• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
God damn it, Konami, just release a proper HD Remaster of Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 already! :( :(
This isn't usually said about PlayStation 1 games, but I think even a remaster of the first game on a modern engine with updated controls would be awesome. Just looking at the original assets in Softimage 3D, they are way more detailed than they have any right to be:

The character models are impressive as well:

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
tbh isnt that kinda of the plot of Nioh 1 lol

Lol you aren't wrong. And also the plot of a lot of stories...

Oh god you just reminded me that FX is making a new Shogun show for some god-forsaken reason. As if we need another Orientalist "fish out of water" story smh. Haven't we learned that POC-centered media do really well by now?

Oh really? Oh man. I don't think I heard that announcement. :/

The funny thing is, I actually really like the Shogun novel. But the Orientalist fish out of water narrative is so fucking tired and gross to me. I tend to give the Shogun novel a little bit of a pass because of how old it is, and the times in which it was originally written and released, but when it comes to modern stories, I have pretty much zero tolerance for that shit. In 2022, Shogun doesn't need a modern adaptation. The novel and Richard Chamberlain movie, and its spiritual successor, The Last Samurai, are plenty.

I want to watch stories actually about People of Color, not stories about white people swooping in and somehow making People of Color's lives magically better (while also romancing the most beautiful woman of color in the city/town/village/etc). Ugh.

It feels weird to me that Sony paid $1 billion into Epic Games. Like that's one of their biggest investments ever, and it just feels so inconsequential.

Considering their CES presentation, that doesn't even feel like a joke.

Right? lol

I was mostly being facetious, but was I really? As noted above, that concept isn't exactly unheard of or overplayed.

But I do imagine that Sony is going to do right by a Ghost of Tsushima movie in terms of casting. It's been heartening the past few years seeing a greater push for diversity in film and television these days, so I'm cautiously optimistic about these new projects from Sony.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
ND's really good at banter but also characters talking to themselves and to each other during gameplay, all the "incidental" talk in games.

I love Ellie's patented "f#cker" lol and her "sssh sssh shut up!" when she sneaks up on someone in TLOU2.
Or a disappointed "oh god!" when her cover is blown. Or an "okay" under her breath after escaping a hairy situation.

Not joking it always seems right on the money.

I mostly don't care who they cast for GoT in general, but Michelle Yeoh would be a perfect Lady Adachi.

Oh shit I wouldn't mind that. Michelle Yeoh GOAT.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
ND's really good at banter but also characters talking to themselves and to each other during gameplay, all the "incidental" talk in games.

I love Ellie's patented "f#cker" lol and her "sssh sssh shut up!" when she sneaks up on someone in TLOU2.
Or a disappointed "oh god!" when her cover is blown. Or an "okay" under her breath after escaping a hairy situation.

Not joking it always seems right on the money.

No one in the industry is as good as ND when it comes to character banter. To some degree it's something they've been working on as far back as the Jak games.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've put a few hours into TLOU 2 and I'm playing it exactly how I played the first game - Obsessively, checking every room for supplies and hoarding as much as I can. Does everyone else play like that? lol

I love that they carried over my favourite thing from Left Behind. That is, the ability to set the clickers onto other humans. Just had a sick sequence were I did just that.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This isn't usually said about PlayStation 1 games, but I think even a remaster of the first game on a modern engine with updated controls would be awesome. Just looking at the original assets in Softimage 3D, they are way more detailed than they have any right to be:

The character models are impressive as well:

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

Damn, those are really good!

I'd probably still update the character models a little, and maybe add some updated volumetric effects for the fog, but I'd be happy with an FFIX style Remaster of Silent Hill 1. I love that game to pieces, but unlike Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4, I can still play Silent Hill one on my Vita and Vita TV! I can only play SH2 and 3 through the terrible HD Collection.

