• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I finally picked up AC7 and played through the first VR mission, and holy crap that was cool. It's a crime that they didn't include the initially promised full VR campaign. I'm doubtful I'll even try the standard game. It would feel like such a downgrade compared to actually sitting in the cockpit.

I still dream that they will release one day the full game for VR.... Look like i'll continue to dream forever...

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly disappointed in BoxVR. The good is that you can set it to go for an hour or more so can get a good rhythm going, the bad for me but will vary significantly for others is that my heart rate didn't even get into the ideal zone at all which is kinda pointless for me as I'm not doing it to help cut calories.

Not tried doing a custom track and putting it on hard and only done a half hour straight set but considering I've been doing workouts on rings all week and it being upper body focused I thought I'd be at least slightly fatigued, especially as I was throwing from the feet to as many cues as possible. Will try a light resistance bands into the mix next time.

Shame about no custom soundtrack on this version like the PC as none of the music is to my taste but I ended up just putting music on my phone instead as there is no nice flow like on beatsaber so doesn't really matter too much it's just an extra faff.

One thing I did like is some of the duck and weave patterns, they were fun but everything else is too predictable and not enough movement overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Superhot VR known to be a bit buggy and imprecise with its tracking? The game itself seems cool but a lot of the times my in-game hands will spaz out and mess me up quite a bit. The play area also seems kind of small? I get the 'moving out of play area' more than I'd like. It's been putting a damper on my experience as a whole. I have zero problems with Beat Saber.
Problem I had with Superhot is that the camera needs to be able to see your hands reach to the ground, and up over your head, but you're limited in how far away from the camera you can be. So with the camera facing front on, there's a limit on how tall you can be.

Best recommendation(for pretty much all psvr) is to have the camera up high, angled down for better/full coverage.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Problem I had with Superhot is that the camera needs to be able to see your hands reach to the ground, and up over your head, but you're limited in how far away from the camera you can be. So with the camera facing front on, there's a limit on how tall you can be.

Best recommendation(for pretty much all psvr) is to have the camera up high, angled down for better/full coverage.
I still want to set up something like https://imgur.com/gallery/0u4gp

but I can't find a similar mic stand for $20-$30 to do it :(

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly disappointed in BoxVR. The good is that you can set it to go for an hour or more so can get a good rhythm going, the bad for me but will vary significantly for others is that my heart rate didn't even get into the ideal zone at all which is kinda pointless for me as I'm not doing it to help cut calories.

Not tried doing a custom track and putting it on hard and only done a half hour straight set but considering I've been doing workouts on rings all week and it being upper body focused I thought I'd be at least slightly fatigued, especially as I was throwing from the feet to as many cues as possible. Will try a light resistance bands into the mix next time.

Shame about no custom soundtrack on this version like the PC as none of the music is to my taste but I ended up just putting music on my phone instead as there is no nice flow like on beatsaber so doesn't really matter too much it's just an extra faff.

One thing I did like is some of the duck and weave patterns, they were fun but everything else is too predictable and not enough movement overall.

I'm enjoying BoxVR more now. I have no idea if the trainers are actually real people that are doing the routines but I've found I find ones I dislike/enjoy are always associated with certain trainers everything I tried initially are ones that I dislike.

I wish there was a way to highlight routines that followed basic boxing fundamentals so I'm not doing one jab then four crosses that are tightly spaced so effectively no different than a jab despite my requested footwork positioning. I never enjoy them. I don't mind the ones where everything is tightly packed as they are fun for endurance.

Also cues that were more varied in height and angle would be good to stop it feeling so static.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I think PS Universe just jumped embargo on Survios's new game. I can't see the story anymore but here's what I saw:

PlayStation Universe
Leading VR development company Survios (Raw Data, CREED: Rise to Glory) today announced the arrival of their newest IP. Battlewake, a pirate ...

Seems like a pirate combat game? Could be cool...

Update: They just announced it: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/battlewake-pirate-vr-survios-1203207537/

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily i had the perfect setup available above my TV for holding the camera to play Superhot and others that require a higher angle :D Can recommend,
predator_camholder.jpg

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
It's not up yet in Australia, and I assume EU regions.

EDIT: It has appeared. It is in the Demos section but not showing up through search or with some other demos in the Free section.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do Japanese game developers (besides From Software) not understand how to create decent female characters?

