• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Playstation just created Game Preservation team so hopefully it gets better

tg8Rxc.jpg

tg8ERK.jpg

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Seems to be too soon to show anything outside Guerrilla's second project and the Firewalk game. If Spider-Man 2 is well underway, it needs to be shown this year to make any showcase they present even heavier.

I wouldn't say that. They've a lot of studios and even Guerrilla could show Forbidden West dlc. I would say the likes of Naughty Dog, Team Asobi, Pixelopus, London Studio could all have something out before Spider-man 2. Along with whatever second party deals Sony has.

I just think it'd be pretty shocking if we had nothing major between God of War Ragnarok and Spider-man 2

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have come to realize that some ppl only read thread titles, twitter posts and dont actually read any linked articles or blog posts....

The blog post explicitly says for PS5 you can enable VRR for PS5 games that dont support it. Meaning its available for all PS5 games regardless.

With a picture of a system setting to turn it on and off, like the PS4 Boost Mode.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have come to realize that some ppl only read thread titles, twitter posts and dont actually read any linked articles or blog posts....

The blog post explicitly says for PS5 you can enable VRR for PS5 games that dont support it. Meaning its available for all PS5 games regardless.

With a picture of a system setting to turn it on and off, like the PS4 Boost Mode.
giphy.gif

/s

No but with how society is right now and how even ads and social media go for short videos I can see why.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when people thought that the PS5 would only be BC with 100 PS4 games?

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

I assume most people don't read or just skim through. Admittedly I skim through a lot of articles unless its something thats really caught my attention since most of my time on resetera comes while I'm at work. But I typically won't comment on the subject if I haven't read enough into it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Remember when people thought that the PS5 would only be BC with 100 PS4 games?
It was embarrassing how many outlets thought that was the case.

Stuff like that really turned me off listening to lots of gaming channels because it's their job to analyse and report this stuff and yet a nobody like me usually knows more of what's going on.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It was embarrassing how many outlets thought that was the case.

Stuff like that really turned me off listening to lots of gaming channels because it's their job to analyse and report this stuff and yet a nobody like me usually knows more of what's going on.

What's more frustrating is that it seems like reading comprehension just goes out the window when it comes to gaming related news.

I thought it was pretty clear what Sony meant about the PS5 backwards compatibility with PS4 games, but I felt like I was taking crazy pills seeing so many people in and out of the gaming industry and fandom just completely losing their shit over how the PS5 was "only" going to be compatible with 100 PS4 games!

At some point, I thought perhaps I was the one that was misreading thing, and reread the quotes from Cerny over and over again, and was just like, "Dude, it's clear as day what he means! gRAAAGH!" LOL

I sometimes think that people are in such a hurry to get their kneejerk reactions and hot takes in that they aren't actually bothering to just take a breath and process the information.

It seems similar with this VRR update news. Like, they seemed pretty clear about what the feature is adding to PS5 games, with some titles actually getting specific patches, while the rest are going to most likely take advantage of the system wide VRR, but here we are. Also, considering how few people even seem to really know what VRR is (no shade; I was also in that boat until I read various explanations of it online today), it feels like a feature that the vast majority of consumers won't even be able to utilize, and feels like a more "enthusiast" feature. I honestly don't even know if my TV supports it, although it does have HDMI 2.1, so maybe it does? Hell if I know, but that's kind of the point.

I'm happy for the gamers that have been requesting this feature for so long, but I'm scratching my head at how many seem to have just outright glossed over the part of the blog post that clarifies that it's a system wide feature, with some specific PS5 games getting additional work put into it via patches...

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like getting a $100 PlayStation Plus Premium subscription should allow you to play PlayStation 1-3 (and maybe PlayStation Portable?) discs as well. Sony probably won't do it, though.

I'd rather own a system that had the hardware to straight up play PS1-5 discs rather than pay an annual subscription fee for that ability.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

They really need their hand held and explicit instructions on this stuff instead of actually reading or understanding context makes me wonder how the hell they walk and chew at the same time every single time there is anything remotely technical announced on this system. It's down right bizarre down to complaining about stuff they never even said they were going to do.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
oh hell yes!

Hope this leads to PS3 emu
Going by Sony's job listing and that person's earlier work, it's more along the lines of keeping track of source code of current games. That's oversimplified, but it's not old games. It's never old games (unless it is, then it's a subscription service).

I feel like getting a $100 PlayStation Plus Premium subscription should allow you to play PlayStation 1-3 (and maybe PlayStation Portable?) discs as well. Sony probably won't do it, though.
It should, but Sony definitely won't do it, they've been strangely up front about not supporting discs. Best we can hope for is for them to make disc BC a selling point for a future Pro or Slim system.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Yup.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

wait

you're telling me not all PS4 games are backwards compatible on PS5?

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is, unfortunately, more an issue of the hardware than anything Sony specifically decided not to add after-the-fact; the PS5 disc drive literally does not have the laser hardware to read CDs or DVDs, as John from Digital Foundry has mentioned in the past. PS3 discs would still be feasible, though, I believe.

Oct 30, 2017
Give me disc based PS3 emulation, you cowards.
They definitely should offer that. But they should prioritize getting their subscription service filled with as many games as possible and also look to migrating the PS3 store into the PS5 store first if they have to prioritize.

The amount of people looking to play PS3 games on disc is only going to become less relevant over time.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wait

you're telling me not all PS4 games are backwards compatible on PS5?

Just the top 100 PS4 games are backwards compatible on the PS5. I think I glimpsed it in an article I skimmed. XP

I mean, I own about 500+ PS4 games, and when I download them and run them on my PS5, they actually work, but I'm pretty sure that's a bug...

In related news, just let me download a digital version of Folklore and play it on my PS5, Sony! Pretty please?

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just the top 100 PS4 games are backwards compatible on the PS5. I think I glimpsed it in an article I skimmed. XP
A common misconception that actually originated from a confusing blogpost. Sony later clarified on this,
These are the only games that don't work on PS5:
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
Source:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/games/ps5-backward-compatibility-games/

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Common misconseption. It actually originated from a confusing blogpost. Sony later clarified on this
These are the only games that don't work on PS5:
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
Source:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/games/ps5-backward-compatibility-games/
Add Dead Nation to the list. It runs but crashes after every level.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I had a good weekend, thanks! I got back from a short family holiday in Barcelona on Friday evening, and was able to get some time with Horizon FW on Saturday and Sunday, which was nice. Managed to do a few chores outside and make time for a board game with the wife and kids, so all good!

I hope that you're feeling better - look after yourself.

You're welcome, glad you had a good weekend! Sounds like a really fun trip. And thank you, I'll try.

I definitely needed it, that's for sure!

Hoping your recovery is going great, and that you're getting plenty of rest! And good luck with class this week!

I'm glad you got it. And thank you!

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I wonder if we could be seeing the new Marvel Legend™ El Muerto in Spider-Man 2.... Lmfao.
Piggybacking off of this to point out that the Spot would unironically be a great boss character in a Spider-Man game or a Marvel fighting game.

SVTU-3.jpg

bd8b4768bf4d0e519b7608981b689bed--man-vs-youre-beautiful.jpg

clean.jpg

But on the other topic. Why is Sony scraping the bottom of the barrell with El Muerto? I'm a big comic book geek and I don't even know who that is.

Sony has access to characters like:
  • The Prowler (there's your gritty vigilante hero right there)
  • Jessica Drew (underrated character)
  • Spider Gwen (they could even cast Emma Stone)
  • Gangland characters like Kingpin, Hammerhead, Tombstone, Silvermane, the Big Man (crime war movie?)
  • Black Cat (Marvel's Catwoman)
  • Silver Sable
  • Silk
  • Spider-Girl
  • Scarlet Spider
  • Firestar
  • Spider-Man 2099
  • Arana
There are so many better options than El Muerto lol

Last edited:

amara

Nov 23, 2021
The Uncharted movie was actually ok. I enjoyed it, though I really hope Playstation Productions takes a bigger role in the making of the sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.