• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
No matter what happens with Kojima and potentials game with MS, thinking he will stop releasing games on Playstation is just non sense.
I don't think anyone thought he wasn't releasing games on Playstation anymore, just that he had a project with Microsoft and was probably focusing on that.

That being said, it seems really early for them to be starting mocap for that project. I wouldn't be surprised if this was death stranding 2.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The reason I quoted that post was because in that post you don't talk about your opinion at all. Not one word. You're focused entirely on attacking theirs and them. But it's good that you've chilled.

I was pretty clear in what I was taking issue with and that was not about an opinion. I stand by that.

But I'll also drop it form here.

We all have better things to do on a sunday other than arguing with each other.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think anyone thought he wasn't releasing games on Playstation anymore, just that he had a project with Microsoft and was probably focusing on that.

That being said, it seems really early for them to be starting mocap for that project. I wouldn't be surprised if this was death stranding 2.
When there was the rumor of the cloud game lots people freaks out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind Kojima stepping away from PS for one game so he can come back to the PS5 after and not make Death Stranding 2.

Fuck I would just write him off as a creator forever if that garbage is all we're ever gonna see from him moving forward. I loved MGSV so much and Death Stranding is like antimatter by comparison.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Slay the Spire experts, I managed to get to The Heart with all four characters, how hard is actually The Heart as a boss?
Is it basically "perfect run" or nothing? I am kinda satisfied at this point but I wouldn't mind beating it with one character.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I started a master difficulty run in Kena and that shit is hard.

Not sure if I'm going to make it as I know some harder bosses are waiting in the latter half of the game.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if I'm going to make it as I know some harder bosses are waiting in the latter half of the game.

Good luck to you, I had to turn the difficulty down from normal to story about half way through. I don't have the time for difficult games.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Good luck to you, I had to turn the difficulty down from normal to story about half way through. I don't have the time for difficult games.
Yeah lol, I'm a scrub so I did the same thing towards the end of the game. The gap between easy and normal seems pretty big, I wish I could have less aggressive enemies but still have your special recharge with attacks. I started another playthrough on normal a while back so maybe I'll get through it this time.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I honestly wouldn't mind Kojima stepping away from PS for one game so he can come back to the PS5 after and not make Death Stranding 2.

Fuck I would just write him off as a creator forever if that garbage is all we're ever gonna see from him moving forward. I loved MGSV so much and Death Stranding is like antimatter by comparison.
I lost interest in his work ever since the "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" tweet

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest in his work ever since the "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" tweet

Yeah, honestly, I lost a lot of respect for him through the whole Quiet debacle. Just absolutely absurd how badly that game treated its only notable female character, and Kojima had the balls to try and talk down to consumers before launch as if the "real story" would justify the even worse shit he did to her in-narrative and in-gameplay.

Death Stranding being whatever the fuck it was was the hammer blow that killed the rest of my respect for him. Dude's head is so far up his own ass he's created a mobius strip entirely out of his own ego.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
Yeah, honestly, I lost a lot of respect for him through the whole Quiet debacle. Just absolutely absurd how badly that game treated its only notable female character, and Kojima had the balls to try and talk down to consumers before launch as if the "real story" would justify the even worse shit he did to her in-narrative and in-gameplay.

Death Stranding being whatever the fuck it was was the hammer blow that killed the rest of my respect for him.
Exactly. Trying to put the blame on players for calling him out on his sexism.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched Uncharted, it was a good blockbuster movie, pretty entertaining also sequel bait, and we know we are getting one. Also Antonio Banderas playing a spaniard!? what a novel idea!
Yeah it was an enjoyable ride. With some nice Unchartedesque set pieces, humour and a brill cameo. Plus Tom is a total babe. The sequel can only improve things and step it up to the next level.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding made me realize I just don't jive with Kojima anymore. MGS4 and 5 started the downward trend but I thought a fresh IP like DS would help. Who knew it'd turn out way worse.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Rumors of the Kojima-Xbox game also brought about (less reliable) tag-along rumors of Kojima and Sony's relationship worsening as a result of lackluster DS sales to the tune of 3 million unsold copies, etc etc.

