• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Man I really wish we'd get a big budget Star Trek Bridge Crew type game with a proper story. Really flesh this out because there's so much potential and fun here.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I played some DCVR and it's alright. No motion sickness symptoms yet.

I've mainly been having the time of my life with Firewall though, what an amazing game! It completely justifies the aim controller on its own. I tried doom with it but i have no desire to go back and get the last trophies for that, even with this controller. I might get the plat for Bravo Team though, could use some assistance with the stealth kills and revives on that one (same psn id as here). Firewall is brilliant though, it's a bit blurry but it seems almost like a style choice than anything else. The wait times between matches could be cut down on though, especially since each match is over so fast.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard amazing review for the new table top RPG ? but nothing about solo campain length ? any info on that ?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, yes, but even better news is if I can choose to buy the new VR tech on day one of the PS5 launch (my guess - Fall 2020).

Doubtful, but PSVR will benefit tremendously from the more powerful hardware, and I assume there will be PS5 exclusive PSVR titles available from day one. It will likely be like a new VR generation compared to the PS4 output.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful, but PSVR will benefit tremendously from the more powerful hardware, and I assume there will be PS5 exclusive PSVR titles available from day one. It will likely be like a new VR generation compared to the PS4 output.

Just cut loading will make the experience 100 times better in my opinion.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
With news that psvr headset will work on ps5, It'd be a good idea for Sony to release new motion controller for ps5 close to ps5 release. Then in 2 year or so, release a new psvr2 headset with higher resolution, eyetracking and next gen vr tech.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
With news that psvr headset will work on ps5, It'd be a good idea for Sony to release new motion controller for ps5 close to ps5 release. Then in 2 year or so, release a new psvr2 headset with higher resolution, eyetracking and next gen vr tech.

If I was a betting man, I would bet on something close to this. Launch with PSVR gen 1 headset support, get to play some of the 1st gen games with better controllers and graphics, then later on get a wireless headset model.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR just can't stop being already dead, lol.

That BC announcement is a Megaton, I bought PSVR on launch expecting it to become severely outdated on PS5 launch and to not work at all with it. But here we are, so happy about this

Now if they manage to release PSVR2 with foveated rendering then Sony did everything right.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Something like this would be nice at launch:
ps5-controller-playstation-5-concept-designs-by-julien-kervarrec-jpg.3293

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I hate playing with move controllers. I'm hopeful we'll get a better tracking system and controllers next gen. Really liking Ghost Giant, but the move controller only part has been a nuisance in one of the early scenes.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the most physically intense game?

Just been playing Beat Saber for over an hour on expert+ and heart rate rarely got out of the 60's.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20e7807a7848c9123c7b237a4c1d502fd441e59e17f2f043aef9a1911a3a3cfd.jpg

Actually, scratch that; pretty sure.

Beat Saber from a fitness POV is pretty simple. Add in lots of squats and it has the potential to be a decent workout but doesn't have that. If you do some basic running regularly Beat Saber should be simple from a fitness perspective. If you do HIIT it's not even a warm up.

E+ the hard part is getting up to speed and a lot of that is pattern memorisation at slow speeds then ramping it up and practicing so you can flow smoothly with minimal effort.

Oct 28, 2017
Does Star Trek Bridge Crew have an active enough online community? Is it easy enough to find games to play with randoms? I don't have PS Plus but I really want to try out the multiplayer so I'm tempted to bite the bullet on it but I won't bother if the online is dead.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

That BC announcement is a Megaton, I bought PSVR on launch expecting it to become severely outdated on PS5 launch and to not work at all with it. But here we are, so happy about this

Now if they manage to release PSVR2 with foveated rendering then Sony did everything right.
rumors from the playstation 5 thread

-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
-dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad

but we will have to see.

I bought playstation VR as a temp thing to exersize with beat saber until I got a better PC but if this is all true I might just stick with the playstation stuff since my games on the ps4 will work on the next version anyways.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beat Saber from a fitness POV is pretty simple. Add in lots of squats and it has the potential to be a decent workout but doesn't have that. If you do some basic running regularly Beat Saber should be simple from a fitness perspective. If you do HIIT it's not even a warm up.

