• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
This is a constant source of confusion and despair to me. Things like the AC7 VR mode prove that a dogfighting aircraft/starship combat game is one of the most mindblowing VR experiences, and yet here we are without a single AAA single-player cockpit fighter VR game with a decent length campaign, even though Sony owns an IP that is begging for it.

The only excuse I'll accept from Sony is that they're waiting for PSVR2 to bring back COLONY WARS in all its glory.

Imagine a WWI or WWII dogfight game like in Battlefield 1...

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Would be amazing in VR, Imagine Spiderman where you are still following Spiderman but now the buildings around you are real size. The sense of speed that you get would be amazing. Or Horizon with the Thunderjaws and other huge robo dinos being real size. One of my dream VR games is The Witcher 3 VR, where you would really feel like you are entering towns, caves, seeing monsters flying over you, everything would be intensified. Or GOW3 in VR with the titans being extremely huge. Not all VR games need to be first person as Astrobot, Theseus, and Bound should show you

Exactly, I'm convinced there is a way to make these type of games shine in VR. Sony needs to seriously work on it, because if they don't, they won't offer their biggest games in VR nextgen yet again, which would really really suck.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly, I'm convinced there is a way to make these type of games shine in VR. Sony needs to seriously work on it, because if they don't, they won't offer their biggest games in VR nextgen yet again, which would really really suck.
I'm really hoping that VR remasters become a thing next gen, especially as backwards compatability is going to be more of a thing and patches would make buying "enhanced version" worthless at it could technically be patched in, yes technically VR could be patched in too as we see in NMS but I would be more willing to buy a "VR version" of a game rather than just a resolution/framerate boost.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Would be amazing in VR, Imagine Spiderman where you are still following Spiderman but now the buildings around you are real size. The sense of speed that you get would be amazing. Or Horizon with the Thunderjaws and other huge robo dinos being real size. One of my dream VR games is The Witcher 3 VR, where you would really feel like you are entering towns, caves, seeing monsters flying over you, everything would be intensified. Or GOW3 in VR with the titans being extremely huge. Not all VR games need to be first person as Astrobot, Theseus, and Bound should show you

Respectively:
- Bound has a static camera that snaps to different points of view (incidentally, this makes it a chore to play in VR).
- Astrobot was built from the ground up for VR.
- Haven't played Theseus but it's reportedly pretty bad (also built from the ground up for VR).

There's no magic formula for turning a 3rd person game into a VR game, which is why Astrobot is exceptional and we're not seeing any 3rd person AAA -> VR conversions like we're seeing with 1st person games.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Respectively:
- Bound has a static camera that snaps to different points of view (incidentally, this makes it a chore to play in VR).
- Astrobot was built from the ground up for VR.
- Haven't played Theseus but it's reportedly pretty bad (also built from the ground up for VR).

There's no magic formula for turning a 3rd person game into a VR game, which is why Astrobot is exceptional and we're not seeing any 3rd person AAA -> VR conversions like we're seeing with 1st person games.
-They Patched in a camera that follows the character almost like a traditional 3rd person game and the original set up would be fine for those sensitive to motion sickness
-A few racers have a 3rd person camera and it works great, some not built ground up for VR (Wipeout, Driveclub, Dirt)
-PCVR emulated games with 3rd person cameras work fine and VR works as a glorified camera
-Theseus is OK, its not the camera that kills it but moreso the extremely basic gameplay
-Hellblade shows that even games like God of War 4 would work in VR.

3rd person games seemed iffy at the start of VR and considering games like that you have more movement I can see why devs were iffy at the beginning of VR with motion sickness but at this point we have a few examples that it could be done, even compensating for motion sickness.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
So with the success of the WipEout Omega Collection in putting eyes on PSVR, when can we expect a MotorStorm Collection with VR support? 👀

Oct 28, 2017
Astro Bot
Resident Evil 7
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Moss
Statik
PSVR Worlds
No Man's Sky
Batman Arkham VR
Blood and Truth
Doom VFR
Superhot VR
Tetris Effect
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

These are the VR games I've played. Recommend my next game please.

For context of my likes, I'll give a rundown of my opinion of each game I played.

Astro Bot is a gift from god a pure revelation I can't think of the last time a game gave me pure joy the way this game did.

Resident Evil 7 is amazing with or without VR. I already knew the game inside out before I played it in VR so some impact was lost for me, and its issues in VR stood out more such as the constant jarring black screen transitions and the immersion break of floating hands. But the game does offer something different in VR and is super atmospheric. It's scary as fuck in VR even when I knew what was coming. I had to literally take my headset off during the Mia chainsaw fight that shit rocked me. It's really good.

