• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
Very unlikely. CDProjeckt and Sony have no relationship whatsoever. Sony also publicly humiliated CDProjeckt when they pulled Cyberpunk from the PS Store. And CDProjeckt is a largely PC-centric developer.
This is one of the case where a Microsoft purchase would make much more sense.
Sony is hiring and focusing its efforts now more than ever on the PC, in addition to Playstation.
About Sony humiliating CD Projekt... Well, on that topic I can disagree.
I guess they decided to pull it because when it was released it didn't meet the quality standard to be on the PS Store and there was a lot of discussion about that.

Adum

May 30, 2019
So what's the latest on The Last of Us Part II multiplayer? It's been 2 solid years since the game initially released. I'm really curious why they're taking so long with it. Did they start the multiplayer portion from scratch when the original game released? The only other reason I can think of them not having it released yet is to join the marketing for the TV series.

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
So what's the latest on The Last of Us Part II multiplayer? It's been 2 solid years since the game initially released. I'm really curious why they're taking so long with it. Did they start the multiplayer portion from scratch when the original game released? The only other reason I can think of them not having it released yet is to join the marketing for the TV series.
It's a full-on GaaS game, which Naughty Dog has never done before and which resulted in them having to hire plenty of new people. We'll likely get it early next year at the latest.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So are they fucked on production until 2024?
As far as being able to get one off shelves in stores, probably.

As far as being the same or worse than the past few months, probably not. Again, the rest of the year will be interesting. Starting with April NPD results. But even during the past few months dry spell, Sony sent a good amount to Japan.

Recent UK stock info has been a good sign too.

InResolute

Banned
Jan 21, 2022
Do you think Sony would acquire CD Projekt? I think it could be a target Sony would go after, like Bungie. Just like I think Square could be acquired soon after the recent rumors.

CDP's market cap is roughly $12B in USD. I do believe a Sony acquisition would require paying a premium on top of this for "goodwill" (an actual Financial asset, not just for the sake of being nice).

Let's say it ends up in the range of $16B. Would Sony be willing to pay $16B?

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Ahead of potential acquisitions you have to take in to consideration that company's sad dad/sad mother compability.

Aug 14, 2020
Do you think Sony would acquire CD Projekt? I think it could be a target Sony would go after, like Bungie. Just like I think Square could be acquired soon after the recent rumors.

Isn't that a terrible choice for acquisition anyway? Forgive me if I'm wrong but hasn't CDPR bled a lot of their top talent over the last 5+ years? It also remains to be seen whether they can swing back from the Cyberpunk fiasco or whether that was just a sign of things to come. So you're basically spending however many millions/billions on a studio that won't release a game for 4-5 years, and even then it's at-risk of not delivering

I'm also not very knowledgeable on IP rights. Just because Sony bought CDPR, they wouldn't automatically then have the rights to Witcher as well would they?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Bamco is struggling with their Tales Mobile games. Shows how hard it is to maintain a mobile title. Much like ForwardWorks with those Wild Arms and Arc the Lad mobile games.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a terrible choice for acquisition anyway? Forgive me if I'm wrong but hasn't CDPR bled a lot of their top talent over the last 5+ years? It also remains to be seen whether they can swing back from the Cyberpunk fiasco or whether that was just a sign of things to come. So you're basically spending however many millions/billions on a studio that won't release a game for 4-5 years, and even then it's at-risk of not delivering

I'm also not very knowledgeable on IP rights. Just because Sony bought CDPR, they wouldn't automatically then have the rights to Witcher as well would they?

Depends on how you look at it. Cyberpunk still sold 18 million copies to date and that will only rise with DLC's. It stil regularly appears in the Steam top ten. Quality-wise you can debate. I would take Cyberpunk over TW3, but that's me.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the tree requirement.

Hmm that's very true. How is Square Enix's tree quality? I can't think of any...

Regarding dad's and mom's. Well Barret in FF7 Part 2(most likely) will have that covered and maybe Sora's mother from KH1 will finally show up again. Sounds like it could work then.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Does FF16 man count as a sad dad or sad bro? Because if he's the latter then I guess Sony should buy Square to diversify its portfolio and tap into the sad bro market.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
CDP's market cap is roughly $12B in USD. I do believe a Sony acquisition would require paying a premium on top of this for "goodwill" (an actual Financial asset, not just for the sake of being nice).

Let's say it ends up in the range of $16B. Would Sony be willing to pay $16B?
CD Projekt's market capitalization is much lower today.
finance.yahoo.com

CD Projekt S.A. (OTGLF) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

Find the latest CD Projekt S.A. (OTGLF) stock quote, history, news and other vital information to help you with your stock trading and investing.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of public companies, Square Enix and Remedy would be far better targets that SIE would likely go after than CD Projekt.

I don't think CD Projekt's stockholders would even agree to sell anyways with how low their value is, unless SIE massively overpays.

It's been nearly 3 years and it has since become it's own standalone MP Action game with an expanding MP team at Naughty Dog.

My guess is that it's evolved into a Destiny/The Division GaaS game with PVP & PVE. Or it could simply be a F2P Battle Royale. Or maybe Both.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
New official bundle that no one will see in stock to ever buy.

121171_ps5hw48.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
At least now that Sony's forecast thing is done (is it?), we can let S-E acquisition talks rest for a while.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Raiden is a dad and he is sad (when not ripping) too. So many games for Sony to invest in.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
When you're talking about money relationship doesn't mean shit
Sony can definitely target CDPR if there is a great potentiel for growth.

Heck MS did Obsidian dirty back in the past..

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
At least now that Sony's forecast thing is done (is it?), we can let S-E acquisition talks rest for a while.

but what if in a move to shock the world, Square announces that they are being acquired by Sony at their earnings call instead?

BOOM.

/s if it wasn't clear

Aug 14, 2020
Depends on how you look at it. Cyberpunk still sold 18 million copies to date and that will only rise with DLC's. It stil regularly appears in the Steam top ten. Quality-wise you can debate. I would take Cyberpunk over TW3, but that's me.

I guess, I just don't see them as a great purchase considering their recent problems + their gaming output is relatively slow.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked CP2077 but I went in expecting Deus Ex with a car and got exactly that. I also played it on PS5 with the trillion patches it got...and still had a few bugs lol.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't too surprising, but it seems that people can rest easy now about a certain scene appearing in the TV show

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting some pretty big PS5 stock drops this year. April saw some restocks here in the states and in other countries.

I expect big drops this Summer and no doubt they are preparing for fall

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Just played Horizon FW. I'm kinda blown away by the graphics. And I think what really impresses me is the characters. They just look like real people instead of "videogame"- looking characters. It's probably the faces, it's almost like they scanned thousands of real people or something. They have this "I've seen this dude IRL" vibe lol. And what sells it even more is the animations. They are sooo high quality for an open world game. So good.
What strikes me the most are the hands. They are so well made. Fingers, exterior and interiors of the hand, general movement.
It was the cherry on top of everything you said.

Incredible characters besides the problem of not using "black hair" on every black characters.
My OLED has ruined me. The picture quality, especially the blacks, are so good that the cinema legit looks crap now because it has worse contrast and grey blacks. They're amazing.
Yep, its wild.
I saw Batman and Dune first at cinema and later at my CX.
My CX was a superior experience, visually speaking.
Now I need a surround system and I guess cinema is over for me.
This is me !!!
Cinema is only worth for audio (and I must say I am glad I watched Dune in cinema, such an audio experience).
Batman ? I almost had to watch in pitch black room to appreciate it on my OLED with HDR. It must have been a sub par experience in cinema.
Upgrading my B8 to a C1 today! It feels insane upgrading my B8 now but whatever. I am feeling insane due to our election results. Might as well cope with gaming.
I have a B6 and haven't jump... I was close this year with really good offers on C1 but I always struggled replacing something that still works.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the replay of the webcast is up now so im trying to make some corrections to my previous posts:

Bungie's acquisition is assumed to close in the 3rd quarter, ending in December of this year (surprised it would take them up to nearly a year to acquire one studio to be honest).

In addition investment in their owned First Party studios for the creation of game software is increased by 40 Billion Yen (around 300 Million dollars) year on year. It is not clear if the funding Bungie gets after the acquisition completes between October and December is factored into this number, or into "expenses related to acquisitions such as Bungie".

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Does someone have the slide the with the 40 billion yen investment to make?
investment in owned first party studios? It is at around 6 minutes into the webcast.

Thinking about it, thats a big number. Big AAA games cost around $100M to develop, and take 4 to 5 years to make at that. Thats very napkin math, but this is potentially a lot more money to expand their studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.