• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty crazy considering our predictions before the gen and how Sony first party games were performing sales wise.
Correct me if i am wrong but based on my researches there was only one Playstation Franchise that crossed the 10 mio mark during the PS1-PS3 Generation, which was Gran Turismo

PS1:
Gran Turismo -10.85 million
PS2:
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec -- 14.89 million
Gran Turismo 4 -- 11.76 million
PS3:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 11.94 million

and now one generation later we have already 5 10 Mio + sellers

6ad524-1589323077.png

Horizon Zero Dawn more than 10 mio copies sold (as of February 2019)
Uncharted 4 over 16 mio copies (October 2019)
The Last of Us over 20 mio copies on PS3/PS4 (October 2019)
God of War sold over 10 mio copies (May 2019)
Spider-Man over 13.2 mio copies (August 2019)

There is no doubt that The Last of Us Part 2 will also cross the 10 mio mark - but with Ghost of Tsushima, the next Days Gone (the first one did really great), and maybe some new Ip's Sony might even reach bigger heights in the next generation.

Are you surprised by these numbers? what do you expect for the future

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would guess digital storefronts and frequent sales/price cuts help. Still very impressive.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
So did TLOU on PS3 not achieve 10 million in sales?

I suppose the PS4 makes up a lot of those 20m then?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no doubt that The Last of Us Part 2 will also cross the 10 mio mark - but with Ghost of Tsushima, the next Days Gone (the first one did really great), and maybe some new Ip's Sony might even reach bigger heights in the next generation.
Yep :) More to come with TLOU2 for an example.

Feb 15, 2019
It's cool but it's definitely a bit saddening that the original 10 million seller is lacking in this list of Ps4 10 million sellers. I do wonder if they're gonna go back to the original ways of numbered sequels or stick with the sport route. ( I don't play racing sims so I don't actually know the difference between normal numbered entries and Sport though I think it was because Sport was online centric).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
And GT died lol

(yeah apparently it sold like 8m but you NEVER hear about that franchise anymore, when it was HUGE during the PS1 and PS2 eras)

Sony absolutely went off with their first party output this generation. Pretty amazing to see.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 to return to glory. Even though GT Sport is glorious in its own way.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
How well did Days Gone sale? I'm assuming somewhere around 5 million.

it was doing really well in the charts afaik and then there is
twitter.com

Benji-Sales on Twitter

“Days Gone was the best selling PS4 exclusive on PSN in 2019 and also made Top 10 best selling digital games of the year Sony won't do PR on the sales success of this game, but I'll keep pointing it out for them 😉 Happy for Bend and excited to see what they are working on next”

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is very impressive, and goes to show exclusives are still really important in the overall gaming landscape.

The major reason why i don't feel like i'll jump to PC anytime soon. No way i'm missing all these games for better framerate or graphics.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
They really found their footing this gen, all they need to do next gen is give some of these games sequels and they are set for years.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda nuts we never got a real GT this generation. What's up with that?!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think PlayStation has had cool first party games before, but they really reached a totally new level only on the PS4. Probably fair to say that they can be called true system sellers like Nintendo games by now, not sure which pre-PS4 first party games would get that label. There was always a lot of other exclusive third party stuff that in the mindshare almost merged with what Sony themselves were offering.

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Had no idea some of these sold this much. Nice to see God of war back on top. Very well deserved. Might be the GOTG. Spider-Man is also a surprise to me. Horizon is also a surprise. None of their previous games come close to this.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Im not a racing guy, but what did sony do to Gran Turismo this generation that it didnt hit 10 mil

But between this and the switchs impressive software sales its good too see so many great games from sony and Nintendo selling well.