• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

The company announced the acquisition of Spider-Man studio Insomniac Games in August, following a 20 year relationship with the studio.

And during Sony's second quarter earnings call on Wednesday, senior EVP and CFO Hiroki Totoki implied the company could look to further grow PlayStation Worldwide Studios, which currently consists of 14 development houses across the US, Europe and Japan, with further acquisitions.

At the investor relations day [in May this year], we mentioned that Sony's strength lies in our first-party content and IP," he said.

"With the aim of strengthening these, in August we announced the acquisition of Insomniac Games, the game developer for Marvel's Spider-Man, which sold 13.2 million units worldwide.

"Through this acquisition, Insomniac Games will become Sony Interactive Entertainment's 14th studio and will contribute to further enhancement of our first-party software development organisation.

"Going forward," Totoki added, "we will continue to pursue growth investment opportunities that will enhance our own content IP."

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't be in quotes 'is open to further studio acquisitions'
they didn't say that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i am not sure why "Is open to further acquisitions" is in quotes there, they didnt actually say it.
they did imply that they are looking at it, but didnt directly say it.

Anyway what is implied, is that if they will acquire a developer, it will be for IPs, so not an acquisition like insomniac's, which probably means no to kojima productions or bluepoint.

i guess remedy can fit that bill now that they have alan wake and control IPs.

Jun 23, 2019
I feel like they might need to if Microsoft continues snatching up studios left and right. Bluepoint Games seems ripe for the picking next.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
wtf this title is literally wrong? They didn't even say that?

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
"we will continue to pursue growth investment opportunities that will enhance our own content IP.""

It would be a story if they said the opposite

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what studios these days still seem to make nothing but playstation games?

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Asobo Studios - creators of A Plague Tale, Remedy, Bluepoint and Ready At Dawn.

All of them fit perfectly with the AAA Cinematic aesthetic and would be an excellent get.

Jun 23, 2019
Misleading thread title.
In this thread people don't know what paraphrase quotes are

This. Of course they didn't say it, but it's pretty much implied. Stop being pedantic people.

There is nothing there.

Level 5? I think Falcom is owned by Kadokawa as is From. I mean there are studios out there, just depends on if they want to be assimilated by the Borg.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly, there's not a lot of AAA independent studios left. I don't really see Sony going for anything but a studio with an established record of making AAA blockbusters. 4A Games could be a really interesting edition to Sony's library and could be a nice value pick-up for them. Established studio, track record of great visuals, and they could move onto a new franchise with a massive backing.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Buy Remedy, make Anal Wake 2
20170501_124230.0.jpg

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I said it in the WWS thread but Sony doesn't need Remedy at least for now since they already have the third person cinematic action games in spades

if you want the same area of experitse I'd say Ready at Dawn would be a better choice since at least for them they have a history in other things like platformers and VR

like a Insomniac lite

There's no reason for Sony to nab Falcom when Falcom is already a de facto Playstation-exclusive developer as it is. That, and Falcom isn't interested in being a AAA studio, which is what Sony is looking more for in an acquisition.
that isn't something Sony will always have

through out history we've seen developers who used to exclusively develop for PS or were third part, either jump ship and/or be bought out

the future isn't that stable were Sony sits and expects the best circumstances to stay the same
Thats the only developer i would actually like Sony to add to they 1st party. Falcom games could also improve much more visually if they had a bigger budget.

But i guess they will just keep aquiring western Studios. Probably BluePoint will be next.
I am fine with BluePoint

they are a good choice, tech wizards, useful in reviving old IPs and won't be forever available as much as Sony wants them to be

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Honestly, there's not a lot of AAA independent studios left. I don't really see Sony going for anything but a studio with an established record of making AAA blockbusters. 4A Games could be a really interesting edition to Sony's library and could be a nice value pick-up for them. Established studio, track record of great visuals, and they could move onto a new franchise with a massive backing.
Forgot about Metro.

kESfHCV.png