• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Better controller tracking - and headset tracking; I had some serious issues in Moss the other night - is definitely the priority; the catch to doing a separate release of new controllers, though, is the fragmenting of the market. What if someone still has the current controllers and buys a game that won't work with them, or worse works really badly with them? It's a lot easier to manage that transition if you can simply label a game "PSVR2 required".

Aside from that issue, if they can do separate releases of controllers & headset, the ideal schedule for periodically draining money from customers is:

1) Release PS5
2) Release new controllers (possibly at the same time as the PS5)
3) Release new headset, with improved resolution; wireless would be incredible, but almost certainly too much to hope for
4) Release the PS5 Pro, with improved effects and downscaling both in VR and normal-R.

Right?? It was my first vr plat and I loved it to pieces, weird graphics issues aside. I had a marvelous time with that game.
Thirded - if you're someone who likes story in your games (and even more so if you have a certain voyeuristic bent), The Invisible Hours is a hidden VR gem.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the PSVR last weekend with the camera and move controllers. It came with Batman VR. I feel very lucky that the sale started last week.

Just bought:
Thumper
Keep talking and nobody explodes
Ultrawings
Driveclub VR
VR Worlds

All under 35 bucks. Anything else I should get?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Just got the PSVR last weekend with the camera and move controllers. It came with Batman VR. I feel very lucky that the sale started last week.

Just bought:
Thumper
Ultrawings
Driveclub VR
VR Worlds

Superhot VR is an absolute must.
Don't forget you might have Until Dawn (was a PS+ game a while ago) in your catalog.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Right?? It was my first vr plat and I loved it to pieces, weird graphics issues aside. I had a marvelous time with that game.
My first VR plat too and well worth the time. Loved slowly putting everything together until I realized what it was all hinting towards. Graphics would definitely have benefited from a higher res but I thought the art itself was fine. Wish there was a chapter 5 too but oh well. Would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys narrative focused games

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I posted this on another thread, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are re: PS5 VR.
If they are smart, they should look at developing standards with others to help VR adoption rate.

1) Standardise tracking technology across industry for VR HMDs and controllers. If it means licensing Lighthouse, so be it. A VR headset shouldn't be different from a TV when you go shopping for an upgrade.

2} Focus on innovating the controller - a general purpose VR controller that sets a standard and has easy locomotion for both seated and roomscale scenarios. Ideally a split controller that can be recombined. E. g longsword or rifle for single-wielding, and daggers or handguns for dual-weilding.

3) Wireless, lightweight system with easy recharging that lasts a long time.

4) Rendering technology that makes VR games easy and cheap to develop alongside traditional rendering for flatscreen games, so that any costs are amortised easily and any technical differences are minimised between VR and flatscreen.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Just bought:
Thumper
Ultrawings
Driveclub VR
VR Worlds

Superhypercube has been traditionally overpriced, and it is pretty simple, but I argue that it is one of the best games on VR. I just checked and it is only ten bucks if you have a PS+ subscription; it is absolutely worth that price. It is probably the first hidden gem of the PSVR.

Oh, also Knockout League. I was SUPER hesitant to pick it up initially, as I thought it looked pretty bad in screenshots and videos, but it is one of those games that looks WAY better when you are actually in VR. It is also a game that can genuinely give you a serious workout. It has been a part of my fitness regiment for the last month or so and it is still kicking my ass. The most fun I have ever had sweating my balls off and gasping for air.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden

Just bought:
Thumper
Ultrawings
Driveclub VR
VR Worlds

Apart from previously mentioned, I like Skyrim VR a whooole lot. There's something magical about the bow and arrow.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I am in love with PSVR.

Wipeout
RE7
Moss
Astro Bot

They are all incredible in their own ways.

I want every game in VR now.

Astro Bot and especially Moss have really blown me away. I can't get over the depth and 3 dimensional shit. Leaning around corners and stuff really blows my fucking mind. I love how Moss looks like little dioramas in front of you.
Looking to the left and right to MAKE the camera is mind blowing.

Best thing Sony's done since the PS1. I want a VR future now. I want Metroid, Mario, and Zelda in VR. I want Contra. I want classic Resident Evil games where your head looks over camera angles like in Moss. I want Mario 3D World with VR camera controls. I want to look over a rock in SR388 and find a missile expansion I couldn't see before. I want the PS5 to go all in with VR.

(I've spent some time with the Vive but I like the PSVR games way more)

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am in love with PSVR.

