• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Good preview and interview with Sean Murray.

Ambling around procedurally-generated planets feels incredible in VR, the sheer vibrancy of the art style taking on a whole new dimension when you can poke your head closer to each of its wondrous spaces. Movement feels natural, as does doing everything from collecting resources and firing your laser pistol to manipulating the terrain. Accessing in-game elements such as the map or your inventory is as simple as looking at your hands or grasping at your backpack, No Man's Sky VR is designed to be as intuitive as possible and what the team has been able to achieve here is impressive. That's especially true when you clamber aboard your spaceship and place one hand on the thruster and another on the joystick, gently teasing the pair of them as you begin to venture out of the atmosphere...

...and in an instant I know: No Man's Sky is the VR game I have waited my entire life to play.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/no-ma...ty-game-i-have-waited-my-entire-life-to-play/

Cannot wait.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Quite poignant really, After the launch of NMS, It's actually turned into giving most of us our dreams. A sci-fi space adventure in Virtual Reality.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
In order to celebrate not having time to play video games I decided to add another game to my backlog: Space Pirate Trainers. Extremely positive reviews on Steam and it costed me 6,99 euros. There are some other PSVR games on sale on the EU store.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
In order to celebrate not having time to play video games I decided to add another game to my backlog: Space Pirate Trainers. Extremely positive reviews on Steam and it costed me 6,99 euros. There are some other PSVR games on sale on the EU store.

I still haven't pulled the trigger, will probably do so tomorrow, but if you want to also post impressions they would be much appreciated.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
If I wanted to make the jump to pcvr, where should I start?
Make sure, and make sure, your PC is VR ready. Do not hover around the minimum spec, the experience will be awful.

Prepare to read up and install a lot of shits. You really need to know a lot of things on PC shits. Tweaking and stuff. One example, I just got a Rift last month, had to install oculus tray tool (third party software) for tweaking and shits, had to edit my registry disabling mura effect etc etc.

However, beyond the initial hurdles, you should be good. Oculus made everything quite streamlined if your PC is really up to the game. But if it's not, prepare to tweak a lot of shits.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Has anybody had a hands on with Everybodys golf vr yet? The only video I could find is Japanese and I can't work out what is going on with the putting(it kinda looks a bit broken) .

It's the vr game that I wanted since psvr was announced.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Make sure, and make sure, your PC is VR ready. Do not hover around the minimum spec, the experience will be awful.

Prepare to read up and install a lot of shits. You really need to know a lot of things on PC shits. Tweaking and stuff. One example, I just got a Rift last month, had to install oculus tray tool (third party software) for tweaking and shits, had to edit my registry disabling mura effect etc etc.

However, beyond the initial hurdles, you should be good. Oculus made everything quite streamlined if your PC is really up to the game. But if it's not, prepare to tweak a lot of shits.
Why would it require things like registry edit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it require things like registry edit.

Its a PC. Sometimes things are lovely and smooth. Sometimes you want to hit it with a hammer.

With Rift I think (non-S) you can have issues with enough USB 3 bandwidth. I know with my WMR headset I sometimes need to disconnect/reconnect/reboot which is frustrating when my kids just want to use it and I'm doing IT support over the phone from work.

Its one of the reasons PSVR (and Oculus Quest) are attractive.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its a PC. Sometimes things are lovely and smooth. Sometimes you want to hit it with a hammer.

With Rift I think (non-S) you can have issues with enough USB 3 bandwidth. I know with my WMR headset I sometimes need to disconnect/reconnect/reboot which is frustrating when my kids just want to use it and I'm doing IT support over the phone from work.

Its one of the reasons PSVR (and Oculus Quest) are attractive.
I was planning on going with the oculus s.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
The PS VR Show I Episode 4 - PlayStation Australia
Surgeon Simulator ER
and Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality with Bajo (well known Aussie gaming host) and P-Tesh (Aussie YouTuber).

I was pissing myself laughing in the Surgeon Simulator section. A brutal disregard for patient health. Great to see this series continue.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
An in-depth look at the 3dRudder motion controller

This June, we'll release the 3dRudder. This officially-licensed foot-powered motion controller for PlayStation VR will kick your experience up a notch across more than 30 compatible PS VR games (25 at launch). Here's everything you need to know.

To use the 3dRudder, you just need to plug it in to your PS4 console via USB. No additional setup is necessary and the device is compatible (and combinable) with PlayStation Move motion controllers, the PS VR Aim controller, and Dualshock 4.

