• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Personally its very strange for me see there is none to negative discussion for Oddworld: Soulstorm. I'm at 6th mission right now and it completely absorbed me. It's a very slow paced, simplistic but beatifully designed platform game that has a huge chance for my top 10 for 2021.

I hope everyone will give it a shot. It's really good.
The opening 45 minutes were so boring and simplistic it completely put me off the game. I might come back to it when there's less to play, but I'm not surprised the game does not even have a OT.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
Lets see what surprises this week have on store for us

Mm. Let's see:
SSM announce the delay of GoW to 2023
London Studio will become a ND subsidiary
ND will continue to make Uncharted and TLOU till they die
Jim Ryan will continue to cancel all Bend's projects

Joke obviously
I hope lol

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Mm. Let's see:
SSM announce the delay of GoW to 2023
London Studio will become a ND subsidiary
ND will continue to make Uncharted and TLOU till they die
Jim Ryan will continue to cancel all Bend's projects

Joke obviously
I hope lol

I'll add onto this with:

Jim Ryan registers on ResetEra. He makes one post that is just him pointing and laughing at us. He then requests an account ban and has the post stickied to the forum.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
But Bend wasn't reduced to support? They got their pitch for DG2 rejected, you don't pull another pitch out of anywhere so while that was being worked on the studio needs something to do, so supporting other studios makes sense. We know from job posts the writers were working on something since the end of 2019 which was probably the new pitch that was approved.

The secret studio doomed itself by picking a remake of the most coveted IP by the top Sony studio and expecting to have full control. Sony is still hiring for the team so they must be doing something that's not the TLOU remake. Jason pretty much reported standard operations of a company in this industry and blew it up to make something out of it.

People are just frustrated that no info is coming from Sony, the second it does this train will flip hella fast.
Because it's not a big deal .
There DG 2 pitch was a no go so it was either downsize like what happen to SP until there new IP or let them help out some other devs.
Which is something that happens often in the industry .
VASG was always a support studio it's sad they not get to form there own team but hey it happens and they still hiring .
Problem is people like to make things worst than they are .

I think if your a person who causally follows gaming news, all you get from this is that there's no sequel to Days Gone and apparently there's a Last of Us remake coming, which sure neither is a big deal. But when you follow news, announcements and what's happening in the industry relatively closely, then yes it is bad? Enough people from the studio didn't like the direction they were heading and were afraid of being absorbed into another studio and some have left. Schrier mentions in that thread that someone from Naughty Dog told him they half-jokingly refer to Bend as Naught Dog North, not exactly just standard boring stuff. And again, Jeff is obviously not gonna go publicly and basically "confirm the article", or give a meaningful comment about what happened with Days Gone 2 and their studio, he was in a top position and is still in the industry with another studio that has a relationship with Sony.

And with the other studio, they wanted to do a remake of the OG Uncharted, which makes a lot more sense than The Last of Us, and that team also according to the article, was deflated and questioned Sonys commitment to let them actually build a new studio and the lead left. What's not to like about all this is that it indicates lack of interest in building new studios "organically" and are ok with putting one of their full studios on hold for the sake of "safer approach". Obviously I don't know what Sony's plans are or if they're partnering with outside studios and funding other projects, but going on what's been reported, there's enough to not like.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if your a person who causally follows gaming news, all you get from this is that there's no sequel to Days Gone and apparently there's a Last of Us remake coming, which sure neither is a big deal. But when you follow news, announcements and what's happening in the industry relatively closely, then yes it is bad? Enough people from the studio didn't like the direction they were heading and were afraid of being absorbed into another studio and some have left. Schrier mentions in that thread that someone from Naughty Dog told him they half-jokingly refer to Bend as Naught Dog North, not exactly just standard boring stuff. And again, Jeff is obviously not gonna go publicly and basically "confirm the article", or give a meaningful comment about what happened with Days Gone 2 and their studio, he was in a top position and is still in the industry with another studio that has a relationship with Sony.

And with the other studio, they wanted to do a remake of the OG Uncharted, which makes a lot more sense than The Last of Us, and that team also according to the article, was deflated and questioned Sonys commitment to let them actually build a new studio and the lead left. What's not to like about all this is that it indicates lack of interest in building new studios "organically" and are ok with putting one of their full studios on hold for the sake of "safer approach". Obviously I don't know what Sony's plans are or if they're partnering with outside studios and funding other projects, but going on what's been reported, there's enough to not like.
If you casually follow gaming news, you won't even know anything that happened this week.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
200w.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Obviously I don't know what Sony's plans are or if they're partnering with outside studios and funding other projects, but going on what's been reported, there's enough to not like.

