• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
VR or not, I always wind up playing Elder Scrolls games as a stealth archery sniper. I also wound up using the Dualshock instead of the Moves - I gave them a try for a number of hours, and appreciated the amount of work Bethesda put into trying to get them to work with a game that wasn't designed with them in mind, but eventually switched back to the controller the devs had in mind from the very beginning and happily played another 120 hours or so.

There's no question the PSVR version of Skyrim takes a big hit in graphics, but now that I've played it in VR (and I'd already put over a hundred hours into the flat version), I can't imagine going back. There's just no comparison with how the real world falls away to be replaced by all of the world of Skyrim.
I tried a bit with the DS4 but it seems like the game was clearly created with the moves in mind because of the lack of melee animations etc. in the VR version.

And it would be perfect if it had mods or CC support, but the fact that it doesn't means it's more of a wash than I would have liked.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Wipeout Omega Collection is free with PS+ in August.

Here's a game I hadn't seen mentioned too which might be interesting for fans of the series:

Doctor Who - The Edge of Time - Gameplay Trailer

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've gotta say Farpoint is pretty disappointing so far. The Aim isn't that much better than dual wielding pistols with the Move and the game part itself just feels like a c-tier game from like 2007. No jumping, bland, samey corridor shooting with some random large circle arenas peppered throughout. The shooting is ok I guess but even then idk, enemy variety and AI are both pretty poor, they could have at least swapped the colors of some basic enemies to make it look less silly

I know people hold Farpoint up as the holy grail of VR shooters but I don't really agree thus far

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Wipeout Omega Collection is free with PS+ in August.

Here's a game I hadn't seen mentioned too which might be interesting for fans of the series:

Doctor Who - The Edge of Time - Gameplay Trailer

It's hard to work out from that if it's going to be any good, i hope so as being in the Tardis would be cool in VR, the crying in the comments about using the 13th Doctor is pretty sad.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The Invisible Hours was great. It's difficult to explain.

The concept and gameplay is you watch a murder mystery unfold in real time, with characters moving through the mansion with a lot of tightly plotted intrigue. You are a viewer, not a participant, but you move around the mansion at will (no loads within its five 10ish-minute segments) to choose who (if anyone) you're following at any given moment. You can rewind or fast-forward (and skip to a moment) and move independently of the flow of time to watch what happens freely. It's very well written, so when following any character around you'll also half-stories of other characters, so you'll be interested in following those characters too.

It's both in VR and on a regular screen.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I've gotta say Farpoint is pretty disappointing so far. The Aim isn't that much better than dual wielding pistols with the Move and the game part itself just feels like a c-tier game from like 2007. No jumping, bland, samey corridor shooting with some random large circle arenas peppered throughout. The shooting is ok I guess but even then idk, enemy variety and AI are both pretty poor, they could have at least swapped the colors of some basic enemies to make it look less silly

I know people hold Farpoint up as the holy grail of VR shooters but I don't really agree thus far

Yea, I voiced my disappointment with Farpoint back when I got it also. Like half the game was walking through a single direction narrow corridor fighting endless waves of spiders that came in three sizes. It got a bit better later in the game but it's like a 4-5/10 shooter hiding behind the novelty of the Aim controller. And the Aim controller itself isn't great (it's the driftiest thing I've ever seen in VR).

There are countless VR shooters that I'd place above Farpoint personally.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yea, I voiced my disappointment with Farpoint back when I got it also. Like half the game was walking through a single direction narrow corridor fighting endless waves of spiders that came in three sizes. It got a bit better later in the game but it's like a 4-5/10 shooter hiding behind the novelty of the Aim controller. And the Aim controller itself isn't great (it's the driftiest thing I've ever seen in VR).

There are countless VR shooters that I'd place above Farpoint personally.
Yeah someone described it as a lightgun arcade game stretched over too many hours and I can definitely see that.

Heard the pve and pvp multiplayer is interesting though so I'll check that out later

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Man Farpoint's checkpointing is awful

Ive played hundreds of hours of Borderlands and still enjoying a so so VR port of that more than this.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How is Drunkn Bar Fights?

Is it ok for the $12 or is it trash? I know it's a downgrade over the pc (mad they couldn't add online co op).

Is Firewall Zero Hour and the $10 game pass worth it?

