• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon needs a bit better writing, especially the sidequest portion. I really enjoyed gameplay but outside Sylens I did not really enjoy the characters.

They are really variable in quality. I'm not sure if there were a couple of different teams, or whether there was a lot of time pressure, but some side quests seemed to have had a lot of TLC while some were quite average.

A few good ones which stick in my mind:
  • Petra's quest (Heap of Trouble)
  • Talanah's quests (Redmaw)
  • Ikrie's quest (The Survivor)
It may be that quests intended to introduce a recurring character had a higher quality. I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of the above return in HFW (Talanah is in some of the promo art). I'd like to see Ikrie return - seems weird to employ a VA like Cherami Leigh for a character they introduce in a DLC and then never return to.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that particular song will feature at a point in the game, although I'll keep where it shows up private so you can discover it on your own :)
I've been skipping cutscenes since the beginning because I have played the original game two years ago. Does it show up in an existing cutscene? Or a new one from a side mission?

Oct 25, 2017
I played the first 5 chapters of FFXV over the weekend and then watched the Forspoken trailer - and damn, Luminous Studios have really stepped up their game. The difference in the quality of the world they've built for Forspoken compared to FFXV is quite jarring.

That's to be expected. FFXV was developed alongside Luminous, and it was bound to ancient hardware. And yet it produced one of the best looking games of last gen.

Forspoken utilizes a finalized version of the engine, and it is exclusive to current gen hardware. A generational leap in visual quality was a given.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I've been skipping cutscenes since the beginning because I have played the original game two years ago. Does it show up in an existing cutscene? Or a new one from a side mission?

From a side mission.

That's to be expected. FFXV was developed alongside Luminous, and it was bound to ancient hardware. And yet it produced one of the best looking games of last gen.

Forspoken utilizes a finalized version of the engine, and it is exclusive to current gen hardware. A generational leap in visual quality was a given.

I thought FFXV was one of the best looking games of last gen until I went back to play it. It doesn't help that 30FPS is horrible so I had it on Lite mode with 60FPS and doesn't upscale so it's stretched over a 77" 4K TV for me, but it looks rough. It gets more palatable when you get to the Duscae region but the desert areas look awful. Comparing those to the scene where Faye is jumping off the ledge with all the cliffs in the back ground really emphasised it for me.

Doesn't help that I went from playing through Death Stranding which is one of the best looking open worlds created to FFXV which is 3 years it's senior, right enough.

I say all this as someone who really liked the aesthetic of FFXV when I played it first time. As time goes on things can look differently in hindsight.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how Death Stranding could GET a sequel. That story really just kinda ends.

"oops the world got fucked up again time to do it all over on a slightly different map this time"

Well to be fair,

Amelie states that the Death Stranding has only been delayed and can actually restart in a matter of days, years or centuries, and that literally nothing can stop it.

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon needs a bit better writing, especially the sidequest portion. I really enjoyed gameplay but outside Sylens I did not really enjoy the characters.
The writing and performances of the audio logs were generally outstanding. The present day writing was good enough, IMO, but often let down by limitations in NPC animation and voice acting. If Guerilla can improve the technical side of the conversation system, they'll be in a very strong position.

I also feel more or less the same way you do about the characters not really sticking with me, but the world and mystery aspect of the story were enough for me to come away with a very positive opinion.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well to be fair,

Amelie states that the Death Stranding has only been delayed and can actually restart in a matter of days, years or centuries, and that literally nothing can stop it.

In that vein though...

Why even bother telling subsequent stories in that world? What's the point of just re-delaying the apocalypse if it's always fated to happen?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The writing and performances of the audio logs were generally outstanding. The present day writing was good enough, IMO, but often let down by limitations in NPC animation and voice acting. If Guerilla can improve the technical side of the conversation system, they'll be in a very strong position.

I also feel more or less the same way you do about the characters not really sticking with me, but the world and mystery aspect of the story were enough for me to come away with a very positive opinion.
Yeah, the core mystery and concept behind Horizon were enjoyable to me. It's the "every day sidequests" that were whatever, but I hope they will rectify that.

Also agree with PlanetSmasher, Death Stranding does not need a sequel in any shape or form. It works perfectly as a standalone glimpse into dying bizzaro world.

Gothar

Jul 7, 2021
Dallas

Yes, the only issue I had with the writing was that there were side characters that I felt GG wanted you to glom onto, but were pretty left 1D. Sun God, Olin, Nil, Sona are the keys that come to mind as they did nothing to inspire empathy. But they are counter-acted by characters like Vanasha, Erend, Talanah, etc. which they did great with. Last portion that bugged me were the Keepers (I'm looking at you Valleymeet...), they tried to give them "character" but just came off as odd...especially in the little time you get with them.

