• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

PlayStation will not host a conference for E3 2019 (No off site event either)

Jun 5, 2018
Nah fam! Unless Sony plans on popping up with a conference somewhere between now and PSX December 2019, plan on a holiday 2020 release. No way Sony is mass producing a new console for next year and not saying a word about it.

And without any leaks. Would be impossible.
Sony will definitely have a press conference before E3 2019 - Sony still needs to promote their upcoming titles after all.

EDIT*

And Sony won't go 13, let alone 18, months, without a press conference in North America.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends if they have a big PS event just before or after E3, as it then becomes redundant for Sony, as it makes then more sense to invest in a big showcase entirely dedicated to PS.

If the leaks are true and the PS5 will be announced early (Q1) 2019, there is no way it is for a fall 2020 launch.
I wish we would get the PS5 sooner than later, but it's looking more and more like 2020 for me. We have the "news" from Kotaku, they won't be at E3 that would be a potential date for a showing. We will have to wait and see.

What are the arguments for #team2020?
According to Jason Schreier of Kotaku devs say it's probably going to be 2020.

May 31, 2018
With the way PS4 is performing right now, there is no way that Sony will announce PS5 leading in to the holiday season 2019, only to release it the year after. It doesn't make any sense, it would hurt its holiday sales.

I'm certain PS4 will be announced before E3 and released November 2019.

May: Playstation Experience - an E3 level type of press conference.
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part I
    • Specs.
    • Services.
    • Backwards Compatibility.
      • God of War (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Spider-Man (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Horizon Zero Dawn (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Days Gone (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Bloodborne (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
        Etc.
  • The Last of Us - Part II (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Dreams (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Ghost of Tsushima (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Concrete Genie (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Death Stranding (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • MediEvil (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Destiny 3 (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Harry Potter (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Call of Duty (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60 FPS on PS5).
  • Ratchet and Clank sequel (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5).
  • Demon's Souls remake (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Studio Japan game (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part II
    • Dualshock 5
    • PS5 design
    • Price
  • Horzion Zero Dawn sequel (Teaser trailer - only on PS5)

June: E3. Playstation will still have a huge presence, at least mind share wise, as everyone wants to know if the newly announced 3rd party games will run on PS5 - which of course they will.
I don’t see how #team2019 still exist. Til the bitter end huh? There’s no way Sony misses rubbing elbows with the biggest names in games media by skipping e3 but launching a few months after it. It’s 2020

Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I dont want to hear it. Its the fact, like you just demonstrated trying to spin it. Yall love E3 and all the sudden its a good move. And its not like they'll still have a direct and floor presence like Nintendo they're skipping it entirely.
Well, it sucks for people who like watching and debating E3 online.
But from a business and marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense and will certainly not hurt Sony and its also not reflecting arrogance, which, in the context of a multibillion dollar business, is a ridiculous concept anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
There’s no way Sony misses rubbing elbows with the biggest names in games media by skipping e3 but launching a few months after it. It’s 2020
That.... is actually a really good point. Up until this point I've been #team2019 but you're right, there's no way they're missing E3 the year they launch a new console.

Oct 26, 2017
That.... is actually a really good point. Up until this point I've been #team2019 but you're right, there's no way they're missing E3 the year they launch a new console.
or they will just rent out an entire hotel, invite all the gaming media to come out and test out the new console for few days. Just like they did just before the ps4 launch.

Oct 31, 2018
Rofl I didn't know not showing up to e3 is considered arrogant...i.mean how on earth is that being arrogant...
I'd hate to see what people would say about Sony if they weren't pumping out the best exclusives every year. Even this year you have GOW, Detroit and Spiderman. And then coming next year and the year after exclusives like Death Stranding, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsutshima, FF7R, Dreams and Days Gone. Sure seems arrogant to me. If anything turning up to e3 with nothing new to announce would be arrogant imo.

Oct 31, 2018
If it's launching first half of 2020 they'll probably reveal it at PSX December 2019. If it's second half of 2020 they'll probably do the full reveal in February or March 2020 with a teaser at PSX 2019.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a really bad move on Sony's part. Even with no new 1P games to announce there's lots of good things they can show at E3, even if it's mostly small and 3P games. Give something like Judge Eyes an extended trailer with lots of people seeing it for the first time and it could really make a difference in how it sells.

If this was Microsoft doing the same thing the response would be completely different.

Oct 27, 2017
I know. all i'm saying if they want to announce the ps5 next year and release it the same year or early 2020, they don't need E3 to generate media buzz.
They already stated they're not doing a Press Conference either as part of E3 OR offsite. It's not happening.

