• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The VR community (PC and console VR) reminds me of this for some reason:

b7bb5c04830150e7ccbf850fc04bb3af.jpg

Lol. Yeah, being smaller makes it more of a tight knit community, much different than normal interactions in games, on social media etc. SO many less trolls. My whole friends list has become VR players, and they are cool as hell. Pretty decent amount of friends on the PC side as well even though I'm 100% PSVR.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
If No Man's Sky looks as good in VR as Wipeout does, I might cry.
That's pretty much impossible. Even on a base PS4, through very thorough optimization, the resolution is very high (1512p).

NMS will have to sacrifice to hit performance goals, be happy when it still looks good. I figure draw distance will suffer noticably.
Yeah, Wipeout isn't an open world game. For a very rough benchmark, consider the difference between Skyrim PSVR and Skyrim non-PSVR.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
The No Man's Sky VR announcement pushed me over the edge, and I have a shiny new PSVR on the way! My only concern now, is that I have a base PS4.

Can anyone here attest to whether or not the base PS4 experience is significantly worse than on the PRO? I know there's a resolution bump with Pro, but aside from that am I going to regret my purchase?

To give some perspective, my only other VR experience was with the Gear VR. I was really looking at the upcoming Oculus Quest, but there's just too many exclusives on PSVR for me to go that route instead!

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
State of Play was awesome for me! I know it's getting a lot of hate on ERA, but... [shrugs shoulders]

I'm in for:
Iron Man VR
No Man's Sky VR (I've been asking for this since launch)
Concrete Genie VR
Falcon Age
Vacation Simulator

And from the Blog post:
Golem
And maybe... Luna

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Yeah, being smaller makes it more of a tight knit community, much different than normal interactions in games, on social media etc. SO many less trolls. My whole friends list has become VR players, and they are cool as hell. Pretty decent amount of friends on the PC side as well even though I'm 100% PSVR.

Got both PSVR and a Rift, so I pretty much get the best of both worlds (decided to wait for Borderlands 2 VS and Ace Combat VR missions to hit PC though).

I received PSVR for christmas, never had any expectation at all for it, a few days later I ordered myself a Rift and a 3rd sensor (room scale) because I liked it so much.

VRs main problem is that it is difficulty to market. People actually have to try it themself and a proper game (as in, no "experience").

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
The No Man's Sky VR announcement pushed me over the edge, and I have a shiny new PSVR on the way! My only concern now, is that I have a base PS4.

Can anyone here attest to whether or not the base PS4 experience is significantly worse than on the PRO? I know there's a resolution bump with Pro, but aside from that am I going to regret my purchase?

By all accounts, VR games are just as fluid on base PS4 as Pro. The few VR games I tried on mine before upgrading to Pro I really did not notice any differences.

CriticalHit

Dec 20, 2018

To give some perspective, my only other VR experience was with the Gear VR. I was really looking at the upcoming Oculus Quest, but there's just too many exclusives on PSVR for me to go that route instead!

Games will run at 60 or higher or both base and pro. Extra resolution or visual features will vary from game to game.

VR Worlds for example adds SSR to one of the experiences on the Pro.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there's much of a frame rate difference, if any at all, between PSVR games on a Pro vs. Base. The resolution boost isn't night-and-day, but it's noticeable, especially in games with small text, where it can be fine on the Pro and difficult to read with the base PS4.

So long as you never see your games running on a Pro, you'll be fine. ;)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I've been playing on a standard PS4 since the day the PSVR was released, and I'm happy with the performance. The difference varies from game to game, and some titles take a hit in visual quality, but they all play smoothly and the immersion is far more important in VR than textures and things like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Eden Tomorrow. It's kind of generic but not bad. I'm happy that the controls work well even with free mobility and except for a few panicky moments I haven't had any motion issues. I wish I could disable strafing entirely though.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Any impressions on Space Junkies? I would probably go for it on Oculus but I really need to dust off my PSVR so if it's any good, I'll bite there.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody's Golf VR is up for preorder on the NA Store for $29.99 USD/$39.99 CAD:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA14641_00-EBG000000000US01

Digital Pre-order Details:
Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:

EVERYBODY'S GOLF VR THEME 'SEASIDE COURSE'

Pre-order Everybody's Golf VR now to receive the Everybody's Golf VR Forest PS4 theme when the game launches!

