• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I think that after months of hesitation I will just risk it and buy PSVR this March finally as a birthday present for me (especially since this year there are not too many games that interest me so this may be a good year to do it). I still have a lot of doubts that I hope will turn out to be non-issue (the accessory is still quite expensive though it did come down in price quite a bit).

Those things are (and sorry if they came out in this thread a lot):
- I will have a huge motion sickness that will prevent me from playing it (i get sick in a bus quite easily)
- picture quality will be just too poor for me to enjoy it (I am sensitive about this)
- my room is simply too small to use it comfortably (though it helps that I learnt that camera can be anywhere so I can try a few things - question about that below)
- turning it on will be cumbersome and will prevent me from playing. I will need to unplug it every time and put into the box as I have a small kid (and that's why I will be only able to play once he goes to sleep)

So yeah, a lot of doubts and issues that it can probably just not work for me and that prevented me from jumping in earlier. But at the same time, I am a huge gadgets fan and I love new technologies (and obviously VR was something I dreamt of since childhood), so I am finally prepared to risk it even though I have no place where I could actually tried it (I only tried VR with Google Cardboard and it was a very disappointing experience).

Ok, so my complaining section is over (those are just concerns really) :) now for the question.

How long is the PS Camera cable? Is it possible to buy some extension if it turns out too short?
Regarding motion-sickness, the biggest help (as far as I've read, I don't have it myself) is to stop AS SOON AS YOU FEEL QUEASY.

Take a break, come back later. Do not try to power through it, as you'll only get worse. Then you will gradually build up a tolerance.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Regarding motion-sickness, the biggest help (as far as I've read, I don't have it myself) is to stop AS SOON AS YOU FEEL QUEASY.

Take a break, come back later. Do not try to power through it, as you'll only get worse. Then you will gradually build up a tolerance.

As someone who does suffer from it, this is 100% correct in my experience. As soon as you start to feel bad (usually nausea, dizziness, sweat/hot flush), stop immediately. If you keep going, you can end up feeling terrible for hours.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017

Ok, thank you for the advice.

As someone who does suffer from it, this is 100% correct in my experience. As soon as you start to feel bad (usually nausea, dizziness, sweat/hot flush), stop immediately. If you keep going, you can end up feeling terrible for hours.

Would you say that it is possible to get better with this (with time) from your experience or you just stick to things that are a bit easier on you?

Edit: NVM I just noticed you previous post on the previous page. So it looks like it is not 100% certain that I'll have problems even if I get sick on bus.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hmm, do you mean the camera cable or the headset cable length? I'm not worried about the headset, more about the camera. I could put it on a table in front of me instead of under / over the TV (as my setup is that I cannot sit directly in front of the TV unfortunately unless it's very close to it). That's why I thought of putting it on a table or cupboard in front of me and just sit opposite. Though I heard that the camera cable is just 2m (6.5 feet) so that's too short for me. I'd need it to be about twice as long so it is not stretched as some kind of Home Alone style contraption. I found that there is some extension cable on Amazon, but from the comments it looks like it does not work (either at all or breaks connection at times) for some of buyers.

When I buy it, I will still probably find a way to set it up. Though I'd wish I could avoid some cumbersome chair in the middle of a room that I need to bring every time that I need to play or moving a lot of furnitures around. I guess the cabling is a huge obstacle right now. And I also don't like Sony for being Sony and using some kind of proprietary cable for camera :( I thought this is something that they left behind.

And I live in Poland. None of my friends has PSVR unfortunately and I was looking at store around and I also never seen a demo set up in stores near me (though I admit that I rarely go to stores these days).

I may be overthinking all of this, but I almost bought it at least 3 times and every time all those thoughts hold me back, even though I also feel like this may be something that I'll love.

Ah, very sorry about that. Yes, I was talking about the headset cable. The camera cable is not that long (2m sounds about right) so you'll probably need an extension.

Edit: NVM I just noticed you previous post on the previous page. So it looks like it is not 100% certain that I'll have problems even if I get sick on bus.

I get sick on the bus when reading / playing portable games too, especially now that I rarely do both at once. Decades ago when I was in college and went by bus every day, I could read books with no issue, so there's also a "tolerance" effect there, but a "separate" one (VR legs haven't made me immune to bus dizziness. :) ).