And this is only the beginning: more PS VR games will be getting 3dRudder support in the future. The 3dRudder will launch on 17th June, with a RRP of £119/€119.

List of compatible games is included in the article:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ler-for-playstation-vr-launching-this-summer/

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting concept. Not sure how I feel about it yet, I think I might need to go down to a store and give a whirl first to see what it's like. Of course, it's all a moot point if it gives you back the ability to strafe, but you can't handle smooth motion in VR and get sick. But for people who can handle it, it seems to solve that problem, assuming you're okay with remaining seated.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Wish that 3d rudder was a little lower in price. And by the time it is lowered, new moves might be out. Not sure how both could exist when they do come out.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ The current Move controllers have lasted two console generations with no new features added in that time. That's going on ten years. There is absolutely 100% zero chance that Sony will bring out a version with analog sticks for it on the PS4. The earliest would be the PS5/PSVR2 combo for that kind of significant upgrade (especially since the games to support it won't appear until then).

3DRudder and Move2 don't have to coexist this generation because there won't be a Move2 'til next gen.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Playing with the rudder on an OG PS4 sounds less than ideal if you need an available usb port. Mine has two, one is used for the PSVR and the other one for my hard drive with all my games on.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
The PS VR Show I Episode 4 - PlayStation Australia
Surgeon Simulator ER
and Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality with Bajo (well known Aussie gaming host) and P-Tesh (Aussie YouTuber).

I was pissing myself laughing in the Surgeon Simulator section. A brutal disregard for patient health. Great to see this series continue.

I really enjoyed the first episode that has them trying out Tetris Effect! Will need to catch up and watch the more recent ones, I think it was a brilliant idea for Sony Aus to give this series the greenlight. Nick is a great presenter (and a genuinely lovely guy in person).

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IGN Beyond were surprisingly pro PSVR in their last podcast...

I don't look at IGN often but there seems to be a big discrepancy between features and reviews.

The reviews still feel half arsed and stick to the same crap narrative. The features side seem to be far more positive and on par with the rest of their content.

Eurogamer seems to also be far more positive. It use to only be Ian and his VR corner but loads of other writers are clearly informed and know their stuff without falling back on early day cliches that were often nonsense.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
My cat has no fear. I've already smacked him with the move controller once when he was in the sofa behind me at a session in december :p
Photo taken by my wife today.

nDjwrMP.jpg

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
How is A Fisherman's Tale? Steam reviews are very good, but wondering how it is on PSVR.

I've tried searching but haven't found any Era impressions?

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What are some good experiences for my non gamer wife?
She liked the battlefront experience, but could hardly control it. Shes playing the psychonauts game and is really enjoying.

Loves beat saber, hates horror.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
She liked the battlefront experience, but could hardly control it. Shes playing the psychonauts game and is really enjoying.

My none gamer wife and none gaming relatives really enjoy dick wilde (with Aim). Feel very intuitive, funny and involved. That the game I get the most repeat request at family get together.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My cat has no fear. I've already smacked him with the move controller once when he was in the sofa behind me at a session in december :p

nDjwrMP.jpg

I nearly had a heart attack when playing level 3 of Until Dawn Rush of Blood and the final scare in the level (if you have played it you know the one) made me jump in a way that my hand brushed one of our cats (laying on the couch's armrest). The tactile feedback adding to something terrifying appearing right next to my face in VR was almost more than I could take. :D

Perhaps SuperHot might be up her alley? Abstract visuals, dual Move controllers, really fun gameplay. My own SO liked it quite a bit, she doesn't generally like "violent" games but the glass-like abstract world makes it that much more palatable.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just ordered a PSVR from Amazon today. Should arrive Sunday, so I'm looking forward to it! I mainly bought it in anticipation for NMS VR, but it comes with Moss and Astrobots, which I've heard good things about.

Not sure what other games are worth grabbing though, so I've been looking into it!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what other games are worth grabbing though, so I've been looking into it!

Download the free demo discs off the PSN, that'll give you a good sampling. Wipeout is a must, especially if you already have it. Resident Evil 7 is great, but terrifying. You've got a lot of options...

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Space Pirate Trainer has gone over decently for non-gamers in my experience. It's a simple wave shooter using the moves, which makes the gameplay very intuitive. You point and shoot, and occasionaly use one of your moves as a shield. It doesn't really have much variation, but its simplicity makes it easy to grasp, and it's quite fun for what it is.