Oct 25, 2017
In that vein though...

Why even bother telling subsequent stories in that world? What's the point of just re-delaying the apocalypse if it's always fated to happen?

Oh I'm with you on DS not needing a sequel. However I said the same thing for The Last of Us and well, I loved Part II more than I did the original, so...

I guess I'll just wait and see if the hypothetical sequel is good.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
For those against a Death Stranding sequel, what if the sequel that may be in the works according to what Norman Reedus has previously mentioned doesn't actually involve you playing as Norman Reedus' character, but rather the sequel going even further into its delivery simulator aspects. For example, you make your own character that simply works for some delivery company (maybe Sam starts his own delivery company after or his role in general is small and you work for Fragile) and the game is really just exploration, making deliveries, and more building options. Maybe you even get to explore underground some of the cities and have more online focus. I would totally be down for a sequel that doubled down on those aspects, especially now that we know what to expect from the world of Death Stranding.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
In that vein though...

Lets... make a toast... to the damned...

The story resolution is a solid expression against Fatalism, it's literally the main theme of the game. We might die tomorrow. Everyone dies eventually. Humanity will not last. The Sun will anihilate the earth exploding into a red giant. And if that's not enough the heat death of the universe is coming. But...

life-uh.gif

Last edited:

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Since Sunhi Legend was able to play Horizon Forbidden West ... Don't you think that the press should soon have access to this demo? (preview)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Since Sunhi Legend was able to play Horizon Forbidden West ... Don't you think that the press should soon have access to this demo? (preview)
i dont see that as being related. Sunhi was hired to make footage, he is not a journalist doing a preview. Regardless Sony doesnt really do "press preview builds" anymore, they either do off hands footage or have the preview be just impressions from the first few hours of the review code.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
i dont see that as being related. Sunhi was hired to make footage, he is not a journalist doing a preview. Regardless Sony doesnt really do "press preview builds" anymore, they either do off hands footage or have the preview be just impressions from the first few hours of the review code.
But we can assume it must be in some playable state.
Plus how early we ussually get those deep dives from GameInformer?

They already did for Saints Row and it's in the same month

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The game is coming out in February. So the press will eventually get their hands on it soon eventually.

But SunhiLegend isn't related to that. He is not part of the press.
He's more on the dev side here. Contracted to capture footage for video editing and trailers. Stuff that studios usually do themselves.

Jan 29, 2018
All you need for a Death Stranding sequel is the invention of faster chiral internet and everyone wants Sam to come upgrade their connection. And also bring some stuff they ordered from Amazon.

I do not remember the end of Death Stranding at all.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
All you need for a Death Stranding sequel is the invention of faster chiral internet and everyone wants Sam to come upgrade their connection. And also bring some stuff they ordered from Amazon.

I do not remember the end of Death Stranding at all.
Louise will probably be the MC of a Death Stranding 2

Jan 29, 2018
Louise will probably be the MC of a Death Stranding 2

I forgot the ending of Death Strandng (and the rest of the story) so much that I just had to google Louise. Now it's coming back to me, heh.

I'm actually in the middle of my second DS playthrough right now. I bought the PS5 upgrade... but I've ended up streaming it to my PS4 Pro 90% of the time because it's in the room with the newborn swing, so any graphical enhancements are rendered moot by the video compression. Oh well, the buddy bot is cool at least!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But we can assume it must be in some playable state.
Plus how early we ussually get those deep dives from GameInformer?

They already did for Saints Row and it's in the same month
Of course its playable, the game is out in 3 months lol, doesnt mean that all the bugs are taken care of or anything like that, but it is obviously at a state that game testers can capture footage for marketing.
Does Sony even still do Gameinformer covers? The last one they did was for Miles Morales and even it was only B-roll footage and interviews to my memory.

Nov 21, 2017
Okay, so far we have these new machines:

Sunbirds
Clawstriders
Tremortusk
Burrower (Otters)
The big turtle (Shellsnapper?)
The bull/Boar

Anything else?

New Machines:
Bristleback(The Boar machine)
Burrower (New aquatic type machine)
Clawstrider(Raptor machine)
Shellsnapper(Big Turtle machine)
Sunwing(pterosaur machine)
Tremortusk(Mammoth machine)
-Unnamed Plesiosaur/Loch Ness like machine

Confirmed returning machines:
Watcher
Ravager
Charger
Snapmaw
Stormbird
Tallneck
Thunderjaw

Confirmed returning characters:
Aloy
Erend
Sylens
Talanah

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I feel like Frozen Wilds improves upon the writing and sidequests compared to the main game. The delivery of the dialogue is still hit or miss though.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally baffled by the Death Stranding 2 sequel 'concern'. I really like DS and I completely forgive all its quirks and indulgences. BUT: Its plot is bonkers. There is no way that anyone can seriously be saying a sequel 'wouldn't make sense' - which bits of DS ever made any sense? They could pull off a full Dallas 'it was all a dream' retcon (the shower is right there) and it would probably be the least daft thing in the plot.