Wipeout
RE7
Moss
Astro Bot

They are all incredible in their own ways.

I want every game in VR now.

Astro Bot and especially Moss have really blown me away. I can't get over the depth and 3 dimensional shit. Leaning around corners and stuff really blows my fucking mind. I love how Moss looks like little dioramas in front of you.
Looking to the left and right to MAKE the camera is mind blowing.

Best thing Sony's done since the PS1. I want a VR future now. I want Metroid, Mario, and Zelda in VR. I want Contra. I want classic Resident Evil games where your head looks over camera angles like in Moss. I want Mario 3D World with VR camera controls. I want to look over a rock in SR388 and find a missile expansion I couldn't see before. I want the PS5 to go all in with VR.

(I've spent some time with the Vive but I like the PSVR games way more)

You are not the only one :D

Unfortunately it destroys a bit the fun I had with flat gaming :(

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
You are not the only one :D

Unfortunately it destroys a bit the fun I had with flat gaming :(
I still enjoy flat gaming very much. I just enjoy VR more. It's great to have these options man, can't wait to see how it all progresses...

Ideally in a perfect future we will be able to play most of the top triple AAA games in flat and VR, and the engine, software, and hardware just handles the translation between the 2 experiences. One can dream....

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still enjoy flat gaming very much. I just enjoy VR more. It's great to have these options man, can't wait to see how it all progresses...

Yes I enjoy them too, but i can't stop thinking how they would look like in VR.
For example when I played SOTC Ι was like. Omg I want to be there, feel the scale and vegetation to my feet.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Astrobot review and VR sale this week pushed me to finally buy Playstation VR. it should arrive tomorrow. I didn't buy PS Move yet because I figure I try my PS3 Move first, hopefully they still work.

anyway, game recommendation please, this is the one that's definitely on my buy list because of sale and also some that I already own the game

- RE7 Gold, manage to stay away spoiler free from the game until I got VR. will be my first time playing RE7
- Astro Bot
- Wipeout VR, already own this, looking forward to play it

I also want to get Superhot VR, but since I have no idea if my old Move controller will work or not. I'll have to test it first. need some cheap ps move game for testing. how's that Ping Pong or fishing VR game? is it good?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Move controllers came in two forms - the one with the light-up ball at the end, and the "navigation controller", which has no light-up ball but does have a joystick on it. The former will work with PSVR (but you'll need two of them for Superhot), but the latter has no use past the PS3.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Move controllers came in two forms - the one with the light-up ball at the end, and the "navigation controller", which has no light-up ball but does have a joystick on it. The former will work with PSVR (but you'll need two of them for Superhot), but the latter has no use past the PS3.
yeah I know, I have 2 PS Move controller, was pretty into it back in PS3. really enjoy my time with Sports Champion and some other Move games.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
yeah I know, I have 2 PS Move controller, was pretty into it back in PS3. really enjoy my time with Sports Champion and some other Move games.

I'm using old PS3 moves too, if you did not charge them in a while you might have to connect them to a PS3/4 to charge at first. That's how it was for me, would not charge on a external USB charger, but once I connected them to my PS4 they started charging again.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot review and VR sale this week pushed me to finally buy Playstation VR. it should arrive tomorrow. I didn't buy PS Move yet because I figure I try my PS3 Move first, hopefully they still work.

anyway, game recommendation please, this is the one that's definitely on my buy list because of sale and also some that I already own the game

- RE7 Gold, manage to stay away spoiler free from the game until I got VR. will be my first time playing RE7
- Astro Bot

I also want to get Superhot VR, but since I have no idea if my old Move controller will work or not. I'll have to test it first. need some cheap ps move game for testing. how's that Ping Pong or fishing VR game? is it good?

Congrats on the purchase. Get those Moves charging! Mine are from the PS3 era as well and think I remember reading something about the batteries going out if they're dormant too long?

As far as game recommendations go, what kinds of games are you into? There's really a wide breadth at this point. Some of my favorites off the top of my head, besides what you've mentioned, include:

Batman VR
Thumper
Job Simulator
I Expect You to Die
Knockout League
Rez
Moss
Battlezone
Star Wars: Battle front VR mission (super short)

At some point, pick up the Aim controller and get in on Firewall and Farpoint.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

- Astro Bot

I use move controllers I got in 2014 for $10 at a used game store- they don't hold a charge for more than a few hours, but I don't do long VR sessions so it's fine. It is annoying that they use a different USB size than the micro everything else on PS4 uses!
My favorite PSVR games are Super Hypercube, Rez, and Superhot VR

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Congrats on the purchase. Get those Moves charging! Mine are from the PS3 era as well and think I remember reading something about the batteries going out if they're dormant too long?