Also, Astrobot is loved by all who try it.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just ordered a PSVR from Amazon today. Should arrive Sunday, so I'm looking forward to it! I mainly bought it in anticipation for NMS VR, but it comes with Moss and Astrobots, which I've heard good things about.

The persistence, Headmaster, Statik, Dirt Rally, Skyrim

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this posted. Making of Astro Bot at this year's GDC. A talk by Nicolas Doucet. Also very interesting is a slide of never before seen DS4 prototypes he shows in the first 10 minutes.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025746/Making-of-ASTRO-BOT-Rescue

(it's really a shame that this cannot be emedded on a gaming forum...)

That was really good. Thanks.

Now we just need the metroidvania in VR like he says at the end. I want that in VR more than any other genre (especially first person with full mobility).

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Haven't seen this posted. Making of Astro Bot at this year's GDC. A talk by Nicolas Doucet. Also very interesting is a slide of never before seen DS4 prototypes he shows in the first 10 minutes.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025746/Making-of-ASTRO-BOT-Rescue

(it's really a shame that this cannot be emedded on a gaming forum...)
Definitely enjoyed that. Asobi team is getting some spotlight. Also loved the plug at the end of encouraging other developers to break convention of what they know of classic games and try to think of unique ways they can be translated into VR. It doesn't all have to be 1st person.

Regarding his statement on the their intention of no backtracking, I felt he wasn't too commited to believing it was good. "Wasn't perfect but got the job done" as he hurried to the next slide, so I'm assuming they heard some negative feedback on that front. I hope for the next one that they allow you to backtrack.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

nDjwrMP.jpg

Mine attacked the PSVR cable while I was playing other day lol
After that I close the living room where I play when I start my PSVR sessions.
NO CAT ALLOWED!

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I bought an aim controller with bravo team a few days ago and what an amazing blast it has been! I know people say bravo team is kinda garbage but I've been having fun so far. I really bought it for Firewall which I haven't even booted yet since the controller came. I'm redownloading doom as well right now. Is farpoint worth 25$?

I'm having a hard time finding an online partner in bravo team for a trophy though, that's the worst part (and not understanding for like half the game that L1 is the most useful button in the whole game...

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an aim controller with bravo team a few days ago and what an amazing blast it has been! I know people say bravo team is kinda garbage but I've been having fun so far. I really bought it for Firewall which I haven't even booted yet since the controller came. I'm redownloading doom as well right now. Is farpoint worth 25$?

I'm having a hard time finding an online partner in bravo team for a trophy though, that's the worst part (and not understanding for like half the game that L1 is the most useful button in the whole game...

Farpoint is definitely worth the money, You already have the aim aswell so you're ready to go. Farpoint is stunning visually, Gunplay top tier. Do challenge/Co-op mode before story and you can take your unlocked weapons to story Mode instead of using the basic ones they give during the campaign, Same with armour skins.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So Déraciné is $10 at gamestop so I went to pick it up. Hadn't used my PSVR since last year I believe and man I forgot how nice the screen was on PSVR. I seriously think it looks better than my Oculus RIft even if it's a lower resolution. RGB screen is seriously a massive step up from the Pentile screens on PC.

Oct 2, 2018

far point is amazing. No spoilers but the sense of scale in one scene is amazing. I need more like it.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017

Moss/Astrobot are a good shout with their simple controls. PS Worlds has some good experiences too. Shooty Fruity is fun and simple too.

Depends what controllers you have or are getting, to get you started though:

DS4 - Wipeout Omega, RE7
Moves - Skyrim, Rush Of Blood
Aim - Firewall, Farpoint, Borderlands 2

Make sure you play with the all comfort settings in every game. Most people that try mine actually feel worse with comfort settings on vs just turn everything off and have smooth turning but each to their own.

Farpoint is great but it does go on sale a lot so I would hold off and wait for a 50% off sale on it or something.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
The landscape seems to be moving so fast I do wonder how games (that have been long in development) like Star Child and Golem will fare. Hope that they are trying to keep pace with what else is (and will be) available..

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My thoughts after kicking around with it for a few hours yesterday:

The good:
- Setting it up was pretty straight forward and easy. It's basically plug and play, with some calibration stuff to perform once it's all hooked up, but it was fairly painless.

- Comfortable to wear, wasn't too heavy or cumbersome and fit over my glasses. I was concerned it'd be weighted heavily in the front, but no, it's very balanced.

