• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
A new Skyrim VR patch is coming very soon (likely Monday), with some nice improvements, including better graphics and new options for swimming/bow aiming controls!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimPSVR/comments/8t2tuq/skyrim_psvr_update_144008_patch_notes/

Skyrim PSVR Update 1.4.40.0.8 Patch Notes
  • Added a new main menu experience
  • Globally improved visual fidelity, particularly on PS4 Pro
  • Increased the maximum value for the height offset slider
  • Various bugfixes
  • Changes when using PS Move controllers:
    • In direct movement, changed the secondary X button to move the player backwards.
    • Added a new option, enabled by default, to "Show Hands When Sheathed"
    • Sheath/unsheath has been moved to hold secondary O button.
    • Adjusted angle for spell targeting to be more comfortable
    • The existing swimming has been moved to a new option for "Realistic Swimming". Swimming by default now uses Direct Movement style controls
    • Added option for HMD-relative direct movement instead of controller-relative direct movement.
    • Added a new option for "Realistic Bow Aiming" which uses both PS Move controllers to aim
    • Players can now point at map markers and get information on them in local map mode

Good timing for me getting the Skyrim bundle today.

Last edited:

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, edited my post. In my excitement, I didn't notice that the patch isn't out quite yet, but it should be released on Monday.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Sounds like a great patch! What is wrong with the swimming though? Making real life strokes is pretty funny but it's easy to make it "break" so you only need to hold the walk button. Apart from having to keep your head above the water, it works fine? Best of both worlds for me.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well I just got done with my first 3d film out of many in Moana. Wow, I personally loved it. Convincing n not too grainy. I used large screen. Even teared up a bit. Psvr continues to amaze me. Pixar and Disney collection here we go. Had to dim display below half colors are a touch too much sometimes. Wish we could tweak color saturation. Anybody know why we can't? It' s pretty good when just below half brightness a couple notches. Anyway yeah amazing. I know 3d is niche, but this set is an awesome use of it. Pixar and Disney and other 3d stuff can look so good. So glad I got this bundle.

Moana was the 3d bluray I bought to test this. (and the only one so far) I enjoyed it too.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Losing binaural audio is a big deal though. I've considered buying a little portable headphone amp and velcroing it to the headset. :D
Well, you could do that and add extra weight to the headset.

If you are using the V2 headset which has less wires, then you can just pull the crappy buds off, feed an auxiliary audio cable from the output and 'snake' it together with the video wire back towards the breakout box.

This is where I then connect this auxiliary cable to my headphone amp, from which I 'snake' back my headphone wires back to the headset. Kinda sounds messy, but with tidy cable management, doesn't really add too much to the existing cable clutter, and the amplified sound through quality headphones more than makes up for it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Well, you could do that and add extra weight to the headset.

If you are using the V2 headset which has less wires, then you can just pull the crappy buds off, feed an auxiliary audio cable from the output and 'snake' it together with the video wire back towards the breakout box.

This is where I then connect this auxiliary cable to my headphone amp, from which I 'snake' back my headphone wires back to the headset. Kinda sounds messy, but with tidy cable management, doesn't really add too much to the existing cable clutter, and the amplified sound through quality headphones more than makes up for it.
I have a V1, but I could still make that work. It might even be better, because the V1 cable is already bulky and awful, so a couple of thin headphone wires would hardly make a difference.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Sorry if this was addressed already. Has anyone hooked their PSVR to a PC for VR Steam games? I've read you can do that, but wanted to know more before I decide whether to get some Steam VR stuff this sale.
It's a pain to setup and you have to reset the Moves every time you change from PS4 and PC and vice versa. The tracking is so so. It's pretty cheap to setup (you can get PS3 camera for like 5$ at gamestop and Trinus is not expensive. PSMoveService is free and can do the tracking for both the Move and 'roomscale' for the headset (with Trinus).

