• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2017
Guten morgen!

Just received my PSVR. Bundled with Borderlands 2 and Beat Saber.

Anything I should download when I get back home? Any games that are too heavy (limited space on HDD + data cap).

PSVR worlds?

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
So how are the legs on Tetris Effect? Anyone still playing?

I think a lot of this depends on how much you enjoy Tetris. Tetris Effect is certainly one of the best Tetris games ever and there's nothing quite like sitting down with great headphones/PSVR and chilling out. But it's still Tetris.

They hold special online community events which can be fun to participate in, and there's a whole bunch of different modes and gameplay styles to jump into depending on your mood.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I think a lot of this depends on how much you enjoy Tetris. Tetris Effect is certainly one of the best Tetris games ever and there's nothing quite like sitting down with great headphones/PSVR and chilling out. But it's still Tetris.

They hold special online community events which can be fun to participate in, and there's a whole bunch of different modes and gameplay styles to jump into depending on your mood.

I might bite. Love Tetris am just hesitant due to it costing $53 here in Canada which is a bit steep to me.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I got some money to burn on either a XB1 X (but I already own a good gaming PC) or PSVR.

Which bundle is the best out right now?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so the inpatient and doom vfr are on sale.
Are these worth my money in any way?
Doom VFR is a great first person shooter but it's short (sub-5h) and not quite as good as Doom (2016). I played with Dualshock 4 and it worked great but I hear the Move/aim controls are not great. So, it's maybe not the best Virtual Reality game but it's a solid FPS that visually does a decent job of putting you inside the world. Apart from the short campaign there are also some classic 90's Doom levels included where the retro enemies are replaced by ones from this game.

The Inpatient has nice character models but it's slow and frankly not all that interesting. The mechanics which control endings and who will live and die are also inconsistent and nonsensical. You pretty much need to follow a guide to get the results you desire. It's also a very short game, 3 hours maybe. I wouldn't really recommend paying money for it tbh but it's not unpleasant for a playthrough.

I got some money to burn on either a XB1 X (but I already own a good gaming PC) or PSVR.

Which bundle is the best out right now?
Depends a bit on the games you are interested in but unless you already have Move controllers then you should probably buy one that includes them. The bundles that include Move controllers generally cost $50 extra compared to the others but buying the controllers separately costs $100.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. On one hand I want to get Borderlands 2 VR while on sale, the other side says wait for the potential AIM support down the line...

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Groundhog Day: Like Father, Like Son is a virtual reality adventure game to be released in 2019 on PSVR and all other major VR platforms. With over 8 hours of hilarious puzzles and branching narrative gameplay, the story challenges you to think past today and break the time-loop cycle to escape into tomorrow.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. On one hand I want to get Borderlands 2 VR while on sale, the other side says wait for the potential AIM support down the line...
Don't hold your breath. Gearbox has never indicated that they're interested in adding Aim support (AFAIK), and they've got no shortage of more pressing fires to put out at the moment.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be receiving the Firwall Aim Controller bundle this week. So I need that and Tetris Effect and then I have all the PSVR exclusives that interests me. Im still not sure if I should get The Persistence, even on sale, as I find the demo to be a bit boring.

Im otherwise waiting for Borderlands 2 and Ace Combat VR missions to hit PC.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hold your breath. Gearbox has never indicated that they're interested in adding Aim support (AFAIK), and they've got no shortage of more pressing fires to put out at the moment.

I suppose. Just be weird to play with two moves and not be dual wielding (Don't want play gunserker or w/e his name was).

Nov 4, 2017
So, tried PSVR a bit in the past few days.

Liked the minigames in the PSVR room.

Tried a few things here and there. Loved the Rez Infinite demo!
Got mad nausea after less than five minutes on RE7, had to stop.
Spent more time (about 1 hour) on Tetris Effect, entirely worth the 45€ I paid for it.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
So.....I turn on my PSVR this morning to a blank headset screen : (. I just played this thing last weekend without issue. I've changed HDMI cables, reset the pass-through box( held the headset power button for 10 seconds), and lastly unplugged every cable between the PS4, headset and box and.......nothing. PLEASE tell me there's a home fix for this thing I've not applied yet or do I need to send this into Sony? I'm in a remote location which means I'd have to wait till my next U.S trip before I could ship it to them economically.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So.....I turn on my PSVR this morning to a blank headset screen : (. I just played this thing last weekend without issue. I've changed HDMI cables, reset the pass-through box( held the headset power button for 10 seconds), and lastly unplugged every cable between the PS4, headset and box and.......nothing. PLEASE tell me there's a home fix for this thing I've not applied yet or do I need to send this into Sony? I'm in a remote location which means I'd have to wait till my next U.S trip before I could ship it to them economically.

