• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
The far simpler, more consistent with Sony marketing, explanation is they always had a PS4 version and either hid it or once again, placed the wrong label on a trailer.

Not sure why they would bring the PS4 version back now versus the announcement. Nothing has changed in favor of the PS4 since then. PS5, despite COVID, is selling more than PS4 aligned and is selling a crapton of software.

Sony was planning on selling a ton more ps5 then they are selling now but the chip shortage changed that. They probably planned GT7 as a PS5 only game to help move more systems but know with the ps5 being in short supply for awhile they decided to go ahead and put it on the ps4 since it being ps5 only would not have made a difference in moving consoles.

Imran just said there were secretly cross gen games that just recently drop there last gen version but those game want take full advantage of next gen features because if you start as a ps4 game dropping that version doesn't change it started as a ps4 game.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Not worth doomposting when Horizon already looks as good as it does, considering it's been in development for some years now and some upcoming PS5 only stuff (looking at you FF16) doesn't look nearly as visually impressive so far.
It's not enough that I can enjoy Horizon on PS5. PS4 owners need to suffer too.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This part had me thinking:

'Hermen: It very much is. You can't build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that'd be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.'

This is true, and they didnt with Sack Boy, Miles, The Show. Has there been any outpouring of complaints from PS4 users feeling left behind? I dont get that impression, buy once again forum talk doesnt reflect the real world. I also think almost everyone assumed Factions was also gonna be cross gen.

God of War was always a maybe....but GT7?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So if there was no pandemic, but Sony still came out and said "we want the most people to be able to experience this game", because we love our players, you would not be happy? Pandemic or not, PS4 user base is many times more than PS5, and Sony stands to gain much more by making it cross gen.
The ratio between PS4-PS3 was 24-1 when MGSV released almost 2 years after the PS4s release. The majority of the PS4 user base that buys games - especially at full price - are the ones that quickly transition to the next generation. doing some quick maths, offsetting the PS3vsPS4 user base and the increased sales of PS5vsPS4 a probable ratio in summer 2022, the ratio would end up similar at 20-1. Does a increased sales figure by 5% make sense business wise compared to the amount of work needed to get a PS4 version running acceptably? I would say no, but Sony beg to differ apparently

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this situation with cross gen games. I really expected that Ragnarok is coming to the PS4 but what really is pissing me of that they lied to us. GT7 PlayStation 5 exlusive, "we believe in generation" and all that bullshit. Fuck off Jim and Hermen.
Reminds me of when Square Enix said Fabula Nova Crystallis was to be a series with no ports or sequels and then FF13 happened. Plans change, especially in the current environment.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Again you forget one thing. Cerny said you can develop games on PS5 with zero knowledge of it. That alone says no it's probally not a big waste. Yes it def adds time. But it sounds like they can easily port or fork the versions after they have the base game developed.
Did he say that? I thought he just said that you don't have to take advantage of its specialized hardware. Which, of course, Sony devs would want to. I would say it's very obvious that GoW, HFW, and GT7 have had a lot of work to ensure that the PS4 version is optimized to run okay, and that PS5 is improved enough from the original state of their engines to impress people. And keeping up with those optimizations and improvements as they continue to build the game out.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not charitable read things change .
Maybe they decide to port down later either way it was PS5 only and now it's not and that happens.
If your unhappy you have every right to be and you can sell your system and can get back it's value .

It is absolutely a charitable read of a company that has constantly struggled to label its trailers properly for years.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see why they wouldn't do exactly what they did with VIIR - a hefty timed exclusivity check.
I think that's what they would have done with old Konami that would have likely been itching to make it like S-E with FF7.

But current Konami isn't that anymore and hasn't made or produced such a huge game project like that in ages since mostly pulling out of gaming, so specifically for Metal Gear Solid I could see Sony giving the extra push since it's so valuable to them, since if they're ever going to do it now is the time when the nostalgia is getting stronger and before those us who grew up with it are too old.

Last edited:

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
I think his point is -- and I agree with it -- that they could, for example, have spent the last four years designing God of War Ragnarok for PS5 and PS4. But if they never publicised the PS4 version, released it ONLY on PS5, and told you in a marketing blurb that they designed the game to make the most of PS5... Well, everyone would feel better about it and very few would be questioning the compromises that had been made.
Good point, but at that point the criticism would change to "PS5 does not deliver on the promise of new game design" since the map design would still have been held back by the loading shortcomings of PS4. So, while I agree to the premise of your argument, I think it is not just graphics many of us are arguing for.