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
NMS has been reinstalled and is awaiting the patch. Curious what the third "big" update is in this version, they only ever talked about two (VR and revamped online) and said there will be three.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I'm going to be traveling that week, so I'll have plenty of time for "OMG this looks way worse in VR" reactions to temper my expectations. Since I've been wanting a VR mode for NMS ever since PSVR was announced, but I'll be going in with reasonable anticipation, I'll count this as a win-win.

My money's on the third pillar being a Joe Danger planet.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Of course the graphics for NMS will be downgraded in VR. However, I find that the presence and the 3d effects/parallaxe more than make up for it. It's like Skyrim VR or Resident Evil, you are IN the game.
It will be a fun time...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I am the dumbest man alive for not snagging NMS digital when it was half off the other week

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
How is Drunkn Bar Fights?

Is it ok for the $12 or is it trash? I know it's a downgrade over the pc (mad they couldn't add online co op).

Is Firewall Zero Hour and the $10 game pass worth it?
Firewall is THE vr game. Especially if you have the aim controller. They've had continuous server issues since the season pass came out though. I wouldn't buy the season pass now, or ever. It's about to become invalid somewhat anyway, it truly is a *season* pass and the season is almost over. The game itself is bloody amazing when it works.

Have theysaid anything about controllee support for NMS?

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I know moves are supported. Guessing DS4 too. No clue about aim.

The minute they announced vr for nms I kept a lookout for sales.

But to be fair I'm guessing your psvr purchase wasn't planned when it was on sale?
Nah I didn't have as much disposable income then lol

It's funny too cause I originally pre-ordered it and got it for less than it is now with the now defunct Amazon pre order bonus thingy, then refunded it, now I'm looking again. Could prolly get it physically for a decent price but we all know how annoying physical VR games are

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Tonight my love for BL2VR grew even more (as did my dislike for Farpoint aka shooting spiders in boring level design and repetitive environments for hours on end). I still wish that they altered the scopes to make it more like Farpoint and less like just a tightened reticle or the abysmal scope window framerate but alas. Co-op would be dope too, is it only BAMF that's holding them back or was it technical issues? Oh also the complete lack of sprint kills me as someone who's beaten the campaign 10+ times

Would it be possible for 2D games to add Aim support? Because I am getting so so many more crits than I ever did in the flat versions of this series and I'm annoyed I have to go back to the DS4 in a month with BL3.

Excited to try out Zer0, although not being able to melee motion control with the Aim does suck.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Firewall is THE vr game. Especially if you have the aim controller. They've had continuous server issues since the season pass came out though. I wouldn't buy the season pass now, or ever. It's about to become invalid somewhat anyway, it truly is a *season* pass and the season is almost over. The game itself is bloody amazing when it works.

Have theysaid anything about controllee support for NMS?
Can you explain? So after say a year, the content goes away? Is it limited release content?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I wonder what the lowest price the psn version has been.

I know the physical copy tanked due to harsh reviews at one point. You could find a cheap copy on letgo or something but I'm more interested in a cheap digital copy.
It's been on sale a few time but not that much off. I don't think they will have a sale soon with the VR release. I really doubt it will be 30$ or less anytime soon (digitally).
I agree that it nice not to flip disk with VR but for me it not enough to pay 20$+ more for it.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Can you explain? So after say a year, the content goes away? Is it limited release content?
I didn't buy it myself so I don't have the exact info. But as I have understood it, the season pass will be taken offline in a very short time, and that will cause certain related aspects to become locked out forever. For example, the last 8 weeks, we've had skins and weapon trinkets be unlocked by completing season pass challenges (kill x enemies etc). Those unlocks will be gone unless you've already unlocked them. The new characters have been behind the season pass paywall as far as I know, and I'm not sure if they intend to release them for free in the future (they're not free yet anyway). Same goes for new weapons but I believe they will be put into rotation for purchase after the season is over. The top reward for the season pass is a unique weapon skin for the AK and that skin will be forever lost as far as we know once the season is over. There's still time to complete the challenges but hardly enough to do it all.

I might be missing something as I haven't been keeping an eye on the official twitter or anything. I believe they removed all previous skins and cosmetics from the ps store when the season pass got released and those are gone forever too as far as I know.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Checking out my wishlist items that are on sale. How is Fisherman's Tale? Will cost me about £1.50 so seems daft not to. Thought the first trailer looked interesting but didn't follow it after launch so don't know if there are any performance issues or bugs?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I didn't buy it myself so I don't have the exact info. But as I have understood it, the season pass will be taken offline in a very short time, and that will cause certain related aspects to become locked out forever. For example, the last 8 weeks, we've had skins and weapon trinkets be unlocked by completing season pass challenges (kill x enemies etc). Those unlocks will be gone unless you've already unlocked them. The new characters have been behind the season pass paywall as far as I know, and I'm not sure if they intend to release them for free in the future (they're not free yet anyway). Same goes for new weapons but I believe they will be put into rotation for purchase after the season is over. The top reward for the season pass is a unique weapon skin for the AK and that skin will be forever lost as far as we know once the season is over. There's still time to complete the challenges but hardly enough to do it all.

I might be missing something as I haven't been keeping an eye on the official twitter or anything. I believe they removed all previous skins and cosmetics from the ps store when the season pass got released and those are gone forever too as far as I know.
Thanks for the info.

It's a shame if that is the case. I think of CTR and the monthly Grand Prix. You should be able to unlock all the related GP stuff eventually through the in game store. Too bad the devs for Forewall ZH made these choices bc I would seriously purchase the pass and just grind my way for the unlocks. Now I'm not sure I want to support them.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the info.

It's a shame if that is the case. I think of CTR and the monthly Grand Prix. You should be able to unlock all the related GP stuff eventually through the in game store. Too bad the devs for Forewall ZH made these choices bc I would seriously purchase the pass and just grind my way for the unlocks. Now I'm not sure I want to support them.

Thanks for your feedback though.
Beyond some outfits skins and new characters, I don't see the point of the season pass(es). But they are really cheap I guess. The game itself is golden, as long as the servers work as intended, which has been a crazy ride these last 8 weeks since the season pass got released for some reason. Stick around and see what they say about the next season.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sony wins for now... They are going to fade to second by next year without a doubt.
Hopefully they release the 2.0 VR within a year of the ps5 because right now the PSVR feels about as cheap as the phone based VR when compared to stuff like the Oculus Quest which is wireless with no camera needed to be set up and much better tracking.

That being said they still have some great games on it and coming so I haven't gotten rid of my PSVR... but I really want a quest like headset with the playstation ecosystem on the ps5 :P

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I was confused by the headline (as PSVR is pretty much the cheapest actual headset in the market) until I realized they counted stuff like Google cardboard as "headsets" too.

Sony wins for now... They are going to fade to second by next year without a doubt.
Hopefully they release the 2.0 VR within a year of the ps5 because right now the PSVR feels about as cheap as the phone based VR when compared to stuff like the Oculus Quest which is wireless with no camera needed to be set up and much better tracking.

That being said they still have some great games on it and coming so I haven't gotten rid of my PSVR... but I really want a quest like headset with the playstation ecosystem on the ps5 :P

You are projecting far too much of your own wants and preferences into the general public. PSVR isn't going anywhere yet, and comparing it to phone headsets makes me question if you have ever tried any of the latter. :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I was confused by the headline (as PSVR is pretty much the cheapest actual headset in the market) until I realized they counted stuff like Google cardboard as "headsets" too.

You are projecting far too much of your own wants and preferences into the general public. PSVR isn't going anywhere yet, and comparing it to phone headsets makes me question if you have ever tried any of the latter. :P
I've tried the phone stuff.. it's garbage. Psvr is much better. And the quest is much better than psvr. Tracking with psvr is fine enough until you try some good tracking.

And last i checked the general population would like a cheap wireless headset that doesn't require set up to track :p

My main point is psvr is old tech and it's just going to look worse and worse while the quest can't stay in stock. With only a 5% difference and companies that get on quest setting early sales records it won't be long until psvr is surpassed. A new psvr headset at 250-400 that is wireless with a better tracking solution would help alot. That being said i wouldn't be surprised if Sony waited until eye tracking was ready. So likely 3 years from now.

Again don't get me wrong psvr is great for what it is... But it's old tech in a quickly evolving tech area and just getting older.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've tried the phone stuff.. it's garbage. Psvr is much better. And the quest is much better than psvr. Tracking with psvr is fine enough until you try some good tracking.

And last i checked the general population would like a cheap wireless headset that doesn't require set up to track :p

My main point is psvr is old tech and it's just going to look worse and worse while the quest can't stay in stock. With only a 5% difference and companies that get on quest setting early sales records it won't be long until psvr is surpassed. A new psvr headset at 250-400 that is wireless with a better tracking solution would help alot. That being said i wouldn't be surprised if Sony waited until eye tracking was ready. So likely 3 years from now.

Again don't get me wrong psvr is great for what it is... But it's old tech in a quickly evolving tech area and just getting older.

I fully agree, PSVR is ancient tech. But like you say, I don't think PSVR2 is going to be ready until 2-3 years from now at the least.

Also, I just realized the chart is from 2018, which is actually quite impressive for Oculus. They're certainly going to dominate the 2019 chart with the Quest, hahah.

In any case, this is good news for VR in general. People seem to be moving away from the phone stuff but not letting that color their perception of VR, since they're actually spending on actual headsets.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree, PSVR is ancient tech. But like you say, I don't think PSVR2 is going to be ready until 2-3 years from now at the least.

Also, I just realized the chart is from 2018, which is actually quite impressive for Oculus. They're certainly going to dominate the 2019 chart with the Quest, hahah.

In any case, this is good news for VR in general. People seem to be moving away from the phone stuff but not letting that color their perception of VR, since they're actually spending on actual headsets.
Yup. Thanks to psvr and the quest we are getting more companies putting good money into vr games. The future looks good. Psvr will continue to do well but Oculus will likely be on top the next few years.

It's not a slight against Sony. Just timing. I think when they release the psvr2.0 and some high budget games they will climb back to the top. Especially if the ps5 is designed with streaming to a headset in mind and you just have to connect it to the ps5 and set up your play area like you can on the quest.

I have been showing family members the quest and with more software and potentially a 300 price tag next year i think it could have a wii moment as everyone i show it to wants one but 400 is a bit too much and beat saber isn't quite the casual grabbing game wii sports was.

Oculus can't keep the quest in stock as is... I'm curious at it's potential once Facebook starts marketing for the holidays.

Getting back to psvr though. I think the future if quite bright for vr and Sony is a large part of that. The quest is nice but can't do high end games. The ps5 alone should open up a lot more high end vr potential since don't has a decent chunk of the vr market and the ps5 should sell well and be in par with a higher end gaming pc. (Roughly what you can get with around a 1k budget not taking into account windows license or stuff like monitor it keyboard in the cost just the computer stuff)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Sony can pull off wireless + inside out tracking for PSVR2 I think it's going to do very well.

I can't buy tethered headsets going forward (have PSVR + Quest currently).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I have been showing family members the quest and with more software and potentially a 300 price tag next year i think it could have a wii moment

I'm not sure a 300 price tag is possible at all, next year at least. Of course, its probably more relevant to ask if it makes sense for them to drop the price that low at all, if they're running out of stock constantly. It's pretty much the same as the Switch, when people were expecting price drops while they were still selling like hotcakes.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure a 300 price tag is possible at all, next year at least. Of course, its probably more relevant to ask if it makes sense for them to drop the price that low at all, if they're running out of stock constantly. It's pretty much the same as the Switch, when people were expecting price drops while they were still selling like hotcakes.
It would depend on if they want to sell it at a loss and how the demand remains.

Oct 28, 2017
So my Moves arrived. These are pretty dogshit aren't they? First of all I was annoyed they didn't have any charge out of the box so could not be used right away. Then I discovered they don't even come with a charger! I had to unplug the USB cable connected to my PSVR just to charge one of them.

But hey now lets try using one. Why does this thing not have an analog stick? Navigating menus with motion is stupid. Controls in general feep so damn limited on these things.These things feel like a cheap and nasty motion control solution and the whole thing feels so lazy. Look if they were going to be pushing motion control for PSVR they should have released something new and something better. They absolutely need to do that next gen.

And why were these so expensive? They don't feel expensive!

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So my Moves arrived. These are pretty dogshit aren't they? First of all I was annoyed they didn't have any charge out of the box so could not be used right away. Then I discovered they don't even come with a charger! I had to unplug the USB cable connected to my PSVR just to charge one of them.

