• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Reposting our discord channel link in case anybody wants to join.

Even if you're considering to get one, feel free to join and chat about it, maybe it will change your mind :)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 27, 2017
Read through whole thread, here are some random thoughts:

I bought standart Twin Move Pack, that one — https://www.gamesmen.com.au/media/c...8d27136e95/p/l/playstation_move_twin_pack.jpg— while pack is new, moves are old model with mini USB. Anyway, I absolutely wanted some cradle or charging station, like the oficial one for DS4 — and there is such thing for moves, but it was hard to find, because it was for PS3 Moves. Looks like this, fully compatible with my moves, not sure about new models.

Interesting thing about these old model of moves — originally they want to charge ONLY if connected to PS4 that is turned on, even in sleep mode they won't charge — someone asked about it here in thread. You cant just use phone charger. That's due to some special usb–cable requirement — if you really want charge them with your normal ac, you can buy this. This adapter is also included in that charging dock I talked about earlier.

Some words about my setup — I'm happy I was able to hide whole mess of cables that is PSVR currently.

That how it looks from outside:

45ABmwO.jpg

PSVR itself is in the right side box:

adEiZvR.jpg

With PS4 Slim, if I want to use PSVR I need to connect that usb cable, maybe later I'll upgrade to PRO so I can leave it in rear USB, but that's not really a problem when I need to put out goggles and moves anyway, that clean look is worth it, I think. Another detail — if I just want to play relular ps4, it works just fine without breakout box connected via USB — hdmi signal goes through without issues.

As for games, I'm currently happy with my VR library (Superhot, Rez, Thumper, Stardust, Polybius, Statik, Accounting, Fruit Ninja, VR Worlds and GT Sport, plus some free apps and demos), will also buy Ultrawings for that sence of flying. Maybe my taste is bit weird, but I tend to enjoy games with abstract graphics much more — while there is some realistic looking games, PS4 is clearly too weak for this kind of visuals, so I'm noticing downsides immediately. On the other hand, Superhot, Rez, Polybius, Battlezone looking awesome and it's absolutely unreal to be able to be inside of such kind of world.

In the end of the day, I absolutely like what I got with PSVR, it's already got amazing library, even if Sony will abandon it right now (lol) there is lot of great stuff to check. I have feeling that E3 '18 will be absolutely amazing, can't wait.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Damn, that'll teach me to wait until the last minute to preorder. I can't get The Inpatient from Best Buy online or at any stores near me. Guess I'll have to sit tight and wait for a replenishment post-release.

I could probably get it through another retailer, but GCU and I also have a gift card I got for Christmas.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I'm thinking about buying this soon, my 5 year old son's birthday is coming up and he has been asking for a VR headset for a while, of course i will enjoy this too as well as my 11 year old son. I have a PS Pro btw.

What are the best games to get for kids?

I own GT Sport and will probably get Skyrim for me

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm thinking about buying this soon, my 5 year old son's birthday is coming up and he has been asking for a VR headset for a while, of course i will enjoy this too as well as my 11 year old son. I have a PS Pro btw.

Hmm, maybe Job Simulator? There's also Eagle Flight, Robinson: The Journey, Dino Frontier, Rec Room, and check out the Moss demo when you can as it's one of the best 3rd person VR games I've played.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017

I think the reccomende safety use of PSVR is from 12 years of age... for sure 5 year old is too young, but don't ask me why or how they determine that.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reccomende safety use of PSVR is from 12 years of age... for sure 5 year old is too young, but don't ask me why or how they determine that.

Essentialy there are worries that vr might have a negative impact on the development of your eyesight when you're young. This is not confirmed at the moment, but as long as there is the possibility of a risk most companies want to cover themselves so that they aren't sued if this becomes an issue down the line. My take is that while I wouldn't have a problem letting a child try my vr headset occasionaly, I doubt I would buy a set for a child. Even though it seems questionable that there is an issue, there is just no reason to risk it for something that is just used for entertainment.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/is-vr-safe-for-kids-we-asked-the-experts/amp/

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

For kids, Carnival is a great game my kids love it (age 5-7-9-11). My 9 year old really likes Pixel Gear. The Playroom is also a favorite in my household (and it's free).