E+ the hard part is getting up to speed and a lot of that is pattern memorisation at slow speeds then ramping it up and practicing so you can flow smoothly with minimal effort.

I don't actually own it, I'm waiting for a sale, but everyone was saying how their arms were sore after playing it, hahah.

For squats, I would recommend downloading Rec Room and playing The Rise of Jumbotron. It's a cover shooter with chest high walls so you have to do a lot of squatting and standing, and if you play alone, one shot is game over, so you really can't afford to be out in the open. You can't even abuse blind firing as being shot in your hand or gun makes you drop the gun. I ended up with sore upper legs. :D Like the rest of Rec Room, is entirely free.

-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
-dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad

but we will have to see.

I bought playstation VR as a temp thing to exersize with beat saber until I got a better PC but if this is all true I might just stick with the playstation stuff since my games on the ps4 will work on the next version anyways.

$250 with eye tracking in 2020 sounds absolutely crazy to me, but we'll see. Everything about the PS5 kind of sounds too good to be true, doubly so for VR players. :D

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
$250 with eye tracking in 2020 sounds absolutely crazy to me, but we'll see. Everything about the PS5 kind of sounds too good to be true, doubly so for VR players. :D
yeah... if this stuff is true sony is going to be a serious player in VR next gen.
it will make it hard to justify getting VR on PC for me outside of beat saber mods.
but if the beat saber developers put out steady DLC mod support won't be that big of deal.
as much as I want to play some songs that will never be dlc. having a library of well mapped songs is fine.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
What the most physically intense game?

Just been playing Beat Saber for over an hour on expert+ and heart rate rarely got out of the 60's.
If you're actually serious about a cardio workout...do an actual cardio workout. That said, I haven't played Beat Saber (I've never gotten into rhythm games), but Sprint Vector definitely makes me work up a serious sweat, and my arms can be sore for days afterwards. I'm in decent shape for a Midwestern American - summers I bike about 50 miles per week, winters I work out with a rowing machine for 2–3 hours per week.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually own it, I'm waiting for a sale, but everyone was saying how their arms were sore after playing it, hahah.

For squats, I would recommend downloading Rec Room and playing The Rise of Jumbotron. It's a cover shooter with chest high walls so you have to do a lot of squatting and standing, and if you play alone, one shot is game over, so you really can't afford to be out in the open. You can't even abuse blind firing as being shot in your hand or gun makes you drop the gun. I ended up with sore upper legs. :D Like the rest of Rec Room, is entirely free.

If you have been out of exercise for a while or out of shape then it would be a great starting point. Nicely paced, improves proprioception, hard to over do it, makes you feel good and far more entertaining than a gym. However it's a rhythm game that also does a bit of fitness rather than a straight fitness app so obviously only going to take you so far. I've always used it as a nice cool down after a real workout. I really want a VR equivalent of something like the Nike NTC app but a bit more abstract in its implementation of exercise.

I keep meaning to have a deep dive into rec room. I've had a peek around the periphery with it but never indulged in all it has to offer and has grown so much since last time I had a go.

If you're actually serious about a cardio workout...do an actual cardio workout. That said, I haven't played Beat Saber (I've never gotten into rhythm games), but Sprint Vector definitely makes me work up a serious sweat, and my arms can be sore for days afterwards. I'm in decent shape for a Midwestern American - summers I bike about 50 miles per week, winters I work out with a rowing machine for 2–3 hours per week.

I do. I like exercise a lot be it sports, high intensity, endurance, strength training, balance, flexibility or proprioception I'm game so VR being a physical activity is a big plus in my books, i just need that bit more to really get the full enjoyment out of the physical aspect which I crave.

I enjoyed Sprint Vector a lot, in terms of its physicality I found the races are over before you start to get your heart rate up and max speed is quite easy to get to so simple to maintain for an entire race unless you hit a wall. That's a problem with most physical VR games I have played the levels/rounds are very short and stop and start between menus stops exercise too often and for too long.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
yeah... if this stuff is true sony is going to be a serious player in VR next gen.