Those subservient characters in Everybody Golf VR are super creepy. Quite enjoyed the gameplay but sure as shit not buying it because of that kind of depection of women.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Do Japanese game developers (besides From Software) not understand how to create decent female characters?

Those subservient characters in Everybody Golf VR are super creepy. Quite enjoyed the gameplay but sure as shit not buying it because of that kind of depection of women.
I've never played an Everybody's Golf game, but that kind of thing definitely has been my impression of what I've seen of previous ones. I'm with you; that kind of thing is such a turnoff that I can't imagine being able to play the game. If I'd be embarrassed to play a game in front of anybody, that's a pretty good sign it's not worth playing the game.

Oct 25, 2017

Downloading now. Looking forward to trying it.

Are these subservient characters working for the golf club? In Japan, they take service very seriously. Most big stores employ people just to politely greet you on entering.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downloading now. Looking forward to trying it.

Are these subservient characters working for the golf club? In Japan, they take service very seriously. Most big stores employ people just to politely greet you on entering.

I've been to japan and they are not like real service industry employees but that wierd perverse anime style instead that service some sort of patriarchal fantasy.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The way Everybody's Golf VR's demo interrupts you actually playing on a course was the worst possible way. It lets you play up until the moment you decide to actually take a swing on a course, then it stops you!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably just due to my placement of the camera, but I had some pretty serious tracking issues with Everybody's Golf VR. It was a weird tracking problem I'd never seen before where the swing of the golf club was still accurately detected, but the club itself was fixed at some point, as if it were stuck to my waist or chest, no matter how much I moved it around my body.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Everybody's Golf putting practice convinced me of two things:

1) I am going to buy and probably love this game

2) I seriously need to buy some Move controllers

This game actually only needs 1 move controller, but a set is definitely the way to go for games like Super Hot, Rush of Blood, Beat Saber, ... still if you find a single one used for a good price it would be enough for this game.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Setup my VR today for the first time in a while, bought beat saver, what a awesome game, up there with superhot for me.

Also got some time on Astro bot as I've note played it much since picking it up last year, man the verticality of the levels is stunning.

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should buy some, but fyi you only need 1 for Everybody's Golf, and also the tracking is perrrrrrfect.
The tracking on the swings feels great. However, I'm finding that with the small subtle motions of putting, the putter doesn't always move at the correct angle. It's the first time I've ever really felt negatively towards the Move controllers, but for something like golf it's going to be a really big problem if you can't consistently make short range putts because of tracking issues.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The tracking on the swings feels great. However, I'm finding that with the small subtle motions of putting, the putter doesn't always move at the correct angle. It's the first time I've ever really felt negatively towards the Move controllers, but for something like golf it's going to be a really big problem if you can't consistently make short range putts because of tracking issues.

I was playing this for A few hours and never noticed any problems so will test this out soon.

It went from didn't even know it existed to instant pre order for me. Game is great!

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing this for A few hours and never noticed any problems so will test this out soon.

It went from didn't even know it existed to instant pre order for me. Game is great!
I'm definitely in the same boat in that this is something I never knew I wanted to suddenly becoming an instant pre-order. I don't know how this game would be for people without much real-life golf experience, but to be able to just look into the distance at the flag and physically swing at the correct power without taking a moment to even look at the HUD is an incredible feeling. Heck, my terrible slice is even in the game!

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017

I've never played an Everybody's Golf game, but that kind of thing definitely has been my impression of what I've seen of previous ones. I'm with you; that kind of thing is such a turnoff that I can't imagine being able to play the game. If I'd be embarrassed to play a game in front of anybody, that's a pretty good sign it's not worth playing the game.
So...having now played the demo, I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I expected, although what I expected was the giggly sexualized schoolgirl stereotype. This was mostly what you actually get from the service industry in Japan - so, yes, that's an issue right at the baseline - although the caddy's skirt was small enough to inch that small part of the experience over the creepy line.

That said - the golfing part was reallly fun. The demo has an extensive tutorial on the practice range, and then disappoints by sending you to the actual course and then when you try to take your first swing goes to a cut scene saying "we hope you'll buy the game" and...that's it for the course. But you can go back to the practice range, and find there's two decks on the driving range, along with an "approach mode" (get the ball onto the green, then putt (multiple times, in my case) to sink it) and a "putt mode" that's just putting. All told, I wound up spending about an hour just in the demo, and my arms are slightly sore (I spent a lot of time on the driving range).