I'd be careful letting a 5 year old use VR often and for long period. I let my kids use in 15 minute secession less than once a week. I have occasionally let them use 15 minute secession twice in the same day. VR is very powerful in the way it fool the brain and I certainly can see it affecting accommodation reflexes and dept perception process.
There is plenty of testimony of people whom PSVR 'taugh' their brain to see dept (they had dept perception disability). Same with motion sickness (outside VR). Don't dismiss the warning as just 'general blanket warning'. Small amount of use is not likely to cause harm, but we don't know enough about the development process of the neuro-vision to guess all the potiential harm.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I don't recall seeing this mentioned, apologies if covering old ground.

Sony To Launch 'Lost In Music' VR Campaign With Khalid
https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/sony-to-launch-lost-in-music-vr-campaign-with-khalid/

Sony Corporation has announced the second instalment of its brand campaign, called 'Lost in Music'. The brand campaign consists of live music events and a virtual reality (VR) music video for PlayStation VR, both featuring Grammy Award nominee singer and songwriter, Khalid.

The new VR music video from Khalid will debut on 15th March 2018, at SXSW. The video will then be available on the PlayStation Store from spring 2018 to be enjoyed on PlayStation VR. No specific release date or pricing details have yet been made available.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is still hiring strong for their VR games and software with 26 positions currently advertised:
https://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/j...ocations/0/Departments/0/jobtype/0/keyword/VR

London Studio is developing Blood & Truth, and has advertised about 10-15 roles. Some interesting tidbits:
You will design, develop, and maintain graphics systems & architecture in our proprietary VR engine
creating never before experienced Virtual Reality gameplay
Integration experience of physics to augment motion-capture playback, for example: simulating cloth; secondary motion; ragdoll; skeletal-IK to the environment.
You'll be joining a multi-discipline team in the process of creating new experiences

About 10 in Manchester Studio for an unknown game in Unreal Engine, with the following attributes:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new team creating a high quality, original game for PlayStation VR.
We are looking for a Graphic Designer / Artist that will be excited by the challenge of creating a visually impressive game within the constraints of VR.
Translate the vision for the game into compelling gameplay, missions, systems and mechanics.
Designing & creating compelling & memorable missions, blending core game mechanics in varied and exciting ways.
Designing & creating compelling game systems, e.g. gameplay mechanics, upgrade systems, menu/front end interfaces, game economy balancing.
Terrain / Landscape modelling experience, Advanced understanding of PBR shading materials, Realistic natural texture creation
Proven track record of creating high quality realistic particle effects and materials, Experience of PhysX simulation and authoring
Ensure the game runs consistently at 60fps (ie. not a 90fps or 120fps game)
Expertise in rendering, networking or AI programming an advantage

And there are a couple of roles at R&D West (London), looks like for API's and plugins to allow other developers to more easily develop PS VR games:
work on a number of VR applications and technologies on current PlayStation platforms
working with the team designer and artists to create front-end experiences for non-game applications in Unity. This will include 3D environments, menus and other UI.
Experience of 360, 4k and HDR video
Experience making Unity plug-ins

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
On 11-Jan @NextVR tweeted the following but then later deleted the tweet. It seems that the app isn't yet available in the mentioned PSN stores so may be delayed.

Unlike the NBA app you can simply download NextVR with a US account and start in with your "regular" local account in the meantime.

But I do wonder if it will have region specific programming in the end.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my PSVR came! it's a gen one headset which is fine but the heavier cable does suck but I'll get used to it.

I'm back in the VR world. I forgot how good it is. Excited to play thumper.

Driveclub vr is the full driveclub game?

The xwing vr mission was sooo good. Are there any other games like it? Also what are some of the lengthier games. I understand why many games are short but was hoping to get something meaty.

Supreme Allah

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
my PSVR came! it's a gen one headset which is fine but the heavier cable does suck but I'll get used to it.

I'm back in the VR world. I forgot how good it is. Excited to play thumper.

Driveclub vr is the full driveclub game?

The xwing vr mission was sooo good. Are there any other games like it? Also what are some of the lengthier games. I understand why many games are short but was hoping to get something meaty.

The Jack Assault experience is similar and also better, and its free.

Lengthy games: RE7, Skyrim, Farpoint.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I bought I Expect You To Die today, that discount was great. A meal at McDonald's is usually more expensive.

Still no psvr though, hope the new one gets here soon!