• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Thanks! What games would you say are severe? I'm wanting to get back into PSVR for ones that I've missed since I sold it like Astrobot, Creed, Beat Saber, etc. Also want ot try No Man's Sky but likely not for long.
Arizona Sunshine was the one I remember everyone discussing. The draw distance was horrific on base PS4. The games you mentioned all look great on PS4 standard, except maybe NMS which I haven't played.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Arizona Sunshine was the one I remember everyone discussing. The draw distance was horrific on base PS4. The games you mentioned all look great on PS4 standard, except maybe NMS which I haven't played.

Ah, great! I'll see if I can get a new one or simply buy it back from my Brother who I sold it to. Though the latter option is kinda risky as I don't exactly know what condition it'll be in.

In the meantime I think I'll get some of the newer games now tbey're on sale. Thinking of getting:
- Borderlands 2
- Astro Bot
- Tetris Effect
- Blood & Truth
- Deracine
- Creed
Any other newer full-priced or sale games you'd recommend? I already own practically all of the major PSVR games released before mid-2018 (with a few exceptions) so don't need to buy those thankfully.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ah, great! I'll see if I can get a new one or simply buy it back from my Brother who I sold it to. Though the latter option is kinda risky as I don't exactly know what condition it'll be in.

In the meantime I think I'll get some of the newer games now tbey're on sale. Thinking of getting:
- Borderlands 2
- Astro Bot
- Tetris Effect
- Blood & Truth
- Deracine
- Creed
Any other newer full-priced or sale games you'd recommend? I already own practically all of the major PSVR games released before mid-2018 (with a few exceptions) so don't need to buy those thankfully.
Tetris is the most recent VR game I own, so I'll let someone else answer that. Tetris is great though!

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Played some Blood & Truth yesterday after a long while of not using my PSVR.
It strained my eyes a bit, and the low resolution (base PS4) surely didn't help.
But the game itself was a blast from the 1 hour I played.
Tracking worked quite well considering the bright room I was in, and doing stuff like aiming down the sights was really cool to find out.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Has Beat Saber ever gone on sale? I'm ready to get it at full price , but I feel like games go on sale the day after I buy them.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Has Beat Saber ever gone on sale? I'm ready to get it at full price , but I feel like games go on sale the day after I buy them.
Not even once according to PSprices.com which tracks stuff like that.

I'm no expert and I packed away my PSVR during the summer so it's time to catch up for me too but some of the relatively "big" and well liked ones you didn't mention include: Everybody's Golf VR, Five Nights At Freddy's VR, Ghost Giant and Trover Saves the Universe.

A couple of wildcards that weren't well received but might be worth checking out are Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot and Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher. The former was panned for rehashing a lot from one of the Wolfenstein games and being sub-2 hour long but it seems like a fun game with outstanding production values for the medium for the duration of those hours. The latter is a bit of an Uncharted-like adventure game that only had poor VR control schemes available at launch but it has supposedly been fixed.

Again, this is not first hand information since I packed away my PSVR for the summer due to no AC in my gaming room but I see it more as a personal play list of what I plan to play myself when I bring it out again in the next few week. Games that look interesting to me so maybe they will to you too.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Thanks for all the tips, Clive!

I went and bought a headset and the Moves today. Got them all for a total of around £230 as I bought the headset used (but boxed, and the person had clearly not used it that much if iat all). Now I need to wait for all the downloads to happen because I was an idiot and forgot to set everything up yesterday :P

I bought:
- Borderlands 2
- Astro Bot
- Tetris Effect
- Blood & Truth
- Robinson: The Journey
- Creed
- CoolPaintrVR
- Carnival Games VR
- Pinball FX2 VR (+ TWD and Universal DLCs)
- Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot
- Theseus
- Discovery

As well as a few experiences:
- Apollo 11 VR
- The Grand Museum
- Kingdom Hearts

Now I need to decide whether to get Beat Saber at full price or not; would you say the content is enough in the PSVR version (i.e. having it without custom tracks) to justify it? FNaF is definitely off the table (I hate VR jump scares with a passion) but I might pick up Everybody's Golf (though I've heard it's low on content for a golf game) and maybe Trover and Ghost Giant though them being full-price means I can wait.

But, yeah, looking forward to playing some of these!

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Thanks! What games would you say are severe? I'm wanting to get back into PSVR for ones that I've missed since I sold it like Astrobot, Creed, Beat Saber, etc. Also want ot try No Man's Sky but likely not for long.
Just to add, NMS does not have a Pro patch so there is no difference for now. They have not announced a Pro patch but I expect it will come.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just to add, NMS does not have a Pro patch so there is no difference for now. They have not announced a Pro patch but I expect it will come.

I don't have a Pro so it doesn't make any different to me either way. Did just try it out and, whilst very blurry, playing the game in VR was a trip.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Any ideas if Sony will have an anniversary sale like last year? I've been waiting for this month to see if they would have good deals on some new stuff.

On another note, I have the 1.0 model and might buy a used 2.0 model this weekend just to have that. It's a good deal for sub 150, comes with 2 wands and the aim control and 2 games.