And yes, IF they wanted to they could, but they very clearly do not want to, because the PS5 is not coming out next year. Announced late next year? Probably, though I'm guessing it will depend on what Microsoft does with their announcement plans. I could see Sony with a sliding announcement range starting with teasers at Paris Games Week, all the way up to a full reveal in Feb/March 2020 to mirror the current gen announce/release cycle.

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was hella disappointed, but this just confirms the sad but impending fact that what we know of now is pretty much all Sony has to offer this gen. It's a shame too, because 2016-2018 were stellar freaking years. 2019 sounds like it could be okay (especially if 1 or 2 of the GoT/DS/TLOU trio release), but I was still hoping for a bit more.

Oct 30, 2017
The only mistake Sony made was blowing their load too early in showing still in development games to “win” E3. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have cancelled E3 2019. But the no booth thing is weird, they still could’ve shown off the games they announced imo

Oct 25, 2017
The only mistake Sony made was blowing their load too early in showing still in development games to “win” E3. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have cancelled E3 2019. But the no booth thing is weird, they still could’ve shown off the games they announced imo
This is the weird part. Nintendo, for instance, has presence at the actual place, even if they don't any conferences outside of their E3 Direct stuff. So the fact that Sony won't even have a booth to show off stuff is really, really... strange.

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
that's what you do at E3, companies that havent done that have gotten slammed. that is why its a good move, among other reasons, why they arent going next year. Dont show up to something your making people waste their time over getting seats, tickets, ect

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Console Wars
Must admit, and I don't want this to delve into any kind of console war, but the difference in reaction when Nintendo announced in 2016 that they would only showcase Zelda at E3 (while still having a huge booth) versus Sony announcing that they won't have any kind of presence at all at E3 2019 both conference and booth-wise is rather... fascinating to say the least lol.

May 18, 2018
Must admit, and I don't want this to delve into any kind of console war, but the difference in reaction when Nintendo announced in 2016 that they would only showcase Zelda at E3 (while still having a huge booth) versus Sony announcing that they won't have any kind of presence at all at E3 2019 both conference and booth-wise is rather... fascinating to say the least lol.
Aye lol! I remember thinking how cheap bastards Nintendo was lol! Now, with Sony, I'm thinking... hmmm, I wonder what they're up to? Oops, sorry!

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Console warring. Junior account.
This goes to show how much games are just like politics: since most people on this site are affiliated to the Sony party, they'll blindly justify anything their party leader/president says. it's absolutely crazy.
If this was Nintendo or Microsoft, I can assure you the general tone would be entirely different.

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was hella disappointed, but this just confirms the sad but impending fact that what we know of now is pretty much all Sony has to offer this gen. It's a shame too, because 2016-2018 were stellar freaking years. 2019 sounds like it could be okay (especially if 1 or 2 of the GoT/DS/TLOU trio release), but I was still hoping for a bit more.
There are still going to be great third party games plus what they already have announced. I'd actually rather they concentrate on PS5 to have a great launch window at this point myself.

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com
What is with the persecution complex among Nintendo fans (and fanboys in general) on this site

Oct 29, 2017
Lebanon
Knack 3 on ps5 seems to be consuming all the company's ressources, i expect cancellations for their TV, phone and movie business for it to be completed.

Prepare to be blown

Oct 25, 2017
What is with the persecution complex among Nintendo fans (and fanboys in general) on this site
Look up the definition of a persecution complex before undermining the people actually suffering from that so lightly. Comparing two situations is not that, chief.

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, it sucks for people who like watching and debating E3 online.
But from a business and marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense and will certainly not hurt Sony and its also not reflecting arrogance, which, in the context of a multibillion dollar business, is a ridiculous concept anyway.
Could you please explain why this makes sense from a marketing perspective? I think E3 is part of why ps4 is such a success. It was definitely not their own reveal event.
To me it seems that you reach a far greater audience at E3 than at your own events which are targeted towards your core audience. I think E3 is where you get to turnover xbox and nintendo fans to PS.

Feb 26, 2018
Do you actually believe that Sony in 2019 is the same as Nintendo in 2016?

Oct 27, 2017
Not a persecution, it's real.

I say this as a guy who likes Sony more than Microsoft and Nintendo, but you can't deny the times MS and Nintendo announced they were skipping E3 in a way or another there has been way more doom and gloom than now. I mean, there is also people completely dismissing E3 as irrilevant, while it isn't, at all.

I can understand people being less worried because Sony still has games to release and more announced, but completely dismissing every criticism and some doubts coming from other people is wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
Different context. It’s not like MS where they have gotten flack for their first party line up. Or Nintendo where they came off a struggling Wii U. It’s not a console war thing, it’s just considering context.

Feb 26, 2018

I say this as a guy who likes Sony more than Microsoft and Nintendo, but you can't deny the times MS and Nintendo announced they were skipping E3 in a way or another there has been way more doom and gloom than now. I mean, there is also people completely dismissing E3 as irrilevant, while it isn't, at all.

I can understand people being less worried because Sony still has games to release and more announced, but completely dismissing every criticism and some doubts coming from other people is wrong.
You answered your own concern

Oct 29, 2017

This is the same behaviour that Nintendo fanboys have when someone tries to doubt Nintendo and its world but, strange thing, only Sony users take the blame.
There are rotten apples in every fandom but some fandoms love to play the role of victim more than others...

Oct 28, 2017
This is the same behaviour that Nintendo fanboys have when someone tries to doubt Nintendo and its world but, strange thing, only Sony users take the blame.
There are rotten apples in every fandom but some fandoms love to play the role of victim more than others...
I mean I was a bit baffled to say the least at how really quite benign criticism of the box art of Days Gone was resulting in several users here being quite... offended and taking it so personally. And that's just one example I noticed just over the last week.

So yeah whilst I think LK is missing some context I do disagree with the bolded here and I can definitely see where they're coming from, it's an interesting observation if nothing else.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually believe that Sony in 2019 is the same as Nintendo in 2016?
Different context. It’s not like MS where they have gotten flack for their first party line up. Or Nintendo where they came off a struggling Wii U. It’s not a console war thing, it’s just considering context.
I'd argue that at best the fact that they're coming from a successful year allows to be less skeptical and down from them skipping E3 after having skipped PSX and coming off an E3 that was relatively seen as underwhelming (although I was personally fine with it). Still, doesn't really explain how people can brush off so easily the announcement that they don't have 1st party PS4 games to announce anymore and that they'll entirely miss one of the most important time of the year for the industry. Even seen arguments that it's actually a good and bold move. Just interesting to see the complete opposite reaction to what was seen with different publishers in the past.

Jun 5, 2018
I don’t see how #team2019 still exist. Til the bitter end huh? There’s no way Sony misses rubbing elbows with the biggest names in games media by skipping e3 but launching a few months after it. It’s 2020
You are way to hung up on the past - E3 isn't the end all be all, and it hasn't been for a while. During this generation Playstation, as a brand, has transcended an no longer need E3 - much like Blizzard, Rockstar etc.

I suspect one of the reasons Sony decided to cancel PSX 2018, was to move it away from The Game Awards and into the Spring 2019 - a month or a few weeks before E3, which would render their presence at E3 useless. Also, do you honestly believe Sony will go 12-18 months without a press conference in North America?

Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Could you please explain why this makes sense from a marketing perspective? I think E3 is part of why ps4 is such a success. It was definitely not their own reveal event.
To me it seems that you reach a far greater audience at E3 than at your own events which are targeted towards your core audience. I think E3 is where you get to turnover xbox and nintendo fans to PS.
I dont think Sony sees much marketing value in showing the last of us 2, death stranding and ghost of tsushima again.

And they dont want to show Ps5 stuff yet.

So what do you want them to do at E3?

Oct 29, 2017
Sony just don't have enough to show in 2019. But that's not a criticism in itself They have enough already slated for 2019 (Dreams /Ghosts of Tsushima/Days Gone/Last of Us 2....cant see Death Stranding next year), plus that cool looking graffiti game (?) that, if another publisher had that line up in any given year, it'd be considered a success.

They are holding some stuff back for the PS5 now.

I'm really excited for next gen The exclusives of Sony mean I'm likely to be in. But MS have done enough too to make me realise I'm buying both next gen. More games for me, more jobs for them!

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's only interesting concerning opposite reactions if it's the exact same people making hypocritical comments about similar situations because their favourite company is involved. And even then the only interest would be from people that want to use them in crow mega posts or to use as a gotcha moment in an inevitable later argument about the same old things.

Hopefully most see that every thread goes the same way eventually. There's not more or less of one particular set of fans here, that's a lazy throwback to Neogaf, it just depends on what thread you're in at that time. If it's good news you'll have some saying it isn't while others keep replying to them to say it is. If it's bad news you'll have some bending over backwards to stick up for it while others keep replying to say what they think is wrong. And in both you'll see the usual suspects battling back and forth in between all that like jilted lovers.

Nov 2, 2017
This is a really bad move on Sony's part. Even with no new 1P games to announce there's lots of good things they can show at E3, even if it's mostly small and 3P games.
At this stage in the generation I can’t imagine many 1st or 3rd party developers are willing to dedicate the resources to build a crowd pleasing E3 stage demo.

Pretty massive risk actually when you consider how it could cause a game to slip to next gen and miss out on the PS4’s large install base.