• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any guarantee they come back for 2020?

Why not just have their own show and do it themselves?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
This is like taking away my food for Christmas... At least this means I don't have to stay up at ungodly hours as much next year. On the bright side, that they're doing this means something is going on. That is exciting. Guess the fifth PlayStation's coming the year after then.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should just stop announcing stuff.
But I think that's the strategy. Announce stuff early for people to be exited about. People know that Sony will deliver

Yeah, aside from Last Guardian, which still ended up releasing anyway, announcing games too early hasn't backfired on Sony like it has Microsoft with their cancelled products.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand people saying this is arrogant Sony or losing their minds over this. They have several games coming next year that we've already seen, but clearly nothing NEW to show as they are gearing up for PS5. It would be a waste of time and resources.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't get the anti-e3 posts. No it's not good that E3 loses relevance. It's not good that probably the most important company skip E3. Most every industry has trade shows, most have one big event that is the showcase so that the mainstream media covers it. E3 generates more attention for video games than every other game related event combined, it's good for the industry.

Sony can skip a year if they have nothing new, but they should come back. A bunch of little events is not better than one big one that everyone covers.

I think this is a particular scenario of bad PR.. Look at XO whether you want it or not it was bad PR when compared to a PS Experience where you have panels about the games.. XO is just like a weekend celebration in your local town when compared to PS Experience.

Plus without a PSX event this year things are hyping up to a bigger one come 2019, would you rather have 2 events with filler content or a bombastic one December 2019?

Haha yeah, there are legit things to criticise but people always go over-the-top.

I think Shawn is doing just great, I always love him seeing dropping by the podcast once in a while to talk games and industry.

I didn't like the conference too but I don't believe it was his fault on that.

Jun 5, 2018
My prediction.

May: Playstation Experience (Playstation Meeting meets E3 level of press conference. Full Playstation 5 blow out). Playstation Experience will be held every year in May to get in front of all the news during E3 and not compete for mindshare. Sony will no longer attend E3.

June: E3. Every 3rd party publisher will announce their games for Playstation 5.

December: TGA. Playstation will use TGA to promote and announce new titles going forward.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Sony should have held an E3 conference and talked about a couple of first party and third party games extremely briefly, like less than 5 minutes combined, and then spent the last 35 minutes talking about Knack 3. Give the people what they want.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Let me rephrase; I don't believe for one second that Sony will go 12 months without a press conference in North America. No way.
Exactly.

And yeah it sucks they won't be at E3 next year, but some of the posts in here are wild.

They are on the brink of having another home console sell over 100 million, and yet The Age Of Sony Is Done.

Oct 25, 2017
And you're basing this one what, exactly?

Tell me, quickly, how relevant to PS4's success were the conferences preceding the one where Jack Tretton and gang laid the smack-down on Microsoft?

They just need one strong conference in the lead-up to PS5, and them skipping out on all these big stage-shows basically ensures the impact of their first one back will be huge.

I will tell you one big difference from my perspective as an indie dev. That same conference had an extended on-stage presentation from indie devs. I actually do think that was relevant to PS4s success. It was part of a complete story they were telling about their vision for Playstation.

They were able to have this because they had a team that was aggressively pursuing and supporting indies. Since then every single contact I had at Sony has left, their whole indie outreach has contracted, and they have gone from a central role supporting indie games to being a sideline player.

You don't just need one strong conference. Conferences are only as strong as the work you put in before them. They need a complete re-focus on their ecosystem. I honestly don't understand their vision for Playstation right now beyond their tentpole first-party games, which are excellent, but do not a platform make.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They kept announcing 2019/2020 titles very early to keep Xbox from gaining any ground "Dude don't buy a Xbox, Final Fantasy 7 Remake & Last of Us 2 are coming any day now!" The problem with this is nothing to announce for 2019 but it's a small price to pay, they are so far ahead of Xbox now it doesn't matter.
Well played strategy by Sony i say.

Oct 27, 2017
He's skipped several because of their poor planning and refusal to grow their lineup at all. No PSX this year or paris show which remember was supposed to replace gamescom for sony and now no E3 next year. Throw all that on top of last year's joke PSX and this year's E3 and it's clear he's doing a horrible job. The ps4 success started 5 years ago and it's been so big that nothing will slow it down at this point, but he's setting them up to fail next gen.

Lol Come on man, you don't actually believe that. This is them shutting this generation down and getting ready for the next one. The moment they give everyone a Costco sample of the PS5, all will be forgiven. They just realize they don't have anything else to really show specifically from Sony's first party since we've already seen it numerous times. I'd imagine next year when they have the PS5 unveiling, we'll see what they and 3rd parties have been working on.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
No Sony E3 press conference is a bit of a disappointment, but not having to be up at 3AM to watch it live is a big consolation prize.

