• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Hey everybody, quick question:
I'm about to rent Playstation VR for about one month. So far I have planned to play through Astro Bot and Resident Evil VII while I have it, but I wondered: is it worth it to also rent a Playstation Move controller for those particular games? Or is it already immersive enough with the standard Dualshock controller?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to rent Playstation VR for about one month. So far I have planned to play through Astro Bot and Resident Evil VII while I have it, but I wondered: is it worth it to also rent a Playstation Move controller for those particular games? Or is it already immersive enough with the standard Dualshock controller?

These games don't work with the moves.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd highly suggest getting some moves and try Superhot VR and beat saber (saying this, have yet to try beat saber myself).

Also my personal favorite, From's Déraciné.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
As others have said, you don't need Moves for those particular games. However it's really worth trying them with a different game if it's possible for you to rent them. Having fully tracked hands adds a whole other level to the VR experience.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Have you done VR before? If not, I'd strongly recommend trying a number of free demos (there's tons of them on the store, both singly and in Sony's two downloadable "demo disc" collections) before jumping into those two games. A small (AFAICT) number of people have had some motion sickness issues with Astro Bot, mainly in the first level or two (which may just indicate that they got used to it), and RE7 is a pretty intense experience to just jump into.

VR motion sickness is a real thing, but so is acquiring your "VR legs". Over time - a week or two for most - your brain will adjust to the disconnect between your eyes telling you your body is moving and your body saying "No I'm not!". If you start to feel queasy, take a break for the rest of the day - trying to tough it out could lead to your brain automatically associating VR with nausea.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has little to no interest in rhythm games, and is all about those long form immersive full games like NMSVR and BL2VR etc......

Beatsaber is the real deal. I don't even like most of the songs (they need some more house, garage, dnb, grime, hip-hop, trap/dubstep, dancehall etc ....... 🙄)

Anyways, go get it..... Right now! Why are you still here reading?

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has little to no interest in rhythm games, and is all about those long form immersive full games like NMSVR and BL2VR etc......

Beatsaber is the real deal. I don't even like most of the songs (they need some more house, garage, dnb, grime, hip-hop, trap/dubstep, dancehall etc ....... 🙄)

Seconded.
This game is amazing, and definitely worth the $30 asking price

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Wow. I thought this was mostly tracks in those styles.

I need me some of all types of Rock personally. 60s to now and some metal peppered in.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man

I was playing skyrim in VR. It had been awhile and I started an old save.
In game, the colors were all wrong. Everything was green.
Restarted everything, checked the cables. Nope, still wrong.

Turns out, it was Brelynas spell "everything is green'.. but for a moment I thought something was seriously wrong with my headset.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man

I was playing skyrim in VR. It had been awhile and I started an old save.
In game, the colors were all wrong. Everything was green.
Restarted everything, checked the cables. Nope, still wrong.

Turns out, it was Brelynas spell "everything is green'.. but for a moment I thought something was seriously wrong with my headset.

haha it would have made sense ! Same thing happen to me in Borderland 2 vr, the game just became very blurry.... for no reason. Un ps4 restart then everyting went back fine.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I did it!

Got my Blood and Truth/Everybodys golf bundle and the firewall aim bundle.

Very strange that everybody golf comes as a digital code but they gave me a disc and case for VR demo 3. But whatever.

So I own these games so far

The Persistence
Moss
Blood and Truth
PSVR worlds
Farpoint
Rez
Accounting+
Archangel
Battle zone
Thumper
Batman arkham VR
Firewall
Arizona Sunshine
Killing Floor incursion
Carnival games VR
Dick Wilde
Eagle Flight
Everybody's Golf
Werewolves Within
Star blood Arena
Rigs
Until Dawn Rush Of Blood
Driveclub VR
100 Ft Robot Golf
Here They Lie
Tumble VR
Super stardust ultra VR

Need to get AstroBot asap.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I did it!

Got my Blood and Truth/Everybodys golf bundle and the firewall aim bundle.

Very strange that everybody golf comes as a digital code but they gave me a disc and case for VR demo 3. But whatever.

So I own these games so far

The Persistence
Moss
Blood and Truth
PSVR worlds
Farpoint
Rez
Accounting+
Archangel
Battle zone
Thumper
Batman arkham VR
Firewall
Arizona Sunshine
Killing Floor incursion
Carnival games VR
Dick Wilde
Eagle Flight
Everybody's Golf
Werewolves Within
Star blood Arena
Rigs
Until Dawn Rush Of Blood
Driveclub VR
100 Ft Robot Golf
Here They Lie
Tumble VR
Super stardust ultra VR

Need to get AstroBot asap.
That's a crazy amount of games for your first day with a gaming system. Make sure you try Wipeout Omega Collection and Resident Evil 7 too if you haven't played them on the flat screen already. Some of the absolute best experiences you can have in VR.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
That's a crazy amount of games for your first day with a gaming system. Make sure you try Wipeout Omega Collection and Resident Evil 7 too if you haven't played them on the flat screen already. Some of the absolute best experiences you can have in VR.
Ha, I completely forgot I have those two as well! I guess I should look through my other games and find out what other ones I have that are VR compatible.I got wipeout with ps plus and RE7 I bought and have purposely saved it until I got PSVR. Wanted to experience it in VR first.