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any ideas if Sony will have an anniversary sale like last year? I've been waiting for this month to see if they would have good deals on some new stuff.

On another note, I have the 1.0 model and might buy a used 2.0 model this weekend just to have that. It's a good deal for sub 150, comes with 2 wands and the aim control and 2 games.
Sale is up in NA. Not sure about elsewhere tho.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Thanks for all the tips, Clive!

I went and bought a headset and the Moves today. Got them all for a total of around £230 as I bought the headset used (but boxed, and the person had clearly not used it that much if iat all). Now I need to wait for all the downloads to happen because I was an idiot and forgot to set everything up yesterday :P

Now I need to decide whether to get Beat Saber at full price or not; would you say the content is enough in the PSVR version (i.e. having it without custom tracks) to justify it? FNaF is definitely off the table (I hate VR jump scares with a passion) but I might pick up Everybody's Golf (though I've heard it's low on content for a golf game) and maybe Trover and Ghost Giant though them being full-price means I can wait.

But, yeah, looking forward to playing some of these!

Beat Saber is well worth full price. Don't forget The Last Guardian VR demo, it's short but really good.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I don't know of many, but I've heard Xing and Tetris Effect don't look as good on original PS4. Eagle flight looks amazing & is on sale.

That's all I know off the top of my head, been a while.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know of many, but I've heard Xing and Tetris Effect don't look as good on original PS4. Eagle flight looks amazing & is on sale.

That's all I know off the top of my head, been a while.

Arizona Sunshine was the original example of a game not looking close to as good on base hardware.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I put my headset on for the first in a loooooooooooooong fucking time and it's more uncomfortable that I remembered.

Well, not so much uncomfortable, but it just feels weird.

Anyways last game I remember buying was Moss, so what is good that has come out since? How is Trover?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Fuck Trover 😂 Feels like a first-attempt vr project, which is weird since it's not the studio's first vr project at all, and it's too out there and drawn out and overstays its schtick way too much. I love R&M but Trover is just too much. And the gameplay is absolutely nothing to write home about, it's not much more than a semi-polished prototype.

Recently bought Moss and man what a treat, so cozy :) But my head hurts more than usual when playing it. Maybe it's just because I haven't played vr in a long time? Because the game itself seems stable.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways last game I remember buying was Moss, so what is good that has come out since?
Coincidentally we talked about precisely that in post #852 and #857 on this page. I will redact the mention of Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot though. Tried it today and it wasn't even good for the 2 hours it lasted. Not the worst thing I have played but nothing special at all. Disappointing from a big publisher like Bethesda and a massive step down from Doom VFR which at least was a quality experience.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Talking about the PSVR Anniversary Sale... Is Thesius worth it at $5?

I've still got to finish Blood & Truth. I think I'm near the end, but I've gotten enveloped in some other games and haven't gone back yet.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So since it's on sale again I decided to finally buy one. Picked up the blood and truth bundle with the moves. Picked up the aim bundle as well. I need to get a stand thinking about the collective minds one but I just looked at some reviews on Amazon saying it fries controllers hmmm. Anyone here own that stand?

Since I'm sure this kind of questions get asked all the time is there a general FAQ or post I should look at?I know the OP covers a few things but what about cleaning maintenance? Any particular products that work well for cleaning?

I've been buying games for a little while so I've got a nice collection of around 25 games now ready to go. Super excited.

Last edited:

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Trover 😂 Feels like a first-attempt vr project, which is weird since it's not the studio's first vr project at all, and it's too out there and drawn out and overstays its schtick way too much. I love R&M but Trover is just too much. And the gameplay is absolutely nothing to write home about, it's not much more than a semi-polished prototype.

Recently bought Moss and man what a treat, so cozy :) But my head hurts more than usual when playing it. Maybe it's just because I haven't played vr in a long time? Because the game itself seems stable.
Swerve the Rick and Morty VR game then....

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Swerve the Rick and Morty VR game then....
Not sure what you mean by this :/ sorry. I have it, it's one of the worst vr games I own. Not sure which one is the worst of the two. Trover is a more complete package but that's also why I was more disappointed by it. I can almost understand the wonkiness of R&M on the other hand. Neither are particularly charming tbh.

The best thing about Trover is the far above average image quality, it's like one of the best games in that regard on psvr. Beyond that, both games needed a lot more gameplay to be worth the price. The humor can only take it so far.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean by this :/ sorry. I have it, it's one of the worst vr games I own. Not sure which one is the worst of the two. Trover is a more complete package but that's also why I was more disappointed by it. I can almost understand the wonkiness of R&M on the other hand. Neither are particularly charming tbh.