Weren't they supposed to be doubling down on communication with their fans? Maybe they should have first announced something new and interesting on that front to lessen the disappointment for fans of their E3 shows?

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Wow. This thread might have the worst takes I've ever seen on this forum.

It seems pretty obvious that Sony is skipping because there are gearing up for a 2020 release of PS5. With the assumption that most of first party is working on next gen, it doesn't make sense to have another conference highlighting games that we already know are coming in 2019-2020.

All the E3 doom and gloom in here is ridiculous.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 has quickly become a showcase for third parties. Microsoft still drops announcements there, but Nintendo figured out their own way to deliver announcements and Sony will probably do the same for PS5. The biggest announcements over the past few years for PS4 and Switch came outside of E3.

Lol Come on man, you don't actually believe that. This is them shutting this generation down and getting ready for the next one. The moment they give everyone a Costco sample of the PS5, all will be forgiven. They just realize they don't have anything else to really show specifically from Sony's first party since we've already seen it numerous times. I'd imagine next year when they have the PS5 unveiling, we'll see what they and 3rd parties have been working on.

I don't see how their decision could be interpreted as anything other than this. They're resting on the laurels of what they've done and they're prepping for what should be a good launch for PS5, with stuff coming next year and probably early 2020. People can have a problem with it, but I do not. Third parties will still be dropping releases.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
One of the most occuring arguments in this thread is, that they supposedly shifted their focus to PS5. Good for you to be content with this, but a lot of PS4 owners would like to get more 1st party support and also get new 1st Party announcements for a console they actually already own. At the very least a hint, when to expect new 1st party PS4 announcements, would be appreciated. We know about some upcoming games, but if you happen to not be interested in some of these games, something new would be more than welcome. To let a good part of your PS4 userbase in the dark isn't an ideal situation, considering that early adoptors are a minority of your customers.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just take a step back for a moment, and just imagine if it was Microsoft that decided to skip E3. What do you honestly believe the reaction would be? Be honest about it.
In the context of this generation, I would expect ppl to think doom n gloom if MS did this.

That's another thing that makes this thread hilarious.

Context just doesn't seem to matter these days.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
One of the most occuring arguments in this thread is, that they supposedly shifted their focus to PS5. Good for you to be content with this, but a lot of PS4 owners would like to get more 1st party support and also get new 1st Party announcements for a console they actually already own. We know about some upcoming games, but if you happen to not be interested in some of these games, something new would be more than welcome. To let a good part of your PS4 userbase in the dark isn't an ideal situation, considering that early adaptors are a minority of your customers.
Tell me which console manufacturer has shown gameplay of a stronger lineup to close out this gen than:

Days Gone
Dreams
The Last of Us Part II
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
No "PlayStation Direct" either?

E3 is fucking DEAD.

EDIT: Nevermind, cooler head dropped the most obvious info of there not being many upcoming PS4 games to show, which makes their dropping out a lot of understanding.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yup I'm convinced now that he needs to go. Like I said in the other thread he seems to be a walking bad decision.

"I know what we can do to change things up for E3 guys. Instead of having third parties show their games off like usual lets jerk each other off while a guy plays the flute for 15 minutes on stage. Oh and we'll pay for a fancy setup just to show 1 game and then spend a half hour moving everyone."
He's skipped several because of their poor planning and refusal to grow their lineup at all. No PSX this year or paris show which remember was supposed to replace gamescom for sony and now no E3 next year. Throw all that on top of last year's joke PSX and this year's E3 and it's clear he's doing a horrible job. The ps4 success started 5 years ago and it's been so big that nothing will slow it down at this point, but he's setting them up to fail next gen.
lmao

If anything shows how out of whack some's perception of E3's importance is, it is takes like this.

I know you're often incapable of discussing things without hyperbole but FYI:

Moving everyone for half a hour = Actually less than 13 minutes during which they showed new stuff

Jerking each other off while a guy plays the flute for 15 minutes = Actually 2 minutes

So, your juvenile perception of time and need for the gaming equivalent of jiggling keys in front of a baby for 2 hours straight means Shawn Layden needs to be fired? Lost in all your bluster is the reality we actually live in where you fail to acknowledge that Sony has as many as 5 AAA exclusive titles that they've shown gameplay of to fill out the end of this generation. You know, games. Stuff that actually matters.

