• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
i played re7 for the 3rd time , and this time it was amazing
i played standing , and used my body movement to look around instead of using right analog , i felt better and didnt get any stomachache for 1hr , it came later but it was simple and not hard like before

im amazed that most of the times i get camera msg of being out of bound , to find out myself moved away from the coverage area without awareness

the bad thing that all this happened at my friend's , while at my home i dont have that space at all and all my set up is on the ground ... so idk if it's gonna work out or not , and i was planning to play all my games sitting down even if i miss some of the experience , but now i believe that it's meant to be played standing except for the games that mostly are driving....

Make Lost Odyssee 2 cowherds!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well in the next gen thread a possibly credible source has said that we will be looking at USB 3.2/3.1 ports for PS5, the 3.2 port capable of video and data comms over the same cable. Whether or not it can carry enough power for the screen is another thing (mabe USB3 can - I have no idea) but it could mean one thin cable instead of two thick - if they choose to still go with wired which I think they will as wireless is likely too expensive (unless they have an optional PSVR2 Pro or add-on wireless unit).

more importantly (IMO) it can mean no breakout box, no HDMI daisy chaining, no additional power cable etc - I think thats what he means by fewer wires. The V2 is already effectively one wire, just breaking out into two plugs at the end.

A single USB C connector at the front of PS5 for your PSVR 2 headset would be great. No installation needed - HDMI to your TV as normal. Add in 'inside out' tracking like WMR and Oculus quest and you don't even need a separate camera plugged in.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...i was planning to play all my games sitting down even if i miss some of the experience , but now i believe that it's meant to be played standing except for the games that mostly are driving....
Well, it's not that games - including RE7 - were meant to be played standing, instead it's that you have problems playing them seated. I've never had a problem playing RE7 while seated; I've never even played it standing at all. Similarly, I don't think Skyrim was meant to be played either seated or standing, since it wasn't designed to be played in VR at all, but I couldn't have put in the 180 hours that I've already put into Skyrim if I'd done it while standing.

In general, it's probably a good bet that if a VR game doesn't use the Move controllers, it probably was intended to be played sitting, since there's no particular reason to be standing. And even the converse isn't a guarantee - Rush Of Blood is objectively better with Move controllers, but it's clearly intended to be played seated, just as your character is doing in the game.

Last edited:

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's not that games - including RE7 - were meant to be played standing, instead it's that you have problems playing them seated. I've never had a problem playing RE7 while seated; I've never even played it standing at all. Similarly, I don't think Skyrim was meant to be played either seated or standing, since it wasn't designed to be played in VR at all, but I couldn't have put in the 180 hours that I've already put into Skyrim if I'd done it while standing. In general, if a VR game doesn't use the Move controllers, it probably was intended to be played sitting.
I think I prefer to play most standing games, standing. I feel that most VR games where your character is standing are more immersive when standing. I only really sit for seated games or if I'm really tired. Each to their own tho so I won't argue it... That's an old (PSVR Reddit) debate.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
i prefer most games seated as it's obviously more comfortable, and then VR enhances the games while still being like playing regularly and not feel like i'm doing sports :D but yeah, if a game uses Moves' it's probably better standing or on a small stool as you might need to grab things from your belt or from the floor. Couch or a bigger chair blocks that.

RE7 was great from a beanbag :D

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I pretty much play all games standing, I feel they're all twice as fun / immersive. It's not even just the ability to turn around, but to crouch, duck, etc. Sure, some games are a workout (you can replace your calf gym routine with a few games of Rec Room's Rise of Jumbotron), but that's a feature, not a bug. :)

The only games I play seated are those that are pretty explicit about that being the intended way to play them, like Wipeout or RIGS.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Space Junkies - Full Metal Piano - Release Date Trailer | PS VR

As joeblow mentioned it's coming March 26. Interesting trailer - nice to see something a bit different.

Last edited:

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA

As joeblow mentioned it's coming March 26. Interesting trailer - nice to see something a bit different.

I'm a little surprised by the general reaction of this trailer, I shouldn't be though. Would have been better to just show some gameplay, but I appreciated them trying to be creative.

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird. They have the VR guy miming playing the piano in the middle - but that's after seeing them mucking around heaps before hand.
Feel like it would be a lot better if it was setup first with the player gearing up - then the in game character starting to play coinciding with the music starting - then seeing all the other mucking around stuff.

VR games are more defined by how the player movements relate to gameplay mechanics than traditional gaming and there's far more options in how they can be implemented - so it's important to show how the game plays. The short cuts really limit the overall impression of the game you can get from this trailer.