The "sickness" or "dizzyness" from VR is different, I think. When I read on the bus is more of a stomach upset thing. When doing stuff in VR you're not used to, it's more of a spinning / drifting dizzyness. I've never had it really bad because I always stopped when something started to make me dizzy, which was quite a few things at first (especially smooth locomotion). Nowadays the only thing that makes me a bit dizzy is smooth turning, and again it's most certainly because of lack of practice as I almost always leave snap turning on.

Last edited:

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, very sorry about that. Yes, I was talking about the headset cable. The camera cable is not that long (2m sounds about right) so you'll probably need an extension.

No problem at all :) Thank you for your thoughts. They are really helpful. Well, maybe this time I will finally not chicken out at the last time :D

I get sick on the bus when reading / playing portable games too, especially now that I rarely do both at once.
Well lucky you, for me it's enough to just sit there :D Even trying about playing or reading something would end in a distastes. Thankfully I don't need to be on a bus anymore and planes, trains and automobiles are mostly fine ;)

I also had a look at the OP and link to the recommenced games but I'm wondering what are some recommended experiences for a complete non-gamer (so absolutely no button pressing :)). I know that there's Ocean Descent but I looked at PS Store and it's organised pretty poorly so it's difficult to discover things I think.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I also had a look at the OP and link to the recommenced games but I'm wondering what are some recommended experiences for a complete non-gamer (so absolutely no button pressing :)). I know that there's Ocean Descent but I looked at PS Store and it's organised pretty poorly so it's difficult to discover things I think.

Both my and my wife's parents (who are in their 70s and 80s) tried and really enjoyed the Last Guardian demo. It does need you to press X occasionally but what we did was keep hold of the controller and press it for them. All they need to do is look in the right direction. It's also one of the more impressive VR experiences on PSVR I think, there's a great sense of scale and it looks great. It's also free, so it's got that going for it too :)

Ocean Descent is another good one.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Both my and my wife's parents (who are in their 70s and 80s) tried and really enjoyed the Last Guardian demo. It does need you to press X occasionally but what we did was keep hold of the controller and press it for them. All they need to do is look in the right direction. It's also one of the more impressive VR experiences on PSVR I think, there's a great sense of scale and it looks great. It's also free, so it's got that going for it too :)

Ocean Descent is another good one.

it's a bit baffling that there's so very few PSVR "experiences". Ocean Descent, Last Guardian and Allumette are pretty much it, unless you go for straight out VR movies.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
it's a bit baffling that there's so very few PSVR "experiences". Ocean Descent, Last Guardian and Allumette are pretty much it, unless you go for straight out VR movies.

Oh, that's a shame. I mean, it's fine for me as my list of games that I would really like to play is over 40 titles long so even if nothing else come out I'm basically set, but I would also like to show this off to my wife and my parents. They are not interested in games though and never really played any so probably having to press anything could be too big of a barrier. I thought that maybe there are some things just to watch because it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Is there any way to launch some 3D 360 videos at least or are those just flat 360?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Oh, that's a shame. I mean, it's fine for me as my list of games that I would really like to play is over 40 titles long so even if nothing else come out I'm basically set, but I would also like to show this off to my wife and my parents. They are not interested in games though and never really played any so probably having to press anything could be too big of a barrier. I thought that maybe there are some things just to watch because it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Is there any way to launch some 3D 360 videos at least or are those just flat 360?
Are you getting PS Moves? They're far less intimidating than the DS4 for people who aren't used to video games. I think Job Simulator would be easy enough for anyone to play, and it's very, very funny watching people play it so it's a good social game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

You can watch 3D videos with Littlstar ("normal" i.e. 3D movies, 180 and 360) but you need to sideload them (copy them to a pendrive and plug them into an USB port).

Beyond that, the thing is that VR games are very attractive to non-gamers due to how "physical" or 1:1 with reality they are, especially with the Moves. It's a bit like Wii Sports in that sense, but even more. I can imagine games like Beat Saber (which I don't have but I believe uses no buttons), SuperHot (which only uses the triggers, in a thoroughtly intuitive way) and so on would be instantly understandable and fun for any non-gamer.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Are you getting PS Moves? They're far less intimidating than the DS4 for people who aren't used to video games. I think Job Simulator would be easy enough for anyone to play, and it's very, very funny watching people play it so it's a good social game.