Aren't Sackboy, Destruction All Stars, and Returnal made by outside studios? Also, it's clear that Sony is investing in exclusivity deals with Square Enix, and indie devs like Ember Labs, Slowclap, and others. I mean we know all of this.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
linkedinb4k67.png

When do you guys expect to hear about GG's secret game ? It has been in dev since 3yrs and 3 months, I would expect an announcement next year and a 2023 release (6 years in total)

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They wanted to remake UC but it would have been more work\cost more so they decide to work on TLOU.
There is no way that ND would have not gotten no input on there own IP that was a given .
Like i said it sad they doing support back again but if they remaking TLOU1 i rather the people that made it work on it .
VASG job is a support studio first and some people wanted to break out from that but growing "organically" don't mean it will have happen.
If fact having ND , SSM or IG grow more would make more sense since that is what they already do .
Also just last month Sony was said to be working with Jade Raymond new studio she set up and they always working with out side people .
If you follow the industry and think about certain things this not a big deal at most maybe have you a little worry if you don't follow the industry well none of this matters.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
linkedinb4k67.png

When do you guys expect to hear about GG's secret game ? It has been in dev since 3yrs and 3 months, I would expect an announcement next year and a 2023 release (6 years in total)

Wait...i didn't even know GG had another game besides Horizon in production.
So that's another studio with 2 games in full production now.

Dat organic growth is real.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I think a lot of Sony's teams want to release more than 2 games this generation. There was a lot of adjustment in the PS4 years to new architecture and obviously with rising costs you'll want to reuse what you make if you can.

I actually think we'll see plenty of new IP from Sony this generation, based on what might be happening behind the scenes. Obviously plans change but if the big studios (ND, Insomniac, Santa Monica, Guerilla) are able to work on multiple projects at the same time they can take more risks creatively.

Although it could also be a case of having large pre-production teams working things out, so they can get the ball rolling from when they complete Horizon Forbidden West. Say they know how the gameplay loop and main story beats are going to work, but will need the full team to make it work. Having 1 full team of hundreds of people is a lot for anyone to manage, let alone 2.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

In case you missed it, back in 2018 Guerrilla announced that they were aiming to grow from 250 employees to at least 400 employees, which would then allow them to release a game every 2 to 3 years. While they didn't explicitly say that they would have multiple games in full development at the same time the whole aim of releasing a game every 2-3 years definitely implies that since releasing something, then starting development of a new game and releasing that within 3 years simply isn't viable (unless we're talking about sports or racing games, which we aren't. And since then they've grown to well over 350 people.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Nope Mathijs de Jonge is the solo game director on Forbidden West.
Also after the reveal of Fobidden West, Larouche said that we should wait a bit more before he can reveal what he is working on.
If it's Larouche it's not Forbidded West, he isn't the Game Director.

Edit. It's him, this is 100% the MP game

Thanks for the info.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think a lot of Sony's teams want to release more than 2 games this generation. There was a lot of adjustment in the PS4 years to new architecture and obviously with rising costs you'll want to reuse what you make if you can.

I actually think we'll see plenty of new IP from Sony this generation, based on what might be happening behind the scenes. Obviously plans change but if the big studios (ND, Insomniac, Santa Monica, Guerilla) are able to work on multiple projects at the same time they can take more risks creatively.

Although it could also be a case of having large pre-production teams working things out, so they can get the ball rolling from when they complete Horizon Forbidden West. Say they know how the gameplay loop and main story beats are going to work, but will need the full team to make it work. Having 1 full team of hundreds of people is a lot for anyone to manage, let alone 2.

Yep that is why i think Sony studios growing .
Having a mid size team doing pre-production saves on time and you just move people over when the other game finish .
This way you can get games out faster once everything work out .

A monster hunter-like in Horizon's universe would be cool.

They can do a GoT just add MP after they finish .
Which is what i hoping they do or it already there.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
They can do a GoT just add MP after they finish .
Which is what i hoping they do or it already there.
I don't think there will be any relevant MP content in Forbidden West, their first plan was to have Co-Op on Zero Dawn but they ditched due several limitations in both the game and the team at the time, here I think they will ditch to make a full MP game instead.
And there's also a small team supporting the development a VR game, this one I don't know if is in Horizon's universe though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the latest info on Konami's IPs being used by Sony? I recall that an insider alleged that Sony was working on a new Silent Hill game as well as a remake of Metal Gear Solid 1. Is that all we know or is there more? For instance, do we have info on Metal Gear remakes/games outside of MGS1? What about Castlevania? Is Sony working on that IP as well?

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
So what's the latest info on Konami's IPs being used by Sony? I recall that an insider alleged that Sony was working on a new Silent Hill game as well as a remake of Metal Gear Solid 1. Is that all we know or is there more? For instance, do we have info on Metal Gear remakes/games outside of MGS1? What about Castlevania? Is Sony working on that IP as well?
Hi

Several MGS Remakes.

Silent Hill is still in development but the studio has changed (and I don't wanna disclose the name of the new one for personal reasons).

Castlevania was in discussion but that's all I know.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The only exclusive one would be MGS by Bluepoint, SH is being made by unknown dev and the only ''concrete'' (as in reported by more than one person) info is that Sony has marketing rights, likely timed exclusive as well.
Castlevania is a ? for now, but this initiative by Konami indicates this is a matter of when rather than if.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
GG new IP being MP focused is honestly not exciting at all lol.

Hopefully, whatever their project is gets revealed this summer and it turns out to be a full fledged title with a MP component.

Status
Not open for further replies.