Star Trek Bridge Crew is absolutely amazing it's just a shame it's so limited. Essentially a demo of what a full VR Star Trek game could be, but sadly we'll probably never get a full realisation of this.

Moss is one of my favourite VR games. I really like third person VR. I like the feeling of being a presence overlooking and interacting with the world. Tearaway was an amazing experience on Vita and that concept of the player being an actual presence works so well in VR. I think Moss has really good puzzle designs and your interaction with the main character and the world is really cool. It's a shame it ends so quickly. Feels unfinished. Left me wanting more.

Statik was ok. I found it quite confusing I should probably give the game another go at some point.

PSVR Worlds is a bunch of tech demos. Some of them were quite cool. I liked the underwater shark demo and the London Heist was cool. I dropped this game pretty quickly it's fine but it's just a bunch of demos basically.

No Mans Sky I just hate. I don't like crafting in games in general and this game is all about that it's boring as hell. And as for VR, it's not a looker on foot or particularly immersive. And I found the controls to be horrible on the Move controllers I don't understand how people can play games like that. With the dualshock it controls fine, but I still hate the game. There is one part of the game I liked though. When I first flew my ship. Good fucking lord that felt cool in VR. Like goddamn. I want a full space flight game in VR.

Batman Arkham VR I liked. Was fun throughout. It's good. But it's just a tech demo I got through it quickly have no desire to return to it.

Blood and Truth. Oh now this is a cool game. Some aspects of the controls took some getting used to but the more I played the game just clicked and made me feel like a total badass. Really hope we get a sequel to this. I want more shooters like this. Oh and Time Crisis needs a comeback in VR.

Doom VFR sucks. I absolutely hated it, and I love the Doom reboot. It just felt so awkward to play this is one of my least favourite VR games.

Superhot VR is AMAZING. God what a joy this was to play I was doing matrix shit it was so cool. One of my favourites for sure.

Tetris Effect is Tetris. I like it. I don't really feel like VR adds that much to it to be honest. It would be fine without VR. Eh.

Until Dawn Rush of Blood is decent. I never finished it. It's a fun enough on rails shooter but gets quite tricky and I played it with the dualshock. Might be an idea to revisit it using Moves.

So yeah, recommend my next game please!

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I would suggest Wipeout or Skyrim next. Playing Skyrim with Move controllers feels awkward for the first hour or so, but is worth the learning curve.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Second vote for Wipeout, it's my favourite VR game after Astro Bot. Huge amount of content, feels made for the system and it looks absolutely incredible. Probably the most technically impressive PSVR game.

You probably have pretty good VR legs at this point so turn off all the comfort settings but keep the camera locked to the track.

I also highly recommend Thumper, very immersive, eerie rhythm game that you can easily become completely lost in.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everybody's golf just for the gameplay part. I fell in love with golf after that.
The Persistence( very good horror game overall)
Dirt Rally with the VR add on(with a wheel is just incredible)
Headmaster(humor, challenging, addictive, precise).

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Positive hands on of the PSVR exclusive Paper Beast.

Hands-on: 'Paper Beast' Delivers a Visually Stunning Journey Through Uncut Novelty
I didn't know what to make of Paper Beasts when I heard about back at its reveal in April. Billed as an exploration game inspired by big data, or the unfathomably large data sets that can reveal unseen trends, the game promises to toss you head first into an abstract living world that has...
www.roadtovr.com

German site VR Nerds is also very impressed.

Paper Beast: PSVR-Highlight der gamescom 2019 - VR∙Nerds
Unsere Zeit auf der gamescom 2019 ist bereits vorüber und wir werden euch in den kommenden Tagen über unsere Eindrücke zu den neusten VR-Spielen
www.vrnerds.de

Looks like something special from the Another World creator Eric Chahi :)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
When I'm using Moves it seems basically every game makes me switch my hands from right to left, is there a way I can make it auto detect so I dont have to keep switching the controllers around? Especially annoying if I'm playing stuff like beat saber where I need the wrist straps tightened

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
When I'm using Moves it seems basically every game makes me switch my hands from right to left, is there a way I can make it auto detect so I dont have to keep switching the controllers around? Especially annoying if I'm playing stuff like beat saber where I need the wrist straps tightened
The first move you connect should be the right hand one.
works for me in every game but star trek where it's seemingly random.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The first move you connect should be the right hand one.
works for me in every game but star trek where it's seemingly random.
Yeah I feel like it switches basically every game from the opposite of whatever I'm using. Really annoying.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bought some games in the recent sale (big surprise)

Super quick impressions

Transference is fucking stunning. Amazing concept, sound design, visuals etc. It might be a little too spooky for me but I'm determined to finish it just because it is so so cool.

The Persistence is really great. It can get annoying trying to pick stuff up on the ground right in front of you with how much you have to tilt your head and sometimes it's easy to get lost in the samey, dark spaceship rooms bc of the procedural generation but I still love the amount of variety in gadgets/weapons/upgrades etc.

Sprint Vector was neat but I definitely should have done the advanced tutorials too. I got creamed in the first campaign race. Also no smooth turning always sucks.

Red Matter looks pretty good but I'm kinda dissapointed the player is an agent for the fake US instead of the fake Russians. Also couldn't figure out how to use the thrusters but maybe that's because I changed the movement controls around and was too lazy to look it up.

A Fisherman's Tale seems really cozy like Moss but playing it sitting down like I wanted to means the precise tracking needed with the world within a world is just completely garbage. Could be improved with a higher camera placement thanks to a stand and facing downwards or maybe it's just the game too. Also even with the hints system off the speaking is just constant and repetitive and is quite frankly really annoying. Also no smooth locomotion or smooth turning plus the telescopic hands and small room size means navigating around and picking things up can be frustrating.

Blasters of the Universe is a blast (heh), the weapon customization is really cool and blocking bullets with the shield is really fun. Reminds me of Superhot VR a little with the dodging and the tracking is surprisingly great even when crouching. However even on casual difficulty it's hard as hell to beat the first boss and I feel like most of my guns don't have enough oomph to them but maybe that'll change when I unlock more parts.

As someone who's been a cashier at two different grocery stores, Shooty Fruity's deadpan announcer is hilarious to me. I also like how frantic everything is and how you can easily change the desk height to sitting while playing is more than manageable. However even with laser sights I'm having issues hitting the bouncing fruit. I guess I just suck.

Also bought Cold Iron and Xing: The Land Beyond bc they're on good sales and I've heard great things.

MechaOctobot

Oct 27, 2017
For beat saber at least first on is the right hand blue saber. I went all out and made my beat saber setup foolproof for passing around
57004744_10161777608685525_5813027695839150080_n.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
You know, when I made my last post I had a specific game in mind I was hoping people would recommend so I'd have an excuse to just get it.

Nobody has posted it.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
It's definitely on my to-buy list, but I was already awash in unplayed games before the PSVR patch dropped for No Man's Sky...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gotta say Red Matter's weird slow smooth turning with a ton of acceleration is the first thing to make me sick in VR in a while. I also hate how slow your thruster pack and walking are meaning you basically have to use the teleport if you want to get around at a reasonable pace. Oh well.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
I am having an issue where sometimes sound will cut-off and then come back again, in intervals of about 30 seconds.
Restarting the PS4 usually resolves the problem, but does anybody knows what is causing it?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I am having an issue where sometimes sound will cut-off and then come back again, in intervals of about 30 seconds.
Restarting the PS4 usually resolves the problem, but does anybody knows what is causing it?
I solved sound or video cutting off by disabling HDCP in the system settings, it's a common problem with gen 1 headsets.
Some apps cannot work without HDCP (netflix and stuff).

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
You know, when I made my last post I had a specific game in mind I was hoping people would recommend so I'd have an excuse to just get it.

Nobody has posted it.

Polybius???

oh, not :/

but seriously, try Polybius if you care even a little bit about arcade games. it's my favorite game on PSVR (and trust me i love RE7 and Astro Bot a ton), and one of my faves in the last 30 years i've been gaming. it's that good.

it is gaming crack. everything about it hypnotizes me, the speed, tight gameplay, fantastic music, the visuals (looks nuts in VR, trust me). no other game has grabbed me so firmly in its grip in years, i played it obsessively for several months.

10/10 game for me, the only thing that sucks are some later levels that are almost impossible to nail perfectly or even close.. i just dont get them lol, i dont think anyone does. it's actually not a super hard game, it forgives a lot, just has a couple frustrating spikes in difficulty later on. oh and one of the hardest trophies was glitched and prevented me from platinuming it, that left a sour taste in my mouth.. still pisses me off a year later :/

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
one of the hardest trophies was glitched and prevented me from platinuming it, that left a sour taste in my mouth.. still pisses me off a year later :/
As far as i know the only glitched trophy was the 5 levels without losing a shield (not really the hardest one) and it was patched.
I know, i have the platinum now :3
Time for you to fire the game again and achieve ultimate transcendence beast of universal love and light.

