ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
yeah i totally forgot they made headset exclusive SKU. in retrospect really weird they expected so many people still had their Moves lying around (which, i guess they did? but i'm not "people" so...)

To be fair, a lot of the best PSVR experiences were happily available without Move controllers. Astrobot, RE7, Ace Combat, Moss, Tetris Effect, Wipeout Omega, Rez, GT Sport etc were all DualShock games. No Move controllers needed.

That SKU made a ton of sense in a world where (a) loads of people already owned Moves and the camera and (b) there was a load of great content that didn't need the Move controllers.

Oct 30, 2017
PSVR 1 with the controllers included was $499, I feel is a relevant point when talking about the two's prices. I'm not saying you're wrong, the intro price definitely was cheaper than the psvr 2 even with inflation, but the like-for-like bundles do tip a bit in psvr 2's favor in that way

Yes the bundle with the controllers was $499 at launch. The $399 package just included the headset without the camera or the move controllers. So it's kind of mixed info, where yeah the headset was cheaper with inflation but the bundle wasn't

Yeah, that base $399.99 VR headset was a paper weight if you didn't have a PS camera; so, in the end I had to spend more than $399.99 to get it functional anyway. I ended up just opting for the complete set for $499.99 back then.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
To be fair, a lot of the best PSVR experiences were happily available without Move controllers. Astrobot, RE7, Ace Combat, Moss, Tetris Effect, Wipeout Omega etc were all DualShock games. No Move controllers needed.

That SKU made a ton of sense in a world where (a) loads of people already owned Moves and the camera and (b) there was a load of great content that didn't need the Move controllers.

Yeah, that's fair. I had some fun experiences with my headset before I bought the moves (though I did have to buy the camera, so that was another $70 on top of the bundle) but looking back I realize I should have just purchased the Iron Man bundle or whatever was available at the time as I eventually ended up paying a bit more for the full experience. PSVR 2 doesn't really have that luxury since it basically requires the controllers so sticker shock feels more of a thing this time around.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, a lot of the best PSVR experiences were happily available without Move controllers. Astrobot, RE7, Ace Combat, Moss, Tetris Effect, Wipeout Omega, Rez, GT Sport etc were all DualShock games. No Move controllers needed.

Yeah. Now though they'll be able to design games knowing that everyone has VR controllers which is a huge boon .

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
i'll wait for more games to come out for it, thats an insane price, without even having half-life alyx confirmed yet

For the most part, VR continues to have a software issue. I know replies to me will drop random titles that are great, but it really needs Sony to back it with some sort of VR mode for their tentpole titles. What seems to be an on rails Horizon isn't it, either.

Yeah, this thing comes out in few months and orders go up in two weeks and the software story is still kind of vague. It feels like they really should have had a big media blowout for this and show off a bunch of huge upcoming games and then announce the release date and price, you know, treat it like a major hardware launch, and instead they just sort of…announced the release date and price. I know they had a blog post with 11 indie games, some of which were updates or re-releases of existing PSVR games. But that's not exactly a blockbuster lineup and even for that, the release timeframes were generally vague, with many of the games having either promises of the games simply releasing "in 2023" or with no release dates being given.

If I were to preorder this thing in two weeks and get it in February, what games would I have to play in February, in March, in April? It feels like we're close enough to launch where we should start to have a better idea of that, but we kind of don't.

The hardware looks fantastic and a big step up from PSVR1. I'm just worried about the software story. Is Sony going to really get behind this and push it as a major platform or is it going to sort of be an afterthought, getting a few spin-offs here and there? They've release great hardware before that struggled due to not getting buy-in from all of Sony's studios.

By aiming so high with the hardware, I do sort of worry that they've priced it out of being able to reach critical mass.

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Considering I paid almost the same launch price for the complete PSVR1 set up and it provided my favorite gaming experiences last gen (RE7 VR, WipeOut VR, etc.), I have no problem buying the new and improved PSVR2 on day one.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

yeah i may have played PSVR more with a traditional controller than without (notables being Tetris, Wipeout and RE7.. and Astrobot was a great showcase to house guests but i didn't get too into it)

i guess with a 2022 mindset i kind of forgot that. interesting to see how traditional controller support and VR moves forward, like if it's even a thing at all

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Seems pretty damn expensive for a headset tied to a console lol, but it definitely seems a hell of a lot better than the original PSVR.