I know it won't happen, but a part of me wishes that the new PS+ has the PS2 Classics versions of Silent Hill 2-4, and of course the PS1 version of Silent Hill. Being able to download and play those on my PS5 would be fucking amazing.

Out of everything Sony has cooking, I'm honestly the most interested in the PS1, PS2, and PSP lineup for PS+. I don't expect it to come out the gate with a massive library of titles, and they already mentioned that they have 100 publishers on board, and are bringing some of the most beloved titles to the service (I'm gonna assume not the ones that have HD Remasters available already, but who knows).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish SH2 would get a total love letter remake. A glorious overhaul that stays true to original, I think DMC, SH2 and MGS2 are the games I replayed the most in life.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I have put 40+ hours into Elden Ring and I must say that my face has been like this most of the time because of the great art direction in almost every level I stumble upon.

the-fountain-hugh-jackman.gif

The photos of this game just don't do it justice.

Suffice to say, I'm in love.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly don't care who they cast for GoT in general, but Michelle Yeoh would be a perfect Lady Adachi.

While that'd be a fun choice, they should absolutely cast Japanese & Mongolian actors/actresses considering how it's related to them.

Curious to see how faithful this film will be like if they'll go English everything action flick or Japanese & Mongolian Akira Kurosawa style drama.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
91gy7uhGAcL.jpg

"Young Samurai is a series of martial arts/action-adventure stories written by Chris Bradford, set in 17th century Japan, following the exploits of an English boy, Jack Fletcher, as he strives to be the first gaijin samurai."

😭

LMAO

Oh man, I've never heard of this series, and I'm dying at how almost spot on my not so satirical post was to describing this series of books lol

I mean, write what you know, right? But still, that trope is so damn played out. I'm surprised Sony hasn't acquired the film rights to this and didn't ping Holland for an adaptation of this series already, and back when Holland was younger (though he still looks like a youngling at 25)...

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
While that'd be a fun choice, they should absolutely cast Japanese & Mongolian actors/actresses considering how it's related to them.

Curious to see how faithful this film will be like if they'll go English everything action flick or Japanese & Mongolian Akira Kurosawa style drama.
I mean, sure, but Lauren Tom isn't Japanese either (Chinese ancestry) and she played the original.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to go for a big actor for Jin Sakai. Basically the only reason Uncharted had the success it did was the momentum of Tom Holland coming off NWH.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish SH2 would get a total love letter remake. A glorious overhaul that stays true to original, I think DMC, SH2 and MGS2 are the games I replayed the most in life.

I'd be nervous about any full remakes of Team Silent's games. I know there's been talk in recent days about remakes changing the look of the original, but with TS games you're talking about certainly visual elements being there for a narrative reason. It's not just because they liked the way it looked. I saw someone mention something about how Team ICO's games have a dream-like visual quality, but that's a good example of a developer doing something simply because they like how it looks. Changing it is a matter of taste rather than narrative. It having nothing to do with narrative is really highlighted by Ueda's interpretation of ICO's ending.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to go for a big actor for Jin Sakai. Basically the only reason Uncharted had the success it did was the momentum of Tom Holland coming off NWH.
I swear if they don't put Daisuke as Jin...He is literally him and he is an actor for fuck's sake.

I'd be nervous about any full remakes of Team Silent's games. I know there's been talk in recent days about remakes changing the look of the original, but with TS games you're talking about certainly visual elements being there for a narrative reason. It's not just because they liked the way it looked. I saw someone mention something about how Team ICO's games have a dream-like visual quality, but that's a good example of a developer doing something simply because they like how it looks. Changing it is a matter of taste rather than narrative. It having nothing to do with narrative is really highlighted by Ueda's interpretation of ICO's ending.
It's mostly a wish, I don't think anyone could have done it aside the core Silent Team meeting again and doing it themselves. Like the fog aspect, it is fucking crucial for SH2 to feel right and it was one of the things the infamous HD collection shat on.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
All I know is that the Ghost of Tsushima film better find a way to capture the epic-ness of that title card drop in live action. Especially the musical score that accompanies it.