How so many here are more impressed with flash than actual substance is really laughable. Sony is continuing to sell extremely well, just had one of their best months ever, is going to have a huge holiday and feels like the only one of the big 3 poised to really finish this gen out strongly with first party games and your response to all that is Shawn Layden deserves to be fired because you value a trade convention presentation style over all else.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Censorship, cross-play stuff, fortnite account, Skipping gamescom, No PSX 2018, no E3 2019. Im sure there is plenty of examples in this thread. A few they have fixed, but took the internet and media making headlines to get them to change. At the end of the day, they changed them, so there is that.
Every company is arrogant if we use equally silly points like the ones you used.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
E3 has quickly become a showcase for third parties. Microsoft still drops announcements there, but Nintendo figured out their own way to deliver announcements and Sony will probably do the same for PS5. The biggest announcements over the past few years for PS4 and Switch came outside of E3.

Nintendo is still there, with its giant booth, Treehouse live, ecc.

It's possible they will have a bigger presence now that Sony won't be present.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
lmao

If anything shows how out of whack some's perception of E3's importance is, it is takes like this.

Moving everyone for half a hour = Actually less than 13 minutes during which they showed new stuff

Jerking each other off while a guy plays the flute for 15 minutes = Actually 2 minutes

So, your juvenile perception of time and need for the gaming equivalent of jiggling keys in front of a baby for 2 hours straight means Shawn Layden needs to be fired? Lost in all your bluster is the reality we actually live in where you fail to acknowledge that Sony has as many as 5 AAA exclusive titles that they've shown gameplay of to fill out the end of this generation. You know, games. Stuff that actually matters.

How so many here are more impressed with flash than actual substance is really laughable. Sony is continuing to sell extremely well, just had one of their best months ever, is going to have a huge holiday and feels like the only one of the big 3 poised to really finish this gen out strongly with first party games and your response to all that is Shawn Layden deserves to be fired because you value a trade convention presentation style over all else.
Slow clap?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Man you lost your shit on gaf on Nintendo when they flipped to scheduled directs, but you see it from a different perspective now, years later?

Reason I lost my shit was because they had completely bowed out, and because of Wii u in 2016 had like nothing to show but mostly zelda. They lucked out because they marketed the switch really well and because of all the zelda exposure it sold really well too.

It was just a combination of me being constantly disappointed with Nintendo at the time especially when it came to creating hype at E3. But as there has been since then PSX shows, paris games week I see now that doing your own show either it be a short Direct or something like PSX benefits a lot in the long run. Especially if your running on a big positive high. Which both Nintendo and Sony are doing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not really seeing how it's arrogant to admit you won't have enough to fill a show out at that particular time.

Arrogant would be turning up, walking out on stage, saying nothing, doing that floss dance then walking off and the show ends. Followed by a medley of Rick Astley.

This thread does show a lot of you lack self awareness though. You've all been having the same tit for tat arguments for years now.

Thank you.

Sabrina Rei

Oct 30, 2017
I'm disappointed that Dreams won't be getting a huge rollout a la their big four last year partially because the games they showed last year were all the same type of open-worldy third person action adventures. That seems to be their bread and butter and, for me, I'd like more diversity in what they hype.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 2012, a year before PS4's launch, Sony had the following games to show at E3 that were slated to be released in 2013..

- Beyond
- TLOU
- God of War Ascension

In 2019, a year before PS4's launch, Sony has nothing to show for 2020. Nothing. That is troubling.

Had they not shut down studios like Zipper, Incognito, Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Cambridge, they would have had at least four big AA and AAA games set for a 2020 release on the PS4.

I also dont understand why people think the PS5 will launch in March 2020 if Sony isnt willing to show up at E3 2019, a mere 9 months before launch. they revealed the PS4 in Feburary 2013, which was 9 months before the PS4's eventual launch. E3 2019 would have been perfect for a March 2020 release.

They are not at E3 2019 because they have no more PS4 games after their 2019 line up which btw is insane. But they are going to be an extremely poor year in 2020 which will rival Switch's 2018 and Wii U's 2016 as one of the worst years for a console. I guess they will try to salvage some of it by releasing the PS5 in November with Horizon 2 and Gran Turismo 7, plus the next Bluepoint remake, but i have no faith in PD and Kaz to release a next gen game in 3 year's time, and Bluepoint's next remake is for current gen consoles as well.

In 2021, it would have been three years since God of War and Spiderman launched which should be enough time for Insomaniac and Santa Monica to churn out a sequel on next gen consoles. But QD has all but ended their relationship with Sony so no Detroit 2 in 2021.