Man that sucks. Wish I could offer some advice. Have you did a hard reset of the PS4?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Been trying to play Farpoint, Wipeout and Resi 7 but keep getting motion sickness after 20-30 minutes of playing. Is this something that decreases after getting used to playing in vr?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Been trying to play Farpoint, Wipeout and Resi 7 but keep getting motion sickness after 20-30 minutes of playing. Is this something that decreases after getting used to playing in vr?

Some will say yes, other will say no. I've heard some tried motion sickness patch or even Ginger gravol and seem work like a charm. You could give it a try.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Many people can get used to movement in VR, but it all depends on the person and the movement. For those games in particular, there's settings that can get rather hardcore. Do you have them all the comfort settings turned on? For me, I can't play any first person game like Farpoint or Resi 7 witj smooth turning. I have to have snap turning on. Wipout has an option that keeps your head level with the track that helps me a lot.

Nov 4, 2017
I'll try again at a later stage. First I'll play more Tetris, then ps worlds (haven't tried yet).
Hope I'll be able to get used to it and play RE7 then.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I did have fun with Scavengers Odyssey, and I surprisingly stomached the non-configurable free turning somewhat well (using snap turning everywhere else). I recommend trying it out later on, when you feel comfortable playing some of the rougher experiences. It's graphically quite nicely done and entertaining for an hour.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want the full wealth of Borderlands 2's DLC available before I even consider PS Aim.

Speaking of which, what's the history of sales for PS Aim? I can't seem to find that Firewall bundle for anything less than $80.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I hadnt tried Scavenger's Odyseey before now, having no idea what it would be. Wow it's ambitious, in part for what it expects from the player's stomach in (essentially) a launch demo.

About a week ago, I also tried Here They Lie which was a PS+ title a few months ago. I hadn't researched it because of that, simply downloading it. If I had, I would have seen many reports of nausea.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
About a week ago, I also tried Here They Lie which was a PS+ title a few months ago. I hadn't researched it because of that, simply downloading it. If I had, I would have seen many reports of nausea.
Yes, HTL makes me sick waay faster and more than Scavengers Odyssey. 20-30 minutes of this and the VR session is over.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Here they lie is the only VR game I couldn't finish because of nausea. I had no issues with swinging wildly through Windlands or playing Re 7 without comfort options, but HTL was borderline unplayable. A shame, since I liked what I managed to play through. I should go back to it now and see if an additional 1 and a half years of VR gaming has made me more resistant.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Man that sucks. Wish I could offer some advice. Have you did a hard reset of the PS4?

I hadn't tried that, but I took a stab and booted up a game just to see what happens, to discover that the app starts playing inside the headset fine....but the TV(social screen) is blank. I haven't been able to get the PS4 dashboard to show up in the headset unless I specifically go into the youtube app, then back out and there it is( again not being mirrored on the TV). It's a really odd issue and I've had this since christmas 2017, not a single problem until now. I've googled the issue of course and found it's pretty common and seems to happen more with the Pro? Weird....

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I hadn't tried that, but I took a stab and booted up a game just to see what happens, to discover that the app starts playing inside the headset fine....but the TV(social screen) is blank. I haven't been able to get the PS4 dashboard to show up in the headset unless I specifically go into the youtube app, then back out and there it is( again not being mirrored on the TV). It's a really odd issue and I've had this since christmas 2017, not a single problem until now. I've googled the issue of course and found it's pretty common and seems to happen more with the Pro? Weird....
Maybe it's a problem in the PS4 itself, not the headset.
If you haven't, try to power off the PS4 completely (not rest mode), then turning it back on. Also, try to rebuild the database.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe it's a problem in the PS4 itself, not the headset.
If you haven't, try to power off the PS4 completely (not rest mode), then turning it back on. Also, try to rebuild the database.