As far as game recommendations go, what kinds of games are you into? There's really a wide breadth at this point. Some of my favorites off the top of my head, besides what you've mentioned, include:

Batman VR
Thumper
Job Simulator
I Expect You to Die
Knockout League
Rez
Moss
Battlezone
Star Wars: Battle front VR mission (super short)

At some point, pick up the Aim controller and get in on Firewall and Farpoint.
I like game that immerse you to their world and narrative focused game. Games like RE, Astro Bot and Skyrkm seems like totally my kind of game. I'm also open to trying various genre, but games like for example Tumble, I enjoy my times with the game on ps3 with Move controller, but that kind of game didn't last long for me, I may paly it once or twice and later when letting my friend try it, but not much more. I'll get it if it's cheap just to experience it.

I also like sports game with motion control. I definitely want some tennis/boxing/fishing type of game in vr

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I had some friends over yesterday, and let one of them try Superhot VR. She's not really into video games and that was the first time she tried VR.

She got into it quite smoothly and then at one of the levels she realized she can actually duck behind objects in the world. On the next level after that, she lost touch with reality. She looked left and saw a gun between a red dude and herself. Out of nowhere, she just sprinted over there, ending up shortly in my coffee table. Shit was hilarious, especially since it was so sudden.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
I like game that immerse you to their world and narrative focused game. Games like RE, Astro Bot and Skyrkm seems like totally my kind of game. I'm also open to trying various genre, but games like for example Tumble, I enjoy my times with the game on ps3 with Move controller, but that kind of game didn't last long for me, I may paly it once or twice and later when letting my friend try it, but not much more. I'll get it if it's cheap just to experience it.

I also like sports game with motion control. I definitely want some tennis/boxing/fishing type of game in vr

Astro Bot is a must. I've only dabbled with Skyrim VR as I have tons of hours in the flat version. Trying to sack up and get through RE 7 since Halloween is close and it's really fucking creepy in VR.

For other narrative focused games, check out Moss, Apex Construction, Batman VR and I Expect You to Die. Superhot VR is immersive and a must buy.

For sports, Knockout League is great fun. Don't have Creed, the other boxing game, so I can't speak to that. Pretty sure KL is part of the sale. Sparc is a fun futuristic sports-like game. Think discs of Tron. Hear good things about Sprint Vector as well, but haven't played it. Get winded enough with Knockout League!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
What's everyone's favorite experience so far?

For me I'm choosing Moss so far. When I opened that gate just before the small village and peered inside and saw an entire world stretch before me I was really blown the fuck away.

I haven't played Astro Bot since the first night (Fri) though so I need to get back on that. I got to the cave level and was really blown away by the beginning of it and had to stop there.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just want to say Astro Bot is probably my favorite VR game to date. I am on the last boss, but its easily my VR game of the year. I thought Firewall would take that crown, but out came Astro Bot!

I hope the game sells well, because I want more.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
I was just thumbing through the PSVR games on sale...

The Lost Bear. Is it worth $3.24?

What about Infinite Minigolf at $5.99?

I quite enjoyed the lost bear, it is a story based 2D platform game that places you in the environment that the main character is in - it's like you are watching a play on a stage. You also have some interactive bits to do with the DS4. Well worth £3.24 for something a little bit different.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best space flight game on PSVR? Is there a decent one? I love the COD:Advance Warfare freebie and just want to fly around in space. I bought Space Rift on the big sale but it's not great. It's okay but really slow moving and there's not a lot to do in it. What's better?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best space flight game on PSVR? Is there a decent one? I love the COD:Advance Warfare freebie and just want to fly around in space. I bought Space Rift on the big sale but it's not great. It's okay but really slow moving and there's not a lot to do in it. What's better?
Eve is great but it's multiplayer only.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Eve is great but it's multiplayer only.
I found eve boring after the initial wow factor tbh.

