full action.

But for me? I'd love Square-Enix to approach Amy and get a new AAA Soul Reaver cooking. Or hell, I wonder what she could do with the Parasite Eve series...?
If you listen to her interviews (2019 and thereabouts) she doesn't want to work in AAA games. She is inclined towards more experimental narrative games. If she really wanted to work in AAA development, I am sure she could have gotten a job based on her pedigree.
The San Diego Visual Arts studio.
So ND South? :p

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Calling Returnal the Bloodborne of this generation actually seems fairly appropriate to me. I feel like this one is going to have its mega fans, and rightly so. The game is amazing.
That's been my feeling for a bit now too. It just feels like something new and special that I'll always remember as one of my first great PS5 experiences. Just like BB last gen. Returnal may even have a bit more going for it with the new features. Instant loading, haptics, etc. the game is just so well made and only possible on a PS5.

I'm completely smitten with it.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Both Battlefront games did very well and Fallen Order was huge. If Sony were to do a quality Star Wars game it would sell just as well or better than Spider-man.

Battlefront 2 and fallen order are both around 10 million in sales. Those are all on every consoles and pc. There's no guarantee that having a Star Wars property as a PlayStation exclusive would double those sales

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Cory left and couldn't ship a game and when returning he changed GoW and made it a Goty.
Who knows if with SW and a new studio Amy would return.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I would be so disappointed if a sony 1st party studio committed to making a Star Wars game.
The commitment is a potential issue also for me.

I love Star Wars and a Star Wars game from Naughty Dog or Santa Monica would be a dream scenario but to be honest I don't want to see these studios working for many years on a Star Wars game.

Having said that if a Sony studio really wishes to work on a Star Wars game it would be a exciting project.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I'm not sure how the recent ones sold, but just Sony putting their full weight behind it could easily turn a Star Wars game into a 10mil+ seller even if exclusive. Spider-Man games also never set the charts on fire when those games were developed and published by Activision, but when Sony got the license and put a good developer with a proper budget behind the game it blew up. Star Wars is a gigantic IP, a 1st party developed Star Wars game with a high 80s or even low 90s metacrictic would no doubt sell insanely well.
Edit: Jedi Fallen Order has sold over 10mil copies as March 31st 2020, Battlefront 2 sold 9mil copies by the end December 2017.

So, isn't it fair to say its the studios that bring the sales and admiration and not the IP?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If you listen to her interviews (2019 and thereabouts) she doesn't want to work in AAA games. She is inclined towards more experimental narrative games. If she really wanted to work in AAA development, I am sure she could have gotten a job based on her pedigree.

So ND South? :p

While I 100% respect her desire as an artist to work on experimental games, she has a legitimate talent for pulling off big spectacle productions. Kind of like Sakaguchi - I'm glad Amy is still creating, but I'll certainly miss her fingerprint in the AAA space.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in general, i'm more in favor of new IP's over licensed games anyway. If SSM or ND want to make a scifi space adventure game... let them do it. We don't need to call it star wars.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Status
Not open for further replies.