Have they given pricing on the average PSVR2 game yet? The one saving grace of PSVR was that, unless it was a 'flat' game which happened to have VR support, so your RE7s etc., they were usually priced fairly cheaper than your average game. Is it gonna be the same here, or is it gonna be £480 for the console, £530 for the PSVR2, and then an extra £60-70 per game lol?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Switchback looks great.

For myself, the price is just more than I can justify (even knowing it's essentially "fair"). I don't want to be too harsh because I know the whole physical manufacturing pipeline and shipping sector is inflated right now (and the headset itself seems to be really well built), but with this price, there REALLY should have been an effort to do something along the lines of making ports of a handful of the best-rated first-party PSVR1 titles to PSVR2, and bundle them with the PSVR2 units to make the price appear "lower".

I fully understand that this is tricky in itself because that dev effort will result in something that can't reasonably be sold as a separate retail item because any new buyer would already have the software, but I can't think of a better way to bolster the platform and offset the launch without adding per-unit material cost.
Yeah, I think that's totally fair even with everything we're getting in the hardware in the end and the price being pretty understandable for what's included it's of course still a pricey piece of kit.

A bundle with a few of them would have been great but it's good to at least see some successful games offering those free upgrades (Pistol Whip and Zenith seem confirmed of the new announcements). Glad to see Pistol Whip getting one since I finally recently got that during one of the psn sales.

I just can't seem to justify the price given the lack of any real big games. The hardware is undoubtedly impressive, but I'm just going to end up waiting I guess.

A real missed opportunity not having something like Half-Life: Alyx to drive sales.
Pretty sure I remember reading that there have been some rumors they've been working on making a deal to get that game on, but it was never going to be a launch pack-in anyway so it could still happen. Hopefully at least maybe for the second wave of titles after launch demand.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Seems pretty damn expensive for a headset tied to a console lol, but it definitely seems a hell of a lot better than the original PSVR.

Have they given pricing on the average PSVR2 game yet? The one saving grace of PSVR was that, unless it was a 'flat' game which happened to have VR support, so your RE7s etc., they were usually priced fairly cheaper than your average game. Is it gonna be the same here, or is it gonna be £480 for the console, £530 for the PSVR2, and then an extra £60-70 per game lol?

I'd imagine Horizon and probably RE8 will be around full price the way Skyrim was when it released, but most of the other games will be similar to the psvr 1 games in that they'll be by indie developers and will hopefully be fairly cheap as those games tended to be.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd imagine Horizon and probably RE8 will be around full price the way Skyrim was when it released, but most of the other games will be similar to the psvr 1 games in that they'll be by indie developers and will hopefully be fairly cheap as those games tended to be.
Man I sure wish Skyrim would come to psvr2. Slim chance of that happening I guess

Oct 25, 2017

I assume RE8 is just the same game but playable in VR like RE7?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They actually take advantage of the controller thia time around and let you hold objects like real hands. Re7 is just a standard dualshock 4 control. Would be cool if they can port that over to psvr2 and make it the complete winter saga complete VR collection.

This thing ia too expensive unless it's also pc compatible.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
With a price like that they should have worked out backwards compatability.

A PS Plus VR Collection could lessen the sting. Paying $550 and having nothing / barely anything to play is rough.

Oct 25, 2017
They actually take advantage of the controller thia time around and let you hold objects like real hands. Re7 is just a standard dualshock 4 control. Would be cool if they can port that over to psvr2 and make it the complete winter saga complete VR collection.

This thing ia too expensive unless it's also pc compatible.

I was responding to someone saying it will be full price I imagine it's the same sku as regular RE8 that has the VR build included

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Even in CAD, I think it's a fair price for the tech. It's just that after my experiences with PSVR1 (which I did buy at launch) I don't see $800 dollars in value for me so I will wait to see what it comes down to in a few years (and what software is available).

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
lol, I don't recall all that many folks getting upset at the PSVR price. Were folks really that fooled by the hidden costs of the camera + move controllers back then? At least here all the costs are up front. and are more or less on par with the original PSVR for a complete bundle to be up and running day 1
It's more visible when Sony is charging a premium on their other products. Very few people that are baffled or somehow incensed by this are going to go back and think about those total PSVR1 costs, or that this is significantly better value for money than that. Even if this was $499 if would have been too much for many, and that's okay. High-fidelity VR is just pricey and I'm not sure cost-eating would end well either.

The only "real" alternative is for them to wait some more years for the tech to be cheaper, but they've already put several years into R&D and waited for the tech to mature before releasing a new iteration.

