• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Is there any resource or something that you could consult to determine whether a VR game prefers that you're standing rather than sitting?

I hate firing up a new game only to learn that it wants me to stand up, thus messing with my camera placement.

Speaking of which, is there any way to have the camera set in a way where I don't have to adjust it if I'm sitting down vs standing up?

I'm trying to get an ideal arrangement for my setup, since I'm currently playing a game that requires both standing as well as Move controllers. Right now it's a bit flimsy, either having trouble reading my hands (Move controllers) or causing them to move back and forth (the foreground shake).

I really want an improved headset.

Well the ideal standing vs sitting is be 5'5" like me lol very little difference. In all seriousness the camera is the issue in my opinion not the headset.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
My camera is just above head height pointing slightly down (mounted on the wall). Can see me standing, can see my Move controllers with arms extended up into the air, can see me reach down to the floor with Moves, and can see me seated.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, nothing like that. The last time everything was working fine was 2 weekends ago, and I don't recall even turning the system on again till this past weekend when I experienced the described issue.
Do you have v2 Breakout box or v1? Do you have the output from the Breakout box going through a receiver?
Can you try playing an asymmetric MP game like Playroom VR - which displays a completely separate image sent from PS4 instead of a dewarped version of the headset view?

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
It's silly how much fun I'm having playing through Borderlands 2 with slow-mo powers in VR. And I've played the game so much before.

I really hope they implement the DLC and maybe multiplayer down the road.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Do you have v2 Breakout box or v1? Do you have the output from the Breakout box going through a receiver?
Can you try playing an asymmetric MP game like Playroom VR - which displays a completely separate image sent from PS4 instead of a dewarped version of the headset view?

I have the V2 headset and breakout box. Box is going right through the Ps4, no receivers or 'middleman' components in the way. I'll give the playroom a try later this evening, but the only thing I can figure is that the Ps4 and VR/breakout box have been 'delinked' somehow through some internal error.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone tried The Mage's Tale? That's a game I was tasked with covering for a site, and I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get the controls to work properly.

The game uses Move controllers and wants you to chuck fireballs at enemies. No matter how much I try to aim and throw I struggle to land a long distance hit. There's some blue aura thing that I think is supposed to be a lock-on, but if it is, it literally does not work.

It's frustrating because now I'll have to see if my setup is incorrect or if the VR controls really are that shitty.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I haven't tried it, although I wanted to because I'd heard good things about it on PC VR. Glad to get your feedback; I'll wait to see if others have problems and if a patch fixes it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Haven't played it yet either, will wait for the pro patch. But you could check out some of the hands on impression videos, there is a 1 hour video from Without Parole. You should be able to see if it's the same as your game.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
I have the V2 headset and breakout box. Box is going right through the Ps4, no receivers or 'middleman' components in the way. I'll give the playroom a try later this evening, but the only thing I can figure is that the Ps4 and VR/breakout box have been 'delinked' somehow through some internal error.

I could be wrong but I believe the USB cable is what provides the social screen info back to the breakout box to be sent to your TV - have you tried an alternative lead or port?

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong but I believe the USB cable is what provides the social screen info back to the breakout box to be sent to your TV - have you tried an alternative lead or port?
The breakout box generates the social screen from the warped VR output sent via HDMI, except in async MP games where a separate image is used.

At this point I'd presume the breakout box is at fault. Can this be factory reset/have the VR software reinstalled?

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
The breakout box generates the social screen from the warped VR output sent via HDMI, except in async MP games where a separate image is used.

At this point I'd presume the breakout box is at fault. Can this be factory reset/have the VR software reinstalled?

Yep as you say the breakout box generates the signal for the TV if it is showing the same thing as the VR headset, the usb comes into play when the TV is being sent a different image (like Playroom VR for instance). But yeah it does sound like the breakout box itself has an issue.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Sabers Expert+ mode is fantastic. The patterns are easily the best in the game but can't complete any track over 70% speed, literally can't move fast enough.

Must get faster.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
984.jpg

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Courtesy of gofreak in the Next gen thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ces-spicing-2019.91830/page-150#post-17663331

Sony has filed a couple more very detailed patents around the candidate 'Move 2' controller:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20190038968.pdf

This one talks a lot about the implementation of force feedback - actual force feedback - in the large 'trigger' button on the rear of the device, and using that to communicate the size and texture of virtual objects that the user is holding.

Very interesting and shows that with all of the other VR related patents that have come to light Sony have been putting a lot of research into VR. More info in the other thread.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to show a picture of how I've got my camera set up relative to where I sit when wearing the headset:

img_1744fdkpk.jpg

What's should the lighting situation be like? Dimly lit to dark room? Should the TV be turned off?

