• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Royal is a lot more enjoyable just thanks to the QoL stuff added.
Easy Royal recommendation. Starting 20 to 30 hours of vanilla are rough. I bounced off hard. Started Royal last week and it has been lots of fun. Quality of life improvements are a big help.

Also, fuck trans-phobia, I got to the part with incredibly horrendous "joke" at the expenses of trans folks. Fix your shit Atlus.
Royal for the extra contents & QoL improvements.
Thanks guys. Guess I'll be buying the Royal version then. The QoL changes sound crucial. What are your favorite QoL changes?

Vanilla is better because Royal has a lotta fat at the end.
Optional fat? You don't believe the QoL changes outweigh the fat?

Only thing i liked more about vanilla persona 5 is the ending. Royal took all the pressure of doing all the social stuff and activies correctly off, it allowed you to 100% the game in one run.

Also sooooooooo many QoL improvements its hard to even list them. And Kasumi of course, probably one of the best characters in the story.
I hated all the missables in P3 and P4, so this is good news

Imo if I'm gonna spend like 100+ hours playing something I'd rather the best experience I can get. It might be free but my time, isn't.
You're absolutely right, hence my question :)

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020
Any Persona experts around? I'm thinking of starting Persona 5. Should I go with the free vanilla version given by PS Plus or buy the Royal edition? Is that even worth it?

End of this month afaik

Get Royal. Various QoL improvements and the added semester after the end of the base game is the best part of it

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, not trying to be snippy, just hoping people aren't still riding the PS-exclusive train when it's pretty clear this one is gonna be on everything they can get it to run on, lol

If Konami are legitimately trying to re-establish their IP and get back into the gaming mainstream, it wouldn't make any sense to have exclusivity.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Konami are legitimately trying to re-establish their IP and get back into the gaming mainstream, it wouldn't make any sense to have exclusivity.

Basically, yeah. The short-term benefit of exclusivity is probably outweighed by the fact that next-gen hardware is still extremely difficult to find and will remain so for at least another year or two. Pushing a remake of MGS3 as a PS5 exclusive just seems incredibly silly if they want the series to reestablish itself again.

I don't think MGS has much of a future regardless of where the Snake Eater remake launches, but from a business standpoint they're gonna want this on as many boxes as they can.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Basically, yeah. The short-term benefit of exclusivity is probably outweighed by the fact that next-gen hardware is still extremely difficult to find and will remain so for at least another year or two. Pushing a remake of MGS3 as a PS5 exclusive just seems incredibly silly if they want the series to reestablish itself again.

I don't think MGS has much of a future regardless of where the Snake Eater remake launches, but from a business standpoint they're gonna want this on as many boxes as they can.

Not that I think Sony wouldn't try, or that Konami can be incredibly short-sighted, but it would be incredibly surprising still. There's a reason all the announced and 'leaked' partnerships Konami have made are all 3rd party.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I think Sony wouldn't try, or that Konami can be incredibly short-sighted, but it would be incredibly surprising still. There's a reason all the announced and 'leaked' partnerships Konami have made are all 3rd party.

Which is why I'm so confused that people keep clinging to this 'Sony's gonna revive all of Konami's IPs'! idea. It seems very clear Konami wants to come back in full force, not just as an extension of Sony's marketing.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
It having exclusivity won't hurt that i think the better question will be how there marketing going to be .

Depends what you mean by hurt it. In terms of individual title revenue, it would hurt it being only on PS5 due to the limited number of them owned. If Sony offset any 'potential' losses, then maybe not, sure, from a purely isolated revenue perspective. But if it is trying to drum up mass appeal of a 'dormant' IP, being on a single platform & generation at that, it would hurt it's overall marketing appeal - there are other aspects that feed into their bottom-line i.e. merchandising, the purported movie in development, even pachinko/gambling machines utilizing the MGS moniker etc.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Which is why I'm so confused that people keep clinging to this 'Sony's gonna revive all of Konami's IPs'! idea. It seems very clear Konami wants to come back in full force, not just as an extension of Sony's marketing.