Play on 05/21/2019 12am Eastern Time

Step on to the course like never before in the most immersive Everybody's Golf experience yet!
• Swing for the flag with your PlayStation®Move motion controller or DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller.
• Play through three incredible courses with tips from your very own charismatic caddie.
• Practise your putting on the green or tee off at the driving range to perfect your swing.

Blood & Truth is up as well, for $39.99 USD/$49.99 CAD:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11108_00-0000000000000000

Digital Pre-order Details:
Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:

KAYLA AVATAR

RYAN AVATAR

CARSON AVATAR

Pre-order Blood & Truth now to receive the Blood & Truth digital soundtrack app and the Blood & Truth digital art book when the game launches!

Play on 05/28/2019 12am Eastern Time

BE THE ACTION HERO
Star in your own explosive action movie blockbuster with this PS VR exclusive shooter.

Battle through the crime-ridden London underworld as elite soldier Ryan Marks in your deadliest mission yet… to save your family from a ruthless criminal empire.

Take out your targets with breathless, over-the-top epic gun play as you drive, parachute and rappel across the city amid exciting set pieces.

Key Features:
• Experience the thrill of becoming a big screen action hero by wielding two PlayStation®Move motion controllers – or a DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller.
• Live every moment of the drama with a unique soundtrack of classic movie orchestral scoring and London grime – composed by leading artists.
• Wreak havoc through an unpredictable story packed with twists, turns and shocking revelations.

This will sound really weird, but I wish that Déraciné wasn't 1) a studio's first project in VR while also working on a much larger one and 2) not so beholden to the normal From Software storytelling format. The former is due to the weird and kinda unpleasant controls and the very, very, very limited amount of interactivity, the latter due to the fragmented nature of the story making it really hard to form any kind of connection with the cast outside of Yuliya, as well as what turns out to be really low stakes all around once the story does finally kick it up a notch.
I figured that the plot was eventually going to take a turn for the "make it so that you never met (insert key figure here) in the first place for the happy ending," but once you realize that taking someone's life away from them doesn't have any adverse effects that can last, it's really hard to feel that particularly engaged by the threat of the evil faeries when it can all be reversed so that it never happens, to absolutely no detriment to whomever the life is taken from. It's a shame, since the build-up on the mountain with each of the kids save Lorinc getting sapped really did instill a genuine level of creepiness, only for it to be snatched away for the big puzzle sequence afterward when Lorinc kept giving up his life over and over so that you could begin to set things right. And while I get that it was supposed to be the big twist that the tutorial is in fact the inciting incident all along that sets everyone on their unhappy path, it's hard to get on board with it as a storytelling tool when all those dumbass signs are still around to tell you what button does what: it kills the drama of the reveal and it adds in an unnecessary level of fourth-wall breaking that game didn't need at all.
I don't hate the game, but it is very frustrating to think about, and not even a brain-dead platinum trophy can take away from its fundamental level of dissatisfaction as both a narrative and as a VR experience. I do hope that From gets another shot at it to make things right, since the setting is swell, the atmosphere is off the charts and the recital sequence is some of the best 3D audio I've ever heard, but they need to address everything they faltered on.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
I don't hate the game, but it is very frustrating to think about, and not even a brain-dead platinum trophy can take away from its fundamental level of dissatisfaction as both a narrative and as a VR experience. I do hope that From gets another shot at it to make things right, since the setting is swell, the atmosphere is off the charts and the recital sequence is some of the best 3D audio I've ever heard, but they need to address everything they faltered on.
Realizing I am the baby when I flipped around my move controller to see my hand in game was one of the greatest moment in the last year playing games

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
IDK which version the NMS VR trailer was running but you can see the graphical hits,.The trees and far off objects were pretty blurry, the freighter looked like the textures were smudged, not as much graphical detail on far away objects. Combined with the screen door effect it might look rough at times. But that really does not matter as the sense of scale will literally be out of this world.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This will sound really weird, but I wish that Déraciné wasn't 1) a studio's first project in VR while also working on a much larger one and 2) not so beholden to the normal From Software storytelling format. The former is due to the weird and kinda unpleasant controls and the very, very, very limited amount of interactivity, the latter due to the fragmented nature of the story making it really hard to form any kind of connection with the cast outside of Yuliya, as well as what turns out to be really low stakes all around once the story does finally kick it up a notch.
I figured that the plot was eventually going to take a turn for the "make it so that you never met (insert key figure here) in the first place for the happy ending," but once you realize that taking someone's life away from them doesn't have any adverse effects that can last, it's really hard to feel that particularly engaged by the threat of the evil faeries when it can all be reversed so that it never happens, to absolutely no detriment to whomever the life is taken from. It's a shame, since the build-up on the mountain with each of the kids save Lorinc getting sapped really did instill a genuine level of creepiness, only for it to be snatched away for the big puzzle sequence afterward when Lorinc kept giving up his life over and over so that you could begin to set things right. And while I get that it was supposed to be the big twist that the tutorial is in fact the inciting incident all along that sets everyone on their unhappy path, it's hard to get on board with it as a storytelling tool when all those dumbass signs are still around to tell you what button does what: it kills the drama of the reveal and it adds in an unnecessary level of fourth-wall breaking that game didn't need at all.

