• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 PS3 is on sale in europe. First PS3 game to be discounted in over 2 years, if we exclude cross buy games. It's so weird

Jul 2, 2021
Trophies on PS1 games??? 🤯
Remember last year?
www.resetera.com

Sony register new patent for awarding trophies via emulated games News

A computer-implemented method assigns one or more trophies to a user. A game is emulated in response to a request from a client device. A trophy trigger is detected during emulation of the game by comparing a memory value of the emulated game to a predetermined value and assigning the one or...
mp1st.com

Sony Patents Awarding Trophies via Emulation for Older Games

Sony has filed a new patent where PlayStation Trophies will be awarded for older games running on emulation software.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Curious to know how long the process is to add trophies and if it's simply adding checkpoints in the emulator than messing with any of the game's code.
If it's based on their patent no game code is touched. It's just a layer over the emulation that monitors memory values and if a memory value changes it awards a trophy. So would be way less work and not just determining what points to map to the memory.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Remember last year?
www.resetera.com

Sony register new patent for awarding trophies via emulated games News

A computer-implemented method assigns one or more trophies to a user. A game is emulated in response to a request from a client device. A trophy trigger is detected during emulation of the game by comparing a memory value of the emulated game to a predetermined value and assigning the one or...
mp1st.com

Sony Patents Awarding Trophies via Emulation for Older Games

Sony has filed a new patent where PlayStation Trophies will be awarded for older games running on emulation software.

That's the same patent they used for all the PS2 to PS4 games back in 2016. That patent isn't new at all

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I really like Ghostwire despite some of its issues. I even got the platinum! It's just doing it's own thing and I really dig that a lot. Tango is such a great studio. I got a Series S just so that I can play their games, and Arkane in the future😅 They were 100% the biggest loss for me as a predominately PS user. But yeah, hope you enjoy it further. It does kind of feel like Nocturne or even a bit of Shadow Hearts. That modern urban setting mixed with supernatural elements; it's yum!!

It's funny, I own both The Evil Within 1 and 2, and have yet to play either lol. I swear I'll get to it one day!

But yeah, I really appreciate that Ghostwire seems to just be doing what it's doing, and not trying to follow any particular trends or expectations.

I will always have a soft spot for games that harken back to that more "old school" kind of game design, but marrying it with modern tech and production pipelines (like Kena, or Biomutant). They don't have to look, play, or compete with the "big dogs," but kind of exist in their own lane, with a passionate team who really love the world they have created.

I hope it's not mandated, i dont care about trophies

Same. I seriously hope it's not mandated.

I know a lot of people love Trophies, but for me, personally, I don't give a shit about them, and if mandated trophies mean a smaller roll out of Classic games, I'll yeet trophies into the sun.

I just want to be able to revisit a large library of some of my favorite games.

Fortunately, it seems like that patent Sony filed a while back may make any concerns about adding trophies to retro games moot. Fingers crossed that trophies aren't mandated, and that the classics library is significantly larger as a result!

I loved Ghostwire! My second favorite game this year after Elden Ring. A shame it falls into that same trap you described about tiny text haha

Lol! It really does fall into that trap, and I was like, "God damn it!" when I started playing it the other day. lol

I've been using the zoom in function quite a bit in that one, sadly. :(

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
That's the same patent they used for all the PS2 to PS4 games back in 2016. That patent isn't new at all
Iirc, the patent is very old but wasn't used for those PS2 games because it made for less interesting trophies. There was an interview with the emulator devs a while back that I can't find anymore that I thought went into that.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
For all those who didn't like the story in HFW as much as HD I have to say I disagree. While HZD had the better mystery and lore in discovering what happened to the world previously, for me the HFW was so much better once the second half of the game just basically goes full on Sci-Fi. I absolutely loved it for that, and the only thing that disappointed me at the very end was when you learn what the ultimate threat is that will be part of game 3. However, there is a part of me that believes that won't actually be the threat, since what happens in HFW you are led to believe in HZD isn't what will happen and ended up being essentially a red herring.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think the fact that they're spotlighting the trophies for a specific game might mean they aren't mandated, otherwise I think it would have been mentioned in the blog post instead.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Playable Trainstation.

Clear FPS skybox.

Plant store.

FTI-hjpaIAAQHDF

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New PS+ tiers launching in less than a month
PSVR2 still aiming for 2022
GoW Ragnarok visibly on track for 2022
Possible TLOU remake and Factions by the end of the year
Forspoken by end of year
FFXVI moving along well...

Surely we should soon get some kind of event right?

And by soon I mean before September.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
If god of war and TLoU remake are hitting this year then you can't but appreciate how far the PS studios have come in terms of their output. Even with pandemic, the initial years are looking way better than that of PS4. Can't wait to see the future lineup of these studios.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
For all those who didn't like the story in HFW as much as HD I have to say I disagree. While HZD had the better mystery and lore in discovering what happened to the world previously, for me the HFW was so much better once the second half of the game just basically goes full on Sci-Fi. I absolutely loved it for that, and the only thing that disappointed me at the very end was when you learn what the ultimate threat is that will be part of game 3. However, there is a part of me that believes that won't actually be the threat, since what happens in HFW you are led to believe in HZD isn't what will happen and ended up being essentially a red herring.

I agree 100%. Horizon ZD was cute but everything about Forbidden West amplified the world and the story for me times ten. It's rare that I want to find every single thing in a game and forbidden west is truly about to be the first game I platinum.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm just happy that I can play Original Demons Souls again with the new PS plus.

My PS3 got destroyed a couple of years ago, I miss it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
By the time Sony has their next quarterly report the new PS+ will have launched in all regions. Sony always gives us PS+ total subscription numbers but how do you think they'll handle it with the new PS+? Total numbers only as usual, or will we get a breakdown of each tier?

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
By the time Sony has their next quarterly report the new PS+ will have launched in all regions. Sony always gives us PS+ total subscription numbers but how do you think they'll handle it with the new PS+? Total numbers only as usual, or will we get a breakdown of each tier?

I expect total numbers although I dont expect much growth, I think Sony has hit a ceiling in terms of subscriptions of around 50% of the MAU give or take a few million users/subscribers.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
Ensuring that our game features diverse, authentic and compelling characters, locations and events.
Development of an intriguing backstory and world lore which sets up years of ongoing story.
Providing Narrative briefs for other teams before they build content to feature in storylines or campaign missions.
Character bios which both inspire and support our Gameplay and Art teams to build rich, narratively exciting characters.
Creation of an initial campaign to introduce the world and characters, then ongoing campaign to develop the narrative and introduce new content.
Objectives and Story beats for side quests and missions.
Design and implementation of the narrative delivery systems such as Quest-Setter interactions, Character reactions, Collectable info, combat narrative etc.
A passion for both making and playing magic-based games where great gameplay is supported with fascinating fantasy world building.

Status
Not open for further replies.