If this is true, I don't know how anyone else is going to be able to compete at all. PSVR is already on top of every other headset, with basic, entry-level VR and hardware that strains to keep up. FOVeated rendering with a PS5 behind it? Console + headset for what a PC headset alone costs? Full library of PSVR games already ready to go? I would not want to be a PCVR headset manufacturer right now...

Granted, the "if it's true" is a pretty big "if"...

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny pretty much confirm PSVR is compatible with the PS5.
Also PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

This is great news. Lots of people that were on the fence will hop in.
I just hope this doesn't mean VR games on the PS5 are hamstrung because they have to work on the old hardware as well. The headset is fine but if games are still being designed around the limitations of the old move controllers ...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just hope this doesn't mean VR games on the PS5 are hamstrung because they have to work on the old hardware as well. The headset is fine but if games are still being designed around the limitations of the old move controllers ...

I'm assuming at most PS4VR games will be forward compatible with PS5VR (more on this below). For the reasons you mention, I'd say it's pretty much assured PS5VR games won't be compatible with PS4VR, probably not even the headset.

As for the PS4VR games on PS5VR, I'm wondering if some will be patched to be compatible with the analog controller the latter will obviously include, at least. It would certainly make many of these games so much better! And at the very least, they will all benefit from much better tracking.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, I don't know how anyone else is going to be able to compete at all. PSVR is already on top of every other headset, with basic, entry-level VR and hardware that strains to keep up. FOVeated rendering with a PS5 behind it? Console + headset for what a PC headset alone costs? Full library of PSVR games already ready to go? I would not want to be a PCVR headset manufacturer right now...

Granted, the "if it's true" is a pretty big "if"...
It's still likely not going to be as accurate as set ups that have multiple light houses. and it wont' have mod support for stuff like beat saber. and in general you aren't going to get everyone to move from PC.

I mean even at the base costs you are looking at $750 for the sony stuff, not even including new controllers which likely will make it $850.

in comparison the occulous quest will be launching at $399 and will have the major VR players with the ability to take it anywhere.
it will likely be down to $300 or even $250 by the time the next PSVR launches.

If true sony's offering for VR will be great, but it won't be the only choice for people who want the best or want something easy to deal with.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

but we will have to see.

That resolution with that field of view would be terrible. There's no way that's true

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm happy assuming those rumors are all just wishful thinking until they're actually based on evidence or official word from Sony (and even then, what's announced may be more than what finally ships). What we do know is Mark Cerny explicitly said that "VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console," and that there's more PSVR information to come. Which is tremendously reassuring that Sony isn't going to treat this as a single-generation blip.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That resolution with that field of view would be terrible. There's no way that's true

Doesn't necessarily mean that whole space would be filled with a standard pixel layout. Afterall we can only see binocular for 120 degrees and our focus point is only 60 degrees so as long as the screen is built around that whilst factoring in different eye distances there can be some very smart solutions in reducing overall pixel count that we haven't seen yet implemented in a retail headset.

Those numbers are well above what StarVR were showing with their prototypes of the 210 degree FOV headset with the quality stated as being comparative to the Vive Pro. It's likely bullshit because rumours but the numbers aren't bad going by things other companies have been working on.

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Personally I never expected otherwise. Sony needed to make the upgrade path from PS4/PSVR to PS5/PSVR2 as seamless as possible. That meant making the current headset forward compatible, and the PS5 will no doubt boost current VR games in the same way PS4 Pro does but to an even higher degree. I'm less concerned about the limitations of the current headset by then, as I am the move controllers. Hopefully at the very least, some new VR controllers will be available day one and compatible with the current headset. I don't mind my wallet getting some much appreciated breathing room between the PS5 and PSVR2 releases., assuming they're spread apart by a year or two. Hell, I'm about to invest in a new gaming PC soon and if the start of next gen is anything like this one, a lot of cross-gen releases at the start, I may hold off for a few years.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's still likely not going to be as accurate as set ups that have multiple light houses.

and it wont' have mod support for stuff like beat saber. and in general you aren't going to get everyone to move from PC.

it's not so much about making people "move from PC" as it is making the untapped market "move towards them". That's how market expansion works for the most part anyway.