Edit: Flying mounts in Horizon will always be my dream... lol

Joo

May 25, 2018
Only thing confirmed for fall at this point is deathloop, yikes.

Sony def needs to put out a summer game show and it needs to be impressive at this point. All the momentum they've built up until that HFW trailer deflated today
This constantly shifting momentum you're talking about frankly doesn't exist at all. It's really just a made up thing in the minds of people who might've spent a bit too much time on video game forums.

Not counting the fanatics, people just don't really care too much if Gow is crossgen, whether trailers are released constantly to keep the "momentum" or if Deathloop is the only exclusive for fall. There will be games to play later in the year either way.

These things will not instantly change their minds about getting a PS5, because there sure as hell doesn't exist a PS5 sales momentum that resets monthly and is only gained back with a good trailer or news about next-gen only exclusives. Most people who play games don't even follow these news, like at all.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So, in the end... That Kotaku article was right or wrong? Do people really need an PS5 now? 🤔
Yeah I do.

The PS5 currently I guess is like the new 3DS. Buying one means you get to play PS4 games but better and then on top of that you have titles that are only on that system. Not alot but they exist. If one already has a PS4 then they can wait unless the really want to play R&C which I would but then I actually have a PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This part had me thinking:

'Hermen: It very much is. You can't build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that'd be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.'

This is true, and they didnt with Sack Boy, Miles, The Show. Has there been any outpouring of complaints from PS4 users feeling left behind? I dont get that impression, buy once again forum talk doesnt reflect the real world. I also think almost everyone assumed Factions was also gonna be cross gen.

God of War was always a maybe....but GT7?

things would be very different if Sony went the other way around and just made a bunch of exclusives for their expensive, hard to find new console in the middle of a pandemic that's cost a lot of people lives and spending money

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hats off to Microsoft for actually being honest about their next-gen strategy.

I had no idea the PS5 exclusives just up and vanished. Brb....gonna check to see if I still have Returnal, Destruction All Stars, Demon's Souls and Astro.
Remind me not to buy Rift Apart too, thanks. As of right now only GT7 seems wild, based on the show last year.

Sony was planning on selling a ton more ps5 then they are selling now but the chip shortage changed that. They probably planned GT7 as a PS5 only game to help move more systems but know with the ps5 being in short supply for awhile they decided to go ahead and put it on the ps4 since it being ps5 only would not have made a difference in moving consoles.

Imran just said there were secretly cross gen games that just recently drop there last gen version but those game want take full advantage of next gen features because if you start as a ps4 game dropping that version doesn't change it started as a ps4 game.
If thats the case.... 🤷‍♂️

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
If there ever was a series that could benefit from the SSD upgrade it's God of War with its no-cut camera.

Disappointing news. I really need some hype video game events soon. News from Sony has been mostly full of bummers for quite a while now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
If there ever was a series that could benefit from the SSD upgrade it's God of War with its no-cut camera.

Disappointing news. I really need some hype video game events soon. News from Sony has been mostly full of bummers for quite a while now.
I would say I need some hype video game events too, but then I think about the fact that R&C Rift Apart comes out and 9 days and I think, "nah, I'll be okay."

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
things would be very different if Sony went the other way around and just made a bunch of exclusives for their expensive, hard to find new console in the middle of a pandemic that's cost a lot of people lives and spending money
I hope this doesn't come across disrespectful to anyone hit hard by the pandemic, but a lot of people who don't work in hospitality and retail actually saw their expendable income increase during the pandemic due to the push towards working from home and the lack of places to spend money. It's partially why we're seeing such a record year for the gaming industry (and such a crazy launch for the new consoles), there's a lot more lower / middle income earners with a lot of extra spending money with not much else to spend it on.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Jesus Christ, are you guys ever NOT CONCERNED about something?

So much naivete and ignorance about how game development works...

With that said, cross gen development absolutely has some kind of affect on games being developed with two platforms of varying capabilities. The extent of that affect depends on the scope and design goals of the project, however. Some game design can be very scalable (ie, a Miles Morales or Horizon: Forbidden West), and some game design isn't (ie, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart; a game designed around being able to traverse dimensions, physical space in mere seconds).

We're still so early in the generation, that developers haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what the PS5 can do, and they won't be truly exploiting the hardware for all its worth for a few years still. Kind of like every other console generation that has come before it...