Beyond that, the thing is that VR games are very attractive to non-gamers due to how "physical" or 1:1 with reality they are, especially with the Moves. It's a bit like Wii Sports in that sense, but even more. I can imagine games like Beat Saber (which I don't have but I believe uses no buttons), SuperHot (which only uses the triggers, in a thoroughtly intuitive way) and so on would be instantly understandable and fun for any non-gamer.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I totally forgot about PS Moves. I need to buy them as well, don't I? Especially since Beat Saber is one of the games on my must-have list.

Thanks for reminding me :)

Ok, I think I will bite the bullet with PSVR Mega Pack (I found some still in stock for about €280). It's new version of goggles, camera and 5 games (Astrobot, Skyrim, Doom, Wipeout and VR Worlds). It was cheaper in December, but I think it's still not bad as I don't have any of those games and I'm interested in playing all of them.

I can't find any PS Moves in reasonable price so I will hold for now and will keep searching for them. I was going to wait for March (or at least closer) to have an excuse that this will be my birthday present, but you guys convinced me. It's hard to predict if the price will go up or down short term.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might order myself the Firewall Aim Controller bundle. I bought Farpoint on sale, but I don't like how it's played with a dualshock controller, feels uncomfortable and akward, but still okay playable.

I also quite liked the Firewall trial, but again, using a regular controller feels akwayrd and uncomfortable and seeing the reticle is like playign the lottery, sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

What makes me reluctant is simply: is it worth getting the aim controller for 75$ for only 2 games (Farpoint and Firewall)? Im only playing exclusives on PSVR so games like Doom, Dick Wilde, Arizona Sunshine is on PC.

Last edited:

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I played some Headmaster last night, and it's great fun.
I picked it up for like $5, and can definitely recommend it.

On the other hand, I played Polybius for like 5 minutes and closed it. I suppose I'll give it another go but my first impression wasn't so hot

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
On the other hand, I played Polybius for like 5 minutes and closed it. I suppose I'll give it another go but my first impression wasn't so hot

I think I recall a Polybius review that said he bounced hard from it at first, but eventually learned about a few mechanics and ended up loving it to death.

Fake edit: Found it, it was the VR Without Parole review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTER0RQxZsw
Might be weird to watch a review after you bought a game, but perhaps it might improve your enjoyment of the game?

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I totally forgot about PS Moves. I need to buy them as well, don't I? Especially since Beat Saber is one of the games on my must-have list.

Thanks for reminding me :)

Ok, I think I will bite the bullet with PSVR Mega Pack (I found some still in stock for about €280). It's new version of goggles, camera and 5 games (Astrobot, Skyrim, Doom, Wipeout and VR Worlds). It was cheaper in December, but I think it's still not bad as I don't have any of those games and I'm interested in playing all of them.

I can't find any PS Moves in reasonable price so I will hold for now and will keep searching for them. I was going to wait for March (or at least closer) to have an excuse that this will be my birthday present, but you guys convinced me. It's hard to predict if the price will go up or down short term.
If you haven't bought one yet and can wait a week or two it might be worth holding on. Been a few weeks since we've had one of the 15% ebay codes and they've been pretty frequent lately. Would knock €40-45 off that set you're considering. Keep an eye on the EU cheap ass thread on here or HUKD

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't bought one yet and can wait a week or two it might be worth holding on. Been a few weeks since we've had one of the 15% ebay codes and they've been pretty frequent lately. Would knock €40-45 off that set you're considering. Keep an eye on the EU cheap ass thread on here or HUKD

Thank you. That's a good suggestion, but I think that I will still get it for the price I found (thinking about it still, I don't know what's changed with me - some time ago I would just went ahead and bought it at launch, but now I am so hesitant and afraid to do it).

Additional discount would be pretty nice, but eBay is pretty much dead in my country so I would need to get it from Germany or France and shipping cost would still bring this back to my current price. I think that it is not bad given the number of included games (or am I wrong?). It's just that if I wasn't this hesitant, I could have the same set for about €230, but oh well.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, ordered myself the Firewall Aim Controller bundle. Will use it on Firewall and Farpoint at least.