Star Wars Battlefronts VR demo is basically a better version of the Infinite Warfare demo. Only about 15 minutes long but it's pretty awesome. If you can ever get battlefront for $5 I'd say it's worth it for the demo

I'm pretty surprised Elite hasn't gotten PSVR support when the pc version has VR support.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017

Star Wars Battlefronts VR demo is basically a better version of the Infinite Warfare demo. Only about 15 minutes long but it's pretty awesome. If you can ever get battlefront for $5 I'd say it's worth it for the demo

I'm pretty surprised Elite hasn't gotten PSVR support when the pc version has VR support.
I used to play it with a bunch of guys around launch. It was great and imo (as someone who loves Space Sims) I haven't seen anything better. Elite would have been but, we aren't getting it unfortunately.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017

Think I heard that the PS4 just wasn't powerful enough. Or at at least the OG wasnt, so they couldn't do it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely getting Moss, waiting for discount sinced there are plenty of vr games already. Will lookminto knock out league.

I think you are making the correct choice when it comes to VR boxing games. I have been jumping between Creed and Knockout League quite a bit over the last two weeks. My personal take is that Creed would have been a more appealing game if Knockout League didn't already exist. Knockout League is so polished, and it does everything so well. The training mode is just an insane workout, and it is a great time too. Creed could have been one of the best games to buy for an enjoyable array of exercises with a few tweaks, but the lack of customization means you spend a lot of time in menus. I am not shitting on Creed, it has positive elements too, but it isn't even close to as refined as Knockout League.

Also, I would seriously consider SuperHyperCube. It is an amazing game that everyone I have shown has been able to really sink their teeth into. It has that "just one more time" quality that the best games of its ilk tend to have. It is very simple, but it is also essentially perfect. Absolutely worth the price that it is selling at right now.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think you are making the correct choice when it comes to VR boxing games. I have been jumping between Creed and Knockout League quite a bit over the last two weeks. My personal take is that Creed would have been a more appealing game if Knockout League didn't already exist. Knockout League is so polished, and it does everything so well. The training mode is just an insane workout, and it is a great time too. Creed could have been one of the best games to buy for an enjoyable array of exercises with a few tweaks, but the lack of customization means you spend a lot of time in menus. I am not shitting on Creed, it has positive elements too, but it isn't even close to as refined as Knockout League.

Also, I would seriously consider SuperHyperCube. It is an amazing game that everyone I have shown has been able to really sink their teeth into. It has that "just one more time" quality that the best games of its ilk tend to have. It is very simple, but it is also essentially perfect. Absolutely worth the price that it is selling at right now.

I've been afraid of buying Knockout League since it seems like a game that requires a ton of space. I feel like I'd end up injuring my hand by hitting my bookshelf lol.

Hope there's a second week of sales tomorrow

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I've been afraid of buying Knockout League since it seems like a game that requires a ton of space. I feel like I'd end up injuring my hand by hitting my bookshelf lol.

Hope there's a second week of sales tomorrow

On the positive side, you don't turn much. So you don't need much space to your left or right. However, yeah, you definitely want some space in between yourself and the TV. I have about a̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶ eight feet, which allows me to take a step away from my couch and not be in any danger of punching my TV.

The game itself is very good, but Reflex Alley is where it shines. Set the mode to endurance, set it for fifteen minutes, and get a mop for the puddle you are going to leave on the floor. The new Heavy Bag DLC is also excellent (and it only costs a couple of bucks).

*edit*
I actually measured the space in front of my television. I way underestimated.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. If the whole getting accustomed to VR / "VR legs" a real thing?

I bought a PSVR yesterday and today spent probably a little over an hour playing Until Dawn Rush of Blood. I love it and broke it into 30 minute or so chunks. While I never got the full on crazy sickness that some people report I definitely after my last session felt a bit of a headache as well as sour stomach that lasted most of the day.

I'm loving my time with VR but I'm a little worried if this continues

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017

I bought a PSVR yesterday and today spent probably a little over an hour playing Until Dawn Rush of Blood. I love it and broke it into 30 minute or so chunks. While I never got the full on crazy sickness that some people report I definitely after my last session felt a bit of a headache as well as sour stomach that lasted most of the day.

I definitely have issues with motion sickness when I pick up VR after a long hiatus. It's also more pronounced with some games than with others, especially ones with full locomotion. For me, it never goes away completely and I can only really play for an hour, two at most. However, my eyesight is atrocious and I wear thick glasses so that might have something to do with it too?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely have issues with motion sickness when I pick up VR after a long hiatus. It's also more pronounced with some games than with others, especially ones with full locomotion. For me, it never goes away completely and I can only really play for an hour, two at most. However, my eyesight is atrocious and I wear thick glasses so that might have something to do with it too?

That's what I'm worried about is that it will never really go away. I'm debating on if I should return it or not because I certainly dont want to feel like this each time I play VR.

