• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding off for now on third party titles that might come to quest in case I get that - my wife tried Beat Saber at the weekend and really enjoyed it, but didn't like the setup being complicated so thats almost an excuse to buy a quest

assuming no dealbreakers in the ports, it'd be the place to play them - a bit like switch ports if you want portability

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Played some more Falcon Age. Probably around 2/3 of the way thru and while I still like it I'm not as high on it as I was previously. I understand that the empty world is in line with the narrative of the story, but I'm not a fan of the back tracking. Still enjoying the narrative though and thinking I'll be done with it today or over the weekend.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a PSVR today. Got a local deal from a guy on FB and grabbed the headset (version 2), camera, and move controllers for $150. It had been used four times according to the seller. No games but I already own Ace Combat 7, Gran Turismo Sport, and Wipeout Omega Collection.

I didn't know what to expect when putting it on, because I've never used any kind of VR headset at all, not even a demo unit for any headset at a Best Buy or something. I was concerned about my glasses and motion sickness or headaches too. Someone on Reddit suggested a couple games to try first and said not to start off with Ace Combat, racing games, or games with a lot of movement in the beginning, and also to take breaks. I was planning on following that advice but I wanted to try Ace Combat 7 really bad. When the vr mission loaded up and I was in the hanger staring at the FA-18 I was in awe. All I could do was laugh and giggle while looking around. Then the actual mission?! Oh my god, what a different experience compared to playing it regularly. Being able to track bogeys by looking around the cockpit was so much better than using the right stick as a camera on the controller and just felt natural. I'm going to need to get the flight stick soon now.

After that I threw in Wipeout. The sense of speed was amazing, the colors so vibrant and appealing, and being able to look into a turn with my eyes instead of camera controls just felt right and felt good. After that I tried some of the short mini game so on the VR app that showed up on the dashboard. Then I checked out some VR videos on YouTube VR. They were pretty cool, despite being low-res and taking a long time to smooth out. Most were pretty blurry though, even after looking up some tips online and measuring the distance between my eyes and recalibrating my room and stuff.

I used the headset for about two hours though, without any nausea, physical pain from the headset, or headache. So I guess I can handle VR pretty well.

Overall I'm pretty blown away, and I've still got Gran Turismo Sport to try later. On my "To Buy" list is AstroBot, DriveClub VR (I still need to get the non-VR version too), Everybody's Golf VR (when it releases, though it's not a huge priority for me since I own the non-VR version already) and Déraciné (I guess, it's cheap right now and reviews seem decent). If Beat Saber gets a really good sale anytime soon or a physical edition gets announced (what I'm really hoping for) then I'll get that as well, but I'm holding off for now since it is digital-only. I need to get a stand too, and some game to use these Move controllers with.

The only issues I've had are that my couch is just a small amount too far away and I need to sit on the very edge to not get alerts saying I'm out of the play area. Ace Combat wouldn't work at all until I sat on my coffee table to get closer. And the other issue is with smudges on the lenses causing blurriness but I don't have anything good to clean it with, so I'm gonna go buy a glasses cleaning kit with microfiber cloth in it later.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Just got a PSVR today. Got a local deal from a guy on FB and grabbed the headset (version 2), camera, and move controllers for $150. It had been used four times according to the seller. No games but I already own Ace Combat 7, Gran Turismo Sport, and Wipeout Omega Collection.

I didn't know what to expect when putting it on, because I've never used any kind of VR headset at all, not even a demo unit for any headset at a Best Buy or something. I was concerned about my glasses and motion sickness or headaches too. Someone on Reddit suggested a couple games to try first and said not to start off with Ace Combat, racing games, or games with a lot of movement in the beginning, and also to take breaks. I was planning on following that advice but I wanted to try Ace Combat 7 really bad. When the vr mission loaded up and I was in the hanger staring at the FA-18 I was in awe. All I could do was laugh and giggle while looking around. Then the actual mission?! Oh my god, what a different experience compared to playing it regularly. Being able to track bogeys by looking around the cockpit was so much better than using the right stick as a camera on the controller and just felt natural. I'm going to need to get the flight stick soon now.