Realyl liked the Firewall trial as it reminded me off Six Siege which I have over 200 hours on on Steam.

Have thanksfully not played that much off Farpoint with normal controller and yet I really liked it, despite the shittiness of the game with a controller.

Undead Bokun

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been covered. Has anyone bought the Zen Studios VR Collection yet? I've seen mention of a forthcoming US release but with no concrete info have been debating importing it. I just wanted to know if all games are on disc like the Ultimate Vr Collection or if it is like The Assembly/Perfect release which relegated Perfect to a download code. Similarly I saw mention that the Season 1 DLC for Pinball FX 2 VR was included; is this on disc or as a code? I know I can easily make a Euro PSN but if there are codes to deal with I think I will just wait. Any info is appreciated!

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Similarly I saw mention that the Season 1 DLC for Pinball FX 2 VR was included
I had Pinball FX2 on the X360, and the VR version does add the ability to move your head around the tables to get far better depth perception. You can look directly above or angle low and around the sides, too; just like a real pinball table. The major downside for me was the resolution being lower than expected, but I did adjust to it eventually. I have pinball games from the Saturn and 90s era PC, so that helped me with the resolution adjustment.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Anyone have any recommendations for HDMI switches? Want to setup my v1 with my new tv and don't want to have to unplug constantly for HDR.

Looking at reviews online for various products I get all kinds of mixed signals between input lag and HDR.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for HDMI switches? Want to setup my v1 with my new tv and don't want to have to unplug constantly for HDR.

Looking at reviews online for various products I get all kinds of mixed signals between input lag and HDR.
I use this splitter - as apposed to a switch. It works well for me.*

* It requires a powering on/off the breakout box not in use, and the splitter requires a power cycle(as there's no buttons on the splitter) to force HDMI re-handshake. In my setup this is easy as my powerboard has individual switches and is right behind the TV.

You'll want short + good quality cables. I did have to buy additional HDMI certified cables as this kind of setup requires quite a few cables - and some of mine weren't good enough for HDR capable HDMI connection. I did not have to spend lots of money though - I think they were $10.
Going through sound systems are adding an additional cable connections that my reduce your chances of success.

I've seen people find success and failure with the Sewell switch. But they specifically advertise that as working with PSVR so you'd expect it to work.
IMO, most people are tripping up on HDMI cables that are good enough for UHD resolutions but not HDR, or their cables are too long. But it's hard to troubleshoot when you don't have good cables and swapping cables around for testing can be troublesome and time consuming. I recommend setting up the cables in an accessible area - work out the cable combinations that work for HDR & VR, then move that setup into your entertainment area.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so my PSVR Mega Pack came in today. I'm both excited and with slight buyer's remorse maybe? I will try and connect everything this evening when my kid goes to sleep. We'll see how it goes, I hope that it won't be too problematic.

I've downloaded VR Worlds that was included and all Demo Discs available in EU store. I'm wondering what I should try first, especially since it looks like I will be stuck with Dualshock for a bit. There's no moves no sale anywhere it looks like (Amazon tells me that they will probably send one in the next 1-3 months perhaps). Wondering if this is because it's a new year and Sony did not manage to send new batch to the stores yet or is there any greater problem with production of those?

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
slight buyer's remorse

That will vanish the moment you give it a try, I'm guessing. :)

Make absolutely sure you get The Playroom VR, it's entirely free (I'm assuming you're including in "free demos", but since it's not really a demo, I wanted to make sure). And also the Demo "Discs" 1, 2 and 3. That's quite a lot of GB right there!

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
That will vanish the moment you give it a try, I'm guessing. :)

Make absolutely sure you get The Playroom VR, it's entirely free (I'm assuming you're including in "free demos", but since it's not really a demo, I wanted to make sure). And also the Demo "Discs" 1, 2 and 3. That's quite a lot of GB right there!

If this is your first time ever with VR, I recommend that you start with Ocean Descent that's included in VR Worlds.