And I knew I was always going to get a PSVR so I had been buying games here and there over the last couple years when i saw them really cheap.

Gonna start digging in tomorrow night. Very excited.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I completely forgot I have those two as well! I guess I should look through my other games and find out what other ones I have that are VR compatible.I got wipeout with ps plus and RE7 I bought and have purposely saved it until I got PSVR. Wanted to experience it in VR first.

And I knew I was always going to get a PSVR so I had been buying games here and there over the last couple years when i saw them really cheap.

Gonna start digging in tomorrow night. Very excited.
Wipeout: Omega Collection in particular is for some reason a game that many seem to forget is in VR. It's rarely present in any Top XX PS VR Games lists but it's really a magnificent showcase for the platform and has more lasting appeal than most VR games. It might be a good game to wait a bit with though until you have some "VR legs" since it can cause motion sickness. Hope you enjoy. VR really is a whole new generation of gaming.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So I'm in love. The quality of PSVR is above my expectations. I was worried the graphics would be bad, or the screen door effect would be too much, or that even I wouldn't be able to handle it but none of those were an issue so far but its early going

First up was PSVR Worlds

I started with Ocean Descent to get my feet wet and I was blown away. I had the biggest grin on my face the whole time. I need to see if their is any other games that take place underwater. The oceans fascinate and terrify me. I need more.
Moved on to Danger Ball which was a blast. Honestly wish this was a full game with multiplayer.Vr Luge didnt do much for me and after two races I had seen enough. I decided to hold off on scavengers odyssey for now.

Then dipped my toes into some of the free stuff. Spider-Man Homecoming was okay I guess, not much there and it was over very quickly. Felt like a tech demo.

The Last Guardian was pretty good. The sense of scale was wonderous even if the gameplay was fairly boring. The feeling of riding on his back was exhilarating. Give me a neverending story game now 😂

After that I played around with some videos. Chainsmokers, jacob Bell. Both were okay I guess but I'll never revisit and will likely never use them to demo it to others. I messed around on youtube a bit. Watched a few music videos, some VR thing for IT which was more intense than i thought it would be then decided to play The Kitchen Demo which physically made me jump.

So far so good, but just trying to take it slow and not jump into too heavy of experiences. Will most likely play Accounting + next

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in love. The quality of PSVR is above my expectations. I was worried the graphics would be bad, or the screen door effect would be too much, or that even I wouldn't be able to handle it but none of those were an issue so far but its early going

First up was PSVR Worlds

I started with Ocean Descent to get my feet wet and I was blown away. I had the biggest grin on my face the whole time. I need to see if their is any other games that take place underwater. The oceans fascinate and terrify me. I need more.
Moved on to Danger Ball which was a blast. Honestly wish this was a full game with multiplayer.Vr Luge didnt do much for me and after two races I had seen enough. I decided to hold off on scavengers odyssey for now.

Then dipped my toes into some of the free stuff. Spider-Man Homecoming was okay I guess, not much there and it was over very quickly. Felt like a tech demo.

The Last Guardian was pretty good. The sense of scale was wonderous even if the gameplay was fairly boring. The feeling of riding on his back was exhilarating. Give me a neverending story game now 😂

After that I played around with some videos. Chainsmokers, jacob Bell. Both were okay I guess but I'll never revisit and will likely never use them to demo it to others. I messed around on youtube a bit. Watched a few music videos, some VR thing for IT which was more intense than i thought it would be then decided to play The Kitchen Demo which physically made me jump.

So far so good, but just trying to take it slow and not jump into too heavy of experiences. Will most likely play Accounting + next

Good to hear you're having fun with your PSVR! It's a lovely piece of equipment, and you have a lot of great games to play through as well. From your list I'd recommend Moss (and Astro Boy, if you bought it) as one of the best experiences for the system that isn't too taxing nausea-wise for a VR beginner.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished Blood and Truth.

Fantastic game really. The last 2 missions or so were a rush of adrenaline and so much fun.

Really liked the idea of aiming down the sights, but afraid sometime it didn't work well for me due to tracking issues. The moves probably blocked each other / the headset. It wasn't an issue usually, but really felt it in the car chases when I needed more precision. Or maybe simply I wasn't good enough...

Also liked the little things like climbing ladders and the like. Really enhanced in VR.