GoT has such a beautiful soundtrack, and one of the things that disappointed me about the Uncharted movie was how infrequently it utilized the score from the Uncharted games. I don't think the Uncharted series gets enough love for its soundtrack, but I think it has such a wonderful score, and a few themes and leitmotifs that immediately scream "Uncharted" to me whenever I hear them (and not just Nate's Theme, which is obviously the best and my fave).

Speaking of the Uncharted movie, my hot take, and one I never thought I'd utter: I actually dug Mark Wahlberg's Sully in this movie. To be honest, I think him and Holland had some fun chemistry, and I was surprised by it, since I haven't enjoyed Wahlberg in much of anything since The Big Hit. In general, I think the Uncharted movie, while not completely feeling like Uncharted, was still a fun time. It's probably the most inoffensive game to film adaptation I've watched. Just an enjoyable, if standard adventure movie. I can see why it's doing well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly a wish, I don't think anyone could have done it aside the core Silent Team meeting again and doing it themselves. Like the fog aspect, it is fucking crucial for SH2 to feel right and it was one of the things the infamous HD collection shat on.

Yeah, it's one of those things that probably sounds a lot better in one's head than it would ever be in practice. SH2 is like a relic of its time, and the hardware it released on. Trying to make it into some absurd modern graphics-powerhouse game would not be to its benefit.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

The sad thing is, the closest we're going to get to that is the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition, which is a fan effort to make the PC version of SH2 using the best parts of each version that was released. Also outside of possible gameplay re-jigging (Like a clearer health status system, the first game's version was a lot better for example) on some minor elements, along with improvements to load times, framerate and resolution I don't see what can be done to really improve Silent Hill 2 for a new generation of players.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's one of those things that probably sounds a lot better in one's head than it would ever be in practice. SH2 is like a relic of its time, and the hardware it released on. Trying to make it into some absurd modern graphics-powerhouse game would not be to its benefit.
At least I can expect the story to be good with that lol. Outside of SH1-3 the story in SH really jumped into the abyss.

Oct 25, 2017
I said was taking a break from Elden Ring, but I'm back again because I wanted to try something out with my Bleed character. The Bloody Helice with the War Cry on another weapon is completely broken in this game, especially when you add the White Mask and Lord of Blood's Exultation to stack up. I'm literally defeating some very hard bosses in just 10-15 seconds. I'm on NG+5 now.
Qe0hNTO.jpg

pSBke5t.jpg

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Are we assuming Factions 2 will be day 1 PC? It would be interesting to see ND develop for PC for the first time since 1989

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, sure, but Lauren Tom isn't Japanese either (Chinese ancestry) and she played the original.
Yeah, But that's in video games, where it's been more forgiving on who voices who, no matter their ethic background.

I just think the optics of casting a well known Chinese actress to play a Japanese character on big budget Hollywood film about the Mongol's invasion of a Japanese island will no doubt invite controversy that could've been avoided by just casting a well known Japanese actress instead.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
All I know is that the Ghost of Tsushima film better find a way to capture the epic-ness of that title card drop in live action. Especially the musical score that accompanies it.

GoT has such a beautiful soundtrack, and one of the things that disappointed me about the Uncharted movie was how infrequently it utilized the score from the Uncharted games. I don't think the Uncharted series gets enough love for its soundtrack, but I think it has such a wonderful score, and a few themes and leitmotifs that immediately scream "Uncharted" to me whenever I hear them (and not just Nate's Theme, which is obviously the best and my fave).

Speaking of the Uncharted movie, my hot take, and one I never thought I'd utter: I actually dug Mark Wahlberg's Sully in this movie. To be honest, I think him and Holland had some fun chemistry, and I was surprised by it, since I haven't enjoyed Wahlberg in much of anything since The Big Hit. In general, I think the Uncharted movie, while not completely feeling like Uncharted, was still a fun time. It's probably the most inoffensive game to film adaptation I've watched. Just an enjoyable, if standard adventure movie. I can see why it's doing well.