It's funny. I can understand how you could hold all of those opinions, but at the same time I disagree almost completely. The controls are not perfect, even if I did get used to them fairly quickly. The design of the game does sort of make teleportation and click-turning an obvious choice though, as limiting the parts of the areas that are interactive to the player makes it possible to have fairly large areas to explore without making looking for points of interest tedious. So even there I'm giving From a pass. As for the story, I couldn't disagree more. I loved the setting and the mood of the world. While the children are somewhat archetypical, I also didn't have any problems connecting to them. Over all, while it's not a game that begs for multiple playthroughs, I find myself thinking back on it more often than most other games. Also, only in videogames could someone describe
obliterating yourself in order to safe the lives of an entire group of children
as low stakes. Besides, considering that Miyazaki likes exploring worlds where civilization has fallen due to some calamity, it's certainly implied that
the world outside the protected school is being overrun by fairies devouring the people living in it.
I will agree that the signs at the end somewhat broke the illusion of the game, but overall I absolutely loved it. I hope that From does more games like it. Short, weird stories told for VR.

Last edited:

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care how many people didn't like State of Play. I LOVED IT!!!!

I'M SICK OF THE WHINERS AND PEOPLE THAT WANT TO ACT LIKE WE DIDN'T GET GOD OF WAR AND HORIZON ZERO DAWN AND BLOODBORNE AND DETROIT BECOMING HUMAN AND SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS AND SPIDERMAN AND UNCHARTED 4 AND UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY AND INFAMOUS SECOND AND METAL GEAR SOLID V AND RDR 2...SO MANY OTHER SUPERLATIVE SECOND AND THIRD PARTY GAMES AND ACTING LIKE WE'RE NOT GETTING DAYS GONE AND GHOST OF TSUSHIMA AND DEATH STRANDING AND LAST OF US 2.

THEY'RE A BUNCH OF ENTITLED BRATS I SAY!

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Shots fired!!

I'm extremely satisfied with software offerings on both PS4 and PSVR, we live in a gaming world of plenty.

If Sony could just finally announce that Colony Wars though...

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how many people didn't like State of Play. I LOVED IT!!!!

I'M SICK OF THE WHINERS AND PEOPLE THAT WANT TO ACT LIKE WE DIDN'T GET GOD OF WAR AND HORIZON ZERO DAWN AND BLOODBORNE AND DETROIT BECOMING HUMAN AND SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS AND SPIDERMAN AND UNCHARTED 4 AND UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY AND INFAMOUS SECOND AND METAL GEAR SOLID V AND RDR 2...SO MAN OTHER SUPERLATIVE SECOND AND THIRD PARTY GAMES AND ACTING LIKE WE'RE NOT GETTING DAYS GONE AND GHOST OF TSUSHIMA AND DEATH STRANDING AND LAST OF US 2.

THEY'RE A BUNCH OF ENTITLED BRATS I SAY!

Chill. It's just nerd rage. Same when any corporation they are emotionally invested in does something different they don't understand.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised to see PSVR get so much love from the first State of Play, but then I'm always peripherally concerned about Sony pulling a PSP/Vita with PSVR and pulling support on it. I'm really happy they haven't though, it looks like they went into PSVR with the understanding that they were pioneering tech, and getting good user data for a next generation of headsets.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Relax and enjoy the progress. Remember when you could read everywhere that Sony will pull the plug on the still-born PSVR any day now? Now many of the same people are angry they aren't getting Flat Iron Man. XD