After that I threw in Wipeout. The sense of speed was amazing, the colors so vibrant and appealing, and being able to look into a turn with my eyes instead of camera controls just felt right and felt good. After that I tried some of the short mini game so on the VR app that showed up on the dashboard. Then I checked out some VR videos on YouTube VR. They were pretty cool, despite being low-res and taking a long time to smooth out. Most were pretty blurry though, even after looking up some tips online and measuring the distance between my eyes and recalibrating my room and stuff.

I used the headset for about two hours though, without any nausea, physical pain from the headset, or headache. So I guess I can handle VR pretty well.

Overall I'm pretty blown away, and I've still got Gran Turismo Sport to try later. On my "To Buy" list is AstroBot, DriveClub VR (I still need to get the non-VR version too), Everybody's Golf VR (when it releases, though it's not a huge priority for me since I own the non-VR version already) and Déraciné (I guess, it's cheap right now and reviews seem decent). If Beat Saber gets a really good sale anytime soon or a physical edition gets announced (what I'm really hoping for) then I'll get that as well, but I'm holding off for now since it is digital-only. I need to get a stand too, and some game to use these Move controllers with.

The only issues I've had are that my couch is just a small amount too far away and I need to sit on the very edge to not get alerts saying I'm out of the play area. Ace Combat wouldn't work at all until I sat on my coffee table to get closer. And the other issue is with smudges on the lenses causing blurriness but I don't have anything good to clean it with, so I'm gonna go buy a glasses cleaning kit with microfiber cloth in it later.
You might want to use a tripod or something to move the camera closer to you. Alternatively, some people like to use swivel chairs (desk chairs) and sit closer.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

Glad to see you're liking it.

You don't have to have the camera on top of the TV. You could buy a cheap mic stand from eBay or something like I did and stretch the camera a little bit more forward in front of the PS4 until you're able to sit on the couch.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
EYEL1NER welcome to PSVR. I suggest getting Super hot VR to use the move controllers. It's one of the greatest games and it's awesome to show it off to friends.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

V2 headset with moves for $150 is fucking insane, congratulations!

Tips for awesome free stuff:
- There's a million demos on the PS Store, some of them meaty enough to entertain you for hours. Make sure you get the PSVR Demo Discs 1 and 2, that alone is like 15 demos. In particular, I played and enjoyed the Raw Data demo more than many actual games. I believe Demo Disc 3 includes both an Astrobot and a SuperHOT demo, but I haven't downloaded it since I already owned both games when it released.
- There's also amazing non-demo free stuff, the king of which is probably Rec Room, which itself has several dozen modes from sports to medieval quests to sci-fi shooters to laser tag. Guaranteed you'll find some modes you'll love; I've spent dozens of hours on it without paying a dime.
- Also get The Playroom VR (free download for anyone with PSVR, fantastic minigames, including a sort of "level 0" of Astrobot) and the Last Guardian demo / experience.

For non-free stuff, Astrobot will of course blow your mind, and SuperHOT is a must for anyone that has Move controllers.

Oct 28, 2017
How's Star Trek Bridge Crew? Does it have a good single player? Big Star Trek fan so I'm curious but if it's pretty much a multiplayer game there's no point in getting it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How's Star Trek Bridge Crew? Does it have a good single player? Big Star Trek fan so I'm curious but if it's pretty much a multiplayer game there's no point in getting it.
I played it quite a lot in single player. You miss out on all the fun roleplaying you'd have with a group, but the game is good anyway.

Since I played it they patched in voice recognition so you can give orders to different stations. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a great addition. When I played I had to hop between stations a LOT.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I played it quite a lot in single player. You miss out on all the fun roleplaying you'd have with a group, but the game is good anyway.

