• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I already had PS Now prior to today, and it's still allowing existing members to subscribe at the normal annual price via the console. The web stores only have the monthly rate now

Otherwise keep an eye on this thread I suppose to see if anything becomes available in your region:

www.resetera.com

Cheap-Era: Let's get you some cheap Playstation Plus Premium (pay $63 instead of $120 per year, stackable) [DEAD]

Hey y'all, With the news that Playstation Now customers will automatically be converted to Playstation Plus Premium, wanted to throw an alley oop for folks looking for a discount. Eneba has 12-Month Playstation Now keys available for $63 and these keys are stackable. I bought a couple and...

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
So what do we think the Premium game trials are? Play first party games day one for a few hours and buy if you like? This wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So what do we think the Premium game trials are? Play first party games day one for a few hours and buy if you like? This wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

Guessing first and third party. Obviously the publisher has to agree to it, and if it's streaming only then it'll only be available in countries with Tier 3. We'll have to see...

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Good analysis I feel
"Sony is long overdue combining these two products, because that's where the market is today," says Michael Goodman, director of TV and media strategies at Strategy Analytics.

"They have created an attractive product. Giving consumers the choice of hundreds of games, and combining the multiplayer is important. It's essentially a price cut for the subscription game-side of things. Instead of having two distinct products at $9.99, one which is really successful in PlayStation Plus, which something like 72% of its install base subscribes to. Versus the PS Now product, which something like 5% of its console install base subscribes to. So clearly in the consumer's mind, the current Now product has not had the value for consumers.
"Adding in hundreds of games, integrating the online part, and cutting the price... it greatly enhances the value."

Carolina Milanesi, president and principal analyst at Creative Strategies, adds: "It makes their subscription offering cleaner for consumers to make sense of. The annual subscription pricing is quite aggressive, which I believe will lead many to opt for that rather than the monthly. This of course allows for a more consistent revenue and decreases the risk of subscriptions ups and downs driven by content releases."
www.gamesindustry.biz

"It's welcome and long overdue": Analysts on PlayStation's new subscription service

The news that PlayStation is reconfiguring and merging its subscription services is long overdue, and should result in …

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
If we are including the PS2 games currently on PSN and the PS3 titles on PS Now, how much could their possibly be left for PS1 and PSP? They said up to 340 titles and PS3 games on PS Now are already close to that amount
This is the big mystery. If I take the data from PS Now Guide there are 418 PS3 games, 21 PS2 games. Already lower than the 340 they are mentioning. Even if they remove PS3 versions of some older games and replace them with their remastered versions, it doesn't quite add up.

While I wouldn't want to see any game go, I wonder what will happen!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
120 a year is ridiculous.
Like some have said...thats the current price for Plus and PSNow with annual subs, not counting discounts.

Thats basically what it is, with some extra perks. ZhugeEX explained it really good in a series of tweets.
For those who are already subscribed to PS Now:

You can stack an unlimited amount of PS Now 1-year subscriptions on your Playstation. Gets you the highest PS+ tier (120€) for 60€
Just go to Settings -> Profile -> Abonnements

At least it works in Germany
Thank you for this. Might add another year or 2 just because, lol.
Interesting how they call out MK11 among all of the first party titles.

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
But they don't have to pay to play older games. And like you said Gamepass costs more so I don't understand the outrage. Must be that they actually want to play the PS games but don't want to pay day one cost.

The problem is that with Xbox, you buy the console for R$4,400 (Series X) or R$2,600 (Series S) and after that you only spend R$520 a year with GP Ultimate to play all Microsoft (and consequently EA) games and online play is already included.

With PlayStation, you spend R$4500 (PS5 Disc) or R$4000 (PS5 Digital) on the console, you need to spend at least R$200-year for online play (or R$380 if you now want to have the most complete Plus plan) and you still have to pay R$330 on each new release (let's say Sony releases 4 big 1st Party games a year, that would be R$1320).

Remembering that the average salary in the country is just under R$2k.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that with Xbox, you buy the console for R$4,400 (Series X) or R$2,600 (Series S) and after that you only spend R$520 a year with GP Ultimate to play all Microsoft (and consequently EA) games and online play is already included.

With PlayStation, you spend R$4500 (PS5 Disc) or R$4000 (PS5 Digital) on the console, you need to spend at least R$200-year for online play (or R$380 if you now want to have the most complete Plus plan) and you still have to pay R$330 on each new release (let's say Sony releases 4 big 1st Party games a year, that would be R$1320).

This is a completely biased comparison ignoring many factors.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

To be fair, they don't say anything about only first party in that sentence. They just happen to list a bunch of first party and one third party. I very much doubt it is anything before people start getting too carried away :P

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Not for me, I'm in the US.

Though presumably if you already have Plus you **should** be able to upgrade to Premium for $60. So if you already have plus might not be worth it unless they are cheaper that $60
Whats odd is I can try to extend Plus annually with no problems, cant do it for PSNow.

Hopefully there is something for Plus users to upgrade to a higher tier.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm thinking I should just buy a PS3 for the price of the premium subscription 😅

Actually not a bad deal considering you can still play PS1 disks on them AND (unless something's changed) you can buy digital PS1 and PS2 Classics for it in the PS3 PS Store.

My PS3 is feeling like a prized possession these days.
I just wish my launch model still worked so I could play my PS2 disc games. :(

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. It's probably just the biggest third-party game they have coming to the service at launch, hence why they highlighted it.

Really hope they don't cycle out the first party games after they are added, hope that just didn't need to be said

Yeah, this always felt like bullshit on PS Now, and if they want to get more serious about subscriptions they should make the deal as attractive as possible. If PS Plus+ launches and it has the entire PS4 first-party catalogue, a bunch of PS1, PS2 and PSP games downloadable and some relatively recent PS5 games too it could be an attractive offer. If they fucking cycle games out after 3 months like they have historically done on PS Now (I think this may have changed for some games?) it'll be cheap bullshit so they can keep pretending they're adding new games periodically.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I think they should have saved the annoucement for when they had the list of games.

People are outraged by the price of the new tiers here in Brazil. Sony will likely continue to lose audience to Xbox around here for years to come.
It's up to the people to change their government to allow a competitive market, they need to be outraged at their own ridiculous protectionist tariffs on imported video game products and services.

Reading about this, I see MS built a factory in Brazil to bypass the tariffs. And Sony rejected the political pressure which amounts to "build a factory here OR ELSE!".

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy morning at work. Time for my two cents as I catch up:

• I'm bummed that we are going down to two free games a month on the standard plan, but if that means better games overall every month I'll take it. Quality > Quantity. Might be wishful thinking but time will tell.
  • I would have rather seen the current games and retro tiers reverse but Sony wants me to put my money where my mouth is.
  • Excited for the retro tiers, but I would have liked a little taste of what kind of games should be included.
  • I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but I'm guessing that any day 1 offerings from third parties and/or indie pubs will end up in the Extra tier since that seems to be geared more towards current games.
  • Since Returnal will be added at launch, I'm guess that most 1st party games will wait at least 12 months before joining the service.
  • No mention of Dreams adding to the service leads me to think the rumored PS5 version is a thing.
Last but not least, announcing this in a blog post was perfectly fine.

The way you had that quote set up, I thought Jim Ryan finally created an ERA account lol

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a Cosmic Red DualSense :)

£65 feels like a lot for a controller, but I had a £50 voucher to use anyway so it wasn't too bad. The plain white one would have been £10 cheaper but I love the colours of the bright controllers!

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully there is something for Plus users to upgrade to a higher tier.

I'm sure there will be messaging on it closer to launch I don't see how they build the new tiers on top of base plus but don't let you upgrade your existing sub to one of the higher tiers for the remainder of your sub.

Well, Returnal is there too and that is only a PS5 game.

That's true, with the Extra tier not having to do with streaming they can finally have a big selection of games with PS5 games.

At least with Miles Morales it's a free upgrade so that should be PS5 as well. Hope it's not like the base PS4 version of Death Stranding that needs to be upgraded.

Yeah, this always felt like bullshit on PS Now, and if they want to get more serious about subscriptions they should make the deal as attractive as possible. If PS Plus+ launches and it has the entire PS4 first-party catalogue, a bunch of PS1, PS2 and PSP games downloadable and some relatively recent PS5 games too it could be an attractive offer. If they fucking cycle games out after 3 months like they have historically done on PS Now (I think this may have changed for some games?) it'll be cheap bullshit so they can keep pretending they're adding new games periodically.

Yeah it will be very lame if their own games cycle out, hate the FOMO of things leaving subs and shouldn't have to worry about Sony's own games.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021

So if I am not mistaken, Xbox had 3 First-Party games on GP last year. As much as people act like the first party is the biggest perk of GP, I truly think it's the charming indies and third-party releases.

Let's wait for the game libraries before judging the value proposition of the service, shall we?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a Cosmic Red DualSense :)

£65 feels like a lot for a controller, but I had a £50 voucher to use anyway so it wasn't too bad. The plain white one would have been £10 cheaper but I love the colours of the bright controllers!

I hear ya. It is always easier to buy at MSRP when we have store credit in our hands instead of our own money.

Status
Not open for further replies.