Oct 28, 2017
a question please

today i tries psvr for the first time , spent around 3 hrs of playing
started with astro bot , 2 stages
tetris effect 2 stages
ace combat 2 stages
then the main event was resident evil 7

in all the games i was fine

but in RE7 i started to feel like i'm gonna throw up , although i'm still in the beginning and hadnt spent 15-30 min in it, i rest a bit and let my friend play , he also tried the above list with me but he spent less time then me, he also started to feel like throwing up, i couldnt move myself after i stopped for a while

what's wrong with RE7 ?
i dont remember i've motion sickness or anything else

hope i can fine an answer

later i'd try to start RE only and see if the feeling still the same or not

please advice

regards

edit:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/15/resident-evil-7-vr-sickness-ps-vr/
hmmm, seems im not the only one?

Last edited:

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
what's wrong with RE7 ?
I find that games like this where you move at a speed close to walking/running pace and that move to the side when you walk and turn your head at the same time are the worst for me for motion sickness. Games like RE7, Robinson: The Journey, Here They Lie. Still, I can play them for hours but not as comfortable as other games. If I start to feel a lot of eye strain or headache then it's time to move to something else or have a break.

In RE7 there are a LOT of VR settings that you can use to reduce motion sickness. Read the descriptions and change them to make it better for you.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
What's should the lighting situation be like? Dimly lit to dark room? Should the TV be turned off?
Medium lit room (not super bright and not dark). Turn the TV off. Eliminate or reduce any chance of reflections of the tracking lights. e.g. The camera might be able to see them reflected in the TV screen. Check the VR camera view to see what the camera sees.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
today i tries psvr for the first time ...then the main event was resident evil 7
That's a mistake. Different people have different levels of VR nausea, but games where you're freely moving around - not in a cockpit, like Ace Combat, where the stationary cockpit around you gives you a visible anchor - are the ones most likely to cause nausea. You really should work up to that kind of thing, and as soon as you feel nausea you should just stop for the day. It takes a while to work up a stomach for VR. Again, not everyone has an issue, but most people do, to varying extents.

There's plenty of advice in this thread about taking it easy at first, which often goes something like:
  • Start out with something where you're stationary, like Ocean Descent (in PSVR Worlds), or Tumble VR, or Moss, or Batman, or Statik. There are games where you move around the world by "teleporting" from spot to spot; those are probably safe at the introductory stage.
  • In later days, try games where you move, but are in a cockpit - car games, Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood, Battlezone, Eve: Valkyrie, Wipeout, Ultrawings. Since you're inevitably seated "in game" in these, sit in a chair while playing them; there's no shortage of YouTube videos showing people falling over into their TVs because they played Rush Of Blood while standing up. AstroBot doesn't have a cockpit, but you might try it, as the movement is slow and relatively straight; I've seen a number of comments from people that the first level causes the most nausea, which is unfortunate, but that may also just be that people were more used to the movement by the time they got to later levels.
  • Once you're comfortable with that, you can try games where you move around freely - Skyrim, RE7, etc. Many of those default to "click turning", where you rotate by snapping at fixed angles, and there's a reason for that - smoothly rotating around is one of the quickest ways to feel sick in VR until you've worked up to it.
In all of this, as soon as you start to feel sick, stop playing. Trying to "power through" sickness will just train your brain to equate VR with nausea.

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I can attest to what EvanSquared said. VR legs are like sea legs. They get stronger the more you play. I used to feel sick too. But now I can play nearly anything in VR.

Oct 25, 2017

please advice

I've had PSVR since launch. I was playing DRIVECLUB VR at launch with no problems.
I can play Ultrawings VR and Barrelroll in WipEout with all the comfort settings off.
I can play PSWorlds Luge and Scavengers Odyssey without issue.
I've put quite a few hours into Skyrim without issue.

All of the above have caused problems for others - but I'm fine.

Bought RE7 day one. Fantastic experience.
But to this day - I can't play RE7, with smooth turning on - without the grid or I'll be bailing after 15 min.
REZ is another game that triggers motion sickness for me - but seemingly not many others.

Different people are susceptible to different types of artificial motion in VR, and there's lots of factors involved.
And RE7 just does something different that I don't handle well(with the comfort settings disabled).