Since I played it they patched in voice recognition so you can give orders to different stations. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a great addition. When I played I had to hop between stations a LOT.
The voice recognition feature to give orders to the AI crew is a game-changer and makes single player much more authentic and fun. As long as you are up on your Star Trek lingo ("all power to shields", "prepare for warp", "energize", etc.) you'll do well.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

Welcome good sir, Glad to hear your enjoying it and had no adverse effects with nausea or anything. Some good games there you tried, Especially Wipeout.

YouTube vids aren't designed fully for VR and are pretty tacked on experiences.

RE7
Farpoint
Skyrim

Would love to hear your feedback from those games further down the line if you get them, since there some of my top gaming experiences ever let alone just VR.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the advice and recommendations, everyone.

I don't know about moving the camera further forward onto some kind of stand since I have a two year old; he'd be all about grabbing it or knocking it over while I haventhe helmet on and am blind and oblivious to the world. And anyone else in the house would probably laugh and think it was funny rather than stop him from doing it. I can sit as far forward as I can, or sit on the coffee table (it's really sturdy) for now, but I might just start moving a dining room chair over in front of the couch to sit in while playing.

I'll get those Demo Discs and try what is on them. I saw them and wanted to grab them off the store but the first one was something like 35 gigs so I didn't want to sit around and wait for it. I guess I could have at least started the download though. Playroom VR is what I tried when I said I played some mini games; I tried the little Astro Bot level and really enjoyed it (though I got a bit frustrated that the controller kept getting 'turned' away from being level in my hands in representation to the screen; at one point to shoot a hookshot straight towards the middle of the screen I was twisting the controller almost at a 90 degree angle to get it to appear straight on the screen).

I guess I'll get SuperHot. I played it on Xbox One last year and enjoyed it a lot. I can imagine how good that is in VR but I figured I probably didn't need to experience the game again this soon. That many recommendations will change my mind though. Farpoint seems likely (I'll get the aim controller for that other FPS that has team-based multiplayer, the name of which escapes me at the moment). Not sure on RE7 since I don't like scary games, and when I do play them, I prefer the classic RE zombie formula. I was hyped prior to today about Skyrim but some bad reviews this morning put me off. Maybe I'll add it back to the list though.
Did you turn off all the comfort settings for Wipeout and set it to pilot head tracking? I'd be surprised if you could handle that on your first time in VR.
The first two tracks I tried I had no assists turned on at all. I saw them in the options menu before I went into the races but I wasn't sure what they would do so I had them off and figured I could turn them on if I had any issues. The third track I played informed me in the beginning that players could have problems with it and that some assists and tracking I think were turned on by default for it, and I think I left them on? Didn't notice much of a difference except I think I was sitting a bit too far back in the cockpit because I had a black 'frame' of sorts around the edge of the screen while racing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I guess I'll get SuperHot. I played it on Xbox One last year and enjoyed it a lot. I can imagine how good that is in VR but I figured I probably didn't need to experience the game again this soon. That many recommendations will change my mind though.

For what it's worth, SuperHOT VR missions are, as far as I can remember, completely different from regular SuperHOT's. This is among others to account for the fact you don't actually move in the VR version; some missions let you teleport between specific places, but you're mostly stationary.

Of course, in VR, "stationary" is relative; you'll soon be dodging and ducking under bullets, Matrix-style. :)

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, SuperHOT VR missions are, as far as I can remember, completely different from regular SuperHOT's. This is among others to account for the fact you don't actually move in the VR version; some missions let you teleport between specific places, but you're mostly stationary.

Of course, in VR, "stationary" is relative; you'll soon be dodging and ducking under bullets, Matrix-style. :)
I didn't know it was a wholly different game. I need something to use Move with though, so it's on my radar. Looks like I'll need to import a copy though since there appears to be no physical copy in the US.

What's the deal with Job Simulator though?! The guy who sold me the VR recommended it and I've heard good things. I just looked it up and the default seller on Amazon wants $200+ for it with the cheapest price at like $90, and eBay copies are $70-ish minimum. Damn, don't know if I'll ever get my hands on that one.