It'S a lot of thinkering to get it to work passably well. It's not worth it imo unless you have a lots of spare time. and are running out of game to play on PSVR,

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pain to setup and you have to reset the Moves every time you change from PS4 and PC and vice versa. The tracking is so so. It's pretty cheap to setup (you can get PS3 camera for like 5$ at gamestop and Trinus is not expensive. PSMoveService is free and can do the tracking for both the Move and 'roomscale' for the headset (with Trinus).

It'S a lot of thinkering to get it to work passably well. It's not worth it imo unless you have a lots of spare time. and are running out of game to play on PSVR,

Yeah, definitely not worth the time. Thanks.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
There's a flash sale up on the NA PSN, including quite a few VR games. I know I just said I was going to wait before buying any games, but the timing was too good. I grabbed Doom VFR, Thumper and the Solus Project on sale.
Hyper Void can be played in VR mode and it's on sale too. It's an underrated old-school arcade shooter (like Gyruss or Beamrider) that is a ton of fun to play. I really enjoyed beating it.

Whatever you guys do, stay away from Pixel Gear. It's the worst VR purchase I've made so far.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Hyper Void can be played in VR mode and it's on sale too. It's an underrated old-school arcade shooter (like Gyruss or Beamrider) that is a ton of fun to play. I really enjoyed beating it.

Whatever you guys do, stay away from Pixel Gear. It's the worst VR purchase I've made so far.
My kids do like Pixel Gears actually. It's kinda a kiddish wave shooter. For adults, there are much better out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Why don't more devs put the model of the controller and buttons in-game? I have an AIM, two MOVE controllers, and the DS4, and because Sony's controller options are so disparate and awkward, I legitimately have no idea what to connect. You want to play with the MOVE controllers and you have to sync them and tilt the headset up so you can see the buttons (which are awkwardly placed). It's all so uncomfortable.

How does ERA start playing VR? Do you do all of the initial setup then start with the DS4? Do you try to navigate with MOVE (overly sensitive for menu navigation), do you use the AIM controller? I really hope that Sony considers designing a new controller, even for THIS generation of PSVR. Even if it's not a better controller with regards to sensitivity, I'd just be happy with something that integrates the DS4 and the MOVE controllers into one unit. What does ERA think?

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017

+1. I have recommended it several times. A few different play modes, good use of 3D depth, difficult ramps pretty well, visuals are good.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I still can't believe we don't have a full on scuba diving sim akin to Endless Ocean or Aquanauts Holiday on PSVR. It seems such a no-brainer as you're basically wearing a scuba mask for all VR games. Very frustrating.
I'm going to have to try and make my own version in Dreams at this rate.
My memory is Subnautica's going to get a PSVR patch; it's currently playable in VR on PC, and apparently it's a pretty amazing experience.

If you want a submersible experience, Neptune Flux is an underwater game. You're in a vehicle, though, not scuba diving.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
So I wanna know if anyone else experienced this...

I got my PSVR a couple of days ago and after some extensive play sessions, the real world kinda feels like I'm still wearing a VR headset. Like something is off with my vision. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wondering if this is the same effect you get after swimming where you feel like you're still in the ocean when lying in bed.

Anyway, it's a little disorienting and I hope I don't experience this after I get used to the headset.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I got my PSVR a couple of days ago and after some extensive play sessions, the real world kinda feels like I'm still wearing a VR headset. Like something is off with my vision. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wondering if this is the same effect you get after swimming where you feel like you're still in the ocean when lying in bed.

Anyway, it's a little disorienting and I hope I don't experience this after I get used to the headset.

I remember feeling a bit like that after just getting the headset when it was released, but that passed pretty quickly. I think VR is pretty confusing for your brain when you first start using it, but after a short while you get used to it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Why don't more devs put the model of the controller and buttons in-game? I have an AIM, two MOVE controllers, and the DS4, and because Sony's controller options are so disparate and awkward, I legitimately have no idea what to connect. You want to play with the MOVE controllers and you have to sync them and tilt the headset up so you can see the buttons (which are awkwardly placed). It's all so uncomfortable.