VR legs are definitely a thing - so play more VR to get used to different types of movement - and it might get better over time.
Anytime you start to feel sick - stop playing immediately. You need to wait for the feeling to go away entirely before trying any VR.
I'd recommend testing out all the comfort settings looking for something that works for you.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've had PSVR since launch. I was playing DRIVECLUB VR at launch with no problems.
I can play Ultrawings VR and Barrelroll in WipEout with all the comfort settings off.
I can play PSWorlds Luge and Scavengers Odyssey without issue.
I've put quite a few hours into Skyrim without issue.

All of the above have caused problems for others - but I'm fine.

Bought RE7 day one. Fantastic experience.
But to this day - I can't play RE7, with smooth turning on - without the grid or I'll be bailing after 15 min.
REZ is another game that triggers motion sickness for me - but seemingly not many others.

Different people are susceptible to different types of artificial motion in VR, and there's lots of factors involved.
And RE7 just does something different that I don't handle well(with the comfort settings disabled).

VR legs are definitely a thing - so play more VR to get used to different types of movement - and it might get better over time.
Anytime you start to feel sick - stop playing immediately. You need to wait for the feeling to go away entirely before trying any VR.
I'd recommend testing out all the comfort settings looking for something that works for you.

I think smooth turning is the worst for nausea. It's the one think I'm not used to yet. Does RE7 have smooth turning by default?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I think smooth turning is the worst for nausea. It's the one think I'm not used to yet. Does RE7 have smooth turning by default?
No, it's snap by default. I know because I demoed VR to a friend and he wanted to play RE7 and he immediately turned snap off during the tutorial, despite my advice. He was very sick within minutes, stayed sick for hours, and lost all enthusiasm for VR.

I can't play without smooth turning. It's what's stopping me from playing Deracine even though I bought it.
Do you find it disorientating? I find it annoying but I get used to it within a few minutes.

Strafing is the movement that messes me up every time.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
a question please

today i tries psvr for the first time , spent around 3 hrs of playing
started with astro bot , 2 stages
tetris effect 2 stages
ace combat 2 stages

in all the games i was fine

but in RE7 i started to feel like i'm gonna throw up , although i'm still in the beginning and hadnt spent 15-30 min in it, i rest a bit and let my friend play , he also tried the above list with me but he spent less time then me, he also started to feel like throwing up, i couldnt move myself after i stopped for a while

what's wrong with RE7 ?
i dont remember i've motion sickness or anything else

hope i can fine an answer

later i'd try to start RE only and see if the feeling still the same or not

please advice

regards

edit:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/15/resident-evil-7-vr-sickness-ps-vr/
hmmm, seems im not the only one?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...nformation-and-help-on-motion-sickness.90628/

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Soo i've just hit my first VR disappointment, Bought 2 games last week, one is the adventure game in the Psychonauts universe, wow it's super boring, most puzzle make no sense and it's just super boring, the setting is a good idea thought, but the excecution is really bad.

Second just finish Apex Construct..... what a wasted potential... The first 2 hours are amazing then.... repeat level.... with 2-3 more room..... seriously ? No puzzle variety, always the same freaking thing, find the item to make switch work, find the code on a computer or a paper to advance. Use item, now a wave ennemies. Since repeat... for 6 hours... Nice a stealth mission... just teleport like a mad they will never touch you... short ennemies variety, aie robot, hoo a robot with a shield, now a robot that teleport, a gold robot... the game is also super unbalance on hard, random difficulty spike in the middle then everyhting became a cakewalk. But the story was interesting and the bow gameplay is super solid and compelling. There are a couple of problem with control when you choice sit option, but when you are standing think were much better (especialy picking item on the ground). I think a sequel could help that game, they have a solid base.... but need to work everything else.

So now my fear is to try Mage Tale's...... it look pretty good, but i don't want to fall into the false hype... I think i'll do a litte more wipeout (the zone mode is really amazing at mac speed haha)

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Soo i've just hit my first VR disappointment, Bought 2 games last week, one is the adventure game in the Psychonauts universe, wow it's super boring, most puzzle make no sense and it's just super boring, the setting is a good idea thought, but the excecution is really bad.

Second just finish Apex Construct..... what a wasted potential... The first 2 hours are amazing then.... repeat level.... with 2-3 more room..... seriously ? No puzzle variety, always the same freaking thing, find the item to make switch work, find the code on a computer or a paper to advance. Use item, now a wave ennemies. Since repeat... for 6 hours... Nice a stealth mission... just teleport like a mad they will never touch you... short ennemies variety, aie robot, hoo a robot with a shield, now a robot that teleport, a gold robot... the game is also super unbalance on hard, random difficulty spike in the middle then everyhting became a cakewalk. But the story was interesting and the bow gameplay is super solid and compelling. There are a couple of problem with control when you choice sit option, but when you are standing think were much better (especialy picking item on the ground). I think a sequel could help that game, they have a solid base.... but need to work everything else.

So now my fear is to try Mage Tale's...... it look pretty good, but i don't want to fall into the false hype... I think i'll do a litte more wipeout (the zone mode is really amazing at mac speed haha)
Ok so you've got past the initial honeymoon phase where you want to buy every bit of software? 😂

Nows the time to start getting picky. Check reviews and get recommendations, maybe watch some gameplay videos. You might find a lot of the early stuff less impressive than it was at launch, and people have different tastes. Stating that though, I've not seen many people recommend those 2 games...

Mages Tale does look decent, bit maybe wait for the Wizards and compare and contrast.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I got gun ho and bought the Solus Project and Archangel. Archangel is ok, but Solus Project is trash. After that had to curb my enthusiasm

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got gun ho and bought the Solus Project and Archangel. Archangel is ok, but Solus Project is trash. After that had to curb my enthusiasm
Solus is a great game, well the middle of it is great but has a very poor start, and the ending is a bit meh. I almost sacked it off until a dev pointed a few things out to me and gave it another chance.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so you've got past the initial honeymoon phase where you want to buy every bit of software? 😂

Nows the time to start getting picky. Check reviews and get recommendations, maybe watch some gameplay videos. You might find a lot of the early stuff less impressive than it was at launch, and people have different tastes. Stating that though, I've not seen many people recommend those 2 games...

Mages Tale does look decent, bit maybe wait for the Wizards and compare and contrast.

Yeah pretty sure it'S over, apex i did play the demo and saw the potential of a great game, the bow gameplay was super good, but i didn't expect to be that repetitive. And the other one love the first game on the ps2, came with the code too (i was lucky my copy was used and the code wasn't use). I know it was adventure puzzle like but it was bare bone experience.

It's hard to read objective review, in VR everything look a little more fun then normal, i think in general. And most video really don't help the gameplay at all.... First time i saw a astrobot video, i was like : "this look okay... i guess" and we all agree this is the best freaking experience ever when you play it, same for re7!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's hard to read objective review, in VR everything look a little more fun then normal, i think in general. And most video really don't help the gameplay at all.... First time i saw a astrobot video, i was like : "this look okay... i guess" and we all agree this is the best freaking experience ever when you play it, same for re7!

You are 100% on point here. I'm finding it infinitely harder to gauge game quality / fun on VR than in a non-VR platform. I wonder if this is a skill that develops over time like gauging "normal" videogames is, but right now all my metrics and appraisal skills are useless. It's a combination of:
- The baseline for VR games is very different; a game that would be simple and dull in non-VR can be super fun in VR.
- VR-centric channels usually praise anything and everything, perhaps because of the above.
- Huge visual experience gap between watching the game on screen and being immersed in it.
- Huge gameplay experience gap between watching a game and using VR controls, especially Move controllers (both in the good and bad way, controls can be fantastic or frustratingly broken).

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Asked this in the Tetris demo thread but didn't see a reply. Question just played the demo in vr on my og ps4. It seemed really jaggy? More so than any game I can remember? Is this a demo thing or will it be the same in the full game

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much of Ace Combat 7 is actually in VR? Is it the whole campaign or just a few levels?

And is the AC5 bonus limited or a guarantee with every copy?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Asked this in the Tetris demo thread but didn't see a reply. Question just played the demo in vr on my og ps4. It seemed really jaggy? More so than any game I can remember? Is this a demo thing or will it be the same in the full game

Personally, I do not see jaggies. Regardless, to answer your question, the demo and full version look identical.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Solus is a great game, well the middle of it is great but has a very poor start, and the ending is a bit meh. I almost sacked it off until a dev pointed a few things out to me and gave it another chance.
Agreed, struggled at first but then really enjoyed the exploration and survival in the weird alien world.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Surgeon Simulator VR is £3.99! I dived in at that price, and I am 100% impressed. It's one of the better looking VR games, but it's the Move controllers that make the difference. It's unplayable with the regular controller. With Move, I was getting A++ on a couple of missions. But it's fun to just mess around. I was throwing lungs up in the air and batting them away. I was throwing bits of ribs and trying to land them in the cup on the table. It's incredible fun so far

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
How much of Ace Combat 7 is actually in VR? Is it the whole campaign or just a few levels?

And is the AC5 bonus limited or a guarantee with every copy?

3 missions, plus a bonus "aerial show mode," where you stand around on different parts of an aircraft carrier while planes fly by performing the maneuvers you set. So in that sense, it feels a bit like an extended demo, but it's a great experience while it lasts. It just doesn't last long, that's all.