EDIT: Okay, just tried GT Sport and that one got to me a bit. I was leaning all over the place and definitely felt really unsteady.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the psVR and I'm having issues getting the camera to sit how I want (aka not on top of my tv)

I saw https://imgur.com/gallery/0u4gp
but I can't seem to find any cheep mic stands that look like that.

anyone have a similar set up and can link me to a mic stand for $20 or less that would work for that?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was a wholly different game. I need something to use Move with though, so it's on my radar. Looks like I'll need to import a copy though since there appears to be no physical copy in the US.

What's the deal with Job Simulator though?! The guy who sold me the VR recommended it and I've heard good things. I just looked it up and the default seller on Amazon wants $200+ for it with the cheapest price at like $90, and eBay copies are $70-ish minimum. Damn, don't know if I'll ever get my hands on that one.

EDIT: Okay, just tried GT Sport and that one got to me a bit. I was leaning all over the place and definitely felt really unsteady.

Super hot is a must if you even slightly enjoyed the original version. So much better and really a very different feeling game despite built on the same principles.

It's also very good at getting rid of any flaws in your camera placement as it has one of the largest play space requirements.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Are you strictly 100% physical only? I'm afraid you're going to miss on a lot of amazing experiences if so... :/

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Are you strictly 100% physical only? I'm afraid you're going to miss on a lot of amazing experiences if so... :/
I'll go digital, usually on sale or deep-discount, when there is no physical alternative. Beat Saber is the only one so far that will be on my list of things I have to buy digitally for PSVR; everything else I want has a physical copy, if not in NA than overseas. I'll pay more to import something than get it digitally though; I did it when I wanted Gundam Breaker 3 after getting my PS4 at the end of last year.

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
So I just got the psVR and I'm having issues getting the camera to sit how I want (aka not on top of my tv)

I saw https://imgur.com/gallery/0u4gp
but I can't seem to find any cheep mic stands that look like that.

anyone have a similar set up and can link me to a mic stand for $20 or less that would work for that?
You can use a frame hook and put an elastic (or something else) around the base of the camera and hook it up to the wall. You can even have several hooks for various height.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Well...my Falcon Age game somehow became bugged. Not really far into it but the first time the game tells you to sleep in the tent, the prompt isn't coming up for me. Looked at a YouTube stream of the same part and it came up just fine for the streamer. Quite a bummer....

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Umm, so I tried buying Driveclub VR but it won't let me, because I already own the season pass. Does that mean that I can just redownload the base game and I get the VR version for free??

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Umm, so I tried buying Driveclub VR but it won't let me, because I already own the season pass. Does that mean that I can just redownload the base game and I get the VR version for free??
It's not linked to the flat version and there is no season pass for VR version it a fully separate game. Did you search Driveclub VR or clicked on one of the flat versions instead? Or did you buy the VR version and forgot?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
There's two versions on the PSN store. 'DC VR' and 'DC VR season pass upgrade', the same content, but at a 50% discount for those who own the season pass.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
There's two versions on the PSN store. 'DC VR' and 'DC VR season pass upgrade', the same content, but at a 50% discount for those who own the season pass.
It's not linked to the flat version and there is no season pass for VR version it a fully separate game. Did you search Driveclub VR or clicked on one of the flat versions instead? Or did you buy the VR version and forgot?

I'm looking at the eu easter sale and it just says "driveclub vr", a blueish boxart, I don't think it says anything about being an upgrade. I'll have to double check tomorrow I guess. If I had already bought it, the pay button should turn into a download button and it just says unavailable instead.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at the eu easter sale and it just says "driveclub vr", a blueish boxart, I don't think it says anything about being an upgrade. I'll have to double check tomorrow I guess. If I had already bought it, the pay button should turn into a download button and it just says unavailable instead.
You're locked out of the regular version because you have the season pass. The 'add-on version' is not part of the easter sale, hence it not showing up under there. This is the version you should be able to buy.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs Trailer

Released a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't seen this trailer before.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty good, I pay around 105 or more for a lunch lol. Would you say it's worth it? I love regular Driveclub. But the VR aspect isn't that amazing right?
As you love regular Driveclub, I'd say definitely worth it. While graphically they had to sacrifice a lot, cockpit view feels amazing. But apparently lots of people have experienced motion sickness with this title, so you might want to checkout the demo first (it's part of the PSVR Demo Disc 1 in Europe). For me it wasn't an issue though, had regular play sessions of multiple hours without discomfort.