And it's a HUGE bummer because Until Dawn is the only thing I've played on it so far and that alone is blowing me away. I'm going to be kinda heartbroken if VR isnt for me

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm worried about is that it will never really go away. I'm debating on if I should return it or not because I certainly dont want to feel like this each time I play VR.

And it's a HUGE bummer because Until Dawn is the only thing I've played on it so far and that alone is blowing me away. I'm going to be kinda heartbroken if VR isnt for me

Maybe try some of the free demos. Until Dawn is on a rollercoaster so it can feel a bit more visceral. I know I can feel it in my stomach whenever the rollercoaster goes down a big dip!

A lot of the time it really does depend on the game.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017

I've had the PSVR for nearly the full two years now and have gone through a range from mild discomfort to one really bad bought of nausea that lasted a few hours. Tried playing Eve Valkyrie and it messed me up for an afternoon. Smooth motion makes my head and stomach drop.

Definitely feel it's gotten better over my time with it. Played through Astro Bot recently, a few hours every night for a week, and no issues at all. I find a fan pointed at me while I play really helps.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

People like Krejlooc say VR legs aren't a thing (unless I'm confusing him with someone else?). Though I always see people bringing it up so I'm inclined to believe there's some sort of VR learning curve. Personally speaking if I take a long hiatus from a game and go into a particularly intense experience I'll experience some discomfort but I tend to get over it once I get back into the swing of things. In general though I'm not that prone to VR sickness so I can't comment much on the VR legs thing.

In regards to your headache it's possible that the PSVR itself is too tight? I've seen people on Reddit report that the rubber band inside the headset wrapped too tightly around their head and would cause headaches. I've heard over time it loosens up therefore easing the pressure on your head. Also read about people cutting the band which eases the pressure entirely. Not sure how negatively that might affect the headset though

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like Krejlooc say VR legs aren't a thing (unless I'm confusing him with someone else?). Though I always see people bringing it up so I'm inclined to believe there's some sort of VR learning. Personally speaking if I take a long hiatus from a game and go into a particularly intense experience I'll experience some discomfort but I tend to get over it once I get back into the swing of things. In general though I'm not that prone to VR sickness so I can't comment much on the VR legs thing.

In regards to your headache it's possible that the PSVR itself is too tight? I've seen people on Reddit report that the rubber band inside the headset wrapped too tightly around their head and would cause headaches. I've heard over time it loosens up therefore easing the pressure on your head. Also read about people cutting the band which eases the pressure entirely. Not sure how negatively that might affect the headset though

Hmmm

Well I can return it for any reason within the next 30 days, so I suppose I can spend some more time with it and see how it goes. I just played an hour straight of Moss and it was WONDERFUL with zero discomfort (though that's to be expected since there is no real movement)

Tomorrow I'll give something else a try and see how I hold up. If I find more experiences are giving me sickness then I may have to give up on VR unless they somehow find a way to mostly eliminate discomfort

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm

Well I can return it for any reason within the next 30 days, so I suppose I can spend some more time with it and see how it goes. I just played an hour straight of Moss and it was WONDERFUL with zero discomfort (though that's to be expected since there is no real movement)

Tomorrow I'll give something else a try and see how I hold up. If I find more experiences are giving me sickness then I may have to give up on VR unless they somehow find a way to mostly eliminate discomfort

Hope it works out for you dude. I'm someone who can sit down and play Skyrim with smooth locomotion for 4+ hours at a time without feeling sick. Though I do prefer snap turning because smooth turning is my breaking point. Hell when RE7 came out I played it across 3 sessions for 10 hours total across the span of 24 hours. It was an amazing experience. Hope you can get to the point where you're comfortable with VR too and keep us updated on your progress please.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I am convinced you can train your tolerance to a certain degree - but not from "Moss makes me woozy!" to "Who needs comfort settings in WipEout?".

It's not a linear thing either, because it's very individual. For example I need click turning, because smooth turning makes me sick after about 15 minutes. A collegue of mine said he gets sick with click turning but can stomach smooth turning just fine.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
The other thing to add is don't try to battle through it - if you start to feel rough then take the headset off, it's only going to get worse to the point of feeling like you never want to wear it again.

As Darmik say, Rush of Blood is a rollercoaster so can be intense for some people. Astro Bot is much slower and doesn't rapidly change direction or height so is a much easier VR experience. Download the Playroom VR and the Demo disc to see how you fare on other things (leave Driveclub VR till last ;-)