It's worth giving the demo a shot; I gather there's only three courses, but that seems like there's still a substantial amount of VR entertainment. Also - it definitely errs on the side of forgiving fun over punishing accuracy; I'm a way shittier golfer in real life.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I got my PSVR two days ago, finally. This thing really has a lot of cables that needed to be plugged in. Luckily they were all numbered so it wasn't hard. My nieces were the first to try it out. They played the Astro Bot demo and absolutely loved it. It's really a well made game.

The first game i have played was Beat Saber... Holy shit, the hype was real. I have never played a more satisfying rythm game. Game is hard though. In the beginning i couldn't handle hard, even normal gave me trouble. But now i can do hard difficulty just fine. I would like if they added some different backrounds and more songs. I'm somewhat jealous of the PC folks who can just mod in any song they want. I know this will never be possible on a closed system, but i at least want them to add more diverse sounding tracks through DLC. What we can buy right now is a good first step but i need way more tracks. Oh i almost forgot the most important part. Crossing the light sabers feels awesome and now i want a VR Jedi game. Anyway, game is already great as it is right now and i will keep playing it for a long time.

The second game i have played extensively is The Persistence. This game is a lot of fun as well. The only nitpick i have is that you can't use the move controllers, which would have made the game a lot more immersive. Still, even with DS4 the game plays fine and i got spooked a lot while wandering the dark corridors of this spaceship. I'm playing this game with all comfort options off and smooth walking on. At first it made me feel a little bit nauseating, but that feeling was gone already after i started my second play session. This is a rougue like which means you lose all the weapons you had equipped in your current run when you die, and the levels are procedurally generated. You can collect two kinds of currency with which you can buy permanent upgrades which will help you a lot on your playthrough. This game has quite a few weapons to choose from. I like to use almost all of them with the exception of one or two. I have completed the second section already and i'm sure i will play this game through as it is a lot of fun. Even without VR this wouldn't be a bad game though VR adds a lot to it's creepy atmosphere.

After i'm done with this game i have Resident Evil 7 waiting for me. So far VR has not disappointed me. There is only one major gripe i have and that's resolution. I had the same issue with Labo VR, which had of course even worse resolution. It's much better with PSVR but still, i need higher res.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Have had the PSVR since shortly after release but didn't get Move controllers until now.

Beat Saber: Great fun, only having unknown songs is definitely a bummer though. The tracking worked mostly well, a few times my Sabres weirdly switched sides and glitched out or didn't register when I had to slice upwards.

Superhot: Wow, insane to think this wasn't even meant to be a VR title at first. Can't imagine how it plays without. It's an amazing experience but I had MAJOR tracking issues. Gun often looked way higher in game than I was actually holding my hand. Camera often lost track of the Moves. Ducking always put me out of area. Throwing objects was really hard.

I will try to set my camera up better but it honestly looks fine to me (on top of the tv, about 1,5 meters from the player) and I can't set up my whole furniture around PSVR....

As expected, I enjoy VR games with the controller more. With all the competition I think PSVR will have fallen off pretty hard by the time PSVR2 comes along. The tracking is just not good enough.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Superhot: Wow, insane to think this wasn't even meant to be a VR title at first. Can't imagine how it plays without. It's an amazing experience but I had MAJOR tracking issues. Gun often looked way higher in game than I was actually holding my hand. Camera often lost track of the Moves. Ducking always put me out of area. Throwing objects was really hard.
Superhot VR is an interesting one because they made big changes for the VR version. Superhot Flat is a first person shooter with full freedom of movement. It could work in VR on a PC with dedicated VR controllers, or in a large room, but they decided to fix the player in one spot instead. I'm glad they did because it made it viable for PSVR.