Oct 28, 2017
Guys. Guys. Star Trek Bridge Crew. This is the coolest. I've only done the tutorial and opening mission but this actually seems amazing! We'll see how I feel as I play more but right now it seems pretty cool.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Guys. Guys. Star Trek Bridge Crew. This is the coolest. I've only done the tutorial and opening mission but this actually seems amazing! We'll see how I feel as I play more but right now it seems pretty cool.

I would probably get it if I had friends who owned headsets to play with, but it's the kind of communication heavy game that I don't find myself comfortable playing with people I don't know. It's a pretty cool indication of the kind of awesome online gaming that will be possible as VR grows, though.

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Looking forward for Jupiter and Mars next week, sadly the pre-order seems to not be active in all EU stores. Hoping it even releases in the Dutch store...

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Neat isn't it? I really should buy the Next Generation DLC at some point. The original Enterprise bridge is in game but while it's cool it's almost unplayably complicated. The Enterprise D bridge is super user-friendly and it's the one I grew up watching.

I would probably get it if I had friends who owned headsets to play with, but it's the kind of communication heavy game that I don't find myself comfortable playing with people I don't know. It's a pretty cool indication of the kind of awesome online gaming that will be possible as VR grows, though.
Yeah I don't like playing with strangers either. It's enjoyable in single player but I've watched videos of groups playing and it looks like an absolute scream.

Oct 28, 2017
Neat isn't it? I really should buy the Next Generation DLC at some point. The original Enterprise bridge is in game but while it's cool it's almost unplayably complicated. The Enterprise D bridge is super user-friendly and it's the one I grew up watching.

Yeah I don't like playing with strangers either. It's enjoyable in single player but I've watched videos of groups playing and it looks like an absolute scream.
There's Next Generation DLC? Oh sweet. Is it supposed to be good? Can I say "make it so" as a voice command in Next Generation DLC? I also feel "shut up Wesley" would be DLC worth paying for.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
There's Next Generation DLC? Oh sweet. Is it supposed to be good? Can I say "make it so" as a voice command in Next Generation DLC? I also feel "shut up Wesley" would be DLC worth paying for.
If you like the main game then it's just more missions like that, but with lovely cream and brown decor.

"Make it so" and "engage" work already, and there's "punch it" for millennials.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to do a bit of a 'get back into VR' binge soon. Anything absolutely essential I've missed this year/last five months or so? I've already got Tetris, Astro Bot and Moss to get through. Any absolute gems I've missed?

Oct 28, 2017
Guys I've got a headache but I really want to go back in to Star Trek. It's not good to play VR when I've got a headache but good god this game is cook.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to do a bit of a 'get back into VR' binge soon. Anything absolutely essential I've missed this year/last five months or so? I've already got Tetris, Astro Bot and Moss to get through. Any absolute gems I've missed?
I thought The Persistence was a legit first person horror roguelike and Déraciné was a great narrative adventure. Both released during the second half of 2018 and made it to my top 10 of the year when I voted here. Both are fairly traditional gameplay experiences which put you inside immersive 3D worlds but they aren't super heavy on interacting with these worlds via motion controls even if the latter requires Moves.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Rush VR's limited, but if you've ever wanted to strap on a wingsuit and fly headfirst into a cliff, it has you covered. It's fun, especially if you're playing it multiplayer with friends, but it makes you want a more ambitious version 2 that leans into the SSX Tricky mode.

Last edited: