• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Betty cant quote your post. not sure whats going on with era today.
MS fucking sucks. They are shit. You can look at my post history to see how much I loathe Phill Spencer and MS's first party output this gen. Hell, just take a look at my posts from earlier this week complaining about nintendo's first party output.

Sony is different. I compare Sony to Sony from last gen. Sony is the best first party publisher of the last decade or so. And they are taking a year off. This is troubling. I dont know how else to say this.

All the games you mentioned above are games that are 2019 titles. But let's assume for arguments sake that some of these will get pushed to 2020. That still leaves five exclusives for the last two years of the PS4's life cycle.

PS3's final two years are as follows.

1. Journey
  2. Starhawk
  3. PS All Stars
  4. Twisted Metal
  5. God of War Ascension
  6. Beyond
  7. TLOU
  8. Pupeteer
  9. Gran Turismo 6
We can argue the quality of these titles but even in 2012 they had stuff to show for PS3's 2020. Next year, they will have nothing.

Sony makes a billion dollars from PS+ alone this gen. they are making billions every year. last gen they lost billions and still acquired new studios. and then boom, started closing down one studio after another and that is why they have fucking nothing to show next year.

And again, you can call it nonsense but tell me what you expect them to release in 2020 and 2021 for the PS5 besides the games i have already mentioned. Horizon 2, GT7, Spiderman 2, and God of War 2. two exclusives a year. And thats the best case scenario. Everyone here is saying that games like TLOU 2 which was revealed at PSX 2016 wont make the 2019 release. Death Stranding which was revealed in E3 2016 wont receive a 2019 release. Ghosts which was revealed at Paris Game Show in October 2017 wont receive a 2019 release. So why are we so confident that games that will be revealed at E3 2020 will come out in 2021 just a year later?

bottom line is that missing a year is bad

I don't know what to tell you, I think they're ending this gen far stronger than the last one, and yeah we can argue about the quality because i'd trade about 7 of those games for one of Sony's upcoming big titles.

Personally i think you're worries will amount to nought and they'll come back swinging in 2020 to show off all new titles, including a new console, that will make the gap year seem like a good idea in retrospect.

And yeah the site's acting screwy today.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's enough for E3. They shouldn't just fold. They should show up.
Days Gone
Dreams
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us Part 2

have all had significant E3 show times last year. There's no point in showing the same games again, only for the internet to be like "pshhh, the same ass games as last year *yawn*"

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
How can people here saying they are taking a year off and other things when they have releases for early 2019 (Days Gone), and TLOU2, GoT, and DS for 2019-2020.

They just dont want to show nothing that is going to be for PS5

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
The only reason they would skip E3 is if they were planning their own similarly sized media event.

You do not simply stay home while MS and Nintendo drop game announcements and trailers. That would be catastrophic.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The misuse of the word arrogant is truly fascinating to see smh lol.

Again This is what the end of the cycle looks like

Days Gone
Dreams
MediEvil
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us Part 2
Blood and Truth
Everybodys Golf VR
MLB:The Show 2019
Concrete Genie

6 Triple A games
2019/2020 lineup what else do people want? Some are just entitled AF.

Plus Q1 2019 stacked with 3rd party goodness. Some folks are whiny brats.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Again This is what the end of the cycle looks like

Days Gone
Dreams
MediEvil
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us Part 2
Blood and Truth
Everybodys Golf VR
MLB:The Show 2019
Concrete Genie

6 Triple A games

But there's nothing "for ME", therefore = arrogant Sony.

Sony should publicly apologize (they can bow on stage or whatever), commit to E3 '19, and delay PS5 until 2022 so I can get more nebulous PS4 games FOR ME!

;)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm fine with the decision. In fact, I will be happy if all companies start doing the same, empty shows are a waste of time, and showing again the same games would have a negative impact IMO.