Then again... we live in a world where every game is livestreamed start to finish - so there's always options to figure out what a game is gonna be like before buying it.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Beat Saber had something like Zone mode from Wipeout but with progressive tracks that build and build or mixes that are an hour+ long.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
So I received my PS Moves this week and yesterday tried them out for the first time.

And boy, I'm kinda happy that I did not get them earlier, because it is possible that my first experience would be a lot worse.

I was afraid of lack of space and setup issues before I got my headset the most, but playing seated and with dual shock it's been practically perfect for me. I could put my camera almost anywhere and head tracking was great, it was not losing my position and I could just put camera in a drawer and headset back in the box when I finished and everything was not too bad. Connecting it back was just putting those two things back and I was ready to go. Playing Astro Bot is wonderful and amazing, Gran Turismo Sport apart from not too great resolution was a lot of fun and Wipeout was amazing as well (though it gave me a bit of motion sickness as the only title so far).

So I thought that I should not have been afraid and the tech is actually amazing and almost non-problematic. I decided to buy Moves, because it should just add to the experience, right? And they made everything 100 times more cumbersome and frustrating :( Now, apart from just Dualshock I need 2 more controllers to keep track of where I put them (I still need DS4 to navigate PS4 menus because I can't do it with Move right?). This on its own would be fine though.

The largest problems started when I realised that I indeed don't probably have enough space to play. Setting up camera so that the game is happy to see me standing both in the circle and having headset in the correct rectangle (Batman) was impossible for me. I tried playing sitting, because it was the only way I could even start the game, but then camera does not see my hands if I put them down and loses tracking. When I was able to find a game that allowed me to at least try playing (Job Simulator) I was just bumping into things with my moves and turning around made me tangled in the cable so the experience was not great because of this. I don't have too many options with the camera or moving my furnitures around. I am thinking of buying a table tripod and trying to put it on a table or some cupboards to at least have some additional options. I am not sure how much it will help though as the camera cable is really short and thick and does not allow for too much manoeuvrability.

On a positive side, I was able to play Rush of Blood and because it is seated and not much movement is required, it was really fun. I'm just a bit bummed that I might be limited to only some of the VR games (though I was really looking forward to Beat Saber and Superhot but I don't think that it is happening right now). Which is probably still worth it, but I just need to live with it.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but I was really surprised how well it worked with DS4 and I was not expecting such a downgrade in experience by just adding controllers that were supposed to make it more fun.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So I received my PS Moves this week and yesterday tried them out for the first time.

And boy, I'm kinda happy that I did not get them earlier, because it is possible that my first experience would be a lot worse.

I was afraid of lack of space and setup issues before I got my headset the most, but playing seated and with dual shock it's been practically perfect for me. I could put my camera almost anywhere and head tracking was great, it was not losing my position and I could just put camera in a drawer and headset back in the box when I finished and everything was not too bad. Connecting it back was just putting those two things back and I was ready to go. Playing Astro Bot is wonderful and amazing, Gran Turismo Sport apart from not too great resolution was a lot of fun and Wipeout was amazing as well (though it gave me a bit of motion sickness as the only title so far).

So I thought that I should not have been afraid and the tech is actually amazing and almost non-problematic. I decided to buy Moves, because it should just add to the experience, right? And they made everything 100 times more cumbersome and frustrating :( Now, apart from just Dualshock I need 2 more controllers to keep track of where I put them (I still need DS4 to navigate PS4 menus because I can't do it with Move right?). This on its own would be fine though.

The largest problems started when I realised that I indeed don't probably have enough space to play. Setting up camera so that the game is happy to see me standing both in the circle and having headset in the correct rectangle (Batman) was impossible for me. I tried playing sitting, because it was the only way I could even start the game, but then camera does not see my hands if I put them down and loses tracking. When I was able to find a game that allowed me to at least try playing (Job Simulator) I was just bumping into things with my moves and turning around made me tangled in the cable so the experience was not great because of this. I don't have too many options with the camera or moving my furnitures around. I am thinking of buying a table tripod and trying to put it on a table or some cupboards to at least have some additional options. I am not sure how much it will help though as the camera cable is really short and thick and does not allow for too much manoeuvrability.

On a positive side, I was able to play Rush of Blood and because it is seated and not much movement is required, it was really fun. I'm just a bit bummed that I might be limited to only some of the VR games (though I was really looking forward to Beat Saber and Superhot but I don't think that it is happening right now). Which is probably still worth it, but I just need to live with it.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but I was really surprised how well it worked with DS4 and I was not expecting such a downgrade in experience by just adding controllers that were supposed to make it more fun.

