• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was thinking about replaying the first game, but I feel like doing so would burn me out leading up to the second one. I'm just going to watch one of those recap videos before starting Forbidden West.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
They were quite an active poster here so that's really sad.

Though, I really don't understand them. They came back from 2 long bans back to back and then decided to make a meta-commentary post. Why?

Some people really have to just stick with the OT and don't enter any threads that would trigger them to console war.

Maybe starfoxxxy can figure something out with the mods as it kinda feels a tad harsh to be perma banned for that post.
Honestly, the rule with meta commentary is so weird. I did it one time here and was banned for 48hours. Since then, I see meta commentary almost everyday without action.
48hours for a meta commentary is really harsh, so a perma (even if their is precedent).

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Honestly, the rule with meta commentary is so weird. I did it one time here and was banned for 48hours. Since then, I see meta commentary almost everyday without action.
48hours for a meta commentary is really harsh, so a perma (even if their is precedent).

As someone who is relatively new to all this, what the heck is meta commentary? I see people referencing it often but I have no idea if I am even doing it. Sorry for my ignorance!

And RIP Starfoxxxy. One of the first people to welcome me here!

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
We all know what that means. 🤣

Londonheist_morpheus2.jpg
Lmao 🤣 I can already see the person tied down to a chair with Neil standing there with a pair of steel knuckles getting ready to pound away at him.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
Once you're on the shit list, you'll get targeted for pretty innocent comments...

Anyway, I think you guys get too hung up on just one dude's phrasing, even as you see yourselves that it doesn't make much sense. I doubt Squeenix will want any reasonably big IP to go head to head with new Final Fantasy, because why would they.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I speculated this myself not too long ago. A VR remake of The Last of Us would make a lot more sense than a console remake. It would serve the same purpose of giving the team something to do without the flaw of releasing an unnecessary remake of a game that still holds up. That would help justify it significantly.

And let's not forget giving ND some on hands experience in VR development, it'd be a win win situation.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think TLOU remake is going to be PSVR2 compatible.

Who knows in the future but at launch for either TLOU remake and/or PSVR2? We had that dev tweet that made it sound as if ND doesn't even have PSVR2 dev kits or are interested in them.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
As someone who is relatively new to all this, what the heck is meta commentary? I see people referencing it often but I have no idea if I am even doing it. Sorry for my ignorance!

And RIP Starfoxxxy. One of the first people to welcome me here!
Basically : don't use this thread to talk or complained about other thread / post in other thread / members of other thread.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
thanks for clarifying, now i don't need to search for that spot again ^^ So it was just Jaffe and not Ross.

saving the money on license fees and royalties. Getting first hand support from a Partner Studio (Guerilla Games) and have long term stability with a inhouse engine that is modified and evolved inhouse.

a new IP would also be a good moment to switch the engines.

but it seems like they are sticking to Unreal Engine

But people seem to forget that Sony invested half a billion (or smth like that) on Epic.
Having 0 devs using the Unreal engine would be weird.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
HZD's lore is surprisingly deep, uncovering it was a big motivator for me in the game

A fantastic recap from Eurogamer

It is a great video and reminded me how great the story is. The mysterious atmosphere about the origin was a big motivator when I played that game. I really hope they can come up with a equally strong or even better story. I will never understand people who say that the story is told in a bad way.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna pop in to say that i have finally been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC and holy fucking shit this is still one of the best looking games of all time. It's extremely impressive. Everything. Damn.

Can't wait for Forbidden West on PS5. It will be a spectacular sight.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
But people seem to forget that Sony invested half a billion (or smth like that) on Epic.
Having 0 devs using the Unreal engine would be weird.
Their investment in Epic has little to do with gaming, though. It aims to accelerate the development of Virtual production tools. Unreal Engine will be mainly used by other divisions for Virtual Production using the Crystal LEDs Tech (Sony Pictures) and Virtual Concerts/events (Sony Immersive Music Studios).

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
HZD's lore is surprisingly deep, uncovering it was a big motivator for me in the game

Thanks for sharing this. I just watched it.

I remember very few things from my playthrough so I was looking for a recap before Forbidden West.

The lore of the game is very impressive.

Oct 26, 2017

I watched half of it last night and really enjoyed it. She's very enthusiastic about Horizon (I think that there's a reaction video to the HFW 14 minute gameplay reveal where's she shows how much of a fan she is). There may have been a slight inaccuracy in some of the stuff about the Chariot line, but I'm not that pedantic...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, moneyhatting anything from Square Enix in general seems like a colossal waste of money given the vast majority of people invested in Square Enix's Japanese titles are playing on PlayStation anyway.

It is a very weird strategy and I don't really get why Sony is doing it. I feel like even a fraction of the money they're spending on making Square games temporarily exclusive could be used to make an actually exclusive RPG for their users.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Just finished watching it.

It helps that the story in the video was in order from the beginning.

Playing the game & put them infos piece by piece sometimes tedious, but this is convenient.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the first PSVR2 hybrid game will be? If those rumours are turn out to be true and Sony wants to push a AAA Hybrid experience.

Maybe the next Astrobot game?

Danlord

Oct 29, 2017
It is a very weird strategy and I don't really get why Sony is doing it. I feel like even a fraction of the money they're spending on making Square games temporarily exclusive could be used to make an actually exclusive RPG for their users.

To me, it seems like it reinforces the brand asssociation even further, and for the cost of a timed-exclusive vs full exclusive could be much lower in terms of cash value, but the benefit for Sony in this case would be further association with these studios that in turn will result in higher attach rate for their games on Sony platforms, and a repeating cycle of investment will happen for these projects.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely. Whilst I don't like their strategy of paying for timed exclusives I certainly understand it from a business perspective, and I think their radar for a good game in that respect is second to none (see: Deathloop). I cannot fathom their investments in Square Enix content from any rationale point of view. It's almost frivolous.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Ok I pre ordered Horizon and Elden Ring.
I dont know how I'll handle this, because I usually only play one big game at time, but my plan is to play both at the same time lol
I wouldnt mind Elden Ring getting a 3/4 weeks delay to be honest lol

On a side note I gotta say that Im so happy with my decision of going for the PS5 with the disc drive even tho I only bought 3 physical games for the PS4 the whole last gen. Not only I already bought more physical games in the last 6 months than in 7 years but also some pre orders on physical games are with excelent prices here in Brasil. I got Elden Ring for USD36 and Horizon for USD40.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
And of course after watching that Eurogamer Zero Dawn lore video, my main YouTube page showing one video like "Horizon Forbidden West Full Story Leak".

Lol.

4967093-anime-girl-shrug-transparent-11563064199fcrkow9n5o.png

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it seems like it reinforces the brand asssociation even further, and for the cost of a timed-exclusive vs full exclusive could be much lower in terms of cash value, but the benefit for Sony in this case would be further association with these studios that in turn will result in higher attach rate for their games on Sony platforms, and a repeating cycle of investment will happen for these projects.

At this point, the brand association is locked in. People who want Square Enix games know they can get them on Playstation. There is no reason to keep ringing that bell, especially at the expense of actually true exclusive software in a sorely underrepresented genre.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly moving with the Twisted Metal project?

If Twisted Metal is already in production, it would be very weird to hire a game director midway through the project. Like it's not UNHEARD OF, but typically a director is there from the inception of development, not hired partway through.

I would expect this to be more likely to be ground-setting for a future Wipeout project.

Danlord

Oct 29, 2017
At this point, the brand association is locked in. People who want Square Enix games know they can get them on Playstation. There is no reason to keep ringing that bell, especially at the expense of actually true exclusive software in a sorely underrepresented genre.
It's the same reason we still see Pepsi or Coca Cola adverts. They don't effectively need to advertise to their consumers, people are "locked in" as such with one of those or the other. But in doing so, they continue their brand association with the people they're targeting and maintaing there. So the same goes for Sony, it helps maintain that association and further strengthens future partnerships.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If Twisted Metal is already in production, it would be very weird to hire a game director midway through the project. Like it's not UNHEARD OF, but typically a director is there from the inception of development, not hired partway through.

I would expect this to be more likely to be ground-setting for a future Wipeout project.
Didn't we hear that Twisted Metal was moved from Lucid to a Sony First Party studio?

If FireSprite is the one working on it then I could see people who were working on said Twisted Metal deciding to move to FireSprite to continue work there instead of doing whatever Lucid is doing post Twisted Metal.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Didn't we hear that Twisted Metal was moved from Lucid to a Sony First Party studio?

If FireSprite is the one working on it then I could see people who were working on said Twisted Metal deciding to move to FireSprite to continue work there instead of doing whatever Lucid is doing post Twisted Metal.
This sounds very plausible.

Oct 27, 2017
As a racing game guy, it's always an eye catcher when some of these folks move around within Sony.

I'm climbing the walls for a new Wipeout, and wouldn't say no to a new Motorstorm either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Right. What I'm saying is that Twisted Metal moved studios several months ago. So hiring a game director in January for a project that's already been in active production since last year (October, it seems) just feels like a misaligned timeline. You don't hire and spend time onboarding a game director in the middle of production unless something goes catastrophically wrong.

It's the same reason we still see Pepsi or Coca Cola adverts. They don't effectively need to advertise to their consumers, people are "locked in" as such with one of those or the other. But in doing so, they continue their brand association with the people they're targeting and maintaing there. So the same goes for Sony, it helps maintain that association and further strengthens future partnerships.

There's a difference between advertising campaigns, which Sony and Square could still partner on regardless of exclusivity contracts, and outright moneyhatting a game to not be on other platforms for a year or two.

Sony could very easily get a marketing deal with Square for FF and use the exclusivity money to fund an actually exclusive RPG from one of their own studios, which would be a win for everyone.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And of course after watching that Eurogamer Zero Dawn lore video, my main YouTube page showing one video like "Horizon Forbidden West Full Story Leak".

Lol.

4967093-anime-girl-shrug-transparent-11563064199fcrkow9n5o.png

That is why I don't watch youtube videos of video game or other media I am actively involved in, unless I am doing it on a private browser. Too easy to get spoiled, even by a thumbnail.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Right. What I'm saying is that Twisted Metal moved studios several months ago. So hiring a game director in January for a project that's already been in active production since last year (October, it seems) just feels like a misaligned timeline. You don't hire and spend time onboarding a game director in the middle of production unless something goes catastrophically wrong.
Well it counts how far they are in with said project, if they rebooted it and started from scratch, how big said project is, who they need currently and how long do they want to support it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well it counts how far they are in with said project, if they rebooted it and started from scratch, how big said project is, who they need currently and how long do they want to support it.

Right. I'm just saying that a game director is not like...an artist or a QA tester or a junior combat designer. A director is a leadership role, and those take longer to onboard and they need to be there from minute one or you run into all kinds of problems throughout the production track.

Like it's POSSIBLE he's on the TM project, but for my money, I think this is a hiring for a future project, NOT the one they were already working on.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Though I'd love for FireSprite to work on a new WipEout. Technically it is their baby since they are formerly made from the ashes of LiverPool/Psygnosis.
We heard that rumour of a new WipEout being made so I'd hope it would be them making such a title for PS5 and PSVR2.
Right. I'm just saying that a game director is not like...an artist or a QA tester or a junior combat designer. A director is a leadership role, and those take longer to onboard and they need to be there from minute one or you run into all kinds of problems throughout the production track.

Like it's POSSIBLE he's on the TM project, but for my money, I think this is a hiring for a future project, NOT the one they were already working on.
Well FireSprite is likely almost done with Horizon Call to the Mountain. It feels like a game they might want to release at the launch of PSVR2.

Which frees them up for more projects. I can see them working on two titles simultaneously. Of course one with more devs then the other.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I'm not too familiar with British work laws. But in Germany, if you quit in October, then you are usually still bound to your employer until the end of the quarter. Which would line up with changing jobs in January.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Based on the rumors, Firesprite really seems like they're being built as a mega studio of sorts. With the express purpose of pumping out games.

Europe's Insomniac Games without Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.