And as I've said before, I'm sure that some of these games are not 2019 games and some of them will be launch titles for Ps5.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Anyway, this is in no way "good news". Not having anything to show your community at psx or E3 is just ridiculous. This is why they plan these things ahead. So you can get ready to be able to show things. Id rather have a bad or average showing than none at all. But show the fuck up for your fans.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but does the Reddit guy who predicted all this have any other credibility?
Not reliably, no... That person went on to make a bunch of other claims that eventually started to contradict each other, all hedged with "Well things can change" language, which is always a red flag. Forum search isn't working right now or I'd link you to the thread (it got locked eventually at the OP's request)

Edit: Oh forum search just kicked back on. Here's the thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...9-release-within-1-5-years-of-now-more.81266/

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
People are saying "Last of Us and Death Stranding aren't coming out this year."

Lets remind people what happened this year.

- Sony started off showing a showcase of games that will be released in 2018.
- They announced God of War's release date January 23 2018
- They announced Spider-Man's release date April 4 2018

If these games are going to be released in 2019, then they will show it.

Does anyone remember Video Game Awards? What if they show a new trailer for these two games? That will clearly change everything.

Also, it was reported that Death Stranding was playable from start to finish, which means it's near completion.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/710563/Report+Death+Stranding+is+playable+from+start+to+finish/

Death Stranding and The Last of Us may very well hit 2019 release.
You are missing some context for Spider-Man and God of War. Those situations are much different from Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II.

God of War was confirmed for early 2018 at E3 2017. Spider-Man got a confirmation for 2018 at E3 2017 as well. God of War also had a confirmation that it was playable from start to finish in late 2016. It still didn't come out until April 2018. Now, they are different games and have different development cycles but all I'm saying is we've seen this before.

I'm not ruling out that one or both of them might come out in 2019 but we can't use precedence to predict them. I think if they were really confident in any of the 3 unknowns being a 2019 game, they would have said so.

And it seems likely to have Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II at TGA regardless. I still doubt either one gets a release window there.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, this is in no way "good news". Not having anything to show your community at psx or E3 is just ridiculous. This is why they plan these things ahead. So you can get ready to be able to show things. Id rather have a bad or average showing than none at all. But show the fuck up for your fans.
Talk about entitlement :/.

None of this works this way at all.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was posted last month. Nothing is announced but they are going multiplatform.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/quantic-dream-is-looking-for-direct3d-11-and-12-engineers.73944/

senior-PC-programmer.jpg
You do realize that's to update their pc engine for next gen ,right ? It has nothing to do with going multiplatform.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dude ,they wanted to show ps5 games at 2019 e3 but ps5 is delayed to 2020 due to hardware not being ready probably (amd). So u have to bear 5 more months untill they announce ps5 then and get ready for release in 2020 and show u tons of new games .

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I'm convinced now that he needs to go. Like I said in the other thread he seems to be a walking bad decision.

"I know what we can do to change things up for E3 guys. Instead of having third parties show their games off like usual lets jerk each other off while a guy plays the flute for 15 minutes on stage. Oh and we'll pay for a fancy setup just to show 1 game and then spend a half hour moving everyone."

I value substance and they literally said the reason why they're not doing these conferences is because they have nothing to show. That's a massive failure in planning and one that didn't need to happen if they had bothered to expand their studios this generation.

Its about perspective. I think Sony has made several decisions in the last year that can be interpreted as arrogant. You, of course, see it a different way, and Im fine with that.

Some of you in here have clearly forgotton how to perceive correctly....

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
So let me get this straight. Sony has been showing games that are NOT going to release next year at this year's E3. Which means they show games that are two years away.

So by that logic, the fact that they have NOTHING to show at E3 2019 means they have nothing to show for games that are two years away.
How effin' hard is it to understand that two years away games = PS5 games, and since they still haven't announced the console they are keeping quiet on the games as well?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
E3 has become less prominent as time went on imo
Yeah, with this news, I think E3 is officially dead as we know it and no longer will be the biggest gaming expo of the year to look forward anymore, it'll be just another gaming expo of the bunch IMO. This years Nintendo E3 presentation for example was very dissapointing since it was pretty much all dedicated to freaking Smash, talking about useless stuff such as Mario having a different victory pose compared to Smash Wii U and so on. They are aware that it's no longer worth it to drop every single megaton they have on E3 since they get the similar audience effectiveness of their new announcements through Nintendo Directs, which cost a fuck ton less to produce. Maybe Sony though the same only that they went all the way by completely dropping off E3

Oct 31, 2017
Rofl I didn't know not showing up to e3 is considered arrogant...i.mean how on earth is that being arrogant...
XD Chill dude, I was joking. I'm making fun of people the whole "arrogant Sony" schtick that people around here use. Sony has been on fire and continue to be on fire, I don't think missing E3 will have any effect on them. For all we know they could be planning something much bigger than E3 would allow.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Sony really failed this generation with having enough studios to make hit games.

They were set for this gen the moment MS fucked up and Sony countered with a simple "you can play used games". People forget how bad the first 1.5-2 years of PS4 were though because they weren't prepared well enough and their main studios took over 5 years to put out most of their games. Like I said when the schedules line up that they have enough to show things are great but then those teams disappear for another 3-5 years. They need more studios or teams to fill in the gaps even if it's smaller games like the last Ratchet and Clank.

Honestly this is probably where their VR focus hurts them. They spend so many resources on that that they probably can't or don't want to spend even more on regular gaming than they do.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people putting such emphasis on E3. Nintendo set the precedent...only fanboys think that announcing a game during a week in June is the only way to announce it.

The big boys don't need E3 anymore, and are also making more announcements at their own events, or other conventions/shows (Gamescom, TGS, The Game Awards, etc.)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were set for this gen the moment MS fucked up and Sony countered with a simple "you can play used games". People forget how bad the first 1.5-2 years of PS4 were though because they weren't prepared well enough and their main studios took over 5 years to put out most of their games. Like I said when the schedules line up that they have enough to show things are great but then those teams disappear for another 3-5 years. They need more studios or teams to fill in the gaps even if it's smaller games like the last Ratchet and Clank.

Honestly this is probably where their VR focus hurts them. They spend so many resources on that that they probably can't or don't want to spend even more on regular gaming than they do.

You say this but as far as I can see both the Switch and Xbox suffer this issue but on an even worse scale.

Switch has been really barren this year outside of indies, everything big for it is coming out during the holidays, things should turn a corner next year though.

Xbox's has had a number of empty or disappointing years, not including the cancellations or long gestating times for certain games like Crackdown or Below, there are massive gaps in their first party release schedules for this year and the next.

Unless Xbox suddenly starts releasing knockout hits at a breakneck pace next gen, Sony just have to repeat what they did this gen and they'll be fine.

I think PS5 will have a good launch library if they're choosing to skip E3 to focus on it though.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people putting such emphasis on E3. Nintendo set the precedent...only fanboys think that announcing a game during a week in June is the only way to announce it.

The big boys don't need E3 anymore, and are also making more announcements at their own events, or other conventions/shows (Gamescom, TGS, The Game Awards, etc.)

A PSX would've been nice if planning to skip E3. I can't imagine if it was worthwhile to not have your own event, skip out on the big event, only to announce things at smaller events. I don't see another Sony showcase until PSX 2019.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
No one thinks Sony is just going to go radio silent for next year right?

Like they won't announce or showcase their games some other way?
You guys aren't serious right? lol

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one thinks Sony is just going to go radio silent for next year right?

Like they won't announce or showcase their games some other way?
You guys aren't serious right? lol

I love how everyone is saying Sony is in coast mode with PS4 with freaking Days Gone, Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 waiting in the wings. The hot takes are absolutely nuts.

Sorry Sony took away your ability to snark them to death at E3 2019, everyone. I'm sure they'll still have a presence next year considering they are the market leader.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Too soon I think. Same for GOW. And with Naughty Dog coming in at the tail end of PS4 (safe assumption anyway), it's hard for me to think of what first party exclusive PS5 output they will have ready in 2020.

Guerrilla did say that they want to be able to release a new game every 2-3 years. 2020 would be three years after Horizon.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sony can't match the hype every year

Same goes for MS and Nintendo already broke away with the Direct route

Let E3 be Third Party showcases.

I mean sooner or later things in the pipeline aren't ready and I think the industry in learning to stop showing games way far too off in the distance to play

If rather Sony and MS refocus, take a break from E3

The gaming news cycle is 24/7, not the old days of showcase that needs to be brought to the public at large to get hype and inform them

usually now we have year round reveals. Hell most of the time rumors just spill out of control

let's see how it goes. I'm guessing they know what they're doing

do we really need to see TLoU 2, DS, GoT sneak peaks?
They've been around now what 3 e3s...

If they show them, some will say same ole shit, but I'm guessing they're not ready to announce newer titles that might be next gen console based and then that drowns out these games
Shit some in Era would be going, I'll pass on TLoU2 on ps4 and grab PS5 definitive edition...

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
What is realistic for PS5 launch lineup?

• TLoU 2
  • Death Stranding
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • SCE Japan game 1
  • Third party games
Launch is not a big deal for software, hardware will sell out regardless. SCE is probably wiser to plan for the first holiday.

How I see SCE dev pipeline:
  • ND game 1 (2021-2022)
  • GG game 1 (2020-2021)
  • PD game 1 (2021)
  • SCE Japan game 1 (2020)
  • SCE Japan game 2 (2021)
Partners:
  • Insomniac game 1 (2020)
  • From Software (????)
Announced:
  • TLou 2 (2019)
  • Death Stranding (2019/2020)
  • Ghost (2019/2020)
  • Days Gone (2019)
  • Dreams (2019)

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

PS4 selling 86 million in 5 years and suddenly Sony has failed. Really...

In the real world, there are more games than just the 1st party.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
Obviously, the people you disagree with cant perceive "correctly". If you disagree with people, say why, but it doesnt mean you are suddenly right, and theyre wrong.
He is right though...people are posting without any context or logic, this thread is pretty embarassing. You said yourself "Reactions would be different if MS did this"...not only is that ignoring all the over the top, said Doom and gloom alll over this thread (Some are asking for Layden to get canned", MS will dominate next gen, Arrogant sony, etc)....:::;... it is also logical.

PS and XBOX are NOT on equal footing, Xbox is not in a position to do this, Playstation has the luxury as they are so far ahead in software and sales they are already set for the next 18 months with 5 AAA games coming (6 but everyone ignores MLB lol),. They will come out with their PS5 projects during the PS5 reveal... MS has been getting heat all Gen about first party exclusives, they are getting outsold 2:1...their were even questions of the brands survival so they had to mention scarlett last e3.... Of course reactions would be different, asthey should be, as each companies situation is night and day.

Sony is doing this because it is how their release schedule lines up regards to gearing up for PS5, and it's clear PS5 games are not ready to show yet.. Also, i'd rather devs not have to work on preparing for a conference, it is a total waste. It's 2018...there are better ways to reach an audience.

Context is totally lost in most posts in this thread.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, for all the hysteria about Nintendo skipping E3, they always turned up. One of the big 3 not being there in any capacity is a new thing.

Jun 5, 2018
With the way PS4 is performing right now, there is no way that Sony will announce PS5 leading in to the holiday season 2019, only to release it the year after. It doesn't make any sense, it would hurt its holiday sales.

I'm certain PS4 will be announced before E3 and released November 2019.

May: Playstation Experience - an E3 level type of press conference.
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part I
    • Specs.
    • Services.
    • Backwards Compatibility.
      • God of War (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Spider-Man (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Horizon Zero Dawn (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Days Gone (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Bloodborne (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
        Etc.
  • The Last of Us - Part II (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Dreams (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Ghost of Tsushima (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Concrete Genie (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Death Stranding (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • MediEvil (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Destiny 3 (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Harry Potter (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Call of Duty (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60 FPS on PS5).
  • Ratchet and Clank sequel (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5).
  • Demon's Souls remake (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Studio Japan game (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part II
    • Dualshock 5
    • PS5 design
    • Price
  • Horzion Zero Dawn sequel (Teaser trailer - only on PS5)

June: E3. Playstation will still have a huge presence, at least mind share wise, as everyone wants to know if the newly announced 3rd party games will run on PS5 - which of course they will.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the way PS4 is performing right now, there is no way that Sony will announce PS5 leading in to the holiday season 2019, only to release it the year after. It doesn't make any sense, it would hurt its holiday sales.