Two tips:
1) Put your camera on a higher surface (like, higher than your own height, standing), pointed down at you. This is the trick to getting the Moves to be tracked at all heights, standing and sitting. It works best if you can put the camera somewhat far away. Remember that you don't have to be facing the TV when playing, i.e. if the TV is in your north wall and your couch is on the south one, you can put the camera on the east wall and sit on a chair (or stand up) near the west wall.
2) You can actually navigate the PS4 menu with the Moves. To move, hold the trigger button and tilt the move in a direction. The face buttons and Share / Options buttons on the right Move work as expected.

Edit: Corrected that it's the trigger button you have to hold, not center. :D

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Two tips:
1) Put your camera on a higher surface (like, higher than your own height, standing), pointed down at you. This is the trick to getting the Moves to be tracked at all heights, standing and sitting. It works best if you can put the camera somewhat far away. Remember that you don't have to be facing the TV when playing, i.e. if the TV is in your north wall and your couch is on the south one, you can put the camera on the east wall and sit on a chair (or stand up) near the west wall.
2) You can actually navigate the PS4 menu with the Moves. To move, hold the center button and tilt the move in a direction. The face buttons and Share / Options buttons on the right Move work as expected.
To navigate the PS4 menus, you have to hold the Triggers. The center button confirms.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Two tips:
2) You can actually navigate the PS4 menu with the Moves. To move, hold the trigger button and tilt the move in a direction. The face buttons and Share / Options buttons on the right Move work as expected.

Edit: Corrected that it's the trigger button you have to hold, not center. :D
To navigate the PS4 menus, you have to hold the Triggers. The center button confirms.

Thanks for the navigation tip. That will help a lot! :)

As far as the camera location is concerned, this would not be a problem for me if the camera cord was longer and more flexible. Right now it is really limiting and the only option is to put it on top of the tv (but then I don't have too much space behind me and can stand approx 1m in front of the camera. I have one other option, but I need to buy some kind of a tripod to mount the camera because otherwise I am not able to mount it in anyway as the cable is so thick and stiff that it pulls it to the side a bit.

I mean I will try to figure something out still because I need Beat Saber in my life :D If not, I will just play sitting experiences as it is still incredible. It's just that after first few weeks where I thought that everything is perfect and the moves will just be a cherry on top, it's a bit disappointing that it uncovered some issues instead.

Also, I found that when I'm too far from camera, I sometimes get pulsating screen, but maybe it's due to something else (like some reflection or I would need to turn off lights, but it's not an issue when I was like 1m from the camera).

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
...Also, I found that when I'm too far from camera, I sometimes get pulsating screen, but maybe it's due to something else (like some reflection or I would need to turn off lights, but it's not an issue when I was like 1m from the camera).
The recommended distance is actually more like 2 meters; I'm actually more surprised that you didn't have issues when you were only 1 meter away, but my guess is that when you were that close you were occluding some light or reflection that is now causing issues.

vr-playarea-01-ps4-image-en-24aug16

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
There's something bugging me about my VR device that I need advice on. I've noticed that, in really dark (game) environments, there's a faint sort of vertical white line on each of the lenses, and they're practically symmetrical. It's only really noticeable when the game is dark but otherwise I don't see them at all. However, it is kind of irritating when playing a cave level in Astro Bot for instance, and just being constantly reminded that they're there. Is this common in all PSVR devices or do I perhaps have a faulty product?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I've never seen it on my launch v.1 PSVR. I do get the "mura effect" in particularly dark scenes, where there's a faint linen-looking pattern in the blackness. But no stand-out lines on mine, AFAICT.

Try closing one eye and then the other; if the line's in the same place regardless of which lens, I'd assume it's part of the signal that's being sent to the headset. If not, it could actually be something on the lenses. Regardless, I find it useful to occasionally clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth moistened with distilled water; can't hurt, although it doesn't sound like it will help.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've never seen it on my launch v.1 PSVR. I do get the "mura effect" in particularly dark scenes, where there's a faint linen-looking pattern in the blackness. But no stand-out lines on mine, AFAICT.

Try closing one eye and then the other; if the line's in the same place regardless of which lens, I'd assume it's part of the signal that's being sent to the headset. If not, it could actually be something on the lenses. Regardless, I find it useful to occasionally clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth moistened with distilled water; can't hurt, although it doesn't sound like it will help.