I'm not even a teensy bit surprised that GoW is coming to the PS4 as well. It makes so much sense, from both a business perspective, as well as a development perspective. Much like Horizon and MM, it no doubt started development on the PS4. Meaning, it's design was already built around the capabilities of the PS4. With the key difference being that Santa Monica Studios no doubt learned a shit ton while developing GoW 2018 that they are applying to the new game. Development tools mature with each project (even within the same hardware life cycle), as do developer skills. They learn how to optimize pipelines (memory footprints, loading, graphics optimizations, and whole bunch of other things with their engines too numerous to even list). An example would be Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Same hardware, but Naughty Dog refined and optimized their development tools and pipelines in between those games. And I'm not just talking about the graphics, which is the obvious and most easily noticeable take away.

Everything from their rendering systems, physics, asset streaming, and overall codebase was refined and improved during that time, because game development isn't static. They're always growing, learning, improving, and applying what the previous project taught them to the next one.

But back to my point. God of War Ragnarok (or whatever it's going to be called), was developed with the knowledge and experience gained while developing GoW 2018. It more than likely started development on the PS4, and is building off of what was already established on the PS4. Even if it didn't start development on the PS4, it's still a project following the design ethos and systems established in the 2018 game. Hell, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, is still a game designed around core gameplay systems established in the PS2 era, with the major difference being in that Insomniac is leveraging the SSD and other PS5 bells and whistles to add a single new major feature to the R&C formula (dimension hopping). That's not a dig or negative at Insomniac or R&C, I'm just saying that Rift Apart is an iterative step for R&C on the game design front. Insomniac knows that series like the back of their hand, and pushing too far in any direction would result in the game not really feeling like R&C. God of War 2018 wasn't as huge of a departure from the previous GoW's in terms of feel and design, and was also an iterative step (new camera perspective, but the combo based action was still very much God of War). Santa Monica didn't build the engine for 2018 to just scrap it and start from scratch on the PS5. They're going to continue to make iterative improvements on what they've established, and leverage any benefits of the PS5 hardware as it makes sense.

Graphical improvements are the low hanging fruit of a new console generation, and they're the "easiest" to get a handle on when moving on to new hardware. But the real design shifts are still a few years out. Faster load times is seriously just scratching the surface, and Sony's studios are no doubt deep in "discovery mode" when it comes to developing for the PS5, and for games releasing in 2021 and 2022, they aren't going to be moving too far out of what has been established over this past console generation. That's just...not how this works. How any of this works...

God of War Ragnarok is going to blow people away, much like Horizon and Ratchet. Hell, all people can talk about is how gorgeous Rift Apart and Forbidden West are, and nary a peep is really being spoken about any paradigm shifting game design changes. Because we haven't gotten there yet, and we're still a few years out from that anyway, because IT TAKES TIME to rework generations of game design teaching and processes. Like, we've been trained to think of game design in a certain way, because up until recently, the tools at our disposal were made with that mentality in mind. Now we have access to tools that will, eventually, change the way we approach game design. We just aren't there yet, folks.

So we're gonna get prettier and faster loading versions of existing game design tenets. Then, over time, those game design tenets will shift, and start to filter out to the industry at large. And even still, we will have games that are just familiar concepts we've gotten for years, because not every game needs to reinvent how things are done, when how things are done works for that particular game/genre.

It's baby steps. I think about iterative design, and a game like No Man's Sky comes to mind. 10 or so years ago, the idea of flying a spacecraft from a planet's surface, breaking through its atmosphere into outer space, then flying through space to another planet, and flying down to that planet's surface, all in real time, with no loading screens, with each planet being procedurally generated, would have been an insane thought! On the surface, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a major step in design philosophy, in my opinion. But I never see anyone gushing about that when talking about NMS. As impressive as that is, it's still an iterative step. It's still just scratching the surface of what that new tool has the potential to do.

I'm not even a little bit concerned about these cross-gen games. I'm gonna sit back and trust that these developers with decades of experience under their belts know what they're doing, have a clear idea of what they want their game to be, and have the knowledge and knowhow to execute on their vision and design goals. It's not like Guerrilla or Santa Monica will suddenly forget how to program for the PS4 because they also have the more powerful PS5 dev kits to work with. That the PS4 versions are somehow going to be unoptimized messes, despite the engines designed for their games being created and optimized on the PS4. Or even that the PS5 versions will somehow be lesser projects because their origin started on older hardware.