- The virtual "cinema mode" screen is awesome for watching movies and playing non-VR games. I have a 50" tv, but the screen sizes in "cinema mode" are 117", 163", and 226", so it felt like I was watching a movie or playing a game on my own personal movie theater. Very cool.

- When playing non-VR games and watching tv/movies, I was able to lie back on my bed in a nice comfy position and get lost in it. After a while, I didn't even notice I was watching/playing with a contraption on my head. XD

- 3D movies on this thing is great. I popped in Avatar 3D and watched a little bit of it and I was very impressed. I can definitely see myself getting more 3D/Blu Ray/DVD combos in the future.

- I tried a few VR demos, but didn't play many of my full length games in it, but there's some fun stuff. Battlezone, Raw Data, and wipEout HD collection we're pretty sweet in VR. I'll have to play Astrobots and Moss later (the full games came with the PSVR itself), and do write ups on them. From what I hear, they are two of the best VR games on the platform, so I'm looking forward to diving into them.

- Allumette was a super charming and neat VR experience. It wasn't a game, but more of an interactive short film that allowed you to move around as the story was unfolding. Being able to stand up and observe the world in all degrees as the film played out was very cool. It was simple, but a great first experience with the headset. I may have to download more of these VR experiences to see if they were as well done as this one.

- The Raw Data demo caught me by surprise in that I thought it'd be kind of generic point and shoot mechanics, but it was very fun. Using the Move controllers as my dual pistols, and taking out wave after wave of robots trying to destroy a data core was tense and enjoyable. Aiming the pistols and dual firing, Lara Croft style, holsterong the guns at my hips to reload, made me think of how fun a Time Crisis game would be in VR.

- wipEout HD collection isn't a native VR game, but the VR support is really cool. Sitting in the cockpit and racing around the track is adrenaline filled, but the breakneck speed could definitely cause a few folks to get motion sickness. More of a short burst game than one you play for hours.

- Starchild was a demo that also caught me by surprise, as I didn't know what to expect when I booted it up from the demo disc. It's a 2.5D sides roller that made me think of Metroid (minus the combat so far). The art design was appealing and colorful, and the environment was atmospheric. You control the character on screen in third person, but can look around the environment in all directions. The demo was way too short, but it had me intrigued, so I may purchase the full game. One of the aspects I really liked about it was how being able to look around the environment made it feel so much more alive and grand in scale. A 2D Castlevania done in this way would be awesome. Lol.

The bad:
- Despite having a 4K capable HDTV and PS4 Pro, the resolution of the games and movies is pretty so/so. Not as sharp as watching them on my native 4K/1080p screen, but not so low that it was unenjoyable. I hope with the PlayStation 5, and a future VR update, they'll iron out the resolution and at least be able to give us a crisp 1080p or higher resolution.

- Not good for long play sessions. Definitely take breaks every 30 minutes to an hour, to avoid a headache/motion sickness. I popped an Excedrin Migraine before using the PSVR just in case, and that helped a lot. Some games/VR experiences can make you nauseous (looking at you, BattleZone).

- Not much use for the PS Move controllers outside of a few games. Most games support a dual shock controller, which is GREAT, but considering how much Move Controllers cost, it's a shame that not more games support it. The few that do are pretty awesome (like Beat Saber, and Raw Data), but there's still a lot of potential in the Move Controllers.

- The lenses get smudged very easily. Initially, there's a lot of adjusting of the headset when putting it on, so the lenses on the inside have a chance of getting smudged by your head/nose/face/fingers while getting it on. Ideally, you don't want to take it off and on too much once you're "inside," just to minimize the chances of you accidentally smudging the lenses.

- Small "play area." This is primarily due to where my TV is in relation to my bed, but the play area is generally pretty small for the VR games. This makes sense because you don't want to accidentally bump into things if the play area is too large, but what this meant for me is that I couldn't recline on my bed while playing VR games, and had to scoot forward to either the middle, or the edge of my bed to play them. It's not a big deal, but as some games don't require movement of your body, it'd have been nice to have a wider play area for the PS Camera to pick up and track the headset and Move Controllers.

All in all, PlayStation VR is very fun and enjoyable. I bought it primarily for the No Man's Sky VR patch releasing this summer, but theres a nice amount of content and functionality that made it worth the investment so far. It's funny that the most use I can see myself getting out of it is the virtual movie theater mode. I just love watching/playing games/movies on such a huge screen. XD I'm looking forward to trying out more games on it, as the potential for some really immersive experiences is high.