• Specs.
    • Services.
        Etc.
    • Dualshock 5
    • PS5 design
    • Price

June: E3. Playstation will still have a huge presence, at least mind share wise, as everyone wants to know if the newly announced 3rd party games will run on PS5 - which of course they will.

If PS5 would be announced before E3 and released in November 2019, wouldn't it be dumb to skip E3 entirely? Sounds like a late 2020 release for PS5 to me.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

• Specs.
    • Services.
        Etc.
    • Dualshock 5
    • PS5 design
    • Price

Arrowhead and Housemarque are also a possibility even if we don't kwon if they are working with Sony.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, the people you disagree with cant perceive "correctly". If you disagree with people, say why, but it doesnt mean you are suddenly right, and theyre wrong.
Fair enough, I didn't have time earlier and there are far worse posts than yours to be honest, I just didn't have time to go through the thread for the more tidiculous posts but in response (it may be a little rambley, it's late and I'm very tired) :

Sony aren't arrogant for not turning up to E3 this year. If anything they were pretty candid saying they have nothing new to show. They've already laid out their hand for the last two years of upcoming games and turning up again for the same games will only disappoint people. By all rumours it seems they are gearing up for PlayStation 5. That's not arrogance, it's a plan of attack.

Will that work? Totally different question but from what we know it seems the most likely scenario they are missing a year when they've released potential GOTY games with five huge titles announced to fire up their next gen announcement.

People are only thinking short term with this, not long term as I believe Sony are. Knee jerk reactions are always terrible emotional responses. I wish people would take a step back and think things through before posting sometimes. It doesn't mean I am right obviously but Sony were arrogant with "next gen starts when we say it does" not "we won't be attending this year as we have nothing new to show" in my opinion.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
Fair enough, I didn't have time earlier and there are far worse posts than yours to be honest, I just didn't have time to go through the thread for the more tidiculous posts but in response (it may be a little rambley, it's late and I'm very tired) :

Sony aren't arrogant for not turning up to E3 this year. If anything they were pretty candid saying they have nothing new to show. They've already laid out their hand for the last two years of upcoming games and turning up again for the same games will only disappoint people. By all rumours it seems they are gearing up for PlayStation 5. That's not arrogance, it's a plan of attack.

Will that work? Totally different question but from what we know it seems the most likely scenario they are missing a year when they've released potential GOTY games with five huge titles announced to fire up their next gen announcement.

People are only thinking short term with this, not long term as I believe Sony are. Knee jerk reactions are always terrible emotional responses. I wish people would take a step back and think things through before posting sometimes. It doesn't mean I am right obviously but Sony were arrogant with "next gen starts when we say it does" not "we won't be attending this year as we have nothing new to show" in my opinion.
Exactly, what they have done is the literal opposite of arrogant, people are trying to spin the meaning of a word in this thread. They were open and straight honest about this year...people want honesty until it's inconvenient.

Jun 5, 2018
If PS5 would be announced before E3 and released in November 2019, wouldn't it be dumb to skip E3 entirely? Sounds like a late 2020 release for PS5 to me.

In my opinion, no. And here is why.

Instead of Sony having a "lackluster" press conference at the Playstation Meeting with not much to show except specs, they should have a proper Playstation 5 blow out press conference somewhere between February and June (E3). I suggest that Sony move Playstation Experience to May, away from TGA in december, but also to get in front of the tidal wave of news during E3. This way Playstation will have the mindshare of gamers during all of May, but also during E3 as everyone will want to know if newly announced games will be playable on PS5.