• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I have...

• A PlayStation and no PlayStation Plus

Votes: 209 13.9%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Essential

Votes: 308 20.4%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Extra

Votes: 313 20.8%
  • A PlayStation with PlayStation Plus Premium

Votes: 532 35.3%
  • No PlayStation: The Dark World

Votes: 145 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If it happens this week, then I will question why wasn't FF7R at the showcase.

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022
People are already believing in a second Showcase this year

Team Second Showcase 2023!
I totally believe Tom when he is saying that there is trailer that he has seen that wasn't shown with how accurate he is, but I don't think it necessarily mean a second showcase we saw glimpse of helldiver 2 trailer last year and only get the official reveal this year, the trailers he saw can be saved for latter.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Marketing is marketing. In the grand scheme of things it won't matter one bit which Showcase it's shown at, it'll still have the same overall effect towards sales of the game.

Could be Square wanted to split it up between 2 events. Could be Sony did too. Could be Sony originally had planned for more content at the PS Showcase (ie. Deviations game, TLOU MP...) that got pulled, and they had already committed FF7 Rebirth to the SGF event. We can speculate on the multiple ways things may have played out, at the end of the day marketing is marketing and what matters most to them are sales of the game and it won't matter which event it shows up at, so long as it shows up.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I totally believe Tom when he is saying that there is trailer that he has seen that wasn't shown with how accurate he is, but I don't think it necessarily mean a second showcase we saw glimpse of helldiver 2 trailer last year and only get the official reveal this year, the trailers he saw can be saved for latter.

Well the Helldivers 2 trailer was no doubt created for the 2022 PlayStation Showcase that got cancelled, as Grubb reported, since some games weren't ready. Once that Showcase was cancelled Sony decided to host 2 very beefy State of Plays with the remaining content they had lined up in June and September, and the Helldivers 2 trailer was just moved to the 2023 Showcase.

I still think a second Showcase will happen, regardless of what Tom or any other insiders may say. It could be the trailer(s) he's seen will show up at SGF, we'll see in a few days.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I am ready for the amount of artistry on display in Across The Spider-Verse.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Spidey will be Sony's pillar. I know it's not for everyone but give me all the Spidey games and movies.

Oct 26, 2017
Across the Spider-Verse got me so hyped I picked up the Remaster today and starting a NG+ play through, this should hold me over till FF16.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I'd honestly be kinda surprised if Marvel's Spiderman 2 doesn't perform similarly to TotK's 3-day sales, the hype is sooooooo real at this point especially after the phenomenal Across the Spider-Verse.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'd honestly be kinda surprised if Marvel's Spiderman 2 doesn't perform similarly to TotK's 3-day sales, the hype is sooooooo real at this point especially after the phenomenal Across the Spider-Verse.
10 million in three days might be too high for not a Zelda game, in my opinion.

But hey, I definitely don't mind if that would happen.

+ we also might see them PR bragging again a week later after launch & don't have to wait for two weeks for a 5 days sales PR or waiting for studio's 20th anniversary.

hehe-hehehe.gif

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020

That's not a realistic expectation due to Spidey 2 being PS5 exclusive, a platform which has a far lower install base than the Switch. If it was cross-gen on the other hand...

It should have great legs (heh) though as people will continue picking up PS5s and ofc Spider-Man 2 with it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see that happening. By the time Spider-Man 2 launches, the PS5 will have ~1/3rd of the install base that the Switch has now. The game will break Sony records and I wouldn't be surprised if over the long term this game outsells TotK, but I don't see the game selling 10+m in the first three days.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard for that to happen without the massive sales that Nintendo has in Japan.
GoWR sold almost as good as Pokémon S/V WW 5m vs 5.9m, but when you include Japan? Pokémon almost doubled GoWR number 10m vs 5.1m.
For Spider-Man 2, to be able to compete with Zelda in sales, it has to make up for the 2.4 million copies sold in Japan around the world.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It really doesn't. What you're describing is what I call the "Era/Gaming bubble effect". No one cares about a bad showcase after a few months. Only people on forums like this one do. And Gaming bubbles represent 5% (at best) of any platform's customer base.
The only way bad showcases would have a bigger effect is if that happened for years without anything else to talk about. But that doesn't really happen to any platform or publisher.

Showcases are vastly overrated, imo. Not in terms of entertainment value, but actually impacting the market.
What really matters is the quality of the games you release.
Sony's 2015/16 showcases would not be remembered nearly as fondly if the games didn't deliver. Showcases are hype machines for hardcore fans and the pundits to talk about afterwards.
Another often ignored aspect of any showcase are marketing obligations to publishers and studios that have to be respected. It's only a tool to promote a platform, but also to be responsible in business

Yeah, if you go back and look at showcases both great and small, the only ones that really change things from a sales perspective are the system reveals when the companies announce the prices and the launch games and show off the new technology. Those are the crucial ones.

The other ones are great for hype and all that but once the momentum is going it's kind of hard to either stop or jumpstart it, depending on which way it's going. Certainly introducing hardware revisions during showcases has helped jumpstart sales in the past, but the showcases themselves aren't necessary for that. Just announcing a price cut at any random time may have the same effect.

Customers tend to focus more on products coming out soon than those coming out in the future. It's why consoles sell such big numbers at a big game's release, even older systems like the Switch with TOTK. Granted, those showcases can help build up hype for those releases in the future (which is likely this showcase's one big success in that SM2 was very well received), but a lackluster showcase by itself isn't going to affect much either way.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't. I think GoW Ragnarok's sales are a closer model, though I'm sure it'll beat that.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Haven will become a multiproject studio. Montreal is such a big development hub, that I think it would be smart for Haven to expand into one.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I wonder if Haven will become a multiproject studio. Montreal is such a big development hub, that I think it would be smart for Haven to expand into one.

It is smart of Sony to have studios in all the big hubs, means they can easily scoop up talent when studios churn or fall. They can just expand their studios rather than having to buy new ones - which has a number of benefits like being cheaper, better support within the studio etc.

Haven can quite easily expand and become a multi-project developer, I imagine that is likely the plan.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
That would indeed be weird, at that point PlayStation should question the person who is co-ordinating these trailers for showcases. We need more people like Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi who understood the PlayStation hardcore audience.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
That would indeed be weird, at that point PlayStation should question the person who is co-ordinating these trailers for showcases. We need more people like Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi who understood the PlayStation hardcore audience.
PS is strong as it even been and more popular then ever maybe just maybe they know what they are doing.

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're actually gonna use SGF to announced Final Fantasy Advent Children Remake as a live action film in partnership between SE and PS Productions. It'll be 2hrs of live action Tifa repeating dilly dally shilly shally. Coming this Winter.

Please be excited

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They're actually gonna use SGF to announced Final Fantasy Advent Children Remake as a live action film in partnership between SE and PS Productions. It'll be 2hrs of live action Tifa repeating dilly dally shilly shally. Coming this Winter.

Please be excited
I hate Advent Children... but Geoff being forced to watch that live would be pretty fun 👹

Status
Not open for further replies.