Thank you for your recommendations. I downloaded a lot :D The setup from the cabling perspective was a bit challenging (but this was expected), but from the camera and my position it was actually surprisingly easy. After reading a lot of suggestions about avoiding lights, putting camera on top vs bottom, having a lot of space, etc. I was afraid that this will be horrible tinkering. It turned out that I just put the camera below my TV, tilted it down a bit so that it could find me in the center and everything just worked great. I still need to play around with its setup once my extension cable arrives but for the first time experience it was pretty smooth. Now that may change once I get moves and try standing up, but we'll see. Maybe it will not be too bad.

And yes, I selected Ocean Descent as my first thing to see in VR and another surprise. I was expecting pretty bad picture quality, but it actually looked pretty awesome. Of course there is this mura effect on dark scenes and not everything is super sharp, but I was expecting something horrible, but it was actually really really good. The experience was really great as well. I actually was pretty convinced that I was under water even though other part of my brain was still knowing that I'm actually sitting in my living room :)

I then tried a bit of Playroom, Thumper demo (I think that I will buy this at some point, because the demo sold me on the experience), Moss (in this one I had a weird pulsating picture feeling, need to give it a second chance, but moving the mouse around was pretty cool). As a finisher, I launched Eve Valkyrie because it was on the last demo disc that I tried to test my stomach. It definitely looked the worst from everything I played today but it was still awesome (though it lasted like 30 seconds I feel :D) and I did not feel motion sick at all even though I did some flips and a roll.

So all in all I am very positively surprised (you guys are probably pretty bored of those impressions when someone finally tries a VR and tells that it is actually awesome :D) and definitely looking forward to playing more tomorrow. I stopped for today even though I was still feeling fine as I did not want to overdo it. Now that I took off the headset I am feeling a bit woozy, but I think that it is also because of all those emotions.

I just hope that disconnecting and plugging in this thing will not discourage me from playing. I have a huge list of things to play. I have Astrobot as a part of the package, but I am not sure if I want to start with the strongest games of all. Then everything will be a downgrade.

I also need to play around with IPD setting tomorrow perhaps. The picture is really sharp in the middle but it quickly loses sharpness on the sides. Unless this is how it's supposed to be.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So all in all I am very positively surprised (you guys are probably pretty bored of those impressions when someone finally tries a VR and tells that it is actually awesome :D)

Not really, it's always great to hear them. :D

I just hope that disconnecting and plugging in this thing will not discourage me from playing.

I personally leave mine connected permanently, but of course that depends on your available space and storage.

I have a huge list of things to play. I have Astrobot as a part of the package, but I am not sure if I want to start with the strongest games of all. Then everything will be a downgrade.

That is quite wise, but take also care of not suffering the "I'd rather be playing Astrobot" issue that might make you enjoy the other stuff less. It's OK if you leave it for months down the road when you've finished Astrobot.

I also need to play around with IPD setting tomorrow perhaps. The picture is really sharp in the middle but it quickly loses sharpness on the sides. Unless this is how it's supposed to be.

Unfortunately this is how it is and (software) IPD doesn't help with that (as far as I know), only with scale. It's alleviated once you get the hang of setting the headset correctly, centering it to optimize the field of view and letting the visor rest as close as possible to your face (the upper ridge of the headset should kind of "slot" into your lower brow).

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Thank you for your recommendations. I downloaded a lot :D The setup from the cabling perspective was a bit challenging (but this was expected), but from the camera and my position it was actually surprisingly easy. After reading a lot of suggestions about avoiding lights, putting camera on top vs bottom, having a lot of space, etc. I was afraid that this will be horrible tinkering. It turned out that I just put the camera below my TV, tilted it down a bit so that it could find me in the center and everything just worked great. I still need to play around with its setup once my extension cable arrives but for the first time experience it was pretty smooth. Now that may change once I get moves and try standing up, but we'll see. Maybe it will not be too bad.

And yes, I selected Ocean Descent as my first thing to see in VR and another surprise. I was expecting pretty bad picture quality, but it actually looked pretty awesome. Of course there is this mura effect on dark scenes and not everything is super sharp, but I was expecting something horrible, but it was actually really really good. The experience was really great as well. I actually was pretty convinced that I was under water even though other part of my brain was still knowing that I'm actually sitting in my living room :)

I then tried a bit of Playroom, Thumper demo (I think that I will buy this at some point, because the demo sold me on the experience), Moss (in this one I had a weird pulsating picture feeling, need to give it a second chance, but moving the mouse around was pretty cool). As a finisher, I launched Eve Valkyrie because it was on the last demo disc that I tried to test my stomach. It definitely looked the worst from everything I played today but it was still awesome (though it lasted like 30 seconds I feel :D) and I did not feel motion sick at all even though I did some flips and a roll.