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. A year back or so, every VR tread was filled with as many vitriolic trolls as there was people actually interested in VR. Nowadays the tone is a lot more civil and positive, even if you still get a shitpost or two about how VR is just a gimmick. It seems that people in general have started to become much more interested in VR, which is nice.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. A year back or so, every VR tread was filled with as many vitriolic trolls as there was people actually interested in VR. Nowadays the tone is a lot more civil and positive, even if you still get a shitpost or two about how VR is just a gimmick. It seems that people in general have started to become much more interested in VR, which is nice.
Or at least less irrationally opposed to it... Thank God 🙄

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chill. It's just nerd rage. Same when any corporation they are emotionally invested in does something different they don't understand.
Understandable and I appreciate the improvement in response on PSVR too. However, the fact remains that the coverage of PSVR content in mainstream games media is still virtually non-existant after 2+ years even if somewhat improved. It's really only Sony creating it's own promotional content that will really continue to inform mostly interested but not yet committed gamers about PSVR games.

Having people, regardless of their lack of maturity, have an expectation that Sony was/is going to ignore promoting it's own growing and front of class VR solution and titles despite already having delivered a smothering amount of non-VR content for years with tons of great coverage all over the web was a little too much.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
So i just sold my vr. I had a lot of fun with it (especially astrobot and re7) but it was just collecting dust. Also i actually prefer playing on the TV.

If Sony ever release a wireless one which is much smaller then i will consider buying that

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
It's quite strange that Sony don't include VR games with PS Plus more often. I'm not talking Astrobot but smaller indie titles would probably love the exposure, those of us with PSVR would love a freebie and those without would steadily build up a catalogue they can't play. The pressure would slowly but surely build up in their minds.

"Maybe I SHOULD get a PSVR. I'm missing out on a free game every month"

I really think it would increase the hardware sales numbers.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's quite strange that Sony don't include VR games with PS Plus more often. I'm not talking Astrobot but smaller indie titles would probably love the exposure...

It's kind of annoying, but the attach rate for PSVR is quite high and they run deep sales on PSN for PSVR games almost every couple of months it seems, so as long as people are buying the games ala carte, en masse, they aren't going to offer the games for free.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
When PSVR dropped to $200 for Black Friday, I actually used the old PlayStation Plus bonus games as a selling point to convince myself that it was worth it. For my $200, I didn't just get Astro Bot and Moss but also Rigs and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood which I wanted to play and some other PS+ games which I at least wanted to give a shot. Many people aren't convinced by Virtual Reality as a concept and those people need convincing if they are to drop $200+ on a headset. "Free" games can definitely help as a step to convincing non-believers like I used to be.

So, I was also surprised they didn't add at least one VR game every month. Feels like a great way to keep owners playing the headset, giving the platform publicity by showing commitment and enticing existing PS4 owner to invest in PSVR. I guess the service is mostly an online paywall now though and not what it was pre-PS4, sadly.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I concur - as I sit back in my Armchair CEO armchair, it seems to me that putting a PSVR game in the now-pitiful monthly PS+ games collection - we're down to two games total per month, and if, like me, you don't do multiplayer, it's effectively one game - seems like the smarter move in terms of increasing the attractiveness of both PSVR and PS+. Hell, if it improves sales of both even a minuscule amount, it's hard to imagine that wouldn't offset the cost of the monthly PSVR game.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'm going to try and be objective of the company side of the PS+ freebie discussion and say they should wait another year or so before regularly offering PSVR titles every month.

Unlike the main console, PSVR hardware is a niche purchase supported by fewer gamers that have shown that they will spend money on software (I hear there's a high attach rate per PSVR gamer). If Sony plants the idea that PSVR games will be offered every month with PS+, then it may have an adverse effect on new VR releases that already have to try and find an audience to pull in a profit.

That's what Sony no doubt had in mind when they took ages to release premium 1st party titles on PS+ like Knack. People expected it to come quickly after release, and ended up buying it over the course of several years because SOny didn't want that expectation to affect other new releases while the console's population grew. As of now, anyone willing to buy a new indie PSVR release will do so fairly early without thinking that they only need to wait a bit to get it at no charge.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
There can be disadvantages and costs associated with adding PSVR games to the PS+ subscriptions but what Sony has done now is to flat out remove 67% of the monthly games without replacing them. That's kind of disappointing for me as a consumer who still plays older Sony consoles. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Sony to replace their legacy systems with current gen systems when they remove them from the service. PSVR is approaching its third birthday and within its library of hundreds of games I'm sure they can find some decent indie ones which aren't still selling like hotcakes so the devs won't charge them millions for offering them on Plus.