RaySpace

Banned
May 9, 2021
I just don't see why they wouldn't do exactly what they did with VIIR - a hefty timed exclusivity check.
Because there's money to be made out of the Metal Gear license via remakes. Sony funds the development and marketing but gets the exclusivity and most of the revenue, while Konami is in because it's a low risk venture for them and they get a cut out of each copy sold.

But why Sony wou- how long has it been since they released a game that appealed to you? There you got the answer as to why you're not understanding the moves of today's Sony, 'cause it's been a while since they have stopped doing things the way you'd like them to.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
This constantly shifting momentum you're talking about frankly doesn't exist at all. It's really just a made up thing in the minds of people who might've spent a bit too much time on video game forums.

Not counting the fanatics, people just don't really care too much if Gow is crossgen, whether trailers are released constantly to keep the "momentum" or if Deathloop is the only exclusive for fall. There will be games to play later in the year either way.

These things will not instantly change their minds about getting a PS5, because there sure as hell doesn't exist a PS5 sales momentum that resets monthly and is only gained back with a good trailer or news about next-gen only exclusives. Most people who play games don't even follow these news, like at all.

I'm not really referring to the cross-gen stuff, I'm referring to releases. I don't think they do this press today, and announced these delays and games being cross-gen and NOT put out a summer show.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Did he say that? I thought he just said that you don't have to take advantage of its specialized hardware. Which, of course, Sony devs would want to. I would say it's very obvious that GoW, HFW, and GT7 have had a lot of work to ensure that the PS4 version is optimized to run okay, and that PS5 is improved enough from the original state of their engines to impress people. And keeping up with those optimizations and improvements as they continue to build the game out.

Yeah pretty much. This pretty much goes back to the same argument that MS made months ago. Scalability.

And I was arguing way back when MS had their strategy that there are limits to it. Which is true however,

Early gen you are def not using advanced feature sets on the hardware. Everything is very much still old gen design philosophy with light experiments on new feature sets like Ray tracing etc.
Also Sony seems very okay with games having as low as 720P resolution + some level of reconstruction to hit the older hardware.
I mean this is no different from PC development with lower targets.

Again they will abandon the PS4. It's just to me that with alllll the financial factors In place they would kill themselves financially or under perform a lot without the PS5 install based being at least half of PS4. Which right now is prob by 2023.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
So, It seems every PS esxclusives will come ti PC at the "right time".. this Is the best strategy, imho. PC GAMING it's too important for every publisher.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Imagine having to discuss this until August or September

ol9u7E3.jpg

At least we will have the Square conference.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
does ssx still post here? if so, thoughts on gt7 being cross-gen?

i wonder what this means for the ps5 version. iirc, kaz alluded to day/night transitions being left out of sport because it would impact the frame rate.

is the ps5 version of a game not supposed to be identical to the ps4-counterpart in terms of feature set? if so, that would mean that the ps5 version is going to be held back because of the ps4 version.

i really hope that isn't the case.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Do you think Xbox is hurting, now that they release all their titles day-one on PC? They are doing great as a brand, better than ever. And their titles are doing great on PC, which, ultimately, is beneficial for Xbox users too. Because it means fuller lobby's in multiplayer games, and more units sold to help fund first-party content. The over-lap between the PC crowd and console users is not as big as people think, especially outside of enthusiast bubbles.
And in PlayStations case it's not even day-and-date to begin with.
Xbox Series X sales are as much as playstation? Didn't know.
"Each game" to me just means each game they decide to launch on PC.

That said I don't know why they wouldn't eventually port all their big games, but don't get the impression they are doing date and date anytime soon. Days Gone was a game they aren't doing a sequel and ultimately didn't meet internal expectations I would think two years in the minimum wait time for a PC Port. If a game like Spider-Man is still selling on PlayStation they aren't going to be in a hurry to release it on PC.
Fair enough. As an early adopter it would be quite the slap in the face if ps5 exclusives launched in the next year or two. I would have rather bought a new gfx card.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because there's money to be made out of the Metal Gear license via remakes. Sony funds the development and marketing but gets the exclusivity and most of the revenue, while Konami is in because it's a low risk venture for them and they get a cut out of each copy sold.

But why Sony wou- how long has it been since they released a game that appealed to you? There you got the answer as to why you're not understanding the moves of today's Sony, 'cause it's been a while since they have stopped doing things the way you'd like them to.

Again. Sony could easily just sign a timed exclusivity check and get all of that with significantly less risk and personal investment in the project.