You may not remember it now, but the fear, uncertainty and despair among the fanbase was palpable for a time.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017

Honestly, I think it's harder at the beginning because you don't have the great skills yet and you haven't gotten accustomed to the tighter parry and dodge windows yet. Keep at it and you'll get it.

And if you get truly stuck, there are good videos on YouTube to help you with the tougher fights.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

I tried one of those after I'd finished the game as it was the last trophy I needed for the Platinum. I got to the Wood Knight and that's where my quest for the Platinum came to an end - maybe go back in the future.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
I tried one of those after I'd finished the game as it was the last trophy I needed for the Platinum. I got to the Wood Knight and that's where my quest for the Platinum came to an end - maybe go back in the future.
He's probably the hardest fight on Master because of what I said above. If you can get past him, you can finish the difficulty. Just work on your parries.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Rumors of the Kojima-Xbox game also brought about (less reliable) tag-along rumors of Kojima and Sony's relationship worsening as a result of lackluster DS sales to the tune of 3 million unsold copies, etc etc.

You may not remember it now, but the fear, uncertainty and despair among the fanbase was palpable for a time.

This was just a bunch of nonsense. I wouldn't even call it "less reliable", it's just straight up bullshit.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

By "less reliable" you mean they just made it up.
Because someone that would have acess to that sort of data woudn't be posting that on this forum.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Honestly, I think it's harder at the beginning because you don't have the great skills yet and you haven't gotten accustomed to the tighter parry and dodge windows yet. Keep at it and you'll get it.

And if you get truly stuck, there are good videos on YouTube to help you with the tougher fights.

Yeah, for now I'll continue with it as I dont feel like starting Elden Ring today or in the next few days. I'll wait with that for the next weekend.

I'm now fighting against Corrupted Taro.

I think I'm making fast progress right now.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I don't understand how there are still people caping for this dude
MGS4 was just as bad too, I just didn't realize it back then
It's beyond me too. Every other developer would have gotten torn apart. But I guess it's fine because he has been making games for a long time?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
We've now got about 2 weeks before Sony's FY report and about 1 month before the new PS+ goes live in Asia. What's everyones prediction on the sort of things Sony may talk about before the FY report drops? More PS+ info? Acquisitions? PS Productions news? Mobile news? A games showcase/SOP? PSVR2 news? Something else?

There's a fair amount of potential topics they could choose to discuss, I'm quite curious to see what those topics may be. I'd imagine they'd wanna discuss at least a couple of initiatives to get tongues wagging before the FY report drops. More PS+ news seems highly likely given how close we are to the service launching. After that, pretty much anything could happen IMO.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
We've now got about 2 weeks before Sony's FY report and about 1 month before the new PS+ goes live in Asia. What's everyones prediction on the sort of things Sony may talk about before the FY report drops? More PS+ info? Acquisitions? PS Productions news? Mobile news? A games showcase/SOP? PSVR2 news? Something else?

There's a fair amount of potential topics they could choose to discuss, I'm quite curious to see what those topics may be. I'd imagine they'd wanna discuss at least a couple of initiatives to get tongues wagging before the FY report drops. More PS+ news seems highly likely given how close we are to the service launching. After that, pretty much anything could happen IMO.
I'm only expecting to hear about PS+ lineup.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Kojima garnered a lot of goodwill from the community because of the way he was publicly screwed over by Konami and used people like Geoff to build a long, highly-public sympathy train for him. And like I get it, Kojima did get very publicly fucked over by Konami, but what people often forget is that it happened because he constantly went over-budget and broke timelines, and the board simply had enough of supporting the level of excess that started to become part and parcel of his development process.

Mix in the fact that his first project after being fired by Konami was an extremely high-profile platform exclusive and you have this mix of well-meaning (but possibly ill-advised) sympathy, the Console Exclusive Effect, and Kojima's own extremely high opinion of himself that combine to make the weird hero-worship he gets nowadays.

But honestly the dude's been in decline for a while now - his obsession with Hollywood and film actors has gotten worse and worse, and he seems to care more about that kind of stuff nowadays than he does about telling an engaging story or making fun gameplay.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it was an enjoyable ride. With some nice Unchartedesque set pieces, humour and a brill cameo. Plus Tom is a total babe. The sequel can only improve things and step it up to the next level.
People on this forum equated the movie with Venom, or even worse, and while Venom is not bad it wasn't this good either, like wtf, I was expecting boredom, and shitty set pieces or something.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021

Only thing I would expect is more info on ps plus. Maybe we'll get more God of War news if we're very lucky.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
PS5 dev kit on the right side.