The best thing about Trover is the far above average image quality, it's like one of the best games in that regard on psvr. Beyond that, both games needed a lot more gameplay to be worth the price. The humor can only take it so far.
Swerve = avoid that game, looks like I'm too late tho 😂

I got burned on that game too... The cartoon is hilarious but the game was just annoying.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, sorry, but I don't follow PSVR stuff as closely as I do other things, so I have a dumb question. Theres a recently released Trover/FNAF bundle, is the hardware included with that any better than then the Moss/Astro Boy bundle? Thanks.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, sorry, but I don't follow PSVR stuff as closely as I do other things, so I have a dumb question. Theres a recently released Trover/FNAF bundle, is the hardware included with that any better than then the Moss/Astro Boy bundle? Thanks.
Both feature the latest V2 version of the headset so they are the same. That's the best version available.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Great! If I were to buy a used set, is there any clear differences I can look for to make sure I'm buying V2? Sorry for all the questions!
The cable on a V1 set has a volume control with a headphone jack, like this:
psvr-review4.jpg

On the V2, those controls are on the headset itself.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Great! If I were to buy a used set, is there any clear differences I can look for to make sure I'm buying V2? Sorry for all the questions!

The V1 has sort of "curved inward domes" on the headband, around the sides of the head:
playstation-vr-version-one.jpeg

The V2 has triangular holes instead, because that's where you store the earbuds when you're not using them:

playstation-vr-version-two.jpeg

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Quick question. Anybody knows if I can leave processing box plugged in PS4 (via USB) without HDMI connection on both sides? Since I don't have much space in TV cabinet, I want to just plug in PSVR headset once I'm going to use it. Same goes for HDMI connection to PS4 as I'm still using PSVR1 headset without HDR passtrough.

Thanks.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Quick question. Anybody knows if I can leave processing box plugged in PS4 (via USB) without HDMI connection on both sides? Since I don't have much space in TV cabinet, I want to just plug in PSVR headset once I'm going to use it. Same goes for HDMI connection to PS4 as I'm still using PSVR1 headset without HDR passtrough.

Thanks.
I know some people use HDMI switches so they can keep PSVR1 and HDR cables connected at the same time. Presumably those people don't unplug the USB and it still all works. So I think you should be fine.

If you mean leaving everything connected except the headset to the box, that definitely works.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks.

Then you'll also need to take the processor box's power plug off the wall...at least when you make the swap. Otherwise I'm pretty sure problems start to arise.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just tried Resi 7 in VR again and... nope. Nope. Not touching that shit. No siree.

I'm not generally that bad with horror but as soon as there's something even a little bit scary in VR I just get the fuck out lol

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried Resi 7 in VR again and... nope. Nope. Not touching that shit. No siree.

I'm not generally that bad with horror but as soon as there's something even a little bit scary in VR I just get the fuck out lol

I felt the same initially, but powering through it was one of my most rewarding gaming experiences ever. Don't write it off just yet!

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017

Keep at it. Those first few hours took me months to get through (kept noping out) but it does ease up as you get more used to it and attain better gear.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I felt the same initially, but powering through it was one of my most rewarding gaming experiences ever. Don't write it off just yet!
Keep at it. Those first few hours took my months to get through (kept noping) but it does ease up as you get more user to it and attain better gear.

I have played the Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLCs in VR and in the main game I've got past those beginning sections so I'm not completely new, but I guess right now I don't particularly want to deal with it lol. That's despite knowing what's going to happen for the most part as I initially played the game on PC.

Are there any horror games in VR that 100% don't have jump scares? I've got Here They Lie and Rush of Blood and have only tried out the latter (was fun but way too jump-scare heavy for me).

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
In Job Simulator, getting the 3 items from the safe in the cashier job is an awful experience. I can't even pick up one. :(

The way my space is set up makes it either impossible or way too hard to reach, and I don't have this issue in other games. I moved the camera to a totally different place and eventually managed to get it.

It's really inaccessible to require reaching in the way that this needs.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Thanks.
It's probably fine, I leave my headset disconnected but the USB and the Box>PS4 and Box>TV hdmi cables connected. The box only ever works when you turn the headset on so any configuration that doesnt include a headset connected (or just powered off) shouldn't impact the PS4.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any horror games in VR that 100% don't have jump scares? I've got Here They Lie and Rush of Blood and have only tried out the latter (was fun but way too jump-scare heavy for me).

The persistance is pretty scary, can have jump-scare because how well made the game is, but there are not script jump scare. So it could fit what you are searching.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I bought Affected: The Manor tonight, I hope it's decent, the price is ridiculuously cheap so I should be fine. I have really fond memories of the original versions on the rift.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yo Killing Floor: Inclusion is really good. It's maybe one of the best shooters I've played in VR (not that I've played many).

The VR controls are a bit finnicky at first but once you've got the hang of it they're much better than a lot of control solutions (though having to drop stuff to pick up ammo/health is a pain). Throwing knives feel amazing and the guns do as well, I'm so glad they translated the slow-motion effect from the flat games.

Just in the last level I played I managed to kill the end boss by picking up a grenade, dropping it at my feet, and having it explode in slow motion as I ran looked backwards. One of the best moments I've had in VR yet.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got Blood & Truth arriving tomorrow from my rental folk. Wanted to play it forever (well, since it came out).