• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering In Death, Tethered or Shooty Fruity myself. Any glowing recommendations or cautionary warnings?

I've only played for a few hours, but I've had fun with In Death. It's not amazing, but it is a good roguelike with a Dark Soulsian vibe to it. The archery can be a bit fiddly at times, but standing at an angle, so that the camera can pick up both move controllers, work well for the most part.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Shooty Fruity is my favorite shooter gallery, it's super chaotic, the supermarket mechanichs are fun.
I found Tethered boring and fiddly. It has a demo, on one of the demo discs or separately, I can't remember.
I've only played for a few hours, but I've had fun with In Death. It's not amazing, but it is a good roguelike with a Dark Soulsian vibe to it. The archery can be a bit fiddly at times, but standing at an angle, so that the camera can pick up both move controllers, work well for the most part.

Thank you everyone. I should probably have mentioned that I played the Tethered demo, although for some reason that was never updated with Move controller support.

Feb 15, 2018
Considering the following from the sale. Any thoughts appreciated -

A Fisherman's Tale (seems like a safe bet if you are happy with about 2 hours of entertainment). Are the collectibles fun to find?

Creed - Less certain about this one, have read that it is difficult to play if you are left handed, and i don't have much space. Also no PS+ sub so would be single player only. I'm guessing the community is dead?

Feb 15, 2018
Hmm, Shooty Fruity is on my radar now after watching the PSVR without Parole review. Is this still one of the better wave shooters out there? Despite owning my PSVR since launch day, I still do not have any wave shooters, and 8 quid could be the entry price point for me.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Resident Evil 7, what a ride. Horror games are really well suited for VR. The feeling of being there is unbelievable. Just walking through the Bakers house while you hear all those creepy noises has been one of my most intense gaming experinces.

This is now my favorite RE game, it would have been even without VR, but VR has made it a much more atmospheric, and personal experience. I think Alien: Isolation is still my favorite horror game but RE7 comes very close, and maybe, with time, will even overtake it.

I also tried the WipEout demo and holy balls is that a polished experience. The graphics are rally good in VR. Didn't have any problem with the resolution like i had with RE7. I will make sure to buy it in this sale.

Would ghost giant be good for my non gaming wife.
I just got done playing this today, and it's a really cute take on the whole VR diorama puzzle genre that's been getting a lot of traction since the success of Moss. I will mention these points about it, though:

1. There's a turn in the story that adds some dramatic heft to it that doesn't spoil the playful and charming atmosphere that much, but it might hit someone pretty hard if they've ever had to deal with it themselves in their lives. It's not an outright spoiler, but I'll put it in spoilers just to be safe.
The main character has a loved one in their life that's suffering from crippling depression and the game pulls surprisingly few punches on its depiction and what it does to both of them.

2. It's a Move-only game, so the controls can be finicky at points, especially for one of the collectibles that you can earn. It is mostly fine in that department, though, so YMMV for either you or her in how you'll manage.

3. It's real short, even for a platinum run. I'm not going to be the one to tell you whether or not it's worth the asking price right now, but for people looking for a lot of bang for their buck, $24.99 might be a bit too much for something that really doesn't offer up much replay value.

The characters are endearing, the humor is gently amusing and you're always doing something new in each scene, even if you're revisiting an previous location, so there's a lot of variety packed into its total playtime. Throw in a great hand-crafted art style and some rather soothing music, and you've got yourself a good time for an afternoon or two.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd been going back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger on PSVR since it launched. Job Simulator was one of my first VR experiences that sold me on the overall concept. I always told myself it would be a day-one purchase if I got a PSVR. I've been kind of obsessed with it.

But time and life constraints held me back from taking the plunge and pulling the trigger...until yesterday.

I was offered a free digital copy of Beat Saber with the purchase of PSVR from a friendly chap at one of the many (awesome) video game shops in Taipei's vast Main Station Underground Shopping Mall. So, I mindlessly plunked down my cc without a second thought. Fuck it. Why not?

My obvious purchases:

Immediate:
Super Hot
Job Simulator
Star Trek Bridge Crew

Very soon:
AstroBot
Blood and Truth

Possibly:
Tetris Effect

But I'm looking for a wide variety of experiences and games, and I'm open to any number of suggestions.

I really could see myself building a PSVR library to carry me through the next 12 months before the PS5 launches. So fire away!

Also, is Arizona Sunshine any good?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'd been going back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger on PSVR since it launched. Job Simulator was one of my first VR experiences that sold me on the overall concept. I always told myself it would be a day-one purchase if I got a PSVR. I've been kind of obsessed with it.

But time and life constraints held me back from taking the plunge and pulling the trigger...until yesterday.