I think I'll give it another play through, though probably on Normal again since I'm not that good at it.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

First up was PSVR Worlds

For free stuff don't forget Playroom VR. While some are multi-player (which are fun too) only, robot rescue, toy room war and diorama are single player and really well done.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Finally only one more week to go until Last Labyrinth finally comes out. That second trailer (just saw it since it went up on the Playstation youtube channel) looked really nice.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
For those games the camera position is probably not gonna be a problem, but if you ever get the moves to play something like Superhot VR make sure you can place the camera up high (over your height) to have a better experience.

And I am not sure playing RE7 as a first VR experience is a good choice, can be quite nauseating. I never played Astrobot, only the 'demo' released way early and I had got a bit dizzy playing that as well. Maybe go for some more static experiences first?

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Good to hear you're having fun with your PSVR! It's a lovely piece of equipment, and you have a lot of great games to play through as well. From your list I'd recommend Moss (and Astro Boy, if you bought it) as one of the best experiences for the system that isn't too taxing nausea-wise for a VR beginner.
For free stuff don't forget Playroom VR. While some are multi-player (which are fun too) only, robot rescue, toy room war and diorama are single player and really well done.
Thanks for the recs!

I've been reading through this entire thread and have learned of many games I hadnt before so it's been a useful tool.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I played through what I could on rec room.Robot rescue mission was so fucking good. I need Astro bot asap. So damn charming.

I found Bravo Team physical new today for $10 and figured why not.

And I played through Accounting+. It was okay. Let down a bit. I enjoy rick and morty but I'm not a hardcore fan. I did laugh a few times but other times I just felt annoyed. Having some character screaming fuck you! At me over and over just isnt entertaining. The game was honestly getting on my nerves at times which I didnt expect. But it wasnt constant just more of an inconsistent ride. I know it has different paths but I'm not sure I would play through again. I may let someone else and watch on tv.

5/10

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Said fuck it, decided to play scavengers odyssey to finish off PSVR Worlds after London Heist.

Not going to lie, I had to break in between the two parts of the game. I didnt get overly sick or anything, but I was definitely sweating more than normal and feeling some discomfort. I did part 1 then took a 30 minute break and had some ginger ale then went back and finish it off.

The game itself had a lot of potential but mostly was just okay and pretty repetitive. Felt like all the platforming was unnecessary and they could have made a stronger game by putting more effort into the combat.

London Heist was seriously great. Just simple things like lighting the cigar made me giddy. Rhe shooting sections were a blast. I cant wait to play Blood and Truth because I felt like just got a taste.

Overall PSVR Worlds was 3/5 on the games for me. Ocean Descent will definitely be one I show to people first so I'll keep the game installed. Makes perfect sense that london heist was the knethey basically expanded on but I want more danger ball.

6/10

Not sure what I'll play tomorrow! Might try out more of the free stuff just to clear it off my storage.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Seems this year's PS VR Black Friday bundle might be the headset + camera + five games (RE7, Skyrim, Everybody's Golf, PS VR Worlds and Astro Bot) for $199 USD. No Moves but that's expected at this price. Even better than last year where it was Astro Bot + Moss for $199.

This is from Target but it's likely that it will be available at most retailers.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the $199 price on another Black Friday ad so that may be universal, however, those five bundled games look to be a Target specific deal. Those are a great set of games!

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the $199 price on another Black Friday ad so that may be universal, however, those five bundled games look to be a Target specific deal. Those are a great set of games!
Would be a weird move of Sony to just team up just with Target for a bundle like that. There's no way that it was Target's own initiative to slap together a bundle with five games like that. I expect to see this as the big holiday bundle but you could be right. We'll see in a few weeks.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would be a weird move of Sony to just team up just with Target for a bundle like that. There's no way that it was Target's own initiative to slap together a bundle with five games like that. I expect to see this as the big holiday bundle but you could be right. We'll see in a few weeks.
Was everybody's golf playable withhout a move?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Was everybody's golf playable withhout a move?
From what I understand, yes, but I haven't actually played the game so I don't know how that works. Both the final NA and EU box art show no indication of a Move being required and neither does the PSN description. It only says "Enhanced play with 1 PS®Move controller". So, I think it's fair to assume that it works without Moves.

Stock pictures on eBay show it requiring one Move so maybe that was the initial idea but listings with actual pictures of the game they are selling show no hints of that.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Finished Batman Arkham VR

LOVED IT. It's short but man, I dont think I stopped smiling once except the ending sequence which was just a well done horror vibe. Makes me wish they'd come out with a longer game. I'd take a whole game of nothing but Detective Batman, solving puzzles and working crime scenes and interrogating people. Seeing yourself in the mirror and playing around in the bat cave was just joyous. Again, the length is my only complaint. That and it would have been so cool to actually drive in the batmobile or bat wing.