Screenshot_2022-04-24_at_11.33.06_am.png

The Era to article cycle continues.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
horizon looks so good at times that is almost unbelivable
Cant wait to see what they will do with a ps5 exclusive

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Many people simply like his storytelling and gameplay. I was never a huge fan of MGS. Story was too convoluted, the writing really cringe, but loved the gameplay of MGS5. But I have never understood the cult surrounding him. It reminds me a bit of the new-ish Miyazaki cult. It's just weird.
I actually enjoyed Death Stranding a lot. The gameplay is very novel and has interesting unique ideas, which were well realized. I really loved the vibe and relaxing nature. Most of the story is also pretty good, especially the world building (which Kojima is very good at and way more creative than most studios, that just mix together well known clichés) and most of the plot.
But everything surrounding dialogue or characters (especially their names) just doesn't work for me. I think, for me, it's the mix of Japanese quirkiness with serious western themes, culture and behaviours. I can enjoy both things separately, but it doesn't jell together in his games. And most of the dialogue is just awful. It leans too heavily into the anime style of storytelling, where every thought and emotion has to be explained with tons of exposition. It's a lot of "tell, not show". Works for anime, but not video games

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Oh, I see we are still beating a dead horse in here re: Remake art style because some people quite literally can't let it go?

Carry on then, I guess. I'm looking forward to that stupid GameFAQs image popping up again in due time.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back Sony had a SOP on the 9th May 2019 and revealed FFVII Remake and a full reveal at E3 in June.

Hopefully it will follow a similar route with FFXVI, but it would skupper my idea of the game being out in August or September.

A FFXVI and Ragnarok SoP would be a pure win.

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima helped create one of the best stealth action games of all and its influence is still held in high regard to this day.

Of course his name will command respect and people will be curious about what he's doing.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's understandable. People take away different things from these games, and I think that's what makes video games so fascinating to me, and largely what pushed me into a career in this industry! The interactive aspect of video games adds something to the experience that films and television aren't able to do.

As for Drake, it's been a while since I played UC3, but I definitely loved it, and enjoyed what they did with his arc in that game, but I also enjoyed what they did with his arc in 4. It didn't feel like a negation of that arc in 3, but a follow through of where that arc would take him a few more years down the line, after he had settled into the life it was implied he was embarking on with Elena at the end of 3.

I'm either case, the Uncharted series has been one of the most consistently excellent series of the past decade or so, so I'm always excited for more entries in the series.
I guess my issues are with the alteration of the origin of Drake. UC3 we are introduced to an orphan who essentially bought into his own con. He self assigned himself a legacy when otherwise he felt discarded and worthless. UC3 almost paints Nathan Drake as someone emotionally and mentally damaged because it feels that he legitimately believes the backstory that he has created for himself. Him rejecting that ring and letting the sands swallow it is him rejecting the faux narrative and wanting to continue forward as Nathan, and not necessarily Drake.

I never really needed to know what his real last name was, because it didn't matter. What mattered was the assimilation of this identity that wasn't his own that in the third game helps him finally realize his worth. It always felt like people who wanted to know his backstory missed the point of what the game was trying to say completely.

Fast forward to UC4 and from the start he knows he's not a Drake, Sam picks the last name, and the only reason they assume the moniker is because they're on the run from the law. It cheapens the psychology beyond what was represented in the 3rd game initially. From what few accounts that exist, it sounds like Hennig's game would have still had Sam, but he wouldn't have been a "Drake." In my opinion that contrast of the older brother telling the younger one to stop playing pretend is much more fascinating of a dynamic then what we ended up getting.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, saw this mentioned elsewhere. What do y'all think, could these be the same building? I'm assuming that's Team Asobi? The lighting fixtures appear to be the same style, but I don't know if that's a commonly used lighting configuration used in offices in Japan. The window blinds also seem similar, but that's also a pretty generic looking style. The carpet is too hard to judge on whether it may be the same or not. Does anyone else have pics from within Sony HQ to compare against Kojima's?

Asobi.jpg

Kojima.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.