So all in all I am very positively surprised (you guys are probably pretty bored of those impressions when someone finally tries a VR and tells that it is actually awesome :D) and definitely looking forward to playing more tomorrow. I stopped for today even though I was still feeling fine as I did not want to overdo it. Now that I took off the headset I am feeling a bit woozy, but I think that it is also because of all those emotions.

I just hope that disconnecting and plugging in this thing will not discourage me from playing. I have a huge list of things to play. I have Astrobot as a part of the package, but I am not sure if I want to start with the strongest games of all. Then everything will be a downgrade.

Moss is a great game with the worst headset tracking I've experienced in PSVR. I had to sit directly in front of the camera for the camera to remain stable. Haven't had an issue like that in any other game.

Still worth it because it's such a charming game but I really hope they improve tracking in the sequel.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
I personally leave mine connected permanently, but of course that depends on your available space and storage.

Unfortunately this is not possible for me due to lack of space and also a very young gentleman running around and discovering world :) but it does not seem too bad. I just disconnected headset so it will be just plugging in the cable.

That is quite wise, but take also care of not suffering the "I'd rather be playing Astrobot" issue that might make you enjoy the other stuff less. It's OK if you leave it for months down the road when you've finished Astrobot.

Hmm, yeah, I think I will probably start it today. It was the main reason I bought VR so maybe it's actually not wise to leave it for later. Maybe it would be like buying really nice sports car and only driving on parking because of being afraid that driving on a highway will ruin my parking experience :D

Unfortunately this is how it is and (software) IPD doesn't help with that (as far as I know), only with scale. It's alleviated once you get the hang of setting the headset correctly, centering it to optimize the field of view and letting the visor rest as close as possible to your face (the upper ridge of the headset should kind of "slot" into your lower brow).

Oh ok. I mean, it's not too bad. I need to actually look for it. When I just focused on what was happening in Ocean Descent I forgot about everything (even the fact that I felt like I was looking at the world through a kind of window with borders around).

Moss is a great game with the worst headset tracking I've experienced in PSVR. I had to sit directly in front of the camera for the camera to remain stable. Haven't had an issue like that in any other game.

Still worth it because it's such a charming game but I really hope they improve tracking in the sequel.

That's good if it's not happening in other titles. And yes, it seemed like it was game's fault because when I went back to PS Menu immediately when I noticed it the problem was not there.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hmm, yeah, I think I will probably start it today. It was the main reason I bought VR so maybe it's actually not wise to leave it for later. Maybe it would be like buying really nice sports car and only driving on parking because of being afraid that driving on a highway will ruin my parking experience :D

That's one of the most perfect analogies I've heard. :D

In general, while it seems "responsible" to save the shiny new game you just bought until you've finished all the other games you've started... it's actually a bad idea, because it will make playing these games feel like a chore rather than a joy, and worse, the shiny new game will likely become an old dusty game you don't want to start even before you get to it, as new shiny games are released. The takeaway is that you should play exactly what you want, when you want.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Looks like they've put up a Plus PS VR sale (got email from Sony with subject "The Plus PS VR Sale is here. Get up to 70% off now."). I'm looking through this list and figuring out what's worth picking up. Might just double-dip on Dirt Rally again so I don't have to keep putting the disc in every time.

Now that I took off the headset I am feeling a bit woozy, but I think that it is also because of all those emotions.

Heh, actually the wooziness after session is pretty common, especially if it's your first time. Even back in '98 when I walked out of an experimental VR cave in college and was chatting with my friend after the session, that's when the wooziness hit me. It definitely becomes a non-issue over time, although sometimes it depends on the session itself.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they've put up a Plus PS VR sale (got email from Sony with subject "The Plus PS VR Sale is here. Get up to 70% off now."). I'm looking through this list and figuring out what's worth picking up. Might just double-dip on Dirt Rally again so I don't have to keep putting the disc in every time.

Oh yeah, I saw that. I still don't have Astrobot. Might be time to give that a try after all the things I've heard.

