• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It seems that Sony is forcing itself to lose whatever strength they have in the Brazilian market (the largest in Latin America and 13th in the world, despite ridiculous prices). It would be nice to see mainstream American and European press reporting this.

Amidst the current pandemic scenario, game fans are trying to mobilize in a campaign. Sony does not offer regionalized prices in Brazil, unlike its rival Microsoft.

In May, Sony announced a 33% price increase in PlayStation Plus subscriptions, while on Tuesday (29) PlayStation Hits games also appeared on the PS Store with higher values, these having a 24% increase. Both decisions motivated Brazilian players to create a Twitter campaign for the company to give up on readjusting values.

With the "PlayStationLowerPrices" and "PlayHasLimits" hashtags, the action has already spread and is gaining momentum. It started with user "schott", who even pointed out differences in game prices between the PS Store and the Microsoft Store. In his example, he cited Ninja Gaiden Master Collection: R$184.95 on Xbox and R$214.90 in the Sony store.

The campaign continues to grow on Twitter and many justify that the current scenario, in the midst of a pandemic, makes it difficult to purchase games. In this way, an increase pushes the PlayStation community away from what it loves most: games.

Many users also complain that they have already paid an absurd amount for a PlayStation 5 (R$4,700 for the disc version, R$100 more expensive than an Xbox Series X and the equivalent of more than 4 months of minimum wage in Brazil, which is R$1,100) and they still need to pay an R$350 price on PS5 games at launch, as Sony incresed the price of its games to U$70 on the US and doesn't regionalize the price of its products in Brazil, completely reduzing any possibility for some players to buy games at launch.

PlayStation Plus will have its values adjusted from the 7th of July. The annual price of the service will go from the current R$149.90 to R$199.90, an increase of 33%. While the 3-month plan will go from R$64.90 to R$84.90 and the monthly plan from R$25.90 to R$34.90.

The PS Hits label games have already had their labels changed on the PS Store: from R$79.90 to R$99.50, an increase of 24%. Games like Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, God of War (2018), Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered, Until Dawn are part of the collection.

The prices of upgrades for the recently announced Director's Cut version of Ghost Of Tsushima also pissed off consumers, with many complaining about the prices announced by the Japanese company:

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) for Director's Cut (PS5): R$ 159.90
Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) for Director's Cut (PS4): R$ 104.90
Director's Cut (PS4) to Director's Cut (PS5): R$ 55

In a statement, the company writes: "The readjustment in the prices of some games on the PS Store is in line with our constant assessment of market conditions. Our priority is to offer the best experiences, with maximum quality to meet users' expectations".

Twitter users have also listed some games that are more expensive on the PS Store compared to the Microsoft Store:

Spiritfarer
PS Store: R$124,90
Microsoft Store: R$57,45

Hades
PS Store: R$124,90
Microsoft Store: R$92,45

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
PS Store: R$274,90
Microsoft Store: R$199,00

Dead By Daylight 12500 Cells (ingame currency)
PS Store: R$534,90
Microsoft Store: R$199,00

Users from rival Xbox are recommending for PlayStation users to leave the platform and buy Xbox consoles, as prices are cheaper and the Game Pass service has been a great success in the country as it costs R$30 a month and Sony has yet to release PS Now in the country.

Some links in Portuguese:

www.tecmundo.com.br

Jogos PlayStation Hits registram aumento de preço em 24% no Brasil

God of War, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn e Bloodborne estão entre os jogos que ficaram mais caros
www.tecmundo.com.br

PlayStation: jogadores fazem campanha contra aumentos na PSN BR

Os fãs reclamam das altas dos preços dos jogos da linha PlayStation Hits e da PS Plus
tecnologia.ig.com.br

PlayStation: jogadores fazem campanha contra aumento de preços dos jogos

Hashtag #PlayStationLowerPrices é usada no Twitter para protestar contra os games mais caros
psxbrasil.com.br

Jogadores fazem campanha no Twitter contra o aumento de preço dos jogos e do plano PS Plus - PSX Brasil