I was offered a free digital copy of Beat Saber with the purchase of PSVR from a friendly chap at one of the many (awesome) video game shops in Taipei's vast Main Station Underground Shopping Mall. So, I mindlessly plunked down my cc without a second thought. Fuck it. Why not?

My obvious purchases:

Immediate:
Super Hot
Job Simulator
Star Trek Bridge Crew

Very soon:
AstroBot
Blood and Truth

Possibly:
Tetris Effect

But I'm looking for a wide variety of experiences and games, and I'm open to any number of suggestions.

I really could see myself building a PSVR library to carry me through the next 12 months before the PS5 launches. So fire away!

Statik. It's unlike anything on your list, it's funny, it's creepy, and it's very satisfying to complete.

edit: oh and WipEout. That should be an immediate purchase too.

I'll second Statik. It's a really rad puzzle game that makes excellent use of the need for a standard controller, and the vibe throughout make it feel like what would happen if Portal played more like a horror game while still being damn hilarious.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
just a heads up for people tetris effect and astrobot are $20 at gamestop for Pro members. They are pro only sales but on sunday they are supposedly going to everyone, and since they are in stock on amazon there is a good chance they will drop to those prices on amazon as well.

edit; nevermind I guess, while I originally read that the pro day sales would open to everyone today it seems that they are just gone now.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the following from the sale. Any thoughts appreciated -

A Fisherman's Tale (seems like a safe bet if you are happy with about 2 hours of entertainment). Are the collectibles fun to find?

Creed - Less certain about this one, have read that it is difficult to play if you are left handed, and i don't have much space. Also no PS+ sub so would be single player only. I'm guessing the community is dead?

Found a match on creed in seconds. Is really fun

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

My obvious purchases:

Immediate:
Super Hot
Job Simulator
Star Trek Bridge Crew

Very soon:
AstroBot
Blood and Truth

Possibly:
Tetris Effect

- You're damn right putting SuperHOT at the top of your list. :D
- As others have said, Wipeout is a no-brainer.
- Download Rec Room, it can easily give you hundreds of hours of intense gameplay for the low, low cost of zero.
- I personally liked Raw Data a ton, but wait for a sale because the base price is pretty expensive. It goes on deep sales (> 70%) often.
- I'm recently playing Space Pirate Trainer and it's quite fun too.
- I haven't played RE7 yet but people swear by it.

I didn't realise budget cuts was being ported to PSVR.

I didn't either, that's great!

Well I guess the VR naysayers will be happy, PSVR is finally getting budget cuts like they wanted.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

My obvious purchases:

Immediate:
Super Hot
Job Simulator
Star Trek Bridge Crew

Very soon:
AstroBot
Blood and Truth

Possibly:
Tetris Effect

i think Ultrawings is a pretty good game, it never gave me motion sickness which i'm kinda prone to with other games as i can't find the time to build up my VR legs enough. and it's a great feeling flying around the islands doing some of the missions.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So hey gang. Just got my PSVR set up.

Is it generally agreed that placing the camera in a higher position is best for tracking movement?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Is it generally agreed that placing the camera in a higher position is best for tracking movement?

Yup, higher than your head and facing a bit down. This way you won't constantly put the moves between the headset and the camera (which is when tracking usually fucks up).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

You can run into issues if you place it too high. I place it high up for standing games like Superhot, but if I sit down and play Astrobot the camera loses track of the DS4 when I tilt it down (which is required at times).

I move my camera pretty often.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky to get Aim controler for cheap on Best buy canada (the sale still up 30$ off for firewall bundle, go get it). Decide to finaly tried farpoint, i bought it since 2 month but never tried it before having Aimcontroler.....

It's funny how such a average game on flat screen, could became a 8-9 / 10 for me just with great VR and one of the most amazing, controler i've ever play in my life. This is the most fun experience at shooting at a screen i've never had since Resident Evil Dead aim on Ps2. The game is also super challenging, i've heard it a little adaptative if you die on lot on a section, but i've never felt anything becoming easier. Ho i don't like spider in general (no fear just don't like them), AND THIS GAME IS PURE NIGHTMARE AT THE BEGINING ! My god de 17% of people that never pass first section have probably "nop!" at the first encounter.

Can't wait to try FIreWall, it must be amazing !

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone looking for moves. (in Europe)

I'd ordered some off amazon even though the estimated delivery date wasn't until July (I was gonna cancel if I found em elsewhere). They just messaged me to say the delivery date has been moved up til next week.