Did anyone else give that Utada Hikaru Kingdom Hearts Promotional VR Concert video a try? As with other VR music videos, it always freaks me out a little just how much of an impact eye contact makes in these things.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I saw that. I still don't have Astrobot. Might be time to give that a try after all the things I've heard.

Did anyone else give that Utada Hikaru Kingdom Hearts Promotional VR Concert video a try? As with other VR music videos, it always freaks me out a little just how much of an impact eye contact makes in these things.

I tried it and it's pretty good, scale seems off though (singer looks tiny) and there's no 3d audio as far as I can tell.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, why is the KH VR experience keep getting delayed?
I think it's already out in Japan?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it and it's pretty good, scale seems off though (singer looks tiny) and there's no 3d audio as far as I can tell.

I... actually just thought that might be a case of Utada Hikaru actually just being a tiny Japanese girl, but maybe you're right.

I didn't know about the 3D audio at all, but then I played it on my home theater set-up, I wanted that subwoofer kicking in, and to really FEEL the sound as more concert-y.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The scale is an interesting issue... (deletes a lot of speculation about IPD and large cameras) ... apparently she's 5'2". The scale might still be off in the app, but according to Google she is rather small.

On a side note, I'm still shocked we're getting the Fate/Grand Order VR apps in the west, at least according to Playstation's Youtube channel. I tried one from the Japanese PSN a while back out of curiosity, and it's a useless bit of creepy fanservice that lasts about 5 minutes. Even if you're an anime fan that likes fanservice it's very disappointing. I'd like to hope the one with Saber is better.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen this KH experience thing, but saw Utada live in concert some years back.

Can confirm, is tiny.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I launched Astrobot today. Only completed first two levels as this is only my second day with VR and I try to be responsible (emphasis on "try")... So ok, while yesterday was really great experience, the Astrobot levels actually blew my mind. I thought that everyone was exaggerating, but this is probably the most wild video game experience I had (stupid smile all the time, trying to stop a rolling ball with my foot, waving back to the robot even though he / she does not see me, right? Seriously, like what is happening to my brain?). This is just insane, I was not expecting that at all.

I have two things I would like to ask (sorry if they were already discussed).

1) I had my Sony Pulse headset in my drawer, it was pretty old so the ear pads were not in the best shape, but I managed to completely destroy them by putting them over the headset. They also left some of leathery dust all over my headset. I noticed because of that that they do not really fit around the headset itself, but are heavily leaning on the head band. I'm afraid that they may destroy the headset itself somehow or if I use a better headphones, that they can get damaged as well. So with this long intro: what type of headphones are you using with headset? I have the ones that were included with VR but I read that they are not the best (though the in-ear type may be a bit better perhaps)? I also have Koss Porta Pros which I love, but again I don't want to damage them or the headset.

2) Again, thanks to the above problem with headphones I noticed that the plastic band of the VR headset is not one piece, but it is like two parts joined together. The join is in the middle of the white band going around the head on both sides (right in the middle between the front and the back I would say). Since it is on both sides and it is a regular line I assume that this is how it was built, but I can't notice it in the pictures that I googled so I need someone to calm me down :D it's the new version of headset.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ok, so I launched Astrobot today. Only completed first two levels as this is only my second day with VR and I try to be responsible (emphasis on "try")... So ok, while yesterday was really great experience, the Astrobot levels actually blew my mind. I thought that everyone was exaggerating, but this is probably the most wild video game experience I had (stupid smile all the time, trying to stop a rolling ball with my foot, waving back to the robot even though he / she does not see me, right? Seriously, like what is happening to my brain?). This is just insane, I was not expecting that at all.

I have two things I would like to ask (sorry if they were already discussed).

1) I had my Sony Pulse headset in my drawer, it was pretty old so the ear pads were not in the best shape, but I managed to completely destroy them by putting them over the headset. They also left some of leathery dust all over my headset. I noticed because of that that they do not really fit around the headset itself, but are heavily leaning on the head band. I'm afraid that they may destroy the headset itself somehow or if I use a better headphones, that they can get damaged as well. So with this long intro: what type of headphones are you using with headset? I have the ones that were included with VR but I read that they are not the best (though the in-ear type may be a bit better perhaps)? I also have Koss Porta Pros which I love, but again I don't want to damage them or the headset.