You mean just a hard reboot/turn the system off? Did that, removed all plugs, changed HDMI cables and turned back on. Same thing..... I'll try that database rebuild this evening, who knows maybe I turn it on after work today and it's working as normal. Thanks for the tip...

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I felt sick playing Scavenger's Odyssey, but I felt equally sick playing the VR missions in Star Wars Battlefront :/

So, tried PSVR a bit in the past few days.

Liked the minigames in the PSVR room.

Tried a few things here and there. Loved the Rez Infinite demo!
Got mad nausea after less than five minutes on RE7, had to stop.
Spent more time (about 1 hour) on Tetris Effect, entirely worth the 45€ I paid for it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...nformation-and-help-on-motion-sickness.90628/

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Here they lie is the only VR game I couldn't finish because of nausea. I had no issues with swinging wildly through Windlands or playing Re 7 without comfort options, but HTL was borderline unplayable. A shame, since I liked what I managed to play through. I should go back to it now and see if an additional 1 and a half years of VR gaming has made me more resistant.
I definitely had to stop playing the demo of Here They Lie when I first got a PSVR at launch. When they offered it for free on PS+ a few months ago, with two more years (and 180 hours of Skyrim w/o comfort assists) under my belt, I tried it again and it wasn't really a problem. Everyone's going to be different, but you may find it's a pretty good reminder of how much more steady your VR legs are.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Does this happen in all PSVR games, or just some? It could be you have Supersampling Mode (Settings -> Video Output Settings -> Supersampling Mode) enabled, which is incompatible with some VR games. Initially Wipeout VR would simply boot to a black screen when Supersampling Mode was enabled, but they issued a patch that fixed it; that's where I first encountered it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely had to stop playing the demo of Here They Lie when I first got a PSVR at launch. When they offered it for free on PS+ a few months ago, with two more years (and 180 hours of Skyrim w/o comfort assists) under my belt, I tried it again and it wasn't really a problem. Everyone's going to be different, but you may find it's a pretty good reminder of how much more steady your VR legs are.

That sounds promising! I might revisit it this weekend!

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Does this happen in all PSVR games, or just some? It could be you have Supersampling Mode (Settings -> Video Output Settings -> Supersampling Mode) enabled, which is incompatible with some VR games. Initially Wipeout VR would simply boot to a black screen when Supersampling Mode was enabled, but they issued a patch that fixed it; that's where I first encountered it.

I've tried wipeout collection, Demo disk 2 and 3, FX2 pinball VR,and PSVR worlds. I hadn't tampered with any of the settings prior to this issue and everything worked perfectly till yesterday.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks, will do :). Actually I just realized that you asked if I did a hard reset of the PS4, and I told you I hadn't( as far as doing a complete system shut-off/reboot), but as you can see from my reply to Piccoro I actually did lol.

UPDATE: tried another hard Ps4 reboot plus a database rebuild. No change, apps only display inside the headset but not mirrored on the TV, and the dashboard won't show up inside the headset unless I go into the youtube app and then come out of it( again, without it mirroring on the TV). Long and short is for whatever reason the headset and social screens no longer work in tandem *shrugs*. I need to get my hands on another Ps4 and test it on that.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
UPDATE: tried another hard Ps4 reboot plus a database rebuild. No change, apps only display inside the headset but not mirrored on the TV, and the dashboard won't show up inside the headset unless I go into the youtube app and then come out of it( again, without it mirroring on the TV). Long and short is for whatever reason the headset and social screens no longer work in tandem *shrugs*. I need to get my hands on another Ps4 and test it on that.
Did you try using a different pair of HDMI cables?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any resource or something that you could consult to determine whether a VR game prefers that you're standing rather than sitting?

I hate firing up a new game only to learn that it wants me to stand up, thus messing with my camera placement.

Speaking of which, is there any way to have the camera set in a way where I don't have to adjust it if I'm sitting down vs standing up?

I'm trying to get an ideal arrangement for my setup, since I'm currently playing a game that requires both standing as well as Move controllers. Right now it's a bit flimsy, either having trouble reading my hands (Move controllers) or causing them to move back and forth (the foreground shake).

I really want an improved headset.