I presume a fresh batch is being sent out to everyone. Price will drop in CEX, etc too I guess.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Everybody's Golf putting practice convinced me of two things:

1) I am going to buy and probably love this game

2) I seriously need to buy some Move controllers
Got some Move controllers. Pre-ordered Everybody's Golf and bought SuperHot.

I have been hitting the driving range every evening after work on the Everybody's Golf demo. Even my partner's been trying it out and enjoying it!

Can't wait to slice my way around actual courses tomorrow!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I set the camera even higher up a few days ago (on the top shelf of the TV cabinet, well over 2m above ground) and it now registers the moves no matter if I touch the ground with them or stand up with my arms stretched up, it's pretty great. I've also gotten Shooty Fruity and In Death from the sale (first games I buy in, like, months) and between these, and Space Pirate Trainer which is finally clicking for me, I'm having such a great time. :)

Feb 15, 2018
I set the camera even higher up a few days ago (on the top shelf of the TV cabinet, well over 2m above ground) and it now registers the moves no matter if I touch the ground with them or stand up with my arms stretched up, it's pretty great. I've also gotten Shooty Fruity and In Death from the sale (first games I buy in, like, months) and between these, and Space Pirate Trainer which is finally clicking for me, I'm having such a great time. :)

Yeah I picked up Shooty Fruity. It's absolutely fantastic. Also moved my camera up higher today so I have good height range, bit I only have quite limited side to side space. It's so frustrating when I punch a cabinet rather than pick up dog food from the conveyor belt....

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I picked up Shooty Fruity. It's absolutely fantastic. Also moved my camera up higher today so I have good height range, bit I only have quite limited side to side space. It's so frustrating when I punch a cabinet rather than pick up dog food from the conveyor belt....
Try punching a cabinet at full swing while playing Sparc. Shattered 2 move controllers (and nearly my hands) doing that in the early days...

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
No Man's Sky is currently on sale (PSN) for $25 if you've not picked it up yet. It's getting a VR mode in the coming months and may not go on sale again before that (and it's still $60 digitally).

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No Man's Sky is currently on sale (PSN) for $25 if you've not picked it up yet. It's getting a VR mode in the coming months and may not go on sale again before that (and it's still $60 digitally).

I have it on my wishlist but EU store for me (I don't want to buy in another region if not necessary). It's already 39€ on a regular basis here, but I'm hoping for a sale before the VR update comes out. So it being on sale in the US gives me hope for possible sale here in Europe.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much does upgrading to a PS4 Pro improve the PSVR experience? Trying to decide if I want to fork over $80 to upgrade mine

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
How much does upgrading to a PS4 Pro improve the PSVR experience? Trying to decide if I want to fork over $80 to upgrade mine

For most games, quite a bit. Usually you'll get better resolution, though I believe performance (frame rate) are basically the same across the board. Some examples are more extreme than others (see: Resident Evil 7).

I'd say it's a worthy investment if you don't plan on getting a PS5 around launch. If you do plan on getting a PS5 near launch, I would just save the $80 you'd spend upgrading and put it towards your PS5 fund, especially when there's a possibility for even further increased performance.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For most games, quite a bit. Usually you'll get better resolution, though I believe performance (frame rate) are basically the same across the board. Some examples are more extreme than others (see: Resident Evil 7).

I'd say it's a worthy investment if you don't plan on getting a PS5 around launch. If you do plan on getting a PS5 near launch, I would just save the $80 you'd spend upgrading and put it towards your PS5 fund, especially when there's a possibility for even further increased performance.
Shoot didn't even think about the PS5.
Do you happen to know the difference in Tetris Effect?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I don't know what it looks like on a base PS4, but Tetris Effect isn't that great looking in PSVR on a Pro. All games look worse in PSVR than flatscreen, but Tetris Effect is one of the games with a real big drop in VR that doesn't have much that VR itself compensates with. I think Skyrim, as a counter-example, is a game that similarly looks much rougher in VR, but actually being in that world, rather than just watching it through a window, makes up for the drop in visuals.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Shoot didn't even think about the PS5.
Do you happen to know the difference in Tetris Effect?

I think there's just a minor bump in resolution and an AA solution, but it's not a staggering difference as far as I'm aware. Not enough that I'd recommend upgrading this late into the PS4's life cycle. By this time next year we'll likely have mountains of PS5 information, along with full details on what PS4 BC will look like (and it'll likely involve a good host of improvements over PS4 Pro).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
must resist urge to destroy left controller with hammer.
tried two different controllers and neither wanted to stop going crazy today during beat saber :/

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Bah, two additional patches since the update to firewall, and it's still impossible to start a matchmaking search, alone or in a party, wtf. Finding players for bot matches worked but not regular pvp, the meat of the game.

Thank god for Wipeout, amazing experience.