2) Again, thanks to the above problem with headphones I noticed that the plastic band of the VR headset is not one piece, but it is like two parts joined together. The join is in the middle of the white band going around the head on both sides (right in the middle between the front and the back I would say). Since it is on both sides and it is a regular line I assume that this is how it was built, but I can't notice it in the pictures that I googled so I need someone to calm me down :D it's the new version of headset.

1) I use the headphones that come with the headset and they seem fine to me, but I'm no audiophile so your mileage may vary.
2) I'm not sure what you're referring to here, could you upload a picture? The headset is made of a lot of pieces so I'm not sure which specific two you're talking about.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
1) I use the headphones that come with the headset and they seem fine to me, but I'm no audiophile so your mileage may vary.
2) I'm not sure what you're referring to here, could you upload a picture? The headset is made of a lot of pieces so I'm not sure which specific two you're talking about.

1) Yeah, that's the most obvious solution I think. They are right there. I will try them. The sound quality for Pulse was not great either (a lot of bass) so they may be fine as well.
2) I thought about this when I wrote this actually because I felt that it's difficult to describe

mtSbXfG.jpg

This place has this connection of two parts on both sides and seems the most flimsy part of the headset. I hope that it will be ok longer term.

BTW. thanks a lot for all your replies, they are really helpful.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
1) Yeah, that's the most obvious solution I think. They are right there. I will try them. The sound quality for Pulse was not great either (a lot of bass) so they may be fine as well.
2) I thought about this when I wrote this actually because I felt that it's difficult to describe

mtSbXfG.jpg

This place has this connection of two parts on both sides and seems the most flimsy part of the headset. I hope that it will be ok longer term.

BTW. thanks a lot for all your replies, they are really helpful.

Oh, that! Mine has that too. I don't think that's a connection, it seems to be a design choice to make the part of the white band that telescopes into the back part of the tiara thinner to slot in more easily, or perhaps just a plastic injection seam. Notice that line is only visible from that side, the sides and back are completely flat / smooth; if it was actually a melding of two pieces, you would see the seam surrounding the entire piece.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, that! Mine has that too. I don't think that's a connection, it seems to be a design choice to make the part of the white band that telescopes into the back part of the tiara thinner to slot in more easily, or perhaps just a plastic injection seam. Notice that line is only visible from that side, the sides and back are completely flat / smooth; if it was actually a melding of two pieces, you would see the seam surrounding the entire piece.

You're totally right. Ok, thanks :) That makes a lot of sense.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

No matter how many times I see it, I always get a kick from people who underestimated Astrobots :)

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :) Make sure you try The Last Guardian VR Demo. It's a free download.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
No matter how many times I see it, I always get a kick from people who underestimated Astrobots :)

Well, I've been a victim of hype too many times so I'm a bit skeptical nowadays, but this game made me feel like I was witnessing some magic. I don't remember the last time I felt that way about a game. Honestly maybe something similar would be when I saw a first game ever in my life (Giana Sisters on C64). I can't wait to go back to this world again today because I really felt like a part of it.

It also helps that the game itself plays really well. The platforming and all the other actions feel really good so far. I was afraid that maybe it will be all just novelty and the gameplay itself will not be great. I hope that it will be like that throughout the game but from what I read, I have nothing to worry about.

It also seems like it came out of nowhere. I'm going through some of videos from last year about PSVR news and either I'm missing it or it was not really something that we know about too much prior the release.

Last edited:

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've been a victim of hype too many times so I'm a bit skeptical nowadays, but this game made me feel like I was witnessing some magic. I don't remember the last time I felt that way about the game. Honestly maybe something similar would be when I saw a first game ever in my life (Giana Sisters on C64). I can't wait to go back to this world again today because I really felt like a part of it.

It also helps that the game itself plays really well. The platforming and all the other actions feel really good so far. I was afraid that maybe it will be all just novelty and the gameplay itself will not be great. I hope that it will be like that throughout the game but from what I read, I have nothing to worry about.

It also seems like it came out of nowhere. I'm going through some of videos from last year about PSVR news and either I'm missing it or it was not really something that we know about too much prior the release.
It only gets better and better 😉