I hope they don't cheapen the soundtrack like they did with Uncharted.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope ND doesn't just become the HBO of PS Studios. I want some more lighthearted stuff from them like UC 1-3 and Lost Legacy.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope ND doesn't just become the HBO of PS Studios. I want some more lighthearted stuff from them like UC 1-3 and Lost Legacy.
Well, Druckmann listed Hotline Miami, Punisher and Ghost Rider as IPs he would like to work on. I think ND simply likes making heavy stuff at this point...but on the other hand UC4 actually had super nice and sweet ending.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Any news if the PS5 Elden Ring will receive any sort of upgrade? I heard something about ray tracing somewhere, though I am more interested in frame pacing.

Still haven't bought it yet, too many things to play (Cyberpunk is still in shrink wrap), so won't mind waiting for sometime.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I said was taking a break from Elden Ring, but I'm back again because I wanted to try something out with my Bleed character. The Bloody Helice with the War Cry on another weapon is completely broken in this game, especially when you add the White Mask and Lord of Blood's Exultation to stack up. I'm literally defeating some very hard bosses in just 10-15 seconds. I'm on NG+5 now.
Qe0hNTO.jpg

pSBke5t.jpg

what armor and talisman's are you using? i'm curious!

i'm also a Bleed build, and I'm currently using the Rivers of Blood Katana at +10, and the talisman that increases something when someone has bleed, but i wouldn't mind anything that makes me even stronger! lol. I'm not in NG+ yet (I beat the game, but I'm still roaming around the world and exploring before i jump into NG+). i'm playing a Samurai, with an emphasis on Dex and Strength, with some points in Mind so I can use my Black Knife Tiche summon (man, she has expensive FP cost!)

Why would Factions be on PC, and day one

If it has any kind of live service features, it would make sense to release it on PC to maximize potential revenue.

I hope they don't cheapen the soundtrack like they did with Uncharted.

It's the one aspect of Uncharted that disappointed me the most. I was legit surprised at how generic the soundtrack was, and there was only like one or two scenes where they actually used a track from the games. It was great to hear it, but I was also like, "Dude, there are a lot of tracks across 5 games that you guys could have grabbed from..."

Hmm, it'd actually be kind of cool if a fan edit re-scored the movie with the soundtrack from the games. I bet it was enhance the experience significantly.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sony have updated the webpage for PlayStation Studios. Still haven't added Haven yet.

Banner was also updated with Demon's Souls, new MLB guy, updated Aloy design and updated GT.

Concrete Genie guy was removed for Death Stranding.

Old:

unknown.png

New:

unknown.png

www.playstation.com

PlayStation Studios | PlayStation

PlayStation Studios defined gaming for generations. Our collective of studios and teams span the globe – and together – advance gaming and the positive impact it has on people’s lives.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Damn, those are really good!

I'd probably still update the character models a little, and maybe add some updated volumetric effects for the fog, but I'd be happy with an FFIX style Remaster of Silent Hill 1. I love that game to pieces, but unlike Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4, I can still play Silent Hill one on my Vita and Vita TV! I can only play SH2 and 3 through the terrible HD Collection.

I know it won't happen, but a part of me wishes that the new PS+ has the PS2 Classics versions of Silent Hill 2-4, and of course the PS1 version of Silent Hill. Being able to download and play those on my PS5 would be fucking amazing.