Jogadores brasileiros inconformados com os novos preços dos jogos PlayStation Hits e do plano PlayStation Plus resolveram fazer uma campanha no Twitter para
psxbrasil.com.br

Jogadores notam que preço da linha PlayStation Hits sobe para 99 reais no Brasil - PSX Brasil

A linha PlayStation Hits oferece jogos de sucesso de PS4 por um preço tabelado de 19,99 dólares nos EUA. No Brasil, esse valor era de 79,99 reais e não teve
www.theenemy.com.br

PS4, PS5: Preço dos jogos PlayStation Hits aumenta no Brasil

Jogos clássicos de PS4 sofreram aumento de 24% e ultrapassam preço em dólar
viciados.net

PlayStation 4 | Jogadores revoltados no Twitter #PlaystationLowerPrices #JogarTemLimites

O aumento de preços nos jogos PlayStation Hits e no serviço da PS Plus motivaram a criação da campanha!
www.tudocelular.com

PlayStation: jogadores brasileiros fazem campanha contra aumento no preço dos jogos

Esta semana, a Sony anunciou um aumento nos jogos da linha PlayStation Hits, que visa vender alguns títulos exclusivos de sucesso por preços mais acessíveis.
www.gamerview.com.br

Nova versão de Ghost of Tsushima pega mal no Brasil

A PlayStation anunciou Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut, que trará uma nova expansão e conteúdo inédito ao já conhecido jogo do samurai Jin Sakai. Apesar de

May 29, 2018
As a Brazilian living in the US for 21 years, I feel bad for those back at home that have to deal with this. I wouldn't have played 90% of the games I've played in my life if I still lived there. I remember a few years ago my cousin came to visit and he took home an iPhone and a PS4 because it's cheaper to buy a flight and those two things than to buy them there. $4700 Real for a PS5 is $929 USD. Absolutely absurd.

Sep 26, 2020
Consumers in Brazil are using the hashtag

#JogarTemLimites (#PlayHasLimits An allusion to the slogan 'Play Has No Limits' but the overprice as the limit)

The most desperate thing is that Playstation Brasil's response to the move sounded like "I'm sorry, but I don't care."

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm scared that they are going to try something funny in the rest of latam

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In a statement, the company writes: "The readjustment in the prices of some games on the PS Store is in line with our constant assessment of market conditions. Our priority is to offer the best experiences, with maximum quality to meet users' expectations".

maximum quality prices

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Increasing prices left and right while making record profits.

These fucking companies.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone roughly know how many PS4 and PS5 have sold in Brazil? Compared to Xbox One and Xbox Series?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
As a Brazilian living in the US for 21 years, I feel bad for those back at home that have to deal with this. I wouldn't have played 90% of the games I've played in my life if I still lived there. I remember a few years ago my cousin came to visit and he took home an iPhone and a PS4 because it's cheaper to buy a flight and those two things than to buy them there.

Reminds me of when there was a parliamentary inquiry into Adobe's absolutely absurd pricing in Australia several years ago, and when the Adobe rep was asked why it's cheaper for Australian customers to fly return to the US and buy the software than purchase it locally, they just said, "They can do that if they want."

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It just sucks, and it's getting ridiculous, awfully ridiculous.

Consumers in Brazil are using the hashtag

#JogarTemLimites (#PlayHasLimits An allusion to the slogan 'Play Has No Limits' but the overprice as the limit)

The most desperate thing is that Playstation Brasil's response to the move sounded like "I'm sorry, but I don't care."

The hell?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, my PS is a first party and PS+ machine. Multiplats at Steam only.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
wtf up is up with those prices, it's like they are purposely trying to lose over there. They can't be in financial trouble so why squeeze people dry like this?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is not investing in Latam, basically, and I can even feel that as mexican. A recent example in México is Sonic Color, the price on PSN is 39.99 dollars and on Xbox is 469 pesos mexicanos (barely 24 dollars). This example show Sony don't have regional prices, and they charge us prices only in dollars. Things are even worse for us brazilian or argentinian brothers and sisters sadly :(

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i wonder if all this bad PR will make PS5 be in stock for more than 5 minutes.

they won't care as long as they sell out.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking the example of Dead by Daylight's currency, which is a whopping 99.99 USD on the US PSN store, if you were to use the current rates to get this price in BRL, it'd be around 506 BRL. So the current price tag isn't really all that disconnected from reality, and I wonder why MS is charging so little for it.