I have a V2 and same, I have a bit of mura effect (looks like the background is cloth during black screens), but no particularly visible lines.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something bugging me about my VR device that I need advice on. I've noticed that, in really dark (game) environments, there's a faint sort of vertical white line on each of the lenses, and they're practically symmetrical. It's only really noticeable when the game is dark but otherwise I don't see them at all. However, it is kind of irritating when playing a cave level in Astro Bot for instance, and just being constantly reminded that they're there. Is this common in all PSVR devices or do I perhaps have a faulty product?

From your description that sounds like mura. The difference between light levels on each side of the display.

Bugged the fuck out of me at first but can't remember the last time noticed it. It will look different on every headset. Also try turning down the brightness (I have mine about half way), this helps a lot with overall image quality and how long you can use the headset for.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not the mura effect. The mura effect is caused by the fact that each pixel has a different black level, so the pattern is randomized; there aren't "sides" to it.

Understanding the Difference Between 'Screen Door Effect', 'Mura', & 'Aliasing'

Technically yes, mine is just a much more simplistic variation of the information provided. Black levels, brightness and contrast are how light is emitted therefore "light". Different pixels and how that lines up with the opposite pixel seen by different eyes "sides" showing slight variations to create a mesh like effect rather than a cloud like effect seen on standard screens.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you know of any other interesting games coming out this year on PSVR? Besides Dreams, Blood & Truth, and Sariento I have no idea what's on the horizon.

The Wizards, Falcon Age, and Undead Citadel. Also hearing good things about Shadow Legends.

Anyone pick up Dick Wilde 2? Been enjoying the hell out of it.

It's a pretty solid game, but ironically I found it to be way too easy. Also ran into bugs, and thought it could have had more variety of weapons, environments and enemies. The bosses went down really easy, which is a shame because they looked great and it seemed a little underwhelming. I think the core game is good, but it wasn't properly fleshed out.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Received an email from PlayStation today "get your PlayStation news round-up" that highlighted The PS VR Show, a monthly YouTube series where Australian gaming TV host Nich Richardson hosts guest YouTuber's as they play a PS VR game. They just released the third show but I hadn't heard of it before. Not sure how long it will continue but it's an interesting shot at marketing by Sony.

Episode 1: Tetris Effect and Cool PaintrVR

Episode 2: Creed: Rise to Glory and Beat Saber

Oct 25, 2017
Received an email from PlayStation today "get your PlayStation news round-up" that highlighted The PS VR Show, a monthly YouTube series where Australian gaming TV host Nich Richardson hosts guest YouTuber's as they play a PS VR game. They just released the third show but I hadn't heard of it before. Not sure how long it will continue but it's an interesting shot at marketing by Sony.
Yeah, I was surprised to get this notification regarding episode 3.

I don't think I got any notice about any previous episodes.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to start a thread about this but I'm hoping someone here might have knowledge about my problem. My moves won't charge. I haven't used them in maybe about half a year or so. I read somewhere that ruins their battery, is that true?

I've left them plugged in for a bit. The charging light blinks for a few seconds and then they stop. If I plug them directly into the PS4 I can get them to temporarily turn on, then it says they have low battery, and then they won't turn back on even when plugged in.

Has anyone experienced this? I was just getting ready to play SuperHot so I'm really disappointed.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I didn't want to start a thread about this but I'm hoping someone here might have knowledge about my problem. My moves won't charge. I haven't used them in maybe about half a year or so. I read somewhere that ruins their battery, is that true?

I've left them plugged in for a bit. The charging light blinks for a few seconds and then they stop. If I plug them directly into the PS4 I can get them to temporarily turn on, then it says they have low battery, and then they won't turn back on even when plugged in.

Has anyone experienced this? I was just getting ready to play SuperHot so I'm really disappointed.

When I first charged my PS3 era moves for the first time in years I had to connect them to the PS4 to get them to start charging. Seems like yours are acting the same way. I would just leave them charging at your PS4 for a while to see if that does the trick. After that I never had any problems charging them (I started using the official charging station soon after, so I don't really know how they behave now using a regular USB cable).

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

I don't remember if the Moves have the same problem that the DS3 had, but make sure you're not using a standard wall charger to charge the Moves. Standard wall chargers won't work for DS3s (and Moves?), it has to be something with some smarts, like a laptop or console, otherwise they won't charge at all. How long are you charging them on the PS4?

My Moves were unused for years and work fine now; it's possible yours are damaged, but it's not a certainty.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
When I first charged my PS3 era moves for the first time in years I had to connect them to the PS4 to get them to start charging. Seems like yours are acting the same way. I would just leave them charging at your PS4 for a while to see if that does the trick. After that I never had any problems charging them (I started using the official charging station soon after, so I don't really know how they behave now using a regular USB cable).
I don't remember if the Moves have the same problem that the DS3 had, but make sure you're not using a standard wall charger to charge the Moves. Standard wall chargers won't work for DS3s (and Moves?), it has to be something with some smarts, like a laptop or console, otherwise they won't charge at all. How long are you charging them on the PS4?