Out of everything Sony has cooking, I'm honestly the most interested in the PS1, PS2, and PSP lineup for PS+. I don't expect it to come out the gate with a massive library of titles, and they already mentioned that they have 100 publishers on board, and are bringing some of the most beloved titles to the service (I'm gonna assume not the ones that have HD Remasters available already, but who knows).
For what it's worth, Silent Hill 4: The Room was a PlayStation 2 Classic on the PlayStation 3 Store (albeit only in some countries) and the PC version was re-released in 2020, so I think we might see that one. Same with the PlayStation One Classic of the first game (which was $5 on the PlayStation 3).

The HD Collection is already on PlayStation Now, so Silent Hill 2-3 are unfortunately less likely. I hope they're on there, though.

Also outside of possible gameplay re-jigging (Like a clearer health status system, the first game's version was a lot better for example) on some minor elements, along with improvements to load times, framerate and resolution I don't see what can be done to really improve Silent Hill 2 for a new generation of players.
Agreed. The original Silent Hill games are basically arthouse psychological horror stories in video game form. Remaking Silent Hill 2 (aside from technical improvements) would be like redoing a David Lynch movie. Those are symbolism-heavy works of storytelling that nailed most aspects the first time around. What would you even change?

A lot of the suggested changes for Silent Hill remakes I have seen aren't even good ideas. For example, a lot of people want Resident Evil 2-style chase sequences, even though Pyramid Head only exists to help James. Why would he hunt him down like Mister X? That would also kill the game's pacing, atmosphere, and tone.

There's demand for a bunch of crazy combat mechanics to be added into the original Silent Hill games, which also misses the point of the protagonists being regular dudes in a serious psychological drama. The series wasn't intended to be a Resident Evil action/horror.

Some of the intentional voice acting choices are sometimes mocked, such as Angela's infection (even though she's a socially awkward trauma survivor). I'm not sure that inserting full Resident Evil-style over-the-shoulder camera is a good idea, for the reasons talked about by the developers.

In my opinion, it would honestly be simpler to remaster the original games and make new ones. Remaking Silent Hill would be like navigating a minefield.

Oct 25, 2017

i'm also a Bleed build, and I'm currently using the Rivers of Blood Katana at +10, and the talisman that increases something when someone has bleed, but i wouldn't mind anything that makes me even stronger! lol. I'm not in NG+ yet (I beat the game, but I'm still roaming around the world and exploring before i jump into NG+). i'm playing a Samurai, with an emphasis on Dex and Strength, with some points in Mind so I can use my Black Knife Tiche summon (man, she has expensive FP cost!)
No problem

Head: White Mask
Chest: Twinned Armor
Arms: Bull-Goat Gauntlets
Legs: Bull-Goat Greaves

Talisman 1: Erdtree's Favor +2
Talisman 2: Dragoncrest Shield Talisman +1
Talisman 3: Lord of Blood's Exultation
Talisman 4: Rotten Winged Sword Insignia

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

If it has any kind of live service features, it would make sense to release it on PC to maximize potential revenue.

It's the one aspect of Uncharted that disappointed me the most. I was legit surprised at how generic the soundtrack was, and there was only like one or two scenes where they actually used a track from the games. It was great to hear it, but I was also like, "Dude, there are a lot of tracks across 5 games that you guys could have grabbed from..."

Hmm, it'd actually be kind of cool if a fan edit re-scored the movie with the soundtrack from the games. I bet it was enhance the experience significantly.
Every game should release on PC to maximize potential revenue then..

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Qe0hNTO.jpg
1771 HP in NG+5? You are very brave. Though I guess if you kill bosses fast enough, it doesn't really matter lol

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Sony have updated the webpage for PlayStation Studios. Still haven't added Haven yet.

Banner was also updated with Demon's Souls, new MLB guy, updated Aloy design and updated GT.

Concrete Genie guy was removed for Death Stranding.

Old:

unknown.png

New:

unknown.png

www.playstation.com

PlayStation Studios | PlayStation

PlayStation Studios defined gaming for generations. Our collective of studios and teams span the globe – and together – advance gaming and the positive impact it has on people’s lives.
Noooooo! Concrete Genie Guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.