I think it's poor show to make the service flat out inferior without a hint of goodwill. They don't need to offer four VR games every month to replace PS3 and Vita but not even one? tt just feels like the service that was praised as one of the best deals in gaming before the PS4 has now turned into being strictly a barrier to get us to pay for online play. I find that disappointing.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Any impressions on Space Junkies? I would probably go for it on Oculus but I really need to dust off my PSVR so if it's any good, I'll bite there.

It's really fun, but needs to be almost half the price. If you don't care about the 40 price go for it, you'll have lots of fun and it's very polished, just lacks tons of content. Also, it's DS4 only, doesn't bother me, but will matter for some.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fun, but needs to be almost half the price. If you don't care about the 40 price go for it, you'll have lots of fun and it's very polished, just lacks tons of content. Also, it's DS4 only, doesn't bother me, but will matter for some.

I don't necessarily care about having to play with the DS4, but I heard the controls are somewhat iffy. Did you notice any problems with them?

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't necessarily care about having to play with the DS4, but I heard the controls are somewhat iffy. Did you notice any problems with them?

The biggest drawback for me is not having freedom to controls your hands separately. Being a dual wield shooter, that would be nice. Plus it's fun to dance during the level up screen heh. It takes getting used to at first, especially things like using the sword, but after I got adjusted I've been winning round after round so didn't bother me other than not as immersive.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I might check it out. If the content is that limited I might wait for a sale, though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The biggest drawback for me is not having freedom to controls your hands separately. Being a dual wield shooter, that would be nice. Plus it's fun to dance during the level up screen heh. It takes getting used to at first, especially things like using the sword, but after I got adjusted I've been winning round after round so didn't bother me other than not as immersive.

It is quite baffling that they didn't add Move support. I wonder what's the rationale behid it.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks! I might check it out. If the content is that limited I might wait for a sale, though.

Np. I definitely recommend waiting for a sale, but it's fun. I expect it to be on sale sooner than later.

It is quite baffling that they didn't add Move support. I wonder what's the rationale behid it.

Not as baffling as the 40 price. But those combined I think are gonna crush their sales. They also had move support listed on psn day 1 which was a big oopsy.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Maybe I SHOULD get a PSVR. I'm missing out on a free game every month"

I really think it would increase the hardware sales numbers.

They won't do this until the sales of the games bottom out, which likley isn't happening since most PSVR owners often wait for the fire sales Sony puts on every 3 months or so to stock up on more VR titles. The NMS VR expansion in Beyond will likely sell a million or more PSVR units alone between the people that already own NMS and the people that swore they would only get the game if it was in VR. A free game a month wouldn't do that kind of business.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not as baffling as the 40 price. But those combined I think are gonna crush their sales. They also had move support listed on psn day 1 which was a big oopsy.

I'm fine with devs pricing games however they want (especially in the modern world of deep discounts), and I can at least see a reason to price your game $40. But not adding Move support for your game with dual handguns?

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm fine with devs pricing games however they want (especially in the modern world of deep discounts), and I can at least see a reason to price your game $40. But not adding Move support for your game with dual handguns?

Touche, I really don't get it either tbh. Snap turning as well, although it Causes some frame jitter, 99% of the time I find out it just doesn't cross their mind. This is why it's important we be very vocal about these things, they don't have anyone else to tell them. Options means life or death for psvr games.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Any idea if Fallout 4 will ever come to PSVR?

I thought we would see it announced before No Man's Sky. At this point I'm guessing it's never coming.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea if Fallout 4 will ever come to PSVR?

I thought we would see it announced before No Man's Sky. At this point I'm guessing it's never coming.

Doubtful. Skyrim was really barebones in VR, and that was a much older game. Getting Fallout 4 to run at 60 fps on an old school PS4 seems unreasonable to say the least. I'd wager it will probably show up on the PSVR 2 when it's released.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
For games that play with the Aim controller, does it let move your hand like a Move controller or your "hands" are static?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Just a correction : when PS5 is released :p
Since the actual processing for PSVR is in the console, that's kind of a given.

My money's still on PSVR2 being released at least a year or two into the PS5 cycle; if it comes out at the same time as the PS5, I think the whole package will be prohibitively expensive and people will forgo upgrading their PSVR. I sure hope Sony's got better Move controllers as part of the PSVR2 package, though.