Pretty much. They have other uses for the IP; movies, merchandising, gambling/pachinko etc. It would hurt their overall corporate bottom-line by restricting it, even if on a title by title basis, sales are offset by Sony or another publisher.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Sony also has their relationship with Kojima to consider. I very much doubt if Sony went all-in on remaking/rereleasing his games without his input he would be happy with that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you mean by hurt it. In terms of individual title revenue, it would hurt it being only on PS5 due to the limited number of them owned. If Sony offset any 'potential' losses, then maybe not, sure, from a purely isolated revenue perspective. But if it is trying to drum up mass appeal of a 'dormant' IP, being on a single platform & generation at that, it would hurt it's overall marketing appeal - there are other aspects that feed into their bottom-line i.e. merchandising, the purported movie in development, even pachinko/gambling machines utilizing the MGS moniker etc.

I am talking about mass appeal like being one system don't really hurt that in term of making something popular again .
What they going to need is the right marketing and of course the remake being good.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I am talking about mass appeal like being one system don't really hurt that in term of making something popular again .
What they going to need is the right marketing and of course the remake being good.

I mean sure it's possible, but you are much more likely to gain mass-appeal by having it available to the masses everywhere. It's not impossible, but it's significantly harder to achieve when restricted to a single platform, and a single SKU within it at that.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Kind of funny to see all these smaller port/support studios doing these major franchises right now.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

He's still in Toronto Calgary I see. Yeah, I'm absolutely loving Dread, It knocks down Deathloop for me as my GOTY (So far)
I have a few friends in the industry and support studios are the most in demand they've ever been. Nearly every game needs external support in some way

Yeah but I don't mean as support studios I mean as the primary developer. Aspyr is developing Knights of The Old Republic Remake, and Virtuous is working on Metal Gear Solid.

And VASG was close to working on TLOU

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I don't mean as support studios I mean as the primary developer. Aspyr is developing Knights of The Old Republic Remake, and Virtuous is working on Metal Gear Solid.

Remakes are a really good way of getting a team set up to make brand new games after spending a long time on support

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if Sony isn't working on the remake I'm sure people shouldn't be shocked if it is multiplatform.

It wouldn't be shocking seeing as aside from MGS1 and 4. The games are all on other platforms.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
He's still in Toronto Calgary I see. Yeah, I'm absolutely loving Dread, It knocks down Deathloop for me as my GOTY (So far)

Even my studio has been hired to remake something called a Legend of Dragoon and my studio is so small we don't even make video games and it's just me and I have to do it on paper.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Took Apple TV up on the 6 months free subscription offer on the PS5. Giving Foundation a go.

Glad I don't deal with Apple in any way other than sorting out an account to sign up for Apple TV. Their web site is awful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Took Apple TV up on the 6 months free subscription offer on the PS5. Giving Foundation a go.

Glad I don't deal with Apple in any way other than sorting out an account to sign up for Apple TV. Their web site is awful.

I had to buy a new laptop on their website yesterday and the process broke MULTIPLE TIMES. It was insane. I got my order confirmation e-mail so as far as I know the order went through but I won't be surprised if I don't get the damn thing at all.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
halley_3.gif

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020

Ah, a man of culture, I see.

You know, I would totally play a Naughty Dog game with some elements of a metroidvania; in particular the labyrinthine level design and some gated ability progression. ND's much-desired sci-fi game could be based on this model, something like Jedi Fallen Order but vastly more refined and ambitious.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
User banned (1 month): Dismissive metacommentary over a sensitive topic
Weird how everyone agreed at the time that the interview Jim gave was good until now. Now its the guy is a PR nightmare.

And I'm not just talking about the ME comment

Oct 25, 2017
Weird how everyone agreed at the time that the interview Jim gave was good until now. Now its the guy is a PR nightmare.

And I'm not just talking about the ME comment

Some of those opinions are coming from a not so genuine place. Like I said earlier. The ME comments are something he should apologize and clarify and move on.

That said people are taking his comments about the streaming stuff and doing the most with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.