Edit: Heck, even Sekiro, which is full priced in the US PSN store is still not a bad deal at around 275 BRL, as the exchange rate would put the price over 300 BRL.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Does anyone roughly know how many PS4 and PS5 have sold in Brazil? Compared to Xbox One and Xbox Series?

I don't think there are any exact numbers, but the PS4 was the best-selling console (and still may be) in the country. The brand is extremely strong as a lot of people grew up playing pirated PS1 and PS2 games. There are many people who buy the games and pay in 3 or 4 installments, which is laughable when compared to other markets.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Taking the example of Dead by Daylight's currency, which is a whopping 99.99 USD on the US PSN store, if you were to use the current rates to get this price in BRL, it'd be around 506 BRL. So the current price tag isn't really all that disconnected from reality, and I wonder why MS is charging so little for it.
Because 500BRL is fucking HALF of brazilian monthly minimal wage.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Market leader tends to get arrogant. Happened before. Happening again.

Yeah like, Microsoft got high on their own cool supply last gen, most evident with how they thought they could release a console called the Xbox One and were assured it'd be referred to as "the One" instead of the Xbone, on top of all the no BC (which they're now the leader in) and always online requirements with naked contempt for anyone who didn't want that.

Same deets with Sony. Hell, same deets with Nintendo thinking they could release a cartridge console next to the PS1.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there are any exact numbers, but the PS4 was the best-selling console (and still may be) in the country. The brand is extremely strong as a lot of people grew up playing pirated PS1 and PS2 games. There are many people who buy the games and pay in 3 or 4 installments, which is laughable when compared to other markets.
Thanks. For let's say the PS4 then, do you think it's in the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions, or tens of millions? As you can tell by my question, I have absolutely no idea about the state of the industry in Brazil. :)

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Sony's prices have been really absurd in Brazil lately, it's getting harder to buy games and I'm definitely more picky in what I choose to purchase (I'm waiting for sales more often than not)

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Yeah like, Microsoft got high on their own cool supply last gen, most evident with how they thought they could release a console called the Xbox One and were assured it'd be referred to as "the One" instead of the Xbone, on top of all the no BC (which they're now the leader in) and always online requirements with naked contempt for anyone who didn't want that.

Same deets with Sony. Hell, same deets with Nintendo thinking they could release a cartridge console next to the PS1.

Nintendo's arrogance with the Wii U was on another level compared to the N64. they thought people would eat it up like the Wii.

also, they're starting to show signs of arrogance with the Switch even though it hasn't caught up with the PS4 yet. the Wii U humble pie was short lived.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Something something market leader. Ridiculous how companies think they can get away with stuff like this without it coming back to bite them in the ass.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This sure has been a week for Sony. A real week, indeed.

I was just thinking that with the 2 new acquisitions and the Ghost of Tsushima announcement.

OP: I have seen a lot of Twitter campaigns about this. Since I live in Portugal a lot of the Portuguese speaking tweets I read is about Brazil and what's happening there.
What I don't get is, why are prices different there for Sony and MS? The inflation should be similar for both right?

Sep 26, 2020
Thanks. For let's say the PS4 then, do you think it's in the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions, or tens of millions? As you can tell by my question, I have absolutely no idea about the state of the industry in Brazil. :)

In a survey conducted last year, 38.4% of Brazilians have a PS4

The results are:
  • PlayStation 4: 38,4%
  • Xbox 360: 29,4%
  • PlayStation 2: 23,6%
  • PlayStation 3: 22,6%
  • Xbox One: 22,5%
  • PlayStation 4 Pro: 11%