DS1:
  • "Hi, I'm Sam Porter Bridges. I've got all these little handprints all over me, and can't really die. Also, I'm allergic to human contact."
  • "Hi Sam. I'm Fragile. I've got a jacket that pops spikes up if ghosts are nearby, and I've got DOOMS so bad I can teleport! Hey, 'Porter Bridges' is a cool name, that got a backstory?"
  • "Sure, originally I was called Sam Strand, but I hated the Bridges organisation so much that I decided to change my name to, uhh, Bridges? And I do a lot of delivery work so I figured 'Porter' as a middle name..."
  • "Cool! Anyway enough chit-chat, you need to be heading off to meet your team, Die-Hard Man, Dead Man and Heart Man. Yeah I know, Mr and Mrs Man loved their crazy baby names..."
ERA:
  • You can't make a sequel to Death Stranding! It wouldn't make any narrative sense!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally baffled by the Death Stranding 2 sequel 'concern'. I really like DS and I completely forgive all its quirks and indulgences. BUT: Its plot is bonkers. There is no way that anyone can seriously be saying a sequel 'wouldn't make sense' - which bits of DS ever made any sense? They could pull off a full Dallas 'it was all a dream' retcon (the shower is right there) and it would probably be the least daft thing in the plot.

DS1:
  • "Hi, I'm Sam Porter Bridges. I've got all these little handprints all over me, and can't really die. Also, I'm allergic to human contact."
  • "Hi Sam. I'm Fragile. I've got a jacket that pops spikes up if ghosts are nearby, and I've got DOOMS so bad I can teleport! Hey, 'Porter Bridges' is a cool name, that got a backstory?"
  • "Sure, originally I was called Sam Strand, but I hated the Bridges organisation so much that I decided to change my name to, uhh, Bridges? And I do a lot of delivery work so I figured 'Porter' as a middle name..."
  • "Cool! Anyway enough chit-chat, you need to be heading off to meet your team, Die-Hard Man, Dead Man and Heart Man. Yeah I know, Mr and Mrs Man loved their crazy baby names..."
ERA:
  • You can't make a sequel to Death Stranding! It wouldn't make any narrative sense!

I mean I wouldn't call it "concern", as much as I firmly believe not every game needs a sequel, and the idea of a Death Stranding 2 where you go to a new map and do all the same shit you did in the first game is the video game equivalent of How Stella Got Her Groove Back Again. Sometimes it's okay for a game to be a one-off, even one as stupid and insane as Death Stranding.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

Something to note: The hand prints on his body and his allergy to human contact are one on the same, the hand prints are scars from human contact.

Not sure if that's what you were getting at and not that it matters greatly but just thought I'd mention it!

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I wouldn't call it "concern", as much as I firmly believe not every game needs a sequel, and the idea of a Death Stranding 2 where you go to a new map and do all the same shit you did in the first game is the video game equivalent of How Stella Got Her Groove Back Again. Sometimes it's okay for a game to be a one-off, even one as stupid and insane as Death Stranding.

Yeah, I was happy with the way that DS ended. Despite the craziness they managed to create enough of an emotional core for there to be a pay-off in the ending(s). I don't want a sequel in the same way that I wanted a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn - where there are obvious narrative hooks that make a follow-up almost necessary for completion, but if Kojima and co think there's a story worth telling after the ending of DS, then they've earned enough of my trust for me to be along for the ride, however bonkers it may be.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020

DS1:
ERA:
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you missed something in the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that like every video game sequel?

Most video game sequels aren't about something as mundane as turning wi-fi on for the entire United States and delivering Fed-Ex boxes. Sam already accomplished his goal. What are they gonna do, have the network go down again and make you do it all over again?

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Most video game sequels aren't about something as mundane as turning wi-fi on for the entire United States and delivering Fed-Ex boxes. Sam already accomplished his goal. What are they gonna do, have the network go down again and make you do it all over again?
Different region of the world.
Different story.
Different goals.
Different events.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

He turned the wi-fi on, but there other ways to reconnect people in this world.

Maybe there will be a stronger focus on rebuilding small towns and bring people back together.

Maybe they have to turn the wi-fi off again, because BTs go crazy.
There was already something like that in the first game iirc. It's been a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.