MGS is dead. It will never be truly relevant ever again. There is zero point in Sony putting a ton of effort into trying to resurrect a corpse that'll just fall apart again as soon as a stray raindrop hits it. If all that matters to them is "the money", just give Konami a check and let them do what they have already done in the past.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Again they start with stuff they did on PS4, that again point to them having a PS4 version and many times they can decide to keep or not keep that version. You are so close but Again plans change it's almost always the case. They looked at hardware projections and software sales and saw they aren't gonna hit whatever number they were planning to and made a decision to Have cross gen.

So unless y'all have some secret e-mail or something saying the opposite you can't make any affirmative statement other than a PS4 version existed, and they had Go/No Go on the PS4 versions and as they saw how the pandemic played out they said they wanted to go forward with the PS4 version.

That's a risk mitigation strategy to help protect revenue etc. Im sure if you saw how their projects are run they have all these risks and strategies in place to mitigate them.

if you want to feel deep down they lied to you go ahead. But reality is usually not even that deep as you all get towards.

I'm having some trouble reading your post. Are implying that they could have had a PS4 version but only decided on releasing it after some further analysis?

From my perspective there are three alternatives:

1) there was always going to be a PS4 version.

They either outright lied or they made a mistake they didn't bother correcting until now, which is the same thing from a practical standpoint.

2) they decided to make a PS4 version recently after some deliberation.

Covid is screwing dev times enough as it is for one platform, so starting to port down a game is going to lead to an even higher dev time. So are they delaying the PS5 version to also work on the PS4 one?

Think about it in this way: the PS5 is breaking sales records. Miles Morales has such a big advantage in favor of the PS5 already and the split will only increase as more people get one. So why would they decide to start a PS4 port that is going to put more pressure and workload on the team during a pandemic and delay the best selling version of the game (unless they work on and release the PS4 version later)?

3) they were working on a PS4 version of the game but were only going to release it if the PS5 wasn't selling as they hoped.

So now we're in a (hypothetical) scenario where the PS5 version is being affected by the PS4 version being developed simultaneously, but Sony would hide the PS4 version if the PS5 was selling enough. Basically it would be a cross-gen game, but we wouldn't know about it so it's okay?

If you're developing the game for PS4 just say it. Don't "exclusive to PS5" for a whole year and then say "actually no" so casually 6 months after releasing your new console. They didn't even give people the courtesy of an outright announcement of a PS4 version. Hermen was just listing of cross-gen games as if we already knew about it.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

With that said, cross gen development absolutely has some kind of affect on games being developed with two platforms of varying capabilities. The extent of that affect depends on the scope and design goals of the project, however. Some game design can be very scalable (ie, a Miles Morales or Horizon: Forbidden West), and some game design isn't (ie, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart; a game designed around being able to traverse dimensions, physical space in mere seconds).

We're still so early in the generation, that developers haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what the PS5 can do, and they won't be truly exploiting the hardware for all its worth for a few years still. Kind of like every other console generation that has come before it...

I'm not even a teensy bit surprised that GoW is coming to the PS4 as well. It makes so much sense, from both a business perspective, as well as a development perspective. Much like Horizon and MM, it no doubt started development on the PS4. Meaning, it's design was already built around the capabilities of the PS4. With the key difference being that Santa Monica Studios no doubt learned a shit ton while developing GoW 2018 that they are applying to the new game. Development tools mature with each project (even within the same hardware life cycle), as do developer skills. They learn how to optimize pipelines (memory footprints, loading, graphics optimizations, and whole bunch of other things with their engines too numerous to even list). An example would be Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Same hardware, but Naughty Dog refined and optimized their development tools and pipelines in between those games. And I'm not just talking about the graphics, which is the obvious and most easily noticeable take away.

Everything from their rendering systems, physics, asset streaming, and overall codebase was refined and improved during that time, because game development isn't static. They're always growing, learning, improving, and applying what the previous project taught them to the next one.

But back to my point. God of War Ragnarok (or whatever it's going to be called), was developed with the knowledge and experience gained while developing GoW 2018. It more than likely started development on the PS4, and is building off of what was already established on the PS4. Even if it didn't start development on the PS4, it's still a project following the design ethos and systems established in the 2018 game. Hell, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, is still a game designed around core gameplay systems established in the PS2 era, with the major difference being in that Insomniac is leveraging the SSD and other PS5 bells and whistles to add a single new major feature to the R&C formula (dimension hopping). That's not a dig or negative at Insomniac or R&C, I'm just saying that Rift Apart is an iterative step for R&C on the game design front. Insomniac knows that series like the back of their hand, and pushing too far in any direction would result in the game not really feeling like R&C. God of War 2018 wasn't as huge of a departure from the previous GoW's in terms of feel and design, and was also an iterative step (new camera perspective, but the combo based action was still very much God of War). Santa Monica didn't build the engine for 2018 to just scrap it and start from scratch on the PS5. They're going to continue to make iterative improvements on what they've established, and leverage any benefits of the PS5 hardware as it makes sense.