How does ERA start playing VR? Do you do all of the initial setup then start with the DS4? Do you try to navigate with MOVE (overly sensitive for menu navigation), do you use the AIM controller? I really hope that Sony considers designing a new controller, even for THIS generation of PSVR. Even if it's not a better controller with regards to sensitivity, I'd just be happy with something that integrates the DS4 and the MOVE controllers into one unit. What does ERA think?

Learn the Move button placements, that will make it easier. If my girlfriend isn't there to hand me the Moves, I normally strap them to your wrists before I put the headset on, use the DS4 for the menu and then put that to one side and grab the Moves.

I still wish Sony would make some Move's with Analog Sticks built in, that would be the ideal solution really, until we get a next gen PSVR, with proper VR controllers anyway.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I've had that. I find it similar to when you spend all day doing something and your body gets accustomed to it, then when you stop the thing you have bee doing has a bleed over effect. Motoracing, cycling, skating, climbing, are all things that have that effect when you first start out and doing them for excessive hours. Luckily like with those the VR bleed over effect is just when you are new to it.

Mar 17, 2018
Okay Re7 is legit creepy as fuck. Naysayers of VR are so ridiculous. Even at 1k per eye the pro doesn't have too many jaggies. Definitely jaggy but not crazy. I can only imagine this game at 4k per eye lol. Would be insane. 16k not sure I could distinguish this reality.

Can confirm hd600s n denon kick the shit out of headset audio just use virtual surround. Headphone dynamic range large surround options works well. Loud and scary. Headset audio is okay but lower. It doesn't distort but has no power. Still very good.

Nothing cooler than looking around the house. I lose my sense of direction in real life sooooooo immersive. Blacks on oled are yum. Great experience.

Game changer was going in the water. No spoiler coolest moment I have had in VR. This game just rocks in VR man. I could not live without VR after this. Very glad skyrim getting patch too.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Okay Re7 is legit creepy as fuck. Naysayers of VR are so ridiculous. Even at 1k per eye the pro doesn't have too many jaggies. Definitely jaggy but not crazy. I can only imagine this game at 4k per eye lol. Would be insane. 16k not sure I could distinguish this reality.

Can confirm hd600s n denon kick the shit out of headset audio just use virtual surround. Headphone dynamic range large surround options works well. Loud and scary. Headset audio is okay but lower. It doesn't distort but has no power. Still very good.

Nothing cooler than looking around the house. I lose my sense of direction in real life sooooooo immersive. Blacks on oled are yum. Great experience.

Game changer was going in the water. No spoiler coolest moment I have had in VR. This game just rocks in VR man. I could not live without VR after this. Very glad skyrim getting patch too.

It's pretty great. I didn't play it on a pro, and even though the graphics take a hit the immersion is more than worth it. My biggest problem is that it has significantly lessened other first person games for me. I loved the first Dishonored, and started playing the sequel after having played through RE7, but it just didn't work for me anymore. It felt like there was a filter between me and the game, and all I could think was that it would have been so much better if I had that feeling of being there that you get in RE7. I didn't even finish the game.

Mar 17, 2018
It's pretty great. I didn't play it on a pro, and even though the graphics take a hit the immersion is more than worth it. My biggest problem is that it has significantly lessened other first person games for me. I loved the first Dishonored, and started playing the sequel after having played through RE7, but it just didn't work for me anymore. It felt like there was a filter between me and the game, and all I could think was that it would have been so much better if I had that feeling of being there that you get in RE7. I didn't even finish the game.
Dude. I understand. This game is underrated in VR. More people need to try this. I cannot get over yhe tracking and immersion. That first fight omg lol.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
They all work well enough but I prefer the Aim controller, as it feels more natural aiming & shooting with motion controls in VR, while still having twin sticks to move.

So the Aim support with it is good?

I have $10 credit burning a hole in my pocket and do want another Aim game, but the initial impressions I read of VFR with Aim were mixed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So the Aim support with it is good?

I have $10 credit burning a hole in my pocket and do want another Aim game, but the initial impressions I read of VFR with Aim were mixed.

