• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The bad:

- Not good for long play sessions. Definitely take breaks every 30 minutes to an hour, to avoid a headache/motion sickness. I popped an Excedrin Migraine before using the PSVR just in case, and that helped a lot. Some games/VR experiences can make you nauseous (looking at you, BattleZone).

Good write up. Just so you know though you shouldn't be getting headache after you play for half an hour every time. If you keep getting headaches it could be the you have a big head and that the PSVR is squeezing too tightly around your head. I have a friend who had this issue and he had to cut the rubber bands that go around the headset to loosen it up to stop him from getting headaches. I've seen a few others on reddit and era have this issue too but it doesn't seem to be that common. You might be one of those unlucky few that it effects tho :\ Here's a thread on it https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...s-due-to-tightness-not-motion-sickness.84125/

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
- The Raw Data demo caught me by surprise in that I thought it'd be kind of generic point and shoot mechanics, but it was very fun. Using the Move controllers as my dual pistols, and taking out wave after wave of robots trying to destroy a data core was tense and enjoyable. Aiming the pistols and dual firing, Lara Croft style, holsterong the guns at my hips to reload, made me think of how fun a Time Crisis game would be in VR.

Raw Data is underappreciated, I spent so much with the demo alone, hahah. There's a couple of things you can do that the game explains but the demo doesn't, like:
- You have two cooldown skills in the demo, a bullet time and a machinegun infinite ammo shot. They're used by holding the Move button and selecting them.
- Hold the triggers to charge up, then hold the guns together (they'll stick together magnetically), and release the triggers to fire a slow-moving energy ball that can then be shot to make it explode in an area.
- You can slap enemies with the guns themselves. This is easier if you set the movement to slide rather than teleport (which you should, since you can still teleport with this setting, but sliding movement can take a while to get used to).

- The lenses get smudged very easily. Initially, there's a lot of adjusting of the headset when putting it on, so the lenses on the inside have a chance of getting smudged by your head/nose/face/fingers while getting it on. Ideally, you don't want to take it off and on too much once you're "inside," just to minimize the chances of you accidentally smudging the lenses.

You can help this considerably by sliding the visor away (hold the large black button and physically slide it forward), putting it on, adjusting it laterally / up and down (you'll get the hang of doing so with the visor away, basically do the same you'd do otherwise, i.e. move it so that your field of view isn't blurry), then slide the visor back to hug your face.

It also takes a bit to get used to grabbing the headset without touching the lenses with your thumbs.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the feedback about Farpoint, I suspected it goes on sale from time to time. I'll buy it soon I think, I just bought some other non-VR stuff and my backlog isn't exactly shrinking.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Good write up. Just so you know though you shouldn't be getting headache after you play for half an hour every time. If you keep getting headaches it could be the you have a big head and that the PSVR is squeezing too tightly around your head. I have a friend who had this issue and he had to cut the rubber bands that go around the headset to loosen it up to stop him from getting headaches. I've seen a few others on reddit and era have this issue too but it doesn't seem to be that common. You might be one of those unlucky few that it effects tho :\ Here's a thread on it https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...s-due-to-tightness-not-motion-sickness.84125/

Thanks! I definitely don't have a big head, and I didn't get headache every thirty minutes, I just think it's good practice to take breaks from games every hour or so. The headset fits very comfortably. I was actually concerned it would fit loosely on my head, but the adjustment knob is great for keeping it snug and comfy.

I played with it all day once it arrived, with the only discomfort being eye strain coming towards the end of my play session. I probably clocked about 6-7 hours on it yesterday, taking breaks every 1-2 hours.

Raw Data is underappreciated, I spent so much with the demo alone, hahah. There's a couple of things you can do that the game explains but the demo doesn't, like:
- You have two cooldown skills in the demo, a bullet time and a machinegun infinite ammo shot. They're used by holding the Move button and selecting them.
- Hold the triggers to charge up, then hold the guns together (they'll stick together magnetically), and release the triggers to fire a slow-moving energy ball that can then be shot to make it explode in an area.
- You can slap enemies with the guns themselves. This is easier if you set the movement to slide rather than teleport (which you should, since you can still teleport with this setting, but sliding movement can take a while to get used to).

You can help this considerably by sliding the visor away (hold the large black button and physically slide it forward), putting it on, adjusting it laterally / up and down (you'll get the hang of doing so with the visor away, basically do the same you'd do otherwise, i.e. move it so that your field of view isn't blurry), then slide the visor back to hug your face.

It also takes a bit to get used to grabbing the headset without touching the lenses with your thumbs.

I had no idea about the extra stuff for Raw Data! Nice! I'll have to give it a try again now!

And yeah, I eventually got to a point where I'm able to put on/take off the headset without smudging it. It's very similar to what you described, actually!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got a few spare quid coming in a tax return (hopefully, since they generally come in tandem with another letter explaining how you owe HMRC more) and while most of it is earmarked for something for the kids I can't help thinking I'll finally pickup a PSVR, a fortuitous spotlight then, been browsing over the last few pages so thanks all for the recent comments its making me keener by the moment.

Definitely going all in on astrobot, otherwise Demo-disk for now. Mind you though the NMS update could be something special too, already logged a great deal of hours into the game.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017

KindaFunny Gamecast with Greg talking about playing a lot of the VR games shown in the State of Play. Hope its ok to put this in here.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
PSVR is 200€ on amazon.fr.

I might just buy it. I've tried some games on PCVR (occulus I think) and was blown away. Can I expect a similar experience with PSVR (and PS4 pro) ?

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
PSVR is 200€ on amazon.fr.

I might just buy it. I've tried some games on PCVR (occulus I think) and was blown away. Can I expect a similar experience with PSVR (and PS4 pro) ?

-Roomscalewise, no.
-Headsetwise, absolutely. Image quality is comparable and the headset is easier to put on and more comfortable to wear.
-Controller-wise: The moves and Aim are a lot less stable than the Oculus controllers. Only having one sensor (PS Camera) and only one tracking point on the controllers does lead to tracking errors.

But all in all it is a great experience for the price.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
You can't anymore, at least not in the same fassion. When you buy the VR version now, you get the VR version only. Which is fine, but the offer of a free flat version only persisted before that got released.

The thing is, I can't see many people enjoying both versions. If you are getting motion sick with the VR version, then yes, the flat version might be for you. But if you enjoyed the VR version, then the flat version will just look... flat to you. You feel like looking through a window into a place you once were and feel left out. Why would you do that to you?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I have an issue that some quick googling didn't solve, maybe someone can help.

I can't change to the PS4 HDMI without the PSVR being connected and powered up.

The HDMI shows 2 things, the PS4 and "a set top box". Both as sub options from the one HDMI.

Eventually waiting(the TV keeps trying) or enough clicking buttons gets it but it takes a good few minutes. Quicker to just set up the PSVR.

This a known issue?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Do you mean you leave the breakout box connected, but powerless? If so, then yes, that does not work. It needs power to pass-through. But you don't have to attach the headset to the box.

The breakout box is powered. The only thing I do is detach the headset and put it away. Everything else stays as is.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It should work exactly that way without delay. Sorry, no clue what happens there. :/

The TV seems to be picking up the breakout box and PSVR as two separate things. Then gets confused when it tries to change channel.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world. Thought someone might know a work around.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in some Falcon Age impressions as well. Like, it is a walking simulator with more interactive gameplay like Edith Finch?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in some Falcon Age impressions as well. Like, it is a walking simulator with more interactive gameplay like Edith Finch?

I'm not far in it but it's hardly a walking simulator. You have crafting, combat, and exploration. I was actually surprised when you get a map and compass.

Though I do have some complaints for VR.

1. Sounds seem off. Like the game is missing them. For example when you move without using teleport, you make no sound. Things are quieter at times then they should be.
2. Controls. So you use the left Center button to tell your Falcon to do things and the right center to move. It really feels like it should be reversed or given an option. Cause for me it just never feels right pressing the Right controllers move. Though I imagine for some this will be welcome. When selecting the dialogue choices (not sure if they actually change things), your supposed to rotate through selections but it's overly easy to scroll over the option you don't want.

I think the control issue seems worse is because the right controller is also where you use your baton to attack. For me in VR it's awkward when the controller used to move is also the one used to fight.

Other than that the Falcon itself is adorable and there seems to be more to the game than I anticipated.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 2 hours in on Falcon Age and it has surpassed my expectations thus far. I was expecting a "walking sim" type of game (which I don't mind as they're some of my favorite games of the generation). I've been battling, crafting and healing my falcon and really love how you and your falcon play off of each other. It does have an option though to turn off or minimize combat encounters can't recall which at the start-up screen if you'd prefer more of a walking sim type of game.

There are some things off of the beaten path, which I appreciate like some encounters or maybe some treasure. I think I'm about 1/3 of the way thru judging by the hidden trophies, so it's probably about a 5-6 hour game.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to post this too. Looks surreal and interesting though not sure on the gameplay or how the "adventure" plays out. Will keep an eye on it.

Edit: Found more info on the PS Blog:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...s-with-paper-beast-coming-to-ps-vr-this-year/

It's from the creator of Another World, which is interesting in itself. I played that on the Amiga long ago.

You can precisely interact with the environment as an immersive, playful universe. Creatures will adapt their behaviour to how you, as a player, interact with the world. Paper Beast is not a god game, but we did put some key ingredients in it.

We will tell you a story, but the narration is unspoken. Through the events of the world, their pacing, the story unfolds. Much like Another World, there is no text or dialogue. There is only the environment, and you will feel immediately connected to it. Our physics system enriches the experience through simple interaction and manipulation of the environment.

One of the VR lessons I learned during development is just how critical sound is for immersion. In movies they say that sound is 50% of a picture. Everything becomes so more tangible with authentic sounds. That is even more true in VR. Sound is 50% of space! At Pixel Reef, we have three people working full-time to deliver an outstanding binaural experience.

I'm interested in the audio aspect as this is something that many VR games fall flat with.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh. One of the loose HDMI cables ended up making a deep scratch on my right lens. I had it in my PowerA case too. Anyone have good success buffing it out without distorting the image?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
So, I bought Falcon Age.

I played about 2 hours and yeah, I'm liking more than i though i would. It's a really ambitious indie game. The bird gameplay is great and I feel atached to her, I like the art style and the craft mechanics.

The game feels a little unpolished, but it's not really a problem.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Was gonna make a thread until I saw this one so I guess it's best to post my question here

So with tax returns and everything I thought maybe I could finally splurge and snag PSVR along with RE7 because hearing how scary it is in VR absolutely excites me. The issue being outside of that game I don't really know how much else it offers, and dropping nearly $400 for a single game is definitely giving me hesitation. Are there other notable games that make the investment worth it? Should I continue to save for a better PC and eventually something like the Oculus instead? Or is just everything about VR right now not worth investing in yet

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Was gonna make a thread until I saw this one so I guess it's best to post my question here

So with tax returns and everything I thought maybe I could finally splurge and snag PSVR along with RE7 because hearing how scary it is in VR absolutely excites me. The issue being outside of that game I don't really know how much else it offers, and dropping nearly $400 for a single game is definitely giving me hesitation. Are there other notable games that make the investment worth it? Should I continue to save for a better PC and eventually something like the Oculus instead? Or is just everything about VR right now not worth investing in yet
Astro Bot:Rescue Missions
Moss
Wipeout Omega Collection
The Persistence
Any non-VR PS4 games with the Theater mode

... and we have Iron Man VR and Blood and Truth coming this year too.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, I bought Falcon Age.

I played about 2 hours and yeah, I'm liking more than i though i would. It's a really ambitious indie game. The bird gameplay is great and I feel atached to her, I like the art style and the craft mechanics.

The game feels a little unpolished, but it's not really a problem.

Yeah it lacks polish and has a few small technical/design issues but I'm loving it. Several hours in, going for the plat, taking my time. Really easy for me to recommend at 20 bucks. Enjoying more than eden, DW2, and wizards.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it lacks polish and has a few small technical/design issues but I'm loving it. Several hours in, going for the plat, taking my time. Really easy for me to recommend at 20 bucks. Enjoying more than eden, DW2, and wizards.

The mini game trophies might prevent me from the plat since they don't seem fun, but otherwise I'm also enjoying it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Astrobot is the one game making VR entirely worthwhile on its own. You know all you've heard about it? It's all true. :D

Aside from that, Wipeout and SuperHOT are two games that are made so much better through VR. I don't think anyone has every said they don't at least like them.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The mini game trophies might prevent me from the plat since they don't seem fun, but otherwise I'm also enjoying it.

I'll Share a secret with ya. You can duck down and push the ball with your club instead of using strokes with the whip in lightning golf ;) other minigames have been piece of cake, just haven't seen the fetch one yet. Hope that helps

Edit : Got the plat. Just use the trick above for the 1st golf course and the rest are nothing. Totally worth the plat in case ur into them.

Last edited:

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Astro Bot:Rescue Missions
Moss
Wipeout Omega Collection
The Persistence
How "immersive" would you say the experiences are?
If you haven't done VR before - everything in VR is immersive, in a way that makes using that word for regular 2D gaming a joke. Having the game world all around you, everywhere you turn, is a whole other level from watching a flat picture of that world in a frame. There's a commonplace that games that use two hand controllers (Moves in the case of PSVR) are more immersive, but that's nitpicking when compared to non-VR gaming.

I'd easily add SuperHot to that list of the top PSVR games, and there's a ton of games that are equally enjoyable but a little more limited, in scope, length, ambition, or resources - Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood, Batman VR, Rush VR, To The Top, Sprint Vector, Dino Frontier, and it sounds like the just-released Falcon Age may wind up there, too.

Personally, I'd have to also put Skyrim VR in the top group, although lots of people ding it for the graphical hit it takes to run on PSVR. I bought it kind of as a novelty, as I'd already put over a hundred hours into the flat version, but...I've now put 180 hours into the VR version, most of that content I never played before, and I can't imagine going back to playing it flat. Actually being in that world, with the snow swirling around you and the aurora-streaked night sky arcing overhead as a dragon soars above, searching for you, is just a whole different experience.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Need a little assistance on the technical options for Falcon Age.

It seems like controller acceleration and controller aim assist are two separate options but trying to Google them has the explanations I find for them lumping both together in some way. Could anyone specifically differentiate them for me?
Are they more for the Non VR users using a DS4? I've tried experimenting with them all the way up or down in VR and it doesn't seem to be changing much, if anything at all.

What does the "turn off run when stopped" option mean? I believe it may be simple but I'm just not understanding how it's worded.

And for the last question, what is controller motion headlock for? I just started and haven't gotten too far so is that specifically concerning something later on?

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend the yt channel PSVR without Parole for short, informative reviews of pretty much every PSVR release. VR isn't comprehensively covered by standard games media.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA

There's a stupid amount of good games, a lot nobody knows about but...

Astro Bot
Beat Saber
Borderlands 2
The Persistence
Farpoint
Firewall
Xing
In Death
Red Matter
Catch & Release
Moss
Skyrim
Rush of Blood

The list goes on... AND there's more on the way, including No Mans Sky!

Never been a better time

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Falcon Age and Ghost Giant sound like two new really good additions this/next week.
And then there's Everybody's Golf VR and Blood & Truth next month + Oculus Quest launch + Valve Index launch...
#drowningInVR