Graphical improvements are the low hanging fruit of a new console generation, and they're the "easiest" to get a handle on when moving on to new hardware. But the real design shifts are still a few years out. Faster load times is seriously just scratching the surface, and Sony's studios are no doubt deep in "discovery mode" when it comes to developing for the PS5, and for games releasing in 2021 and 2022, they aren't going to be moving too far out of what has been established over this past console generation. That's just...not how this works. How any of this works...

God of War Ragnarok is going to blow people away, much like Horizon and Ratchet. Hell, all people can talk about is how gorgeous Rift Apart and Forbidden West are, and nary a peep is really being spoken about any paradigm shifting game design changes. Because we haven't gotten there yet, and we're still a few years out from that anyway, because IT TAKES TIME to rework generations of game design teaching and processes. Like, we've been trained to think of game design in a certain way, because up until recently, the tools at our disposal were made with that mentality in mind. Now we have access to tools that will, eventually, change the way we approach game design. We just aren't there yet, folks.

So we're gonna get prettier and faster loading versions of existing game design tenets. Then, over time, those game design tenets will shift, and start to filter out to the industry at large. And even still, we will have games that are just familiar concepts we've gotten for years, because not every game needs to reinvent how things are done, when how things are done works for that particular game/genre.

It's baby steps. I think about iterative design, and a game like No Man's Sky comes to mind. 10 or so years ago, the idea of flying a spacecraft from a planet's surface, breaking through its atmosphere into outer space, then flying through space to another planet, and flying down to that planet's surface, all in real time, with no loading screens, with each planet being procedurally generated, would have been an insane thought! On the surface, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's a major step in design philosophy, in my opinion. But I never see anyone gushing about that when talking about NMS. As impressive as that is, it's still an iterative step. It's still just scratching the surface of what that new tool has the potential to do.

I'm not even a little bit concerned about these cross-gen games. I'm gonna sit back and trust that these developers with decades of experience under their belts know what they're doing, have a clear idea of what they want their game to be, and have the knowledge and knowhow to execute on their vision and design goals. It's not like Guerrilla or Santa Monica will suddenly forget how to program for the PS4 because they also have the more powerful PS5 dev kits to work with. That the PS4 versions are somehow going to be unoptimized messes, despite the engines designed for their games being created and optimized on the PS4. Or even that the PS5 versions will somehow be lesser projects because their origin started on older hardware.
As someone who knows zero about game development, this is really interesting insight. Thank you.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
"And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them."

Wait so it will be free to upgrade? Will both versions be $70? They charged 70 for the PS5 version of MLB The Show and 60 for the PS4 version and you had to pay like 85 for the bundle, right? If the prices are different why wouldn't everyone just buy the PS4 version? They charged the same price for MM ($50).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Yep. And you actually work in this industry you get it. Lol. This is pretty much my perspective now on it.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of funny that Sony would choose to drop this news and drum up negativity on social media right before E3, when Microsoft and Nintendo are going to be putting their best foot forward. I mean.. I'm sure they have a plan on how to market themselves through E3 season. But they could have announced cross gen plans anytime in the past 6 months.

Cross gen is kind of whatever to me though. Miles still felt next gen to me. Horizon blew me away a week ago. Im sure God of War will too.

Oct 25, 2017
What was that about?

Like many scenarios (e.g. Sony calling Nioh an exclusive despite a timed PC version later), many folks presented arguments based on the "misleading/deceptive" labels that Sony used to suggest that Death Stranding was PS4 only.

In fact, I was even called out for "ruining the thread" for pointing out that a PC version was coming. PC version was announced, folks clapped their hands and moved on like nothing happened and that Sony's marketing wasn't and isn't the culprit for many of the issues, including today's.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
So, It seems every PS esxclusives will come ti PC at the "right time".. this Is the best strategy, imho. PC GAMING it's too important for every publisher.

MS and Sony have been moving away from hardware exclusive for a while .
Sony just taking longer since they making more cash this way for now .
In next 10 years a PS system or even gaming hardware will just be option if you want to play Sony games.

Status
Not open for further replies.