I mean even at the base costs you are looking at $750 for the sony stuff, not even including new controllers which likely will make it $850.

Sure, and a VR-ready PC + VR is easily twice that. I mean, either we compare headsets to headsets or full setups to full setups.

in comparison the occulous quest will be launching at $399 and will have the major VR players with the ability to take it anywhere.
it will likely be down to $300 or even $250 by the time the next PSVR launches.

Let's see how the Occulus Quests does on its own before comparing it to PSVR, shall we? Also hopefully you're not serious about a system launching at $400 being $250 by next year. The only way I can see that happening is if it bombs spectacularly.

If true sony's offering for VR will be great, but it won't be the only choice for people who want the best or want something easy to deal with.

At this rate it will definitely be the best choice even for people who want the best (especially factoring in exclusives) and will be super easy to deal with (wireless). If all of this is true, I really, honestly see hard times ahead for makers of other systems. PCVR systems already have something going against it: there's multiple manufacturers competing for the same market, and that's even befoe Valve jumping in! I'm sorry but I don't expect all three of them to survive in the long run.

Personally I never expected otherwise. Sony needed to make the upgrade path from PS4/PSVR to PS5/PSVR2 as seamless as possible.

What Sony "needs" to do and what they end up doing have, historically, often been very different things.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well in the present, cutting off their current VR offering from PS5 potentially stunts the growth of a platform they're clearly doubling down on. I imagine they saw forward compatibility as a 'need' towards that end.

I thought the exact same re: PS3 -> PS4 compatibility, yet here we are. People always find a way to rationalize backwards compatibility as unnecesary when it's their favorite company; I have no doubt they would have defended a full PS4 -> PS5 non-compatibility, VR included.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it's not so much about making people "move from PC" as it is making the untapped market "move towards them". That's how market expansion works for the most part anyway.

Sure, and a VR-ready PC + VR is easily twice that. I mean, either we compare headsets to headsets or full setups to full setups.

Let's see how the Occulus Quests does on its own before comparing it to PSVR, shall we? Also hopefully you're not serious about a system launching at $400 being $250 by next year. The only way I can see that happening is if it bombs spectacularly.

At this rate it will definitely be the best choice even for people who want the best (especially factoring in exclusives) and will be super easy to deal with (wireless). If all of this is true, I really, honestly see hard times ahead for makers of other systems. PCVR systems already have something going against it: there's multiple manufacturers competing for the same market, and that's even befoe Valve jumping in! I'm sorry but I don't expect all three of them to survive in the long run.

What Sony "needs" to do and what they end up doing have, historically, often been very different things.
pc+vr is going to be quite a bit more yes, but it will also be better than PSVR even if these are true.
and yes I am being serious. Almost all the other VR headsets have had a sale for at least $100 off within a year, even the ones that launched at $400, often you can get stacking coupons. but it's very likely the quest will have a sale dropping it to $300 by the end of the year (aka if I wasn't clear I am saying by the time PSVR 2.0 comes out the quest will have gone on sale at $250 or $300 not that the MSRP will be down that low, but the sales typically happen every other month or so)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I thought the exact same re: PS3 -> PS4 compatibility, yet here we are. People always find a way to rationalize backwards compatibility as unnecesary when it's their favorite company; I have no doubt they would have defended a full PS4 -> PS5 non-compatibility, VR included.

You could be right on that. I think with the PS3/PS4, at least there were technical hurdles due to the cell, though that obviously isn't the case for PS1/PS2 compatibility. I have a bunch of Ps1 roms sitting on my Vita I'd love to have accessible on PS4. I also wasn't a fan of Sony repackaging their PS2 classics for Ps4 and not allowing the Ps3 versions to carry over in some form.

I don't believe, other than ancient move controllers, there's any other technical hurdles between PSVR and the coming PS5, so Sony in this case would have had to make a deliberate choice to make them incompatible. And, it's really a bad look on their part that MS is kicking all kinds of ass with their own back catalog. It's about locking you into the ecosystem and frankly, I feel more comfortable right now buying digital titles on XBOX with their current strategy.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
The PS5 news is great for PSVR. Looking forwards to PS4VR games getting a PS5 patch to give them a graphical boost. When PSVR2 comes eventually comes out that is when we will start seeing PSVR2/PS5 exclusive games taking full advantage of the technology but until then this will massively help expand the life of PSVR.

