• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The path from the PlayStation 1 to the upcoming PlayStation 5 lines up neatly, but only if you're looking at it numerically. In actuality, for more than 25 years the PlayStation team has had to navigate some of the industry's most difficult terrain. During that time, a dedicated team of visionaries, engineers, and software developers established a brand from scratch, propelled it to unprecedented heights, struggled to maintain dominance, and eventually returned to what initially made them so successful.

In the following story, we'll hear some of the stories behind PlayStation from the people who were there when it all happened.

Oct 25, 2017
The dream (or nightmare) is dead.

unknown.png

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
What a ride it has been.

Also Naughty Dog is streaming Jack and Daxter now, while talking about some of their past experiences/stories.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
sonycover.jpg

this cover is incredible

just read the piece. website is beautiful and easy to read. very insightful commentary by several people from the industry.

props to gameinformer

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm not throwing dirt on the PS Vita, it reminds me of SEGA's "Game Gear" and I just think it lacked games and it also had to contend with the GOAT 3DS.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Bit disappointing that PS haven't done something themselves. Some type of retrospective from themselves would have been a great watch...

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone is still so scared about Ken. They only speak greatly about him ahahahah.

ITO: There was a strong order and demand coming from Mr. Kutaragi to reduce the cost. However, the PS3 incorporated a wide range of the most advanced technology, which means that it was not easy to reduce the cost. Whenever we tried to do something about it, everything was very, very tough. One experience I recall vividly is because we were told to reduce the cost constantly, and repeatedly, I decided to come up with intentionally a very cheap looking and cheap prototype satisfying the cost aspect and showed the prototype to Mr. Kutaragi. As soon as Mr. Kutaragi saw it, he threw that on the floor and broke it into pieces. I was surprised, but then I realized that what Mr. Kutaragi tried to stress is that even though it may be difficult, we should never come up with anything that looks cheap. The PS console is the epitome of all the advanced technology, so the PS console should give the impression that it incorporates all the technology and is worthy of showing that. That was a very important lesson that Mr. Kutaragi gave to me, and that has been the leading pillar of my thinking in design concepts and ideas.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The Polygon video is so good that it really hits all the good and emotional notes. Hits me in all the nostalgia feels.

Yeah I enjoyed that. Just felt Sony could have done more - even a simple montage of games through the 25 years, with interviews and quotes from FP....

*EDIT*
This is more like it 😊

Last edited:

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
gameinformer-321-cover-800.jpg

December 3, 1994, marks a big milestone in gaming history. On that day, the PlayStation launched in Japan. We all take the brand for granted now, but there was a time when some thought Sony's desire to enter the gaming space was folly – including plenty of people within the company. It's an incredibly interesting part of our shared history, which is why we're proud to reveal that Game Informer magazine's next cover story is a massive chronicle of the PlayStation's origins and history. We talked with more than a dozen of the men and women who were present during PlayStation's most pivotal moments, and they share their stories in a 24-page blowout.

Here's a complete rundown of everyone we interviewed for the oral history, just to give you a sense of what you can look forward to reading:

• Mark Cerny, lead system architect for PlayStation 5
  • Brian Fleming, co-founder and producer at Sucker Punch Productions
  • Takafumi Fujisawa, former Sound Group producer at Sony
  • Teiyu Goto, former member of Sony's Merchandising Strategy New Business Group
  • Ben Heckendorn, engineer and YouTuber
  • Andrew House, former president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Hermen Hulst, head of Sony Worldwide Studios
  • Masayasu Ito, executive vice president of Hardware Engineering and Operation at Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Ken Kutaragi, former honorary chairman at Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
  • Eric Lempel, senior vice president and head of Global Marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Ted Price, founder and CEO at Insomniac Games
  • Siobhan Reddy, studio director at Media Molecule
  • Jim Ryan, president and CEO at Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Manabu Sakamoto, former senior graphic designer, senior producer, director and senior art director at Sony
  • Angie Smets, studio director and executive producer at Guerrilla Games
  • Michiel van der Leeuw, studio director and tech director at Guerrilla Games
  • Evan Wells, president at Naughty Dog
  • Kazunori Yamauchi, representative director and president of Polyphony Digital
  • Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony's Independent Creators Initiative
The cover story takes up a big chunk of the issue, but it's far from the only thing that's in there. We've got a ton of great features, including a conversation with the showrunner of the upcoming Netflix adaptation of The Witcher, a look into the future of Xbox, and an extensive new preview of Crystal Dynamics' new Avengers game. We also have post-mortem features on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and The Outer Worlds, in addition to a roundup of some great board games that you can play with your family this holiday season.

Print subscribers can expect their issues to begin arriving in the coming weeks. The digital edition of this issue launches Thursday for PC/Mac, iOS, and Google Play. You can also get the latest issue through third-party apps on Nook and Kindle later this week. To switch your print subscription to digital, click here, or to create a new subscription, click here.

Accompanying article:

The First 25 Years

Surprised nobody made the thread

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome cover and art.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: beaten by a few seconds haha

The artist is selling prints of it later this week apparently

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm it's been ages since I last purchased a magazine, I will get this one. Can you buy the digital version without having to subscribe?

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Amazing!!

Man Im starting to think the ps5 will play ps1, ps2 and ps4 games...hopefully they can get ps3 games going too

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fat Princess makes it but not Sly?

anyway perfect time for said magazine since I am guessing February is the PS5 event