View: https://twitter.com/jasminezroberts/status/1587848258440699907

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

Yeah I would think so, so maybe it will be a free thing but I'm going to err on the side of not until we learn either way.

EDIT: Ah, just saw the other user's reply to you before. That's good news then, as that's what I'm most excited to play on the headset if I do decide to get it.

It's more visible when Sony is charging a premium on their other products. Very few people that are baffled or somehow incensed by this are going to go back and think about those total PSVR1 costs, or that this is significantly better value for money than that. Even if this was $499 if would have been too much for many, and that's okay. High-fidelity VR is just pricey and I'm not sure cost-eating would end well either.

The only "real" alternative is for them to wait some more years for the tech to be cheaper, but they've already put several years into R&D and waited for the tech to mature before releasing a new iteration.

View: https://twitter.com/jasminezroberts/status/1587848258440699907

It will be interesting to see if the initial price point ends up hurting sales at all, as this does feel like a "let's put out a good but pricey tech that will hopefully slow burn until we can get it more affordable." PSVR 1 was pretty similar that way, but seemed to follow the trend of the general tech world where it reduced in price faster than the console that played it. I bought a headset bundle for $199 two years after it released, so hopefully this won't take as long as the ps5 itself to come down to a more appealing price for the people beyond the VR faithful.

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
With the controllers included the price is expected. I am underwhelmed by the software blog, there just isn't a whole lot there. Was hoping to see another Astro Bot, Alex, maybe a AAA game or two with tacked on VR mode, some PSVR ports. This may all be on the way but it would have been nice to see more for the preorder announcement. Still I love VR and would be in if I had a PS5. Perhaps down the line at some point.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
I have some friends who like me have never gotten a direct invite regardless of interest and I have one or two buddies who have been invited to buy ps5 etc when it was invites multiple times. The system seems broken/fucked.
This is 100% me. I even got an invite to buy a ps5 recently but betas or anything I actually ask for I never receive emails. I get purchase emails and that's it. Been broken for years. Meanwhile people that didn't even register today received emails to get one.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
so as a reminder...

the Quest 2 starts at $400. Index is $1000 with everything you need to start. Quest Pro is $1500. There are a bunch of other VR headset that have released this year, or are going to release in the future, but I can't find an image like this so far.

psvr2-infographic-1641587564079.png

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

That was a pretty unrealistic expectation for anyone, especially since they can't really sell the headset without the controllers this time around.

I can absolutely understand why people would pass on it at this price, but this isn't a ps3 situation where it was a lot more expensive than a relatively similar (at least in terms of specs) competitor. This is about $50 more than I hoped for but it is fairly in-line for a mid-range headset.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
One line of thinking I've seen quite a few times is that this is fairly priced because of the components. And I think that this is both true and entirely irrelevant to its mainstream prospects. No one is going to look at a $550 peripheral in a store and think "well, I see it's priced fairly now that I've looked up its list of components and compared what it would've been in 2015 adjusting for inflation." Fair has nothing to do with it, either the price is attractive or it is not.

Which is not to say it'll be a failure, just that it'll be the same kind of success that the PSVR was. The modest success you'd expect from an add-on device that costs more than the most expensive console on the market.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm kind of shocked people were expecting it to be much lower than this. With the specs of the headset I was expecting this.

To me this is a no brainer buy day 1. Might pre-order a second for my gf if I can.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Gamers are dumb tbh. They have no idea how tech works and how much it costs.
A lot of people have been mentally trained the past several years by cheap smartphone VR and the cheap Facebook headset and it's impossible to directly translate "look the hardware is seriously good and has super modern features" via just a price tag.
What this needs to please me personally is either 1) a killer app (so, HL:A, or the original Astrobot) or 2) a game you can essentially enjoy endlessly (e.g. Tetris Effect, WipEout Omega, Beat Saber, etc.).
No Man's Sky is pretty good in this regard, but it's not on the same level. I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't announce those exact titles you mentioned, lol. Those all at least FEEL like they'd be doable to convert to the new format, but I'm no dev obviously. If they're in the works, they should be advertised.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people have been mentally trained the past several years by cheap smartphone VR and the cheap Facebook headset and it's impossible to directly translate "look the hardware is seriously good and has super modern features" via just a price tag.

No Man's Sky is pretty good in this regard, but it's not on the same level. I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't announce those exact titles you mentioned, lol. Those all at least FEEL like they'd be doable to convert to the new format, but I'm no dev obviously. If they're in the works, they should be advertised.

Hoping for a software blowout before pre-orders go live .