Sony is in for a rough few years after 2019.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Let's just take a step back for a moment, and just imagine if it was Microsoft that decided to skip E3. What do you honestly believe the reaction would be? Be honest about it.
If Microsoft had already shown their hand and we knew what type of first party support the console was getting over the next two years then I'd be reacting the exact same way.
In 2019, a year before PS4's launch, Sony has nothing to show for 2020. Nothing. That is troubling.
They've shown it already. How is this hard for some to understand?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

I value substance and they literally said the reason why they're not doing these conferences is because they have nothing to show. That's a massive failure in planning and one that didn't need to happen if they had bothered to expand their studios this generation.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed that Dreams won't be getting a huge rollout a la their big four last year partially because the games they showed last year were all the same type of open-worldy third person action adventures. That seems to be their bread and butter and, for me, I'd like more diversity in what they hype.
Yeah, it makes it seem like Dreams is being sent out to die.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I value substance and they literally said the reason why they're not doing these conferences is because they have nothing to show. That's a massive failure in planning and one that didn't need to happen if they had bothered to expand their studios this generation.
Right, because they've shown 5 AAA games that haven't released yet. There will be no dearth of content just because they are skipping one E3. You can't say with a straight face you value substance if you prefer rapid fire 3rd party trailers more than extended gameplay demos.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Or simply they hold their next cards for a "massive" reveal.
They do have games in production, and obviously at this stage not only on PS4. What is the point in diluting the message at E3 2019 when they can reveal these later along with the PS5?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
So what this tells me is that Sony has shown us all the major first and second party projects it has left for PS4 and doesn't want to reveal PS5 projects until its PS5 reveal. If they do what they did with the PS4, we'll likely see the PS5 reveal with the PS5 games set to release on it in February of 2020 with the actual release in Fall of 2020. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll do the reveal at E3 2019 with a release in early 2020.

I'm pretty mixed on this. I get that people want console exclusives at E3, but big-three press conferences are also great showcases for publishing partners. I know last year's Sony E3 presser disappointed some, but the reveals of games like Resident Evil 2 and Control more than made up for the lack of new console exclusive announcements for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if this decision plays a role in which of the big three a publisher will partner with for more immediate releases as the generation winds up. Obviously it won't be the deciding factor given how big Sony's lead in both market and mind share, but I'm not sure how this decision makes their third-party relationships better.

Also gonna take a guess this whole thing makes Death Stranding a cross-gen game, which we kinda figured anyway, but feels more apparent now.

I think they could build a show out of third-party stuff, but there's no way they could pin that stuff down well enough now when they'd have to be reserving the space. You buy the space now, thinking you're going to get a big blowout on FF7, the debut of the return of Call of Duty campaign from Activision, and maybe Splinter Cell from Ubi or something, and then all that evaporates by the time June rolls around. Square only has a trailer, Activision has decided to go multiplayer only again, and Splinter Cell is being pushed to next gen. Without some first-party reveal to anchor things, the whole thing is just way too fluid to work.

Also, I really doubt anyone is going to make comarketing decisions based on the lack of an E3 conference. They can have their own shoes for reveals, and the stage presence at E3 is maybe 1% of the benefit that comes with a comarketing deal.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Or simply they hold their next cards for a "massive" reveal.
They do have games in production, and obviously at this stage not only on PS4. What is the point in diluting the message at E3 2019 when they can reveal these later along with the PS5?
It shouldn't be hard to suss out what is going on but here we are 66 pages later and people are still finding it difficult to grasp.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
In 2012, a year before PS4's launch, Sony had the following games to show at E3 that were slated to be released in 2013..

- Beyond
- TLOU
- God of War Ascension

Had they not shut down studios like Zipper, Incognito, Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Cambridge, they would have had at least four big AA and AAA games set for a 2020 release on the PS4.

I also dont understand why people think the PS5 will launch in March 2020 if Sony isnt willing to show up at E3 2019, a mere 9 months before launch. they revealed the PS4 in Feburary 2013, which was 9 months before the PS4's eventual launch. E3 2019 would have been perfect for a March 2020 release.

They are not at E3 2019 because they have no more PS4 games after their 2019 line up which btw is insane. But they are going to be an extremely poor year in 2020 which will rival Switch's 2018 and Wii U's 2016 as one of the worst years for a console. I guess they will try to salvage some of it by releasing the PS5 in November with Horizon 2 and Gran Turismo 7, plus the next Bluepoint remake, but i have no faith in PD and Kaz to release a next gen game in 3 year's time, and Bluepoint's next remake is for current gen consoles as well.

In 2021, it would have been three years since God of War and Spiderman launched which should be enough time for Insomaniac and Santa Monica to churn out a sequel on next gen consoles. But QD has all but ended their relationship with Sony so no Detroit 2 in 2021.

Sony is in for a rough few years after 2019.
Didn't they also show Gran Turismo 6, PS All Stars and Puppeteer as well?

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I understand that PS5 probably has something to do with it, but it's weird for them to shut everything down. At least have floor space with playable games and put out a few trailers on YouTube or something, or even confirm that there will be an event at some point in 2019.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Again This is what the end of the cycle looks like

Days Gone
Dreams
MediEvil
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us Part 2
Blood and Truth
Everybodys Golf VR
MLB:The Show 2019