As for the tracking, where is your camera located? I have to place mine high up for Superhot.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Throwing objects was really hard.
Superhot VR is stupid when it comes to throwing objects, if you try to do it the instinctive way, with a parabolic and pushing the button thinking it will go forward (like you would throw a knife in the real life), it will instead go down to the ground, because the current displacement vector of the move when you push the button is in fact going straight down.
Superhot does the opposite of every other throwing items games out there. to be precise you have to do it in a totally not natural way, and instead move your hand in a straight line, always, going directly and exactly in the direction where you want the item to go, and then release the button, because this is the displacement vector that the item will follow.
not sure if i'm clear.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Superhot VR is stupid when it come to throwing objects, if you try to do it the instinctive way, with a parabolic and pushing the button thinking it will go forward (like you would throw a knife in the real life), it will instead go down to the ground, because the current displacement vector of the move when you push the button is in fact going straight down.
Superhot does the opposite of every other throwing items games out there. to be precise you have to do it in a totally not natural way, and instead move your hand in a straight line, always, going directly and exactly in the direction where you want the item to go, and then release the button, because this is the displacement vector that the item will follow.
not sure if i'm clear.
Somebody here compared it to pushing a float on the surface of a pool.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Superhot: Wow, insane to think this wasn't even meant to be a VR title at first. Can't imagine how it plays without.

Regular SuperHOT is a completely different game with different stages, etc. It has full movement (which is also tied to time flow) so that makes levels bigger and opens up a lot of possibilities (e.g. there's a stage where you have to dodge a speeding truck, others with light platforming, and in most of them you have to keep moving to avoid being swarmed). The other thing is that throwing items is 100% accurate so it becomes a much more reliable tactic, as opposed to the kind of crapshoot, especially at long ranges, that it is in VR.

There's one interesting thing about the VR version and that is that by not having movement, including jumping, it fixes something that was a bit awkward in the original, which is that jumping forced time to move forward constantly for the duration of the jump, making it quite dangerous under fire.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Superhot VR is one of the greatest experiences in gaming I've ever had. RE7 is too but I'm too scared to continue playing it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here play PSVR only sitting? Curious where the best placement for the camera is for it. I played a few games and most i played had no problems but i noticed games like Firewall, although i can play sitting the gun placement is a little weird and i can't find any settings in the game like in Beat Saber where you can adjust for the floor/height. I really want to pick up Superhot and Arizona Sunshine but if those aren't playable sitting at all i don't want to waste that much money.

EDIT also i think one of my HDMI cables is bad will a 2 pack of amazon basics HDMI work for PS4/PSVR?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here play PSVR only sitting? Curious where the best placement for the camera is for it. I played a few games and most i played had no problems but i noticed games like Firewall, although i can play sitting the gun placement is a little weird and i can't find any settings in the game like in Beat Saber where you can adjust for the floor/height. I really want to pick up Superhot and Arizona Sunshine but if those aren't playable sitting at all i don't want to waste that much money.

EDIT also i think one of my HDMI cables is bad will a 2 pack of amazon basics HDMI work for PS4/PSVR?

Play mine mostly sitting except for Beat Saber. Have the camera on top of the TV - probably in line with the top of my head, about 2m away. Is generally fine. Only tracking issues I've had are with Beat Saber when i'm Ducking down

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Play mine mostly sitting except for Beat Saber. Have the camera on top of the TV - probably in line with the top of my head, about 2m away. Is generally fine. Only tracking issues I've had are with Beat Saber when i'm Ducking down
I had the duck problem at first until i adjusted the floor in-game and i don't even really need to duck that far or move left/right that far which is perfect for me

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Superhot requires you to move around in order to avoid bullets. That means moving left and right, as well as ducking. It might still be possible to play sitting, but IMO if you're not prepared to act like Neo from the Matrix, it's not worth playing the game at all.

edit: I also found it requires a lot of space. I don't have quite enough space so I've smacked the furniture a few times.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Superhot VR is stupid when it comes to throwing objects, if you try to do it the instinctive way, with a parabolic and pushing the button thinking it will go forward (like you would throw a knife in the real life), it will instead go down to the ground, because the current displacement vector of the move when you push the button is in fact going straight down.
not sure if i'm clear.
Once you figure out the sweet spot though you can start doing this with the moves
bfln5jRa_L37ziNWm-xNvBdnqT6JZ9_-js3-9dqFCwcunhePyr1xfUxKciLEoqDK8fOE_jYwAqhJUIWs7HBekpGCpiFsJhikY8xnk0t2HjU

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Arms are hurting after extensive Beat Saber - Expert+ as session.

Anyone managed to get the first part of 'Unlimited Power' down (just after the "coming from overhead..." lyrics where you have to duck)?

I've played a lot of Beat Saber and can stumble my way through most Expert+ variants, but can't reliably make my way through this!