Only thing I'm bothered about is the Move controllers, not sure Sony can wait until PSVR2 to release a replacement to the Moves. I was hoping they would announce a Move2 controller this year with analogue sticks as I think it's really holding PSVR back a bit. Shipments of Moves seems to be drying up so was hoping that was a hint to something coming.

What tracking tech could they realistically use for Move2 if they release now on PS4 instead of waiting for PSVR2?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 news is great for PSVR. Looking forwards to PS4VR games getting a PS5 patch to give them a graphical boost. When PSVR2 comes eventually comes out that is when we will start seeing PSVR2/PS5 exclusive games taking full advantage of the technology but until then this will massively help expand the life of PSVR.

Only thing I'm bothered about is the Move controllers, not sure Sony can wait until PSVR2 to release a replacement to the Moves. I was hoping they would announce a Move2 controller this year with analogue sticks as I think it's really holding PSVR back a bit. Shipments of Moves seems to be drying up so was hoping that was a hint to something coming.

What tracking tech could they realistically use for Move2 if they release now on PS4 instead of waiting for PSVR2?
They'd just need to incorporate the move light tech. Those mockups I posted up the page would work (light rings).

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
They'd just need to incorporate the move light tech. Those mockups I posted up the page would work (light rings).

Hope they do that then and get some Move2's released this year.

What are the chances of getting a VR option in Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5/PSVR2? Maybe need dial down some graphical settings from PS4 version but I think they could pull it off, I hope it comes to fruition would be amazing to play through in VR I bet.

Borderlands 3 I guess will defs be coming to VR at some point I think, BL2 VR seems to have been pretty successful for them and they are continuing to support it.

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see "PlayStation Move Required" on a PS Store page it makes me grumble so hard. Ugh. Fuck sake these things are like a £100 or more and the reviews on Amazon are awful. This is PS3 tech why are these things so expensive?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sony need to switch out the Move controllers as soon as possible.

The only logical way to go about this for Sony is to include motion tracking (probably cameras) in a splitable DS5 controller. It would give every PS5 owner everything needed to use VR out of the box if they have a VR headset. As for headset tracking they just need a port for the camera on PS5 for it to work, which shouldn't be that big of a problem. A PSVR2 could then ignore the camera and have it's own camera based tracking solution.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
The only logical way to go about this for Sony is to include motion tracking (probably cameras) in a splitable DS5 controller. It would give every PS5 owner everything needed to use VR out of the box if they have a VR headset. As for headset tracking they just need a port for the camera on PS5 for it to work, which shouldn't be that big of a problem. A PSVR2 could then ignore the camera and have it's own camera based tracking solution.

That's a great idea to be fair, there are rumours already about the DS5 having some sort of camera built in so maybe this is what it is for.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
So I just got a PSVR and I was wondering if it's possible to play the Playroom with move controllers ? To have like hands in the game instead of a dualshock.
I don't own them so I'll have to buy, looks quite expensive :/

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see "PlayStation Move Required" on a PS Store page it makes me grumble so hard. Ugh. Fuck sake these things are like a £100 or more and the reviews on Amazon are awful. This is PS3 tech why are these things so expensive?

I was like that... until i've found used one for 40$ for both ps3 model. The new price is insane high for no reason IMO...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was like that... until i've found used one for 40$ for both ps3 model. The new price is insane high for no reason IMO...

The Moves are the new Vita memory cards, greedy Sony pushing up price for a quick buck without caring how it damages the platform. That PSVR is flourishing in spite of this is impressive, but this is one of those decisions I alluded to above that make no sense to me.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
The only logical way to go about this for Sony is to include motion tracking (probably cameras) in a splitable DS5 controller...
That seems like a recipe for a disastrous number of DS5s breaking within the first year under normal use. Unless the DS5 was made of heavy-gauge metal, the connection points on a DS5 that can be split in two are going to give out pretty quickly even for players who don't periodically throw their controller across the room in frustration.