• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like FF7R is no longer listed in the PlayStation Console Exclusives section of the store. Was there a few weeks ago.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like FF7R is no longer listed in the PlayStation Console Exclusives section of the store. Was there a few weeks ago.
I am pretty sure this has happened before already. I have no idea what is going on with FF7R at this point on Xbox and I have to guess it needs to be on Game Pass considering how much time has passed. Launching it at full price won't lead to pretty results.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I was one of those people who got Horizon at launch, played it a decent bit and then shelved it for Elden Ring (in part due to playing that with my friend in coop and needing to keep pace) and then after I was done with that sort of got into a cycle of being busy with stuff and so pushed it further out.

But finally in the past day or so I've gotten back into Horizon: FW and doubled my playtime. I'm really enjoying the story, the side quests, the sights, the combat, the platforming is still a bit janky but it's w/e, and I even had to stop myself from playing more cause I needed to do other things.

However afterward... and maybe others have felt this way about other games before. I started to second guess if I actually enjoyed it or if I was just trying to justify the money I spent. After all there were droves of people who said it was disappointing, mediocre or just straight up bad. And I guess that has gotten to me after reading so much of that. I really start to wonder if I really am just trying to justify my purchase or if I really am enjoying it.

This isn't the first game I've felt like this before and I pretty sure I'm not trying to justify anything, but I can't lie that the discourse surrounding a game can really affect my own thoughts on it.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder how long the Bungie deal will take to close.
They said it would close in Q3 (October - December).

Also, still pondering the topic of Sony looking to acquire Square. There was certainly a fair bit of smoke there for a while with Grubb, Miller and Square selling off studios and IP that Sony hasn't shown any interest in. If talks are underway it could take months before anything happens, of course.

I doubt it is happening, to be honest.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, we still don't have the japanese launch line up for PS Plus? It's already past 10 pm over there.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
So I was one of those people who got Horizon at launch, played it a decent bit and then shelved it for Elden Ring (in part due to playing that with my friend in coop and needing to keep pace) and then after I was done with that sort of got into a cycle of being busy with stuff and so pushed it further out.

But finally in the past day or so I've gotten back into Horizon: FW and doubled my playtime. I'm really enjoying the story, the side quests, the sights, the combat, the platforming is still a bit janky but it's w/e, and I even had to stop myself from playing more cause I needed to do other things.

However afterward... and maybe others have felt this way about other games before. I started to second guess if I actually enjoyed it or if I was just trying to justify the money I spent. After all there were droves of people who said it was disappointing, mediocre or just straight up bad. And I guess that has gotten to me after reading so much of that. I really start to wonder if I really am just trying to justify my purchase or if I really am enjoying it.

This isn't the first game I've felt like this before and I pretty sure I'm not trying to justify anything, but I can't lie that the discourse surrounding a game can really affect my own thoughts on it.

Was actually thinking of making a thread about this the other day. When FF7R came out I stayed off the internet for about 3 weeks. I didn't speak to a single person about the game. Didn't tweet about, nothing. First game I did that since probably a child where I didn't have access to the internet. Played it completely alone and never read any opinions about it. It was magical. So much so that when I was done and read other people's experiences, I was shocked that quite a few fans found the story to be divisive and here I was coming off a major high.

I don't think we realize how much online discourse can affect our own enjoyment. It's always there, in the back of our minds. Don't know if you're just trying to justify your purchase, but even if you are, it's still valid.

Oct 27, 2017

It happens to a degree with me as well. Not in a sense that people saying a game is bad will make me think it's bad but often people will point at the flaws that either I wouldn't had noticed or maybe not even bothered me. That's why I avoid reading impressions and reviews for games I'm hyped about and I just stay tuned for major issues like bugs. For some reason this doesn't seem to affect me with games that I have no expectation or hype. Weird thing.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we realize how much online discourse can affect our own enjoyment. It's always there, in the back of our minds. Don't know if you're just trying to justify your purchase, but even if you are, it's still valid.
Growing up playing a bunch of obscure, 6-or-7 out of 10 JRPGs and the like definitely helped me get over this, haha. It was always so rare that anyone in a position of influence would talk positively about games I played that I stopped caring. Luckily it has stuck, and now that more games that I play are actually covered by people, even if most people don't like it, but I do, it's ok :)

It's really crazy the power of FOMO and justification though. And it's deeply ingrained in media!

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
The new PS Plus should launch in Japan in a few hours right? We'll see how different the list of games is compared to the rest of Asia

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up playing a bunch of obscure, 6-or-7 out of 10 JRPGs and the like definitely helped me get over this, haha. It was always so rare that anyone in a position of influence would talk positively about games I played that I stopped caring. Luckily it has stuck, and now that more games that I play are actually covered by people, even if most people don't like it, but I do, it's ok :)

It's really crazy the power of FOMO and justification though. And it's deeply ingrained in media!

Lol yup, whenever I read up on old games I loved and I see people's opinions about it, it makes me glad I experienced them in isolation. It's so funny you bring up JRPGs though because they were always heavily criticized for so many things. Story, writing, eventually voice work but at the end of the day I was having the best time playing them. I think it's really great to talk to people about games, read reviews etc but sometimes I guess we also have to draw a line in the sand when it starts affecting our own enjoyment.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we're going to get anything from the blog until after the SoP, then it's going to be full of updates. Hopefully, some news about PSVR2 with a launch date and price.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
On a train to visit my family for the jubilee weekend.

Going to watch the SoP tomorrow, watch episode 3 of Kenobi, enjoy some quality time with family and be home with 60fps for AC Origins, Summer Game Fest, Lego Optimus Prime and The Quarry to look forward to.

Good stuff.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017

I was in the same situation, played Horizon:FW for 10 hours then ER came and i just forgot about it for a while. When I returned i felt that I wasn't having fun (mainly because I forgot how to play) but after a couple of side quests and going through the loop a couple of times i was addicted and remembered why i loved the first Horizon so much.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Was actually thinking of making a thread about this the other day. When FF7R came out I stayed off the internet for about 3 weeks. I didn't speak to a single person about the game. Didn't tweet about, nothing. First game I did that since probably a child where I didn't have access to the internet. Played it completely alone and never read any opinions about it. It was magical. So much so that when I was done and read other people's experiences, I was shocked that quite a few fans found the story to be divisive and here I was coming off a major high.

Your last paragraph is the summation of the active work of "peer pressure" we thought we left behind in grade school. I used to think of it as directed pressure from known associates that alters your choices and perceptions, but now know that peer pressure is more indirect, especially for us internet-crawlers.

That "All/Most/Some of my fellow PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo fans think this thing is great/sucks, so I've go to as well" pressure that is inevitably pulls us closer to a false consensus than we'd like to admit.

I noticed it in the discussions of TV shows/Movies the past few years. Once I stopped reading other people's opinions before I had experienced the content for myself, I found that I could formulate my own opinion first without outside influence. It's a hard thing to do now, with how much of our entertainment experiences are tied to the online culture machine, but it is very rewarding to move back to these simpler ways of experience.

I noticed that now that I've stopped reading game reviews/participating in hype cycles (beyond a quick glance at DF topics to see if the game is technically broken), my experiences are more genuine, if that makes sense. So when I do interact with others once I'm finished experiencing the game, I'm better able to explain my thoughts and feelings without remembering what XxDemonSlayer420xX said about the scripting of the boss on level 3.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Your last paragraph is the summation of the active work of "peer pressure" we thought we left behind in grade school. I used to think of it as directed pressure from known associates that alters your choices and perceptions, but now know that peer pressure is more indirect, especially for us internet-crawlers.

That "All/Most/Some of my fellow PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo fans think this thing is great/sucks, so I've go to as well" pressure that is inevitably pulls us closer to a false consensus than we'd like to admit.

I noticed it in the discussions of TV shows/Movies the past few years. Once I stopped reading other people's opinions before I had experienced the content for myself, I found that I could formulate my own opinion first without outside influence. It's a hard thing to do now, with how much of our entertainment experiences are tied to the online culture machine, but it is very rewarding to move back to these simpler ways of experience.

I noticed that now that I've stopped reading game reviews/participating in hype cycles (beyond a quick glance at DF topics to see if the game is technically broken), my experiences are more genuine, if that makes sense. So when I do interact with others once I'm finished experiencing the game, I'm better able to explain my thoughts and feelings without remembering what XxDemonSlayer420xX said about the scripting of the boss on level 3.
Agreed. I noticed I don't really talk about games or TV/movies with fandoms, largely because it kinda just bums me out. It's nice being apart of the hype with reveals and such, but I just enjoy my hobbies better when I put my head in the sand. Comicbook movie talk over on the EtcetEra side is particularly bad to be apart of because it's largely dominated by arthouse enthusiasts. Though with all that said, I love taking part of the tech discission.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Don't let this forum gaslight you into thinking it's a bad game. The userbase here is just extremely toxic, in deep with console wars, and has a burning hatred for Horizon in particular. There's also a large contingent of Souls fans online who've seemingly taken it upon themselves to constantly shit on the game. It's fucking weird and off-putting.

By any objective measure, Forbidden West is on the same tier as The Witcher 3 among that style of open world game. In many ways, I'd argue it's much better (also came out years later, so it shouldn't be surprising, but combat in particular is much better in Horizon imo).

Much of this board still lauds The Witcher 3 as one of the pinnacles of open world games while utterly shitting on Horizon any chance they get, and it's complete bullshit. I get preferring one over the other (they're two of my favorite games), but the extreme disparity in how they are regarded on this forum is just fucking crazy, given the similarities in structure, design, and quality of execution.

So if you've enjoyed open world games of this style in the past, you should absolutely expect to enjoy Horizon because it's one of the best of its kind. Just try to ignore the discourse as much as possible (easier said than done, I know).

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
I think SoP will end with something like more to come from Playstation this summer and we'll get another event in September

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Gosh, I relate to that so much. I do understand what you mean when you say your experiences are more genuine as they're faithful to your own viewpoint, your own opinion and self, and nothing is more truthful than that. The reason why I broke away from the internet with FF7R came out is because I so clearly remember being absolutely absorbed in the online discussions around FFXV. While I was still playing the game I kept seeing comments about how people hated chapter 13. As I got ever so closer to it I kept on feeling like oh, the shit chapter is coming up, I'm gonna hate it. When I got there I thought "Ah, I get it now!"...but looking back, I really didn't. As someone who loves horror and moody atmospheres I honestly really liked the overall tone of the chapter, so, why did I even consider someone else's experience over mine and that's why I said F the noise when FF7R comes out.

It's a fine line to walk. Interacting with people and connecting over games is truly great but it's so easy to get lost in that. With how integrated the internet has become in our lives, it's something I constantly have to remind myself about. While I don't always like shutting out the world...I can't lie and say it's not truly, and utterly magical to experience a game/movie/book etc without a single bit of outside influence.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
FFVII demo.

FULGyk0XEAQE_Wy

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I am pretty sure this has happened before already. I have no idea what is going on with FF7R at this point on Xbox and I have to guess it needs to be on Game Pass considering how much time has passed. Launching it at full price won't lead to pretty results.

Square Enix simply wants to get paid lol

First Sony two times, Epic Games Store and now they are waiting for Phil to call for a Game Pass deal.

We will see in 11 days.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
On the other hand if Sony is buying a publisher, it is going to be SE. The only plausible option looking at history together and the fact that Sony loves FF IP and FFXIV being one of the best ongoing live games currently.
I've always said this. If they do buy a publisher, Square would always make the most sense. History with Sony, strong IPs with cross media potential, successful live service game, etc...

That said, I don't put much on the word of Greg and Grubb when it comes to this. They know their stuff but I don't think they'd be clued in on acquisition news. Won't know for months from now anyway, at least after the Bungie purchase goes through

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I think SoP will end with something like more to come from Playstation this summer and we'll get another event in September
A good bet, I reckon.

Square Enix simply wants to get paid lol

First Sony two times, Epic Games Store and now they are waiting for Phil to call for a Game Pass deal.

We will see in 11 days.
Question is, are Sony willing to pay more to make sure Microsoft continue to not get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.