• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in the middle. Things have been improving, but we're still a long way from matching our western (and even our Singaporean neighbours) counterparts.
Nah, Digital Media Content Creation in Singapore is garbage :( . Although Ubisoft SG and Namco bandai is there but thats it for major gaming companies, Lucasart doesn't exist anymore, ILM rather hired experience people and Dneg Singapore shut down. Deader than ever.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
PlayStation CEO and President Jim Ryan added: "Impressive talent, a vibrant game ecosystem, and support from the government are key reasons why we have decided to take our partnership with Malaysia to the next level."
www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation to open development studio in Malaysia

PlayStation will open a new development office in Malaysia in 2020.It's the company's first Southeast Asian studio and …
When will you set a studio in Montreal then? Because Guerilla Montreal has a nice ring to it. 😏😉

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Yoshida was actually in Malaysia yesterday (he might still be there) when those new positions were announced

FqcmhZd.png

Yoshida going around playing various SEA indie games and offering meaningful feedback (this was before the SWW Studios announcement) was seriously the best thing ever. Genuine love for games.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Visual Arts has always been a crucial part of AAA game development of SIE. More interesting is why Sony needs an additional support studio. They already have:

- Visual Arts Service Group in San Diego;
- San Mateo Studio;
- Sony XDev Europe;
- External Development Team at Santa Monica Studio;
- Japan Studio;

I see two possible reasons. May be Visual Arts really have their own internal team and their capacity is full and Japan Studio is focusing on internal development with a possible AAA project.

Or SIE has started too many projects and they want additional help. I mean, there are so many possible collaborations. For example Remedy, Housemarque, Bluepoint, FromSoftware, Ready At Dawn, Firesprite others...
Even with those support studios, Sony's studios still outsource a lot of work to contract studios, just take a look at their credits. Creating an in-house studio to assist would help bring down some of those costs.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
- Visual Arts Service Group in San Diego;
- San Mateo Studio;
- Sony XDev Europe;
- External Development Team at Santa Monica Studio;
- Japan Studio;

The only large-scale support studio in that list is VASG. The rest are more production support oriented, credits for the support offered by XDev/SSM Ex Dev/San Mateo are not at the same scale as the animation/asset production that VASG supports.

Building a studio in Malaysia, with its current strength - would be closer to setting up an in-house outsourcing studio, but also one that has potential to eventually scale up or develop its own games later on.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's like an internal outsourcing studio right? There are a few big firms in india and other places that WWS have worked with, I guess doing it internally is a good way to start to foster talent in specific regions.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even heard of Malaysian. What's the point of opening a studio in a country no one's ever heard of.

Low labor costs and poor control standards to prevent abuse. Jim Ryan says so himself : they're not making their own games, they exist to produce assets on the cheap for PS5 exclusives. Hopefully my cinisism isn't shown to be right longer term, and they get to make their own content in the future.