My Moves were unused for years and work fine now; it's possible yours are damaged, but it's not a certainty.

Thanks for your input. I got one remote charging on the stand. Don't know how. But I'll tinker with the other one a bit and hopefully I can get it working too.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I had a bit of trouble with one old Move and have had these symptoms with a few other devices. Keep reconnecting once it looks.like not charging, try leaving on charge overnight, rinse and repeat and you could bring them back to life.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I had a bit of trouble with one old Move and have had these symptoms with a few other devices. Keep reconnecting once it looks.like not charging, try leaving on charge overnight, rinse and repeat and you could bring them back to life.

Yeah it seemed to help the one I got charging by plugging it in and connecting it to the PS4 a couple times. Then I had to leave before I could get to the other one. I put them both on the charging stand, and when I got back the one I was messing with was still charging when I got back. I have the other one plugged into the PS4 right now.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Blasted through the first two mini campaigns for TrackMania Turbo this morning. It's a pretty impressive showing for a free update.

Also played through about an hour of Bound. Had no idea what to expect, but I'm similarly impressed by it too!

Give both a try if you can

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get back into The Persistance and finally beat it. Man the final deck is just so dumb. The zombies with the guns are just too accurate and they nail you for like 350 health each shot and they can rapid fire. I used my swarm drone to distract one and then another just straight up ignored them and went for the kill.

They were always annoying enemies but on Deck 4 they're the hardest enemy.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Trying to get back into The Persistance and finally beat it. Man the final deck is just so dumb. The zombies with the guns are just too accurate and they nail you for like 350 health each shot and they can rapid fire. I used my swarm drone to distract one and then another just straight up ignored them and went for the kill.

They were always annoying enemies but on Deck 4 they're the hardest enemy.

If you teleport they can't see you, only when walking. Usually just teleport right behind em and double tap em.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you teleport they can't see you, only when walking. Usually just teleport right behind em and double tap em.

Hm. Maybe will have to try that. I had one thrown around with the grav gun and they STILL SHOT ME even when flailing around. Their accuracy is very aim botty.

Also so hows Honor & Duty? I played the beta and was... less than impressed.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Déraciné last night and while it's not the best at "being a VR game", it delivered for me as a narrative adventure slash walking sim. It told a nice little tale where bits and pieces of the mystery were unfolded little at a time and in the end, it had created an interesting world and story that at least I cared about. There isn't much action though, the puzzles are simple and there isn't much about doing things in Virtual Reality but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the world building and story. Feels like its mixed reception to a degree can be attributed to people's expectations of what a VR game should be looking at reviews.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Déraciné last night and while it's not the best at "being a VR game", it delivered for me as a narrative adventure slash walking sim. It told a nice little tale where bits and pieces of the mystery were unfolded little at a time and in the end, it had created an interesting world and story that at least I cared about. There isn't much action though, the puzzles are simple and there isn't much about doing things in Virtual Reality but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the world building and story. Feels like its mixed reception to a degree can be attributed to people's expectations of what a VR game should be looking at reviews.

I really liked it too. It's one of my favourite worlds that I've explored in VR. I really hope From makes more of these small, atmospheric VR titles.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Kingdom Hearts VR thing last night.

It is absolutely garbage. I don't even know why they wasted their time making it.

One thing it does do, however, is hit on every single thing you should never do in a VR experience.

Right off the bat it requires you to turn around to see who is talking to you.

Then it pulls you along a tube with videos playing on it that are for some reason all playing on skewed triangles.

Finally it dumps you into a scene where you need to look to your left to see who is talking to you, then again just plays some videos. This time awkwardly textured onto a large flat plane in front of you.

Ugh.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it too. It's one of my favourite worlds that I've explored in VR. I really hope From makes more of these small, atmospheric VR titles.
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it since it seems to have gotten a pretty middling reception from critics and it barely got any votes in ERA's GOTY awards last year. I guess people have some expectations of what a VR (and FromSoft) title should be and this was more focused on the narrative side. Absolutely gorgeous game, even on my OG PS4. It's a top 3 PSVR game for me.

I played the Kingdom Hearts VR thing last night…. Ugh.
Yup, biggest waste of time I have seen. Not good VR, not interesting in any way and not valuable for learning about the past, present or future of the series. Seems there was something advertised as "Coming Soon" or similar in it though. Does anyone know what that is?