But hey now lets try using one. Why does this thing not have an analog stick? Navigating menus with motion is stupid. Controls in general feep so damn limited on these things.These things feel like a cheap and nasty motion control solution and the whole thing feels so lazy. Look if they were going to be pushing motion control for PSVR they should have released something new and something better. They absolutely need to do that next gen.

And why were these so expensive? They don't feel expensive!
Moves jumped up in price when psvr released. I'm guessing the new battery is what is keeping them this expensive.

You could buy them for like 15 20 bucks up to mid/late 2016.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So got Arizona Sunshine, Rez Infinite, Killing Floor Incursion and Raw Data in the sale now.

Arizona Sunshine isn't that good so far (using an AIM) people shittalked the graphics on the base version and mentioned a ton of technical issues and how the MC doesn't ever shut up and those aren't really complaints of mine. My issue is it's a zombie shooting game and the guns, sound and feedback all feel like complete dogshit, and looting a car door or trunk takes wayyyy too much movement for the Aim so I have to pull up like 3 or 4 times just to mimic opening a trunk.

Rez Infinite's campaign I still don't really 'get' what to do with bosses and it's always frustrating in a game when you don't know if your inputs are having much effect or if you're doing things the right way. Plus there's like 3 different movement/camera settings and like 3 different aim settings, plus I don't know whether to use a ds4 or the moves. The sound and visuals are a treat though and Area X is fantastic.

Killing Floor is pretty great so far, I wish the holdouts had classes like the main games but with less grinding but I'm still enjoying it. Only real complaint is that the bosses seem spongey so far.

Raw Data is a lot more like the demo than I would have hoped, I loved the demo but I've been to three stages now and they're all strikingly similar. I like how they have smooth movement but the teleshifting seems so much better meta wise honestly. I liked robot pistol dude but it's annoying he doesn't start with his upgrades (plus the main menu/upgrade UI is a little unintuitive but oh well). I also think the shotgun and blade (especially the former) are a little awkward to use 2 hands with, but the ninja is still my favorite character. Being able to deflect projectiles and throw the futuristic katana is all I've ever wanted.

I think all 3 shooters I would enjoy more in the co-op though, perhaps with the exception of Killing Floor's campaign.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona Sunshine isn't that good so far (using an AIM) people shittalked the graphics on the base version and mentioned a ton of technical issues and how the MC doesn't ever shut up and those aren't really complaints of mine. My issue is it's a zombie shooting game and the guns, sound and feedback all feel like complete dogshit, and looting a car door or trunk takes wayyyy too much movement for the Aim so I have to pull up like 3 or 4 times just to mimic opening a trunk.

Arizona is much better played with Moves unfortunately. Dualwielding handguns gives better gameplay and allows for picking up items and such more naturally.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Raw Data is a lot more like the demo than I would have hoped, I loved the demo but I've been to three stages now and they're all strikingly similar. I like how they have smooth movement but the teleshifting seems so much better meta wise honestly. I liked robot pistol dude but it's annoying he doesn't start with his upgrades (plus the main menu/upgrade UI is a little unintuitive but oh well). I also think the shotgun and blade (especially the former) are a little awkward to use 2 hands with, but the ninja is still my favorite character. Being able to deflect projectiles and throw the futuristic katana is all I've ever wanted.

The shotgun gets an upgrade where you can reload it with one hand by shaking it down, but I still found it better to pump it as it allowed me to keep my aim.
Sword throwing takes a bit to get used to (you can control it mid-flight) but it's quite fun, and so is telekinesis once you unlock it with that character.
My biggest issue is with the bow guy, where I end up swapping hands half of the time I want to nock an arrow. It's the exact same button, you grab the string to nock, and the bow handle to swap hands, so in the heat of battle when you're quick-firing arrows and can't afford to be super precise it happens constantly (and stops you in your tracks until you swap back). I even messaged the devs about it and they told me they'd look at it, but I don't know if they fixed it. The issue is exclusive to PSVR as on PC they're different buttons.

I think all 3 shooters I would enjoy more in the co-op though, perhaps with the exception of Killing Floor's campaign.

Yeah, Raw Data has multiplayer (both co-op and versus, I think) on PC, but they removed it for the PSVR version. :/