I've found it to be fine. A lot of people seem to complain about the grenade launcher being visible all the time (when you get it) and it is a little weird because it's like the character has a 3rd arm but if you can get past that, it works fine. I just put it down to the Doom VR character being a robot and not the Doom marine.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I've found it to be fine. A lot of people seem to complain about the grenade launcher being visible all the time (when you get it) and it is a little weird because it's like the character has a 3rd arm but if you can get past that, it works fine. I just put it down to the Doom VR character being a robot and not the Doom marine.

Hmm. Think I'm gonna get it. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2018
I'm now in mansion on madhouse. Sometimes redoing shit is a bit much. I be peeking around corners and shit in real time lol. Got a tiny bit sick after two hours. Re7 is so good in vr. Any tips people hve for madhouse?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
What's the best way to play doom vfr? Aim, move or regular?
I picked it up last night because of the flash sale. I've found that the mobility with the DS4 configurations are pretty damn amazing. If you mix free movement in the options with the quick dash of the d-pad and the teleport glory kill, you'll find yourself zipping through enemies with the same ease of the flat experience. I was legit surprised by how much I enjoyed the feeling of the gameplay after hearing how it rubbed earlier reviewers the wrong way.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Does anyone know if they ever patched in free movement for Obduction? I want to buy, but I'm not click turning and teleporting everywhere.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Does anyone know if they ever patched in free movement for Obduction? I want to buy, but I'm not click turning and teleporting everywhere.
I'm unaware of any patches since the VR patch came out. I played through the entire thing in VR; I'm no fan of teleporting, but there is so much walking back and forth in the game that I eventually was glad that for the speedier movement. Seriously, you must walk about 50 miles in the game.

Even with its limitations, I still enjoyed the game tremendously. As always, VR does things with scale that no other format can, and there are some incredible areas and machines in the game.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Rez existing in VR has got to be one of humankind's greatest accomplishments. The PSVR is my favorite gaming related thing in a long time!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
PSVR ERA, did Doom VFR ever get a patch for the PS Aim Controller dragging behind you when you move with the analog stick?

Also, did the Moves ever receive a patch to be able to turn incrementally in both directions instead of only 180?

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
PSVR ERA, did Doom VFR ever get a patch for the PS Aim Controller dragging behind you when you move with the analog stick?
No, never!

Although Skyrim VR to adjust controls is getting a patch today so not all hope is lost with regards to Bethesda games getting late support.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to play doom vfr? Aim, move or regular?
Aim is awesome in theory but they fucked it up with that stupid grenade launcher that always hangs into the screen from the left side (because it was made with dual-wield move-controllers in mind). Really distracted me. There is no option to turn it off :(

I ended up playing is with the dual-shock. Felt the most natural and fun for me. Move controllers felt shitty because of the movement.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Doom VFR with the aim is incredible for $15. Basically Doom 2016 in VR. The slow motion mechanic is great and has caused some cool moments. A good contrast to Farpoint, a more fast pace run and gun game. You also get some classic Doom levels too. For $40 I may have been mad though

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I took some screenshots (PS4 Pro) before and after the Skyrim patch for comparison. Sorry they're slightly different, it's a bit difficult to recreate a scene and position exactly in VR! I enlarged the images to make it easier to notice the difference.

The first image for each comparison is pre-patch, second is after:

#1:
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806231148ykkct.jpg
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806251855vcklo.jpg

#2:
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806231228nkjyd.jpg
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806251808uxk5a.jpg

#3:
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806240009o4kyp.jpg
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806251819elkum.jpg

#4:
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806240036qok2j.jpg
https://abload.de/img/skyrimvr_201806251839ypkmg.jpg

It's maybe a little hard to tell in screenshot form, but the resolution is definitely higher than before. In the first comparison, look at the aliasing on the prisoner's hands and arms in the before image, compared to after. In the third image, check out the increase in details that can be made out on the men and the table.

Oct 25, 2017
I took some screenshots (PS4 Pro) before and after the Skyrim patch for comparison. Sorry they're slightly different, it's a bit difficult to recreate a scene and position exactly in VR! I enlarged the images to make it easier to notice the difference.
Thanks for the comparison images. Looks like a good general improvement in sharpness.
Looking forward to getting back into this game.