Last edited:

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Until Down would be a perfect AAA experience in VR, with mostly fixed point camera with a little pan, no rotation.
Can't believe Sony didn't do a sequel to VR (or even DLC for the original)

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Well, Rush Of Blood is a "spin-off" of Until Dawn, to use the developer's term, and The Inpatient is a prequel. And Supermassive, who made all three of those (Sony's just the publisher), also made Tumble VR and Bravo Team. So they've already done more PSVR games than almost anyone else, with highly variable results.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
As far as i know the only glitched trophy was the 5 levels without losing a shield (not really the hardest one) and it was patched.
I know, i have the platinum now :3
Time for you to fire the game again and achieve ultimate transcendence beast of universal love and light.

yeah that's the one.. it took me a LOT of tries and i was furious when it didnt unlock. i dont know if i have it in me to try again :/ for me it was definitely the hardest, it was so easy to make one little mistake during 5 levels.

i actually e-mailed the creator Jeff Minter about it, i was so mad lol. maybe he took me seriously! hah.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
yeah that's the one.. it took me a LOT of tries and i was furious when it didnt unlock. i dont know if i have it in me to try again :/ for me it was definitely the hardest, it was so easy to make one little mistake during 5 levels.
I saw the game updated himself and got it in a few tries, the 5 first levels are not that hard.
It was good going back into polybius.
do it in YOLO mode.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
I saw the game updated himself and got it in a few tries, the 5 first levels are not that hard.
It was good going back into polybius.
do it in YOLO mode.

yeh i'll try at some point. i wonder if i still have the global high scores in YOLO and Pure modes.. *not so stealth brag*. prolly not even in the top 10 anymore, im scared to look lol. i assume only like 500 people played it back then, thats why it was so easy.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Alrighty I figured I'd wait a while and see if I got some guesses. Oh well. Here you go. Please tell me if you've played it.

Ghost Giant
The first game that came to my mind, as you said you liked Moss :) Would also recommend Xing: A land beyond.

And regarding Wipeout, I had asked this earlier and asking again as none of the suggestions worked. I had tried Wipeout omega demo and absolutely loved it. So I bought the full version and as soon as the game starts the screen goes completely blank...I can hear the soundtrack though. Game works fine in non-VR mode. I have -
1. Deleted the game and reinstalled it(multiple times)
2. Turned off super scaling mode.
3. Turned off HDR
...nothing worked :( Anyone else faced this issue or any other suggestions?

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The first game that came to my mind, as you said you liked Moss :) Would also recommend Xing: A land beyond.

And regarding Wipeout, I had asked this earlier and asking again as none of the suggestions worked. I had tried Wipeout omega demo and absolutely loved it. So I bought the full version and as soon as the game starts the screen goes completely blank...I can hear the soundtrack though. Game works fine in non-VR mode. I have -
3. Turned off HDR
Is the game installed on the PS4s internal hard drive or an external one? Try swapping. Also, try changing all the HDMI connectors involved in the setup. Sometimes they can be troublesome.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017

3. Turned off HDR
Poop - I had the exact same problem, but turning off supersampling fixed it (I believe they've since issued a patch that fixes that). Apparently you already tried that, though.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Is the game installed on the PS4s internal hard drive or an external one? Try swapping. Also, try changing all the HDMI connectors involved in the setup. Sometimes they can be troublesome.
Digital purchase, installed on internal HD. This issue happens only with Wipeout so most probably HDMI connectors are fine, but will still try changing them, if that helps.

Poop - I had the exact same problem, but turning off supersampling fixed it (I believe they've since issued a patch that fixes that). Apparently you already tried that, though.
Yea, tried that..dint work :(

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

3. Turned off HDR

yeah i think the original issue atleast was either Boost Mode or Supersampling Mode that had to be turned off.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

3. Turned off HDR
Turn off HDCP, you have to turn it on again to watch YouTube, blurays etc.

Simply restarting the game also helped me with this error. I get it regularly in a lot of games. I start them, play for a few minutes then the screen and sound begin to flicker until it turns completely black. I then just press I think it's "PlayStation button, Triangle, up, cross" to close the game. I am then back in the dashboard with picture and sound restored. I start the game again and it runs for hours.