Jul 26, 2018
Gah this is horrible, gaming is already an expensive hobby as it is though with Game Pass and the Series S it has become way more accessible. Hope MS is/will be aggressive in Brazil this generation and Sony reacts accordingly. Regional pricing and officially sold hardware are the only hopes to make gaming reasonable, especially on low income/purchase power economies.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
In a survey conducted last year, 38.4% of Brazilians have a PS4

The results are:
  • PlayStation 4: 38,4%
  • Xbox 360: 29,4%
  • PlayStation 2: 23,6%
  • PlayStation 3: 22,6%
  • Xbox One: 22,5%
  • PlayStation 4 Pro: 11%

Actually 50, because of the 11% that own the Pro. It's a playstation country basically, Xbox owners are very vocal butalso very few.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if all this bad PR will make PS5 be in stock for more than 5 minutes.

they won't care as long as they sell out.
Selling consoles is only half the story. User engagement is just as important and that is going to suffer in the long run if Sony continues like this.

It's all about the long game. The PS4 wasn't successful just by itself, the turnaround during the PS3 days was a huge factor into this.

Sep 26, 2020
Actually 50, because of the 11% that own the Pro. It's a playstation country basically, Xbox owners are very vocal butalso very few.
Yeah. I live here in Brazil so i see a bunch of people trying to make Playstation BR reconsider theses prices. Series S has grown a lot here, mainly due to GamePass. But the Brazilian people are still very attached to the Playstation due to the success of the PS1 and PS2 with piracy around here

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
lol
Good thing Xbox isn't shit anymore. Hope Sony loses some money with this kinda move.

They also have their problems, Xbox live costs around R$ 350 yearly, which is quite higher than the new R$ 200 PS+ fee. They also increased the price for their $19,99 games to R$ 99 (the same price sony is increasing their GH games now) last year. But yes, they do have some games be cheaper due to MS also having a PC store and maintaining price parity with it across the board (taxation for PC software is WAY lower than for console games for some reason here)

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is not investing in Latam, basically, and I can even feel that as mexican. A recent example in México is Sonic Color, the price on PSN is 39.99 dollars and on Xbox is 469 pesos mexicanos (barely 24 dollars). This example show Sony don't have regional prices, and they charge us prices only in dollars. Things are even worse for us brazilian or argentinian brothers and sisters sadly :(
Plus tax!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah. I live here in Brazil so i see a bunch of people trying to make Playstation BR reconsider theses prices. Series S has grown a lot here, mainly due to GamePass. But the Brazilian people are still very attached to the Playstation due to the success of the PS1 and PS2 with piracy around here

Maísa screaming "playstation, playstation, playstation" every morning left a lasting impact lol.

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020

Edit: Heck, even Sekiro, which is full priced in the US PSN store is still not a bad deal at around 275 BRL, as the exchange rate would put the price over 300 BRL.

Because pricing shouldn't just be a matter of direct conversion but actually take the realities of the country's market into account, that's why regional pricing is a thing. Like the user above me said, 506 BRL is half the minimum monthly wage here, it's ridiculous.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Because pricing shouldn't just be a matter of direct conversion but actually take the realities of the country's market into account, that's why regional pricing is a thing. Like the user above me said, 506 BRL is half the minimum monthly wage here, it's ridiculous.

THIS! R$ 349 is NOT the same for us as $ 69 is for the average american consumer. Buying a new purchase is a very luxurious commitment at the moment for most people around here (middle class and below).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Xbox massively outsells them so that they are forced to be more competitive with their pricing, because that's just ridiculous. They won't change anything unless the sales of their hardware and software suffer.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
They also have their problems, Xbox live costs around R$ 350 yearly, which is quite higher than the new R$ 200 PS+ fee. They also increased the price for their $19,99 games to R$ 99 (the same price sony is increasing their GH games now) last year. But yes, they do have some games be cheaper due to MS also having a PC store and maintaining price parity with it across the board (taxation for PC software is WAY lower than for console games for some reason here)

You can get a 12 month XBL code for 200 pilas on Mercado Livre, and a GP Ultimate subscription costs R$450 for a year "officialy" (you can get it for cheaper with XBL to GPU trick), and 450 reais is like only 100 more than paying a Sony game on release day.