8/10

VR makes me feel like a kid again discovering video games for the first time. I can't get over how immersive it is. Looking forward to diving into some longer experiences at some point. It's going to be hard to go back to regular games.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Finished Batman Arkham VR

LOVED IT. It's short but man, I dont think I stopped smiling once except the ending sequence which was just a well done horror vibe. Makes me wish they'd come out with a longer game. I'd take a whole game of nothing but Detective Batman, solving puzzles and working crime scenes and interrogating people. Seeing yourself in the mirror and playing around in the bat cave was just joyous. Again, the length is my only complaint. That and it would have been so cool to actually drive in the batmobile or bat wing.
The end of that game is so wonderfully creepy. The scariest game I've played in VR, since I'm too cowardly to go more than 20 minutes in RE7.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy sent me a wheel/pedal stand for my Logitech racing wheel for Christmas/Wedding present (arrived yesterday), and I'm so glad I bought the Dirt VR bundle when it was 10 bucks however long ago that was.
I haven't touched my PSVR in about a year probably (shame on me), but this is the most wild experience. It's so challenging but my god, so much fun.

Of course I had to fall in love with this game right when Death Stranding is coming, which also seems like a bizarre game I'm going to love. I work in logistics so the idea of being a post apocalyptic UPS man seems so hilarious to me.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Blood and Truth.

Fantastic game really. The last 2 missions or so were a rush of adrenaline and so much fun.

Really liked the idea of aiming down the sights, but afraid sometime it didn't work well for me due to tracking issues. The moves probably blocked each other / the headset. It wasn't an issue usually, but really felt it in the car chases when I needed more precision. Or maybe simply I wasn't good enough...

Also liked the little things like climbing ladders and the like. Really enhanced in VR.

I think I'll give it another play through, though probably on Normal again since I'm not that good at it.

The climax of Blood and Truth is great because it makes use of every single mechanic you've learned over the course of the game. All of those elements come together in such a gripping finale. The story is solid, the graphics are outstanding, and the gameplay is really satisfying. For my money, it is as essential as Astro Bot.

defiant04

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The climax of Blood and Truth is great because it makes use of every single mechanic you've learned over the course of the game. All of those elements come together in such a gripping finale. The story is solid, the graphics are outstanding, and the gameplay is really satisfying. For my money, it is as essential as Astro Bot.

Damn, you're making me wish i bought it on sale for $25. hopeful it will fall to that price or lower again soon.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Finished Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

So good! I think this was my favorite experience so far. It made me jump several times and I felt like an idiot but in the best way possible. Moves worked well for me, graphics were good, and I played through in 1 sitting no breaks because I was so entranced. I would love a sequel. It's crazy to think super massive nailed this game and then released two apparent duds. Should have just made another of these. Though I'll play through bravo team and Inpatient at some point.

9/10

Clive

Oct 25, 2017

So good! I think this was my favorite experience so far. It made me jump several times and I felt like an idiot but in the best way possible. Moves worked well for me, graphics were good, and I played through in 1 sitting no breaks because I was so entranced. I would love a sequel. It's crazy to think super massive nailed this game and then released two apparent duds. Should have just made another of these. Though I'll play through bravo team and Inpatient at some point.

9/10
Totally agree. I consider Rush of Blood to be one of the best experiences this gen, period, across all consoles and peripherals. It may only be 2 hours long for a playthrough but those hours are so good. The spider level in particular is one of the best moments I've ever had in gaming. The final boss is damn epic too even if they could have made a little more with it. One of the PSVR games I will absolutely bring out and replay occasionally.

The Inpatient is sadly one of my least favorite games this gen. It looks great but the story only has a couple of interesting moments during its two hours of play time and it's very slow making it a chore to replay for different outcomes. The atmospheric or scary moments are few and far between too.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

9/10
Have you played RE7 and the persistence?

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Totally agree. I consider Rush of Blood to be one of the best experiences this gen, period, across all consoles and peripherals. It may only be 2 hours long for a playthrough but those hours are so good. The spider level in particular is one of the best moments I've ever had in gaming. The final boss is damn epic too even if they could have made a little more with it. One of the PSVR games I will absolutely bring out and replay occasionally.

The Inpatient is sadly one of my least favorite games this gen. It looks great but the story only has a couple of interesting moments during its two hours of play time and it's very slow making it a chore to replay for different outcomes. The atmospheric or scary moments are few and far between too.
Yes, this will be one I keep installed to show guests and play again at some point on harder difficulties.

Shame that inpatient isnt good. Still, I feel like I have to at least try it. I'm in my honeymoon phase and want to play every VR game 😂

Have you played RE7 and the persistence?
I own them but havent played them yet. It's still my first couple weeks so I wanted to gradually work up to longer games.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am about to get a PSVR this BF, anyone care to tell me what their experience is like when wearing glasses? do they get in the way or scratch the lenses?, thanks!