• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Triangle Strategy, whats the other?

Not exactly the creme de la creme of Square Enix' IP's.

Also timed exclusvies like Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, DQXIS, ChocoGP. Sony pays for some AAA like VII Remake, FFXVI, Forspoken. But volume wise they make more exclusive/timed exclusives for Switch.

Honestly I think SE is dumb with this exclusive stuff and should make all their games as multiplatfrom as possible on release. Something like VII Remake would have easily passed 10M sales if it got released on PC and maybe Xbox. Or like KH games missing PC releases for some reason. They are just limiting the sales of their games now.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are already calling this project an MMO, wtf?
Did I miss something? how did we go from Monster Hunter type game to full on MMO?

Or is this a classic case of gaming site takes a small thing and runs with it? lol

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/09/29/horizon-forbidden-west-developer-is-hiring-for-mmo

Based entirely off of this:

Part of the description reads as follows: "Possess extensive knowledge of stories and narrative design in open-world RPG games, online games, and MMORPGs."

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Also timed exclusvies like Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, DQXIS, ChocoGP. Sony pays for some AAA like VII Remake, FFXVI, Forspoken. But volume wise they make more exclusive/timed exclusives for Switch.

I assume if the switch didn't exist those would be Nintendo 3DS games or whatever teh next iteration would have been if not for the hybrid console. Square enix has a specific AA game mobile market targeted for nintendo, and they have another for cellphones.

They also aren't very highly visible games, not enough for people to moan about them being tied to timed exclusivity deals. So I'm not disagreeing but i feel most Japanese publishers are just putting games on the platforms that make the most sense for them and its not really about deals.

The games they release for sony and nintendo are very platform specific titles, especially with how they sell in japan.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I assume if the switch didn't exist those would be Nintendo 3DS games or whatever teh next iteration would have been if not for the hybrid console. Square enix has a specific AA game mobile market targeted for nintendo, and they have another for cellphones.

They also aren't very highly visible games, not enough for people to moan about them being tied to timed exclusivity deals. So I'm not disagreeing but i feel most Japanese publishers are just putting games on the platforms that make the most sense for them and its not really about deals.

The games they release for sony and nintendo are very platform specific titles, especially with how they sell in japan.
I'm so so so glad this is a hybrid console now, vs games being locked to the damn DS. Def ensures we get more games. Ported. Hopefully now Sony putting more effort into remote play like finally allowing over mobile will allow for more games to be ported over.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Wait, people are already calling this project an MMO, wtf?
Did I miss something? how did we go from Monster Hunter type game to full on MMO?

Or is this a classic case of gaming site takes a small thing and runs with it? lol

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/09/29/horizon-forbidden-west-developer-is-hiring-for-mmo
They're jumping to conclusions. All we know is that it is an online multiplayer with co-op in it. It could be a Horizon spinoff, a shooter, or something completely brand new

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I'm so so so glad this is a hybrid console now, vs games being locked to the damn DS. Def ensures we get more games. Ported. Hopefully now Sony putting more effort into remote play like finally allowing over mobile will allow for more games to be ported over.

It would have made understanding kingdom hearts 3 a lot easier for me

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Based entirely off of this:

Part of the description reads as follows: "Possess extensive knowledge of stories and narrative design in open-world RPG games, online games, and MMORPGs."

They're jumping to conclusions. All we know is that it is an online multiplayer with co-op in it. It could be a Horizon spinoff, a shooter, or something completely brand new
I am already imagining my flying robo dino mount taking me to a far off land for a raid against this:

aog3qmalvi451.jpg

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It would have made understanding kingdom hearts 3 a lot easier for me
I've played most of the games and watched cutscenes of the ones I didn't and I still barely understood KH3. Now that they're putting plot heavy stuff in gacha games, I've given up on trying to follow it. I'm just there for the Disney/Square shenanigans while I ignore the story. The story is too bad for me to invest so much time in trying to comprehend wtf is going on lol

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I've played most of the games and watched cutscenes of the ones I didn't and I still barely understood KH3. Now that they're putting plot heavy stuff in gacha games, I've given up on trying to follow it. I'm just there for the Disney/Square shenanigans while I ignore the story. The story is too bad for me to invest so much time in trying to comprehend wtf is going on lol

Im honestly not even interested in 4 unless that put the final fantasy stuff back in. Only reason I play is to watch Mickey Mouse and Cloud fight Ursula the sea witch and xenogradisus.

The actual plot of kingdom hearts is so incredibly boring to me, and the disney stuff is just sections of the movie in game form. They always feel like a bunch of those throw back movie-tie in games all in one game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yeah its more likely that they just want someone with that kind of experience all we can know is that it would be some form of PVE experience at minium.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

I like this and hope more PlayStation Studios show behind the curtains of their studio and the people responsible for these games.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I wonder if another sunset overdrive game is still a possibility now.

If insomniac can squeeze out another game between wolverine and spider-man i have a feeling its either a VR game or another R&C

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if another sunset overdrive game is still a possibility now.

If insomniac can squeeze out another game between wolverine and spider-man i have a feeling its either a VR game or another R&C

It's a possibility, it's just very unlikely. The folks behind Sunset Overdrive largely wound up taking some of the soul of SO and expanding it into the Spider-Man games. Not sure going backwards to revisit an IP that didn't do well on XB and has zero presence on PS would really be worth their time.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with this completely. Although Japan Studio will be heavily missed, its games weren't mainstays in japan itself and one wouldn't consider Japan studio as a major force that Sony could use for Japan.

Not before but especially not now with how even dedicated consoles are suffering as Japan moves to hand held, mobile and PC.

A lot of people here want Japanese games itself and not games that would appeal to the current Japan consumer base. Those are two different things but people tend to confuse it as the same, even those asking for said type of games from Sony, stating how it would help them in said Japanese market when the problem with the Japanese market is more then just that.

Thank you for saying this. If Sony actually focused on Japan they will make games for today's audiences which is closer to Asobi/astrobot than gravity rush. And honestly I still don't know where this feeling of a lack of Japanese games is coming from. Japan Studio barely put out games as is and PlayStation still gets lots of Japanese support.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
It's a possibility, it's just very unlikely. The folks behind Sunset Overdrive largely wound up taking some of the soul of SO and expanding it into the Spider-Man games. Not sure going backwards to revisit an IP that didn't do well on XB and has zero presence on PS would really be worth their time.

I've mentioned it a couple other times, but Insomniac's current pipeline looks like this:

Brian Horton - Wolverine
Bryan Intihar - Spiderman 2
Job posting for a Creative Director (MP) - new MP game. Maybe X-Men tie in (and Spiderman?) now that Wolverine is in development. (based on the 'rumor', but could be anything)

With speculation based on the remaining Creative Directors still at Insomniac:

Marcus Smith (wrapped up R&C) - R&C sequel, Sunset Overdrive 2 (led the original), or new IP (hoping)
Chad Dezern (Stormland VR) - VR game for PSVR2?

Oct 26, 2017
I am already imagining my flying robo dino mount taking me to a far off land for a raid against this:

aog3qmalvi451.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have it on good authority (assumption pulled from you-know-where) that they are going to omit flying mounts in order to get the game running on PS4 and the day 1 PC port that needs to cater for low bandwidth HDDs.
Maybe the inevitable "why can't we have new IPs?" cash-in sequel will be able to throw off the shackles of legacy storage solutions, and you'll finally be able to fly free!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I really want Sucker Punch to make like a Victorian gothic horror vampire game. I want to stalk on rooftops and fight vampire hunters and build up a castle lair by collecting resources and minions and such.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned it a couple other times, but Insomniac's current pipeline looks like this:

Brian Horton - Wolverine
Bryan Intihar - Spiderman 2
Job posting for a Creative Director (MP) - new MP game. Maybe X-Men tie in (and Spiderman?) now that Wolverine is in development. (based on the 'rumor', but could be anything)

With speculation based on the remaining Creative Directors still at Insomniac:

Marcus Smith (wrapped up R&C) - R&C sequel, Sunset Overdrive 2 (led the original), or new IP (hoping)
Chad Dezern (Stormland VR) - VR game for PSVR2?

Yeah, I just do not see Sunset Overdrive getting a sequel. It really didn't do very well on Xbox so the IP isn't exactly brimming with excitement. Unless Sony manages to port the original game to PS5 to try and drum up interest and it does really well, I don't think you'll ever see that IP again.

I really want Sucker Punch to make like a Victorian gothic horror vampire game. I want to stalk on rooftops and fight vampire hunters and build up a castle lair by collecting resources and minions and such.

I would be on board with this. Please more historical period piece games and less sci-fi and post-apocalyptic shit.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There is a ton to look forward too though, FireSprite is maybe doing horror, we have two AAA FPS first party games being made too something we've haven't seen at least maybe KZ: SF. We have a Sly Cooper rumour, a Twisted Metal Rumour, SSM maybe is doing a new I.P. We have two to three platformer franchises with futures, MP games, etc.., etc...

It looks more bright diversity wise then it did with the PS4 era.

Hopefully more stuff is in the works as well, even Japanese first party titles through XDEV collabs, etc...

Something old and new, something that will expand the portfolio at least back to having more stuff to try then beyond what we got with the PS4 era which was polished but heavily narrow compared to the other gens.

Hopefully by the time we hit PlayStation's 30th anniversary in 2024 we can have a ton of things that will not only please modern PS fans that are late PS3 to PS4 onwards but also old school PS fans that loved old school PS takes on genres or old PS I.Ps.

Something for everyone to celebrate such a big milestone and not just a few.

Also maybe something BC related being in the works by then too?

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have it on good authority (assumption pulled from you-know-where) that they are going to omit flying mounts in order to get the game running on PS4 and the day 1 PC port that needs to cater for low bandwidth HDDs.
Maybe the inevitable "why can't we have new IPs?" cash-in sequel will be able to throw off the shackles of legacy storage solutions, and you'll finally be able to fly free!
Oh no, I meant for the hypothetical MMO that might come out.
I know that ship has already sailed for Horizon Forbidden West.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah I see,
I still don't think it will be an MMO, but it is fun watching gaming outlets throwing out titles like "HORIZON MMO, GET THE SCOOP RIGHT HERE!"

After HZD I'm a sucker for the Horizon universe. I'm really on edge hoping that they don't mess up on either the story or gameplay for HFW.
I'm ok with them expanding into VR and co-op, as long as it isn't just farming the lore they've built up into low-quality titles. There are great opportunities to tell some compelling stories using the foundation that they've built, but there's a lot of scope for cocking it up as well.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It's def not this but what if hypothetically it was a Horizon prequel. Like the last days before the end of the world so modern/futuristic military game against the corruptors and Horus in their prime

Oct 26, 2017
It's def not this but what if hypothetically it was a Horizon prequel. Like the last days before the end of the world so modern/futuristic military game against the corruptors and Horus in their prime

I like that idea!
Dig into some of the Operation Enduring Victory story. Maybe the final defence of the Wichita Salient as the big finale before Zero Dawn?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
There is a ton to look forward too though, FireSprite is maybe doing horror, we have two AAA FPS first party games being made too something we've haven't seen at least maybe KZ: SF. We have a Sly Cooper rumour, a Twisted Metal Rumour, SSM maybe is doing a new I.P. We have two to three platformer franchises with futures, MP games, etc.., etc...

It looks more bright diversity wise then it did with the PS4 era.

Hopefully more stuff is in the works as well, even Japanese first party titles through XDEV collabs, etc...

Something old and new, something that will expand the portfolio at least back to having more stuff to try then beyond what we got with the PS4 era which was polished but heavily narrow compared to the other gens.

Hopefully by the time we hit PlayStation's 30th anniversary in 2024 we can have a ton of things that will not only please modern PS fans that are late PS3 to PS4 onwards but also old school PS fans that loved old school PS takes on genres or old PS I.Ps.

Something for everyone to celebrate such a big milestone and not just a few.

Also maybe something BC related being in the works by then too?

Whats exciting is the fact that we have no clue what the majority of sony studios or partner studios are working on outside of insomniac. After summer 2022 depending on where god of war lands we don't really have a clue about anything.

There could be like 15 games between late 2022-and 2024

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
After HZD I'm a sucker for the Horizon universe. I'm really on edge hoping that they don't mess up on either the story or gameplay for HFW.
I'm ok with them expanding into VR and co-op, as long as it isn't just farming the lore they've built up into low-quality titles. There are great opportunities to tell some compelling stories using the foundation that they've built, but there's a lot of scope for cocking it up as well.
Well, considering that they care enough about the game to delay it, I'm sure they are giving it their absolute best.
From what little we have seen so far, it looks stunning.

Also, Valor Surges look like they are going to be so awesome, I can't wait to see what different ones we can get like this

BabbVxX.gif

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also sometimes we need to chill on posters who just want a type of franchise or I.P or genre to come back for SIE.

We don't need to go all grounded on them and talk about sales and what not. In the end all of us are invested in PS for our own enjoyment, if we want to expand that with other genres or games or old I.Ps from previous PS generations then we can.

Same diff for modern games and wanting more of what we already got. Both can be asked for since again this is an enjoyment hobby.
It's not possible to make a JRPG without japanese native people as developers...
I'd argue it is since it is more of a genre type now then anything else especially with globalization.

Even anime has animators and writers from other countries taking part in big animes like One Piece and Naruto or Boruto or small animes too.

But that is as far as I am going to go with this discussion since the last time I did I suffered from reply burnout lol.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Whats exciting is the fact that we have no clue what the majority of sony studios or partner studios are working on outside of insomniac. After summer 2022 depending on where god of war lands we don't really have a clue about anything.

There could be like 15 games between late 2022-and 2024
Exactly and since then it has been expanding not shrinking so I can't wait to see what we will be shown 2-3 years in. There is more to discuss and speculate about now then there was a year or two ago.

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
Firesprite and Nixxes are up in the PlaystationStudio page !

www.playstation.com

PlayStation Studios | PlayStation

PlayStation Studios est à l'avant-garde de l'industrie des jeux vidéo depuis des générations. Notre collectif de studios et d'équipes s'étend à travers le monde. Ensemble, nous faisons progresser le domaine du jeu vidéo et nous impactons vos vies d'une manière positive.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, I just do not see Sunset Overdrive getting a sequel. It really didn't do very well on Xbox so the IP isn't exactly brimming with excitement. Unless Sony manages to port the original game to PS5 to try and drum up interest and it does really well, I don't think you'll ever see that IP again.

Yeah. Can't comment on feasibility of a SO2, just thought it was interesting Marcus was the original lead and is currently free since R&C launched. Plus, it suggests he wasn't interested or maybe suited to the MP project they've been hiring for; inferring he will get started on something else. Safely say there are 3 games currently in development at Insomniac + likely